PDA

View Full Version : Nimbus (BANANA)

boulet
02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I've bought Mage the Awakening a few days ago. (I love this book so far btw)

Has anyone been confused by the game mechanics of Nimbus ? How did you understand it ?

TAROT
02-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Each mage has a Nimbus which is representative of the way that they use magic. It can include sights, sounds, smells, winds, temperature shifts, etc. An educated onlooker (i.e. another mage) who sees it should be able to make an educated guess about the mage. (Possibly as to path, Virtue, Vice, philosophy of magic, etc.)

If a mage uses vulgar magic, other mages can see the Nimbus in detail. (While Sleepers are busy making sense of the vulgar magic itself.)

A mage can choose to let a little bit leak through (even to Sleepers) in order to impress someone. A brief flash that the onlooker might interpret as a daydream/hallucination.

A mage might let a little bit leak out involutarily when fulfilling their Vice or Virtue, which others nearby can find disturbing or awesome, each with their own set of complications.

Is that at all helpful?

boulet
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Ok I see. I was confused by the fact that in vulgar magic they mentioned sleepers go oblivious, but on the other hand they would be able to see the nimbus when voluntarily displayed. As you say in the case of vulgar magic they're probably more puzzled by the ongoing effect to notice the nimbus. Makes sense.

I love the example they gave in order to avoid paradox when decaying a wooden platform as covert spell : just put construction sign before the ambush, sleepers will assume the deck was unstable... Reminds me of Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner :D