PDA

View Full Version : Overconfident (PEACH)

Aleolus
02-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Overconfident
Your appearance and personality are an actual force to contend with, guarding you from attacks.
Effect: You gain an deflection bonus to your AC equal to one-half your Charisma modifier.

Drohem
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Personally, I don't see the logic behind this feat. However, the bonus is so minimal that I wouldn't object to the feat; unless the average in character in your campaign has 22+ Cha with no issues. If I were a PC in a campaign using these feat, I wouldn't consider wasting a feat on it unless I had a 18+ Cha score.

Skunkape
02-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Interesting idea, but I think I would change it to something like the following.

You get a plus to your Attack Bonus based on your Charisma bonus, but loose a similar amount from your AC. Overconfident people tend to be sure of themselves to the point where they aren't concerned with the consequences, so you get the plus to attack, but suffer because you leave yourself open to attack.

Depending on the trade off, this feat either has a cost or the plus and minus cancel each other out so while this is a feat, it's not as effective as others.

Here's what I mean by the above. If the feat gives you a plus to your AB equal to your CHA bonus, but only gives you a minus to your AC at half your CHA bonus, then the bonus outweighs the minus. If you switch so that you receive half for attack and loose full for AC then this isn't as effective. Hope that gets my point across.

But like I said at the beginning, it's an interesting concept.

Maelstrom
02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Heh, that text would allow those with Combat Expertise to get a permanent bonus.

Say they have an 18 Cha, +4 to attack, -2 to AC. They just use combat expertise to trade +2 att for their AC lost and they have a permanent +2 att. Not bad for a single feat.

rabkala
02-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Over confidence does sound like it should be a flaw instead of a feat. Overconfidence is a bad thing- self absorbed, rash, arrogant, insolent, narcissistic, conceited and vane. Maybe a different name...

It might set a bad president to allow just any old ability to be used for any old random purpose with use of a feat.

All that said, at least deflection bonuses do not stack...

Skunkape
02-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Heh, that text would allow those with Combat Expertise to get a permanent bonus.

Say they have an 18 Cha, +4 to attack, -2 to AC. They just use combat expertise to trade +2 att for their AC lost and they have a permanent +2 att. Not bad for a single feat.

I was thinking about the GURPS disadvantage of the same name while looking his feat. You get character points for taking the disad, so it has some benefit, but, since it's a disad, you have some problems with it as well. That's why, if I were allowing that as a feat, I'd probably go with a plus/minus worth half of your ability score mod so that there wouldn't be quite the big loop hole in the feat!:D