PDA

View Full Version : Ok...noob question

Shadow Dweller
02-06-2008, 06:42 PM
What are the (PEACH) titles I keep seeing? any help on this?

Riftwalker
02-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Off the top of my head I can't remember the acronym but it's basically a label saying that the author wants constructive criticism on whatever they're posting.

Farcaster
02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah... I don't know either.

Drohem
02-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Please Examine and Critique Honestly

Mulsiphix
02-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Damn you Drohem. I was going to have some fun acronym fun :(

Skunkape
02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
The only other place I've seen PEACH used is on the Wizards boards. I'm guessing, and I could be wrong, that it got it's main start there?

nijineko
02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
well, if it was over on wotc... wouldn't that be:

P lease flame my post.
E xult over how lame my post is with nitpicky and self-contradictory admonitions.
A ssault me personally and accuse me of violating rules of posting which don't actually exist.
C ritical and overbearing unfounded opinions welcome.
H ave fun referring to acronyms and other posts that have been moved to the archives and are not easy to find... oh and don't include links.

or maybe that was just a few of the regulars, and not the forum as a whole.... ;)

Shadow Dweller
02-07-2008, 09:45 AM

P lease flame my post.
E xult over how lame my post is with nitpicky and self-contradictory admonitions.
A ssault me personally and accuse me of violating rules of posting which don't actually exist.
H ave fun referring to acronyms and other posts that have been moved to the archives and are not easy to find... oh and don't include links.

or maybe that was just a few of the regulars, and not the forum as a whole.... ;)
ROFL, I know all about that version of Peach from over there. I was a long time regular poster on the MTG boards, namely the YMtC(You Make the Card) forum, ran a few contests back in the day, had a casual deck critique forum. Too many of those threads turned into nothing more than flame fests. I really wish now that I'm back in my old stomping grounds I hadn't ebay'd 95% of my MTG collection. Ah well.

nijineko
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
yeah, at least you made something from it. i had a strong premonition that i should buy the cards when they first came out, and i didn't. would have made a fair amount of money on it too. sigh. ^^ i keep telling myself that i'll listen next time....

Drohem
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Yes, I rarely visit the WotC D&D boards anymore. If I go there is it to check out the d20 Modern boards.

cplmac
02-07-2008, 08:13 PM

P lease flame my post.

I have to totally agree with you. That is why I am glad to have found P&PG. Someone might not agree with you, but at least on here, everyone is friendlier.

Skunkape
02-08-2008, 07:01 AM

P lease flame my post.

LOL! Too True!

Guess what I should have said was, that's what it was supposed to be over at the WotC boards, but quickly changed to your version! I really never understood the hostility that occurs over there, but hey at least that doesn't happen here!

boulet
02-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Maybe moderators don't do their job there ? Or maybe it's a troll den :)

Mulsiphix
02-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I've found nijineko's breakdown of PEACH to be true on many forums. The last forum I was a huge part of only had a single moderator and he hadn't logged into the site for over two years :eek:. It was a jungle. I wasn't liked to well when I was made a moderator but after a year things were much better. I've since moved on as the program the website was based around is pretty much dead (including support from the author). I still wake up at night though sometimes remembering the hellish first few weeks of bringing order. It was PEACH every single day for me and the admin didn't believe in banning. Very glad to have found PnPG :p

boulet
02-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Banning ? Banning ? You believe Farcaster would have the guts to kick a member from this forum ?

Let me doubt it ! I think he's just... * zap of a lightning bolt before boulet finishes his sentence *

Riftwalker
02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Banning ? Banning ? You believe Farcaster would have the guts to kick a member from this forum ?

Let me doubt it ! I think he's just... * zap of a lightning bolt before boulet finishes his sentence *

It's happened before! But we don't like to talk about that...

rabkala
02-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Banning should be a final step when all else fails. We must endeavor to make the site a friendly place where people feel free to be themselves (like they would be in church with the cops and mother watching) ;). What good is a wonderful resource like this, if people do not feel comfortable coming here to use it? I thought for many years that sites like WoTC forums needed some discipline.

nijineko
02-09-2008, 04:18 AM
well, they don't want to scare off soon-to-be-paying customers. ^^ not saying that it's all money driven, just saying.

Mulsiphix
02-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Many forums lack any discipline. The problem is that some people just can't take a hint or downright refuse to follow the rules. In those instances I believe banning is acceptable, even if only temporarily. If somebody doesn't respond to a temp ban then they leave little choice for those in charge.

Skunkape
02-11-2008, 07:11 AM
The only people I've had to ban from my forum are spammers, who only sign up for the forum to, well spam, and since they aren't contributing to the forum anyway, there's no loss in them being kicked.:D

tesral
02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Modration requires a light hand. Used poorly it can kill a fourm.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Modration requires a light hand. Used poorly it can kill a fourm.Not enough or a complete lack there of can most certainly kill a forum. Been there, seen that, hope I never see it again, know that I will :rolleyes:

tesral
02-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Not enough or a complete lack there of can most certainly kill a forum. Been there, seen that, hope I never see it again, know that I will :rolleyes:

Too much, too little, same result. I've seen both and it is not pretty in either direction.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Finesse is a tricky mistress indeed. The best forum requires just a pinch of moderation to keep the peace. I hope this forum stays this pleasant as the player registry and member count grows.

cplmac
02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I've only been on sites where there was no moderating being done, or at least that is what it seemed like. It is nice to see the Moderators here actually join in the discussions. Shows that they do read the posts. I think that might be what keeps the "undesirables" from joining.

Farcaster
02-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Banning should be a final step when all else fails. We must endeavor to make the site a friendly place where people feel free to be themselves

Modration requires a light hand. Used poorly it can kill a fourm.

I completely agree with these sentiments. In the year and a half since Pen & Paper Games opened, we have had to ban only eighteen accounts. All of which, except one instance, were spam accounts. I'm sure we'd have a lot more spam attempts, but the "No Spam!" question on the registration form seems to keep all but the most dedicated spammers away. They're also easy to spot, since they never detail their profile.

I also am of the sentiment that moderation needs to be done carefully. I am loathe to shut conversations down. Unlike many forums, locked threads are a rarity here. It is only with great deliberation that we will actually "moderate" a post. And frankly, it it is blissfully not necessary 99.9% of the time. While this has something to do with having good staff, I think the biggest contributing factor is that we have an excellent member base. I'm not sure what to attribute that to though.

boulet
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the biggest contributing factor is that we have an excellent member base. I'm not sure what to attribute that to though.

I can't put it into a formal mathematic equations but my internet social theory predicts that a group of person (wether on a forum irc channel, mailing list...) usually attracts people with similar demeanor, or make them follow the expected local behaviour. If you and your mods were to become less and less involved in your forum, and should the majority of expressing members change of nature, I'm pretty sure the dynamic and friendliness would change quickly. I've seen that many times. By experience I would say that most internet social entities are ephemeral anyway :/

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
While this has something to do with having good staff, I think the biggest contributing factor is that we have an excellent member base. I'm not sure what to attribute that to though.I personally believe a great deal of this forums "general behavior" is the result of the age of members. While age is hardly a defining train in and of itself, it usually goes a long way when maturity is concerned. The average member seems to be highly intelligent and able to respect their fellow peers when differences of opinions arise. One of the things I find most stimulating about this forum are the in depth discussions that are full of concepts, personal experience, and endless amounts of general theory.

I think active moderators is always a good thing. No matter where you are on the forum a moderator is usually not far, at least I get this feeling in general (before becoming one myself of course). I don't think most would act out if moderators are not present but I do think many are more patient and remain reserved for a greater period of time before finally "blowing their top" so to speak. Few feel comfortable goofing off when the boss is staring in your direction :p.

Finally something that makes me feel extra gooey inside about this forum is that it is fully alive and kicking. I've visited many forums that felt like they were slowly dying. Problems arise that need tending to that administrators just ignore. Certain members seem to go out of their way to be excessively rude and nobody seems to care. New members are either rare or have a very short life span of activity when they do come to the forum. These and many other things can often leave you feeling like the forum is "sick" or could be doing a lot better in general. We have a suggestions box forum, Farcaster makes changes and additions on a regular basis to the forums feature set, the moderators are very active in a variety of forum discussions, and new members are frequent and welcomed with open arms. All of these things result in a very "family" like atmosphere that I find both warm and inviting.

nijineko
02-13-2008, 02:45 PM
gooey gumby mulsiphix! ^^ and with you to stick the works together, we'll just keep on going! =D

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
gooey gumby mulsiphix! ^^:eek: I love Gumby! The cartoon that is. I was always a Pokey man myself :p

http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/44323/2000503749921486725_rs.jpg

nijineko
02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
you know, that actually fits you, mulsiphix. ^^ once i get around to coughing up the loot, i'll get myself a custom icon.

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for noticing :D

nijineko
02-17-2008, 12:36 AM
;D i meant the pokey, but your avatar does too. ^^

rabkala
02-17-2008, 03:51 AM
I was thinking the powederpuff girls would be more suiting. ;)

tesral
02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
me/ watches the topic lying on the ground gasping for breath.

rabkala
02-17-2008, 04:52 PM
(bad Spanish accent)
TOPIC!
We don't need no stinking topic.

And I thought I was the only one who wondered how these threads degenerate into chaos so quickly... I think the question was answered by the fourth post, then it was just some harmless fun posting. No real harm in that sometimes. I might say something, but a wise man once said

Modration requires a light hand. Used poorly it can kill a fourm. :p

tesral
02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
(bad Spanish accent)
TOPIC!
We don't need no stinking topic.

Si senoir.

me/ stabs topic with my rapier which I do not use right handed.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Off topic conversation is inevitable. Attempting to fight it results in overworked moderators fighting an uphill battle. Been there, done that :rolleyes:. I actually enjoy the powderpuff girls :D

tesral
02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Off topic conversation is inevitable. Attempting to fight it results in overworked moderators fighting an uphill battle. Been there, done that :rolleyes:. I actually enjoy the powderpuff girls :D

Beware the eyes....

nijineko
02-19-2008, 04:37 AM
he probably had that surgery done, you know, the one to make his eyes bigger?

i think we pretty much answered the question. unless someone wants to keep coming up with more variations of peach. ^^