PDA

View Full Version : Morton's Favorite Computer Goodies

MortonStromgal
02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
I just replaced my old 486 SX-33 vpn server (running slackware) with a linksys rv042, its small, quiet and was easy to configure. Well worth the $150. I thought I would share. I figured id make it an all inclusive post that I can just add to on occasion rather than tie up threads ;)

Farcaster
02-05-2008, 06:22 PM
486? Wow. I haven't heard of anyone using one of those in years, even for a server.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Pretty crazy that an entire PC was replaced by a small little box. Kinda like the original Calculator to today's hand held versions. Alright not quite as the calculator size difference is insane. Still, quite impressive :rolleyes:

tesral
02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
A toast to the old 486. Without Linux it would have been toast a long time ago. Well served oh silicon one. Rest in pieces.

nijineko
02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
i used to have a stack of x86s. 2, 3, and 4. ^^ even had some models older than that. plus stuff on the mac side. had this one laptop that had all of 4mb of ram, and could only run dos. the processor ran at 8 or 16 mhz. it weighed about 15-20 lbs. more like a laphurt than a laptop. =D

tesral
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
i used to have a stack of x86s. 2, 3, and 4. ^^ even had some models older than that. plus stuff on the mac side. had this one laptop that had all of 4mb of ram, and could only run dos. the processor ran at 8 or 16 mhz. it weighed about 15-20 lbs. more like a laphurt than a laptop. =D

I've ditched most of the old junk. I had XTs and ATs and even a 286 laptop. Got to streamline the life here, too much old crap.

Freejack
02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Cool beans. I just picked up a third monitor and third video card for my XP box. Now I just need to replace the 21" CRT with a nice fast LCD.

:)

Carl

MortonStromgal
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Best free stuff for Windows

http://www.winaddons.com/top-300-freeware-software/

some of my favorites

Wireshark, Mediamonkey, AutoIT, CCleaner, Sysinternals, Virtual PC.

boulet
02-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Nice link, thanks !

One of the things I hate ? Looking for a freeware tool for a specific task and spending an hour finding the really freeware program that the search engines claimed to find... Last one in date : binary files comparison software, that was annoying :(

Mulsiphix
02-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Nice link, thanks !

One of the things I hate ? Looking for a freeware tool for a specific task and spending an hour finding the really freeware program that the search engines claimed to find... Last one in date : binary files comparison software, that was annoying :(I actually had to search for a byte to byte comparison duplicate file finder recently. Took forever :(. A really great freeware tweak guide for XP and Vista: TweakGuides Tweaking Companion (http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html). I've kept all the PC parts from abandoned PC's over the last seven years. Most are completely useless now and I don't have enough of anything to put together a complete PC. I need to buy one of those gold recycling kits and made a little $$$ :cool:

rabkala
02-09-2008, 02:28 AM
I understand none of this! Since when is Greek the forum language?

rabkala
02-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Computer Greek that is... :p

nijineko
02-09-2008, 02:42 AM
ah, good old byte-byte comparison stuff. speaking of old things, i have this one game that when you installed it, the first floppy actually reprogrammed your floppy controller to recognize the encrypted customized format that the rest of the game floppys were formatted in. =D "chamber of the sci-mutant priestess" if i recall correctly. still in the box. (thanks, dad!)

Mulsiphix
02-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Computer Greek that is... :pYour not computer savvy rabkala? I figured you for a techie :o

tesral
02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
ah, good old byte-byte comparison stuff. speaking of old things, i have this one game that when you installed it, the first floppy actually reprogrammed your floppy controller to recognize the encrypted customized format that the rest of the game floppys were formatted in. =D "chamber of the sci-mutant priestess" if i recall correctly. still in the box. (thanks, dad!)

I hated stuff like that. Don't go messing with my machine without my permission.

nijineko
02-13-2008, 03:46 PM
heheheh. i think if you actually read the license, it mentioned that installing the game was the same as permission to do that.... hmmm, i could go find the box and check. someday. ^^

it was nice and backed up the original controller settings and restored them once the game was over. just don't crash the game.... ;D

boulet
02-13-2008, 04:05 PM
And the point to all this mess with the floppy controller was ? I don't get why they bothered doing that in the first place :rolleyes:

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
And the point to all this mess with the floppy controller was ? I don't get why they bothered doing that in the first place :rolleyes:Because the act itself was elite :cool:

nijineko
02-14-2008, 08:21 AM
the rest of the floppys were custom formatted in a non-pc format. so they could not be read by any pc. the only way to install the game was to have the first floppy in the set to reprogram your floppy controller so that it could read the custom format. early form of copy protection.

tesral
02-14-2008, 10:05 AM
the rest of the floppys were custom formatted in a non-pc format. so they could not be read by any pc. the only way to install the game was to have the first floppy in the set to reprogram your floppy controller so that it could read the custom format. early form of copy protection.

That sucked of course. I have yet to find a copy protection scheme that didn't suck for the end user.

And none of them work. Back in the day there where all manner of copy protection schemes. On the C-64 I had a box full of cracker programs for the various programs so you could back the disk up (the old 5.25 floppies were notorious for going bad) and play your game without finding the fifth word on page 7 of the manual, or reading off some number from a hard to read (so it couldn't be pohotocopied) low contrast wheel thing.

Solution, you ran the copy cracker to get a copy. Then you ran the security cracker on the the disk copy, it removed the security "features" and you never messed with that again. The original went in the box and never got used.

Amiga had similar programs to get floppy games to install to the hard drive. Amiga was flexable about the bootblock. So many games had custom boot blocks and you booted from the game disk. As we got more and more hard drives this became a pain. You didn't want to reboot for every game. Once again the "feature" was the bug. We also had X-copy that did a raw write of a disk and would copy anything even Mac and PC disks.

nijineko
02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
...or reading off some number from a hard to read (so it couldn't be pohotocopied) low contrast wheel thing.

oh, you've played starflight too?

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
*Gives a virtual hug to Daemon Tools*

MortonStromgal
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Core Force for being a pretty kick butt and free firewall
http://force.coresecurity.com/

Beryl for making Linux look cool
http://www.beryl-project.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM

cplmac
02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Talking about older computers, I still have the 386 SX that runs at 20 megahertz with the turbo button turned on. We started to let the 2 year old play some of the games on it, so that she was happy and not trashing the newer computer. Unfortunately, the monitor died. Haven't seen anywhere that had an old enough monitor that will work with it, let alone one of the exact make.

spotlight
02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Need a 'new' monitor? Check with your local hole in the wall type store, the kind that sells used comps.

tesral
02-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Talking about older computers, I still have the 386 SX that runs at 20 megahertz with the turbo button turned on. We started to let the 2 year old play some of the games on it, so that she was happy and not trashing the newer computer. Unfortunately, the monitor died. Haven't seen anywhere that had an old enough monitor that will work with it, let alone one of the exact make.

Yep, used computer stores. I would dige around and ship you one by you can find SVGA 17' CRTs around here for 10 bucks. Shipping would cost you more.

Are you looking for VGA or EGA?

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 02:36 AM
>Content Deleted For Security Reasons

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 02:38 AM
-Was just a reply to an Eisein Quote

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Was just about closed source versus open source and how to find that stuff.

MortonStromgal
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Not everything on that website is open source (nor did I claim it to be), its all free. Likewise not all open source software is free.

freeware != open source
open soucre != freeware

though arguably some of the stuff listed on the top 300 is trialware.

from http://www.wireshark.org/about.html

WiresharkŪ is available under the GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) version 2. See the General Questions (http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#sec1) section of the FAQ for more details.

boulet
02-22-2008, 11:21 AM
freeware != open source
open soucre != freewareI didn't realize C ANSI had become a sub set of English language :D

cplmac
02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Yep, used computer stores. I would dige around and ship you one by you can find SVGA 17' CRTs around here for 10 bucks. Shipping would cost you more.

Are you looking for VGA or EGA?

Without specifically going and checking, I believe it is a VGA. It was also a 14 inch screen. The make of the computer is Cumulus. Bought it in November of 1991. It was the largest system available in this area at that time. 80 MB hard drive with 2 MB of RAM. A year and a half later, upgraded the RAM to 4MB, which is all the more that it can go. Can't complain about it, since it got me through college.

nijineko
02-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I didn't realize C ANSI had become a sub set of English language :D

it's an artform (http://www.asciimation.co.nz/)....

tesral
02-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Without specifically going and checking, I believe it is a VGA. It was also a 14 inch screen. The make of the computer is Cumulus. Bought it in November of 1991. It was the largest system available in this area at that time. 80 MB hard drive with 2 MB of RAM. A year and a half later, upgraded the RAM to 4MB, which is all the more that it can go. Can't complain about it, since it got me through college.

Then any monitor will do. You don't need a speical one. Any SVGA monitor will also do VGA modes. Find a used PC store and pick one.

nijineko
03-01-2008, 12:42 PM
i used to have about 20... until i had to move. ^^