PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to TotalCon??

upidstay
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Anybody going to Total Confusion, aka TotalCon in Mansfield, Massachussetts? It's the weekend of feb 23rd. I'm going just for the D+D, but there are tons of other games there, from board to minis, LARPing, painting contests, and lots of stuf for younger gamers too. www.Totalcon.com (http://www.Totalcon.com) is the website, you can pre-register until the 15th, mail it in or do it online via Paypal. Hope to see you there.:D

cplmac
02-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I have never been to anything like this. Although, I have never heard of one being somewhere close enough to where I live. I am curious as to what the cost is to attend one of these conventions? Also, is it just to get people there and sell them stuff or is there actually games being played there too? Maybe sometime there might be something like this closer to me so that I can get to check it out.

Drohem
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Depending on the convention, a pass for all days can run anywhere from $25-85$.

Usually you can buy a day-pass or shopper-only pass for $5-$15.

You usually get a discount if you register in advance. You can usually show and just buy a pass for one day to participate in some of the scheduled events.

Most conventions have an auction. You can buy a day-pass or shopper-pass and go to the auction.

Most conventions usually have an open room where vendors and merchants are selling their wares. A day-pass or shopper-pass will grant you access to this room to do some shopping.

Most conventions are done in a hotel and have a special room rate for convention goers.

spotlight
02-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Well, there you have it folks. At least someone is talking about this years' cons.!!!! Now, does anyone know of any for Dallas??? I'm dieing to get to one. H'aint been in ten years.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Seriously sign me up for one in Dallas. That is a trip I can make :D

upidstay
02-06-2008, 06:43 AM
I just Googled "gaming conventions" and it sent me to a website that listed a bunch of them.

Mulsiphix
02-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Got a link to that website upistay?

Maelstrom
02-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Depending on the convention, a pass for all days can run anywhere from $25-85$.

Usually you can buy a day-pass or shopper-only pass for $5-$15.

You usually get a discount if you register in advance. You can usually show and just buy a pass for one day to participate in some of the scheduled events.

Most conventions have an auction. You can buy a day-pass or shopper-pass and go to the auction.

Most conventions usually have an open room where vendors and merchants are selling their wares. A day-pass or shopper-pass will grant you access to this room to do some shopping.

Most conventions are done in a hotel and have a special room rate for convention goers.

D&D Experience this month in the Washington DC area is actually free to attend, but it costs money to play. I'm playing one 4th edition session, which cost 6$.

upidstay
02-08-2008, 07:42 AM
http://www.nggnet.com/features/Conventions.htm

I think this is the link I used. I googled "gaming conventions".

Mulsiphix
02-08-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.nggnet.com/features/Conventions.htm

I think this is the link I used. I googled "gaming conventions".Just what I was looking for. Thank you ;)

nijineko
02-10-2008, 06:03 AM
i have never actually been to a convention. which is perhaps a good thing. i haven't become an otaku yet either.

upidstay
02-10-2008, 08:18 PM
What's an "Otaku"???

rabkala
02-10-2008, 09:02 PM
What's an "Otaku"???
It is either a hermaphradidtic squid person form the Vega system or a pathological-techno-fetishist-with-social-deficit. I guess to us westerners it is mostly just a particularly bad geek, although I would prefer squid person. ;)

Mulsiphix
02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
What's an "Otaku"???The word otaku is used with some controversy as it was originally used to describe socially inept nerds who are obsessed with one thing in particular (anime, manga, pop stars, whatever). Some people wear the name otaku with a great sense of pride, others see it as an insult as many Japanese people would. It's like calling someone a loser (only ruder).

nijineko
02-11-2008, 05:59 AM
woohoo! next japanese lesson!

otaku in japan otaku actually means someone who is obsessed (read: bad connotation) with something to an unhealthy degree. most otaku are into things that would be referred to as fetishes here in the states, and in some cases will get you arrested. however, since english ambushed japanese in a dark alley and hit it on the head, it came away with this grammer as meaning someone who is really obsessed with anime and manga. more anime than manga.

just for the record and so you don't make the kitty cringe:

anime is pronounced [ah-knee-may] with no extra emphasis on any syllable and each syllable being of equal length.
manga is pronounced [mah-nn-gah] with no extra emphasis on any syllable and each syllable being of equal length.
otaku is pronounced [oh-tah-coo] with no extra emphasis on any syllable and each syllable being of equal length.

and in case you were wondering... nijineko is pronounced [knee-gee-nay-koh] with no extras, and equal length, blah blah. ^^

please be kind and don't make kitty cringe. ;D

examples from the states: die hard rocky horror mountain picture show fans? otaku. likes to watch cartoons and anime? nah. obsessively watches anime to the exclusion of everything else? oh yeah. mulsiphix and a certain d-----bop? no comment ;D

i know where you can get more free lessons (other than from me) in japanese if anyone is interested.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
i know where you can get more free lessons (other than from me) in japanese if anyone is interested.I love learning a little bit here and there on the board though ;)

upidstay
02-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Ummmm, so back to my original post (I love watching posts change subjects completely. I was wondering who I might meet at a con, and now I'm getting lessons in Japanese!!:D

Anybody going to TotalCon???

nijineko
02-13-2008, 03:03 AM
well, i could tell you how to pronounce "totalcon" in japanese... but i'm afraid that's too far for me to travel on my budget and time constraints.

gdmcbride
02-13-2008, 04:46 AM
There is a con here in Dallas this very month.

ConDFW. There will be gaming all weekend as well as Peter Beagle, the author of the Last Unicorn and an MST3K-like session on Friday night called 'Talking during the Movie'.

go to www.condfw.org for details.

I am the programming director and can answer any questions.

Gary

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Holy crap right in my back yard! I need to figure out if I can find something to do with my kids. Other than gaming, what else will be at the con gdmcbride?

gdmcbride
02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Holy crap right in my back yard! I need to figure out if I can find something to do with my kids. Other than gaming, what else will be at the con gdmcbride?

Visiting the web site will give complete information. Its a small con -- 300 to 500 people. Panels, 50+ guests, readings by authors, dealers room, art show, room parties, gaming, talking during the movie, a sci-fi spelling bee...

It's a con. Plus you can learn about all the other Dallas cons that will occur all year.

Gary

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Many thanks for the info ;)

spotlight
02-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey yeah. Glad to hear of this one. I'll be there, especially with such a nice price. I think I'll set up vacation time for Friday and Monday(to rest). That way I won't have to call in sick!

Now I wonder, which form of Illuminate will they present? Shall I bring my factory deck?

spotlight
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey yeah. Glad to hear of this one. I'll be there, especially with such a nice price. I think I'll set up vacation time for Friday and Monday(to rest). That way I won't have to call in sick!

Now I wonder, which form of Illuminate will they present? Shall I bring my factory deck?

nijineko
02-17-2008, 03:34 AM
so now we STILL don't know if anyone is going to totalcon.... ^^

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:37 AM
I doubt anybody is. After two pages, nothing. It starts in five days.

nijineko
02-19-2008, 05:11 AM
ara. hopefully upidstay will give us a report on it.

upidstay
02-20-2008, 06:45 AM
I will keep you all posted. Pre-registered for friday and saturday. Playing alot of "characters provided" adventures.
One is an "all elf" adventure, then some Car Wars (need some mayhem and destruction). Playing one called "Unleash your inner ogre" where the characters are, yep you guessed it, ogres. That one sounds like fun. Also playing an all dwarf adventure where we have to free the sacred homeland from the goblin hordes.
I'll let you all know how it was.

upidstay
02-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Got back really early sunday morning from the con. Had a frickin' blast. Here's how it went:

Left friday morning in the middle of a snow storm. Ended up getting 8" of the white stuff. That plus a 100 mile drive made an interesting ride. Made it there no problem. Got upgraded to a suite (with 2 beds) after they ran out of regular rooms with 2 beds (my friend Steve and I are close, but not THAT close).

1st adventure was a D+D 3.5, all elf adventure. I got stuck playing the cleric, wanted an archer. Couldn't roll above a 7 the whole game, but my Recitation and Haste spells saved the game, and my summoned Celestial Bear scared off the horses, saving us from having to fight mounted troops.

2nd event was Car Wars. I'm a total newb to this game, and we played in a free for all with 12 other veteran players. Needless to say, I got turned into a red mist in the first 5 minutes. Still had a blast, and NOW know how to play.

3rd event was an "AD+D variant". This meant you could play any version from AD+D to 3.5, as long as you stuck to the rules. Great story line, DM was a very nice, veteran player. But we got off on waaaaaay to many tangeants, had 1 player who kept wanting to scout out everything, and basically wasted 2 hours of a 4 hour game slot doing nothing.

4th event was the ogre game. We were a bunch of ogres trying to get a curse making us all good lifted. Had a frickin' blast. I had a +1 spiked chain of Speed. Got to smash lots of stuff.:D

5th and final was an all dwarf suicide mission. We had to get into our ancestral citadel homeland, open the gates to let the dwarf armies in. Under the noses of 3000 orcs, hundreds of ogres, and a few dozen giants. We were told it was a suicide mission, and were all expected to die good, dwarven deaths. Got off to a bumpy start with some of the players not using their abilities, but the final tally was 1 dire bear, 24 ogres, 5 ettins, 4 ogre magi, 1 formorian giant, and 250+ orcs dead. All by 6 dwarves. Oh, and we opened the gate, got our citadel back. My friend Steve, playing a Paladin, criticaled the formorian, almost dropped him with one shot. Basically saved the party. I was in negative hp 4 times, but had the Die Hard feat (lets you function, 1 action only, in - hp). Awesome fight. Thanks Doug!!:D

Definitely going back next year. Great convention. I highly recomend it to anybody in the New England area. Very nice hotel, indoor pool, good resteraunt. Con had a pretty good dealers room. Reaper Miniatures was there doing painting classes, demos, contests. There was pretty much something for everyone. Very family/kid friendly. Lots of RPGA events, tons of board games, video game room with an XBox 360, a Wii, and 2 PS2's.

Anyway, thats it. Had a blast, can't wait until next year.:D:D:D

Drohem
02-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Right on! Glad you had a blast. :)

crazycongirl
01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, next year is finally here and the role-playing area at TotalCon has grown again!!! Once again it will be at the Holiday Inn in Mansfield, MA on February 19-22, 2009. This year over 120 slot choices in role-playing alone!

Hightlights include events hosted by:

Frank Mentzer, founder of the RPGA and game designer at TSR,inc w/ Gary Gygax in the 80's.

Jay Libby from DillyGreenBeanGames

Brad Younie from Carnivore Games

Mark Edwards, writer, Catalyst Game Labs (running shadowrun events)

Andre Kruppa running theatrical style Call of Cthulhu games

plus 14 slots of Living Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder Society, TC Realms, GURPs, D20, ShadowRun, Call of Cthulhu, AD&D, Castles and Crusades, and more!

Other goodies are full board game area, miniatures, young player area, video games, indie games, exhibit hall, championships, tournaments, open board gaming w/ on-site library of games and special industry guests.

Check out all the good things at www.totalcon.com/Events.html (http://www.totalcon.com/Events.html)

All for just $30 for 4 days of fun filled gaming or $10 per day plus ticket fees. Pre-reg open until Feb. 15, 2009. Group discounts available. Only $85 starting rate for hotel rooms with code TC9! Easy to get to...exit 7a off route 95 in MA.

Come join the fun!

crazycongirl
01-14-2010, 08:37 AM
It's time for TotalCon to roll around again!! TotalCon 24 has grown once more and will be held February 18-21, 2010 at the Holiday Inn in Mansfield, MA. www.totalcon.com (http://www.totalcon.com)

This year will feature 150 role-playing slot choices alone!! Over 500 slot choices spanning the entire convention spread over all gaming genres.

We have several RP Industry Guests including Frank Mentzer who will be offering a very special event for Old School D&D players:
"Palace of the Vampire Queen" (the first D&D module ever published! 1976)
4-12 players, Basic D&D, low level (3-4), minimal rules
* All participants receive a signed souvenir certificate!
* As run at GaryCon 1 (2009: the first convention commemorating the passing of Gary Gygax) "PVQ, as we old-timers call it, was published by a Michigan company called Wee Warriors. Tactical Studies & Rules (later TSR) hadn't yet realized that modular adventures could be viable products. For that matter, Wee Warriors also produced the only blank character sheets for the game. My how things have changed since 1976...
But anyhow, the Palace is a very disorganized place, the oldest of Old-style dungeons. Since I'm running for lower level characters, you won't be facing the Queen herself (trust me)... but there's lots of fun along the way."

Also Jay Libby, Brad Younie, Andre Kruppa, Mark Edwards, Bedrock Games, and the RPGBomb crew.

Full event listings and pre-reg info here: www.totalcon.com/prereg.html (http://www.totalcon.com/prereg.html)