PDA

View Full Version : Super Hero Powers

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I've read about some pretty "out there" super hero powers gamers have used in super pen and papers. If you have one, even if it is just an idea and was never used, that you think is unique, hilarious, bad***, or otherwise amusing, please do share.

Drohem
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Here is a good one. This from Deeds Not Words. It is a d20 System based Super Hero game. This is in the list of super powers:

TOTAL CONSCIOUSNESS [ Fiat ]

Prerequisite: Must have caddied for the Dalai Lama

Power List: General

Range: Self

Activation Cost: None

Sustained Cost: None

Time Taken: None

Base Cost: None
Sadly, your character cannot actually receive this power
until hes on his death-bed. But hey, at least hes got this
going for him.

Obviously, the author has a sense of humor. :D

razada
02-04-2008, 01:54 PM
my character was a pacifist druid with the innate power to control the time and space around her. when her minitour friend's herat was grazed by an arrow she used her power to create a sphere of acclerated time to heal the heart. she forgot to first bandage the wound and killed her friend in one round. she was in shock and went into a coma.

moral: power and stupidity can kill even for the good of minitour kind

TAROT
02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I had a villain for a Champions game who had a body made of rock/stone/brick/asphalt/concrete, who would teleport, leaving his body behind then ripping his way out of a nearby road or wall in a new body.

I eventually gave him some shapeshift powers and reformed him as a "sculptor."

Digital Arcanist
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I had a character with the Rambo power, where as long as he was running at the enemies they couldn't hit him with projectile weapons.

I also had a character that had a "trench coat of many things."

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 05:12 AM
I've had many... original ideas in my time. Unfortunately I have a R-Rated imagination and can't share :(

Moritz
02-08-2008, 01:42 PM
TOTAL CONSCIOUSNESS [ Fiat ]

I owned a Fiat once. And when they say 'fix it again tomorrow', they're serious.

rabkala
02-09-2008, 01:16 AM
I had a villain for a Champions game who had a body made of rock/stone/brick/asphalt/concrete, who would teleport, leaving his body behind then ripping his way out of a nearby road or wall in a new body.

I eventually gave him some shapeshift powers and reformed him as a "sculptor."
That is an awesome character! I could definitely see a comic series for that one. The visual would be incredible. I want to play it now.

TAROT
02-09-2008, 02:02 AM
That is an awesome character! I could definitely see a comic series for that one. The visual would be incredible. I want to play it now.

:) I had fun. I've posted a version over to the articles section.

fmitchell
02-09-2008, 04:02 AM
In college one of the guys I played Champions with described "Pull-Yourself-Together-Man", who separated into multiple independent parts: hands, legs, torso, eyes ...

Oddly enough, there's a power like that in both GURPS Powers and Mutants and Masterminds, so maybe it's not as uncommon as I thought.

Law Dog
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
In college one of the guys I played Champions with described "Pull-Yourself-Together-Man", who separated into multiple independent parts: hands, legs, torso, eyes ...

Oddly enough, there's a power like that in both GURPS Powers and Mutants and Masterminds, so maybe it's not as uncommon as I thought.

And predating those with the MSHRPG Ultimate Powers Book.

I have a friend who built, but never played Doctor Decompose. We came up with all sort of wacky powers for him in Champions such as N-Ray Vision (this was old school Champions), only for seeing over objects. Doc would pull his head off and toss it up in the air.

There was even a character named Captain Marvel (no, not the Big Red Cheese or the Kree Warrior, or any other character from the Big Two who shared the name) in the sixties who was an android who could fall to pieces and attack with the disattached parts.

Webhead
07-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Yep...Anatomic Seperation.

There are quite a few interesting characters/powers that I've seen or heard stories of from friends.

In a Marvel Super Heroes game, a friend played a character nicknamed "Captain Red-Shirt". His randomly rolled powers all involved regeneration and self-healing of some form and were at high levels. Unfortunately, those were his only powers, so his role in the team's "battle tactics" involved him distracting the villains while the other heroes did their thing or otherwise jumping in the way of danger. This usually involved Captain Red-Shirt getting blasted to pieces or otherwise being horribly mangled, from which he would invariably regenerate a few hours later.

There was a Champions character that someone told me about (I forget the name) who had the ability to "Detect Good and Evil". Unfortunately, the player had taken the flaw "Always Wrong", which meant that he believed the good people to be villains and the villains to be heroes and would behave accordingly.

There was another character I was told about who I believe was named "Captain Indifference". His favorite quote was, "This looks like a job for...someone else!" At which point he would walk off.

I played a character in a Champions game once who's name was "Mr. Hero". His powers weren't what made him unusual (he had standard "brick" type abilities) but rather, his personality. He was a rich playboy-type who, upon discovering his super powers, decided to be the world's "Most Marketable" super hero. Thus he donned a costume, created a simple, catchy, easy-to-remember hero name and started his own company to merchandise it. The company was named Hero Industries and they manufactured everything from Mr. Hero action figures, to lunchboxes, coloring books, animated cartoons, etc. He would constantly stick around after battle waiting for news crews to arrive so he could get his "free press" for the exposure and to put his face and name into the hearts, minds and wallets of the people.

A friend once asked me if he could play a hero for Mutants & Masterminds called "Stink Bug" who was basically a kid in a home-made costume who had chronic gas...Not even "weaponized" flatulence a la the Spleen from Mystery Men. No...he just had bad gas and wanted to use it to fight crime. :twitch:

More to come as I recall them...I'm debating whether or not to go into detail of the telepathic, telekinetic, anthropomorphic, psychotic, science lab-rabbit that a friend played in my M&M game...:rolleyes:

TotemChakra
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
As most of my characters, they use their inner souls and such for power, each having their own supernatural powers and such blah blah blah.. you know the rest!

nijineko
07-04-2008, 06:40 PM
well... i had a few interesting heroes whom were designed for the purpose of expressing powers oddly. it was a bit of an experiment that i set myself once i finally noticed that powers were "user definable" and the implication of what that really meant set in.

the first attempt i'll share was this guy who had your standard 'laser sword' ala it's-not-really-a-light-sabre-really-it-isn't power. it was actually a ranged laser attack limited to about a 5' reach. he had been exposed to some creepy-way-out there alien stuff and used his laser sword to scribe symbols which had various side effects as disadvantages. only he wasn't immune to the side effects, only the basic laser. he was fond of using the basic laser sword version of the power to stab somebody behind him via a sepukku-like move. (as in, stab himself through the heart or gut to hit them.)

the second attempt i'll share was a girl who's powers were defined as her funky chambara kung-fu street fighter moves. for the powers where she wound up somewhere else the attack power was linked with some kind of movement power. i was well on my way to defining every streetfighter2 move that i liked as a super power in that system. ^^ plus a few custom-builts that i added. i even drew a pic of her 'finishing move'. maybe i'll post that sometime.

the last attempt i'll share with you was one of my favorites. she was a very very wealthy and attractive young lady who was rather famous for her wealth and being known for hanging out with celebrities rather than her powers. she came from the middle east and her powers had related themes. she could summon all manner of djinn servants who would do various things for her. my personal favorite was the time that she was in combat with someone and offered to bribe them to not attack her. she snapped her fingers and this little djinn appears staggering under the weight of a big bag of gold. she directs the djinn to give the character this gold. lucky for her the character in question was a very greedy individual and so he gladly took it. and asked for more. so she arched an elegant eyebrow and made some comment about her life being worth more to her than this pittance and repeated the djjinn-giving-gold bit. and a third time. then she sauntered off away from that particular combatant who was gleefully counting the gold. which then promptly detonated in a spectacular triple explosion. can we say delayed user-sets-the-countdown-time-so-that-all-three-go-off-in-the-same-turn area-affect blast power? i have seldom seen so stunned a look on a player's face.

let's just say that i love user-definable powers. heheheheh. ^^

ryan973
07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
well my favorite was for a character i mad eup called magician. he had summoning and low level hex bolts. :p

Basically his powers used the rules for summoning under magic but only summoning he could not invoke. he would spend a panel (turn) spending red stones to come up with a creature to do his fighting for him while he hung back. some of them would fit little roles he had out so he was soemtimes summoning a few of the same ones. :cool:

his big tank was called the fat lady- she was 12 feet tall and resembled the blob in a blonde wig and red pocadot dress. :)

His scrapper was called the Drill sargeant- basically the guy from full metal jacket. :eek:

His hard core air assoult guy was the dragon from Dragonhart complete with Sean connery voice. "I AM THE LAST ONE" :D

That is one of the funnest characters ever to play. But comeing up with new things too summon was hard but fun.

Dyser
07-13-2008, 10:18 PM
A lot my more oddball characters simply had highly conditional versions of powers like transmutation, memory alternation, or magic.

The Fix has alternately been designed as a hero or a villain. His power was molecular bonding or object melding: two objects touching each other become bonded together on the surface they touch at the molecular level. Opponent's costumes tend to pose major problems as boots meld to the sidewalk, capes to the wall, etc. Utility belts become unusable slag. A battle with the Fix is almost like a game of strip poker without the poker. Tires rip apart when the part touching the pavement is stuck to the road. Locks, windows, and doors become stuck in place. Guns become useless. I also designed him to be able to permeate surfaces himself, melding with them and coming out the other side.

Slate is a character that had the ability to wipe away all practical and contextual knowledge and memory of a single concept from a person's mind which he vocalizes. He says "gun" and you loose all knowledge of what one is, how it's used, how they've been used, etc. It's a foreign concept now. He says "sex", and well, let's just say your life has become very boring and you no longer know where babies come from.

Glyph was a mystic that could create wards and sigils, and her magic was entirely based on that: either enchanting the objects and people that she placed a glyph on, or creating glyphs and that are triggered when a condition is met: someone steps on the glyph, a specific person opens the door, and so forth. It was usually designed with the caveat that they had to be unattended objects or spaces, or willing subjects. She could also ward areas with a variable warding ability so that could do anything from keep zombies from entering a room to keeping people with violent intentions from leaving an area.

Headstrong is a character that has psionically boosted strength and telepathy from the same pool of psychic power... she could focus her power to varying degrees one way or the other - become really strong and not very psychic at all, or shift it the other way and become more telepathic than strong.

Since it was mentioned, I admit I have also had a few anatomical separation characters that used localized warp fields on their bodies to teleport part of themselves somewhere else, and then move that warp field around to give that portion of the anatomy mobility.

michaeljearley
07-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I have an alien in a champions game. His race is a spaceial race, as in dosn't have a home planet, just chills in space.
As such, he has stealth always on/and dosn't realize it. So I gave him the stealth skill, and whenever he walks into a shadow, I make a stealth roll and tell everyone around me. Anyone who fails perception dosn't see me or hear.
Execpt I keep talking like normal so they usually end up hearing the first and last bits of sentances when we are just casually walking around.

Zig
11-22-2008, 04:07 AM
oh I've seen a bunch in the champs universe...

Tattletale- guy had the power to detect your weaknesses useable by others (pretty gross power)

Cesspool- a giant villian made of... yup turds, would blast heroes with tidalwaves of sewage.

one magic villian I recall had "instant change useable against others" would force your superman to turn into clark kent.

My favrote was a smart ass of a vigilante I created called "corpse" he could posess the bodies of dead folks. was really cool because he could kill a thug, then posess the body and try and walk into whatever defended super bunker he pleased. also the way I had it set up you had to hack his limbs off or smash him to a pulp to stop him, and the whole time he'd be making with the bad puns and zingers, was a lot of fun.

LAST CRUSADER
02-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Really strange power conceptions have never appealed to me as a player. The novelty of such things wears off soon and then the character isn't interesting any more. I prefer making interesting Personalities with more conventional powers. Usually with the formula:
1) attack power
2) defense power
3)movement power
4)one misc. Power

guardian1968
10-07-2009, 12:28 AM
SELF-TRANSFORMATION (limited to carpet)

Bonus: Can transform into enough carpet to fill a room, or just transform into any size throw rug.

Defect: Transforms into a carpet that must have eyes & eyelids (whose eyelids are made of the material of the carpet - the eyeballs are humanish and not fabric).

This was for a story of mine when I was in high school for a character I called Carpet Kid (his secret ID was Shag Afghan - he was an exchange student).

magic-rhyme
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Really strange power conceptions have never appealed to me as a player. The novelty of such things wears off soon and then the character isn't interesting any more. I prefer making interesting Personalities with more conventional powers. Usually with the formula:
1) attack power
2) defense power
3)movement power
4)one misc. Power

Some examples?

(twould be cool to read)

Dytrrnikl
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Way back in my beginning days of D&D, late 80s, one of my first GMs had an NPC that would show up every once in awhile "Vern". Vern was cursed to forever be liquified and held in a flask except when said flask was broken upon somebody else. Then it would be something like Neo from Matrix, with Vern oozing into the poor victims pores shapeshifting irrevocably the victim into Vern for about a day or two, than he'd turn back into liquid and funnelled back into a flask. So, for about 6 months, we had a Flask O'Vern to port around and throw at baddies...at least until he was thrown at a Vampire...he didn't liquify, he turned into a mist and we never saw him again. I think that was the campaign where the most valuable magic item was a pillow of happy dreaming...guaranteed to give you a good nights rest.