PDA

View Full Version : Flames Of War: Has Anybody Played It?

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Just wondering if anybody has had the chance to play Flames Of War? There has been some talk about it lately and I'd like to hear more if anybody would like to share their thoughts.

mrken
06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I have played it twice. Once I played the Germans and it was a blast. The second time I played the Italians and played against a min-maxer. Used the rules to cheat. Was a terrible experience. Yeah, I know the Italians were supposed to loose and my tactics left something to desire, but when the scenario has been played over and over and then used on a noob. I felt abused. lol

I am playing Axis and Allies Miniatures now, sort of. Have not spent as much money as others and therefore have a more pathetic army. lol Nothing Visa can't cure.

Mead
06-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Only played it once so far, as German. Won a Phyrric victory over an American platoon, only because of the way assault rules work - I pushed his guys back just barely far enough, on the very last turn, and gained control of the objectives.

tesral
06-27-2008, 01:52 AM
I was flipping through the book in the LGS today. Must not give in. I don't need another expensive hobby. I still have piles of Ogre minis I have yet to finish painting. (Tanks not the beasts.)

Sure it looks like a load of fun. There are limits to how many toys one can manage.

Oh as an aside to those that might wonder FoW is 1/100 scale. N gage trains and track are close enough for government work. If you want RR bits in you FoW game look to the N gage trains for stuff or for buildings for your FoW scenery.

mrken
06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
The purists will hate me, but I use am using my Flames of War minis to play Axis and Allies Miniatures. Might even try using the AAM to play FoW. My friends are not so stuck up that they would not allow it. My problem is $$$. who has enough? Certainly not enough to buy companies or squads of every army of every game out there. Even if I didn't play the games I might still collect some of the minis as I am into history and WWII is one of my favorite times.

Mead
06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah, my friend is looking at AAM for some of his FoW needs. He did say there were some scale mismatches though. Forget which ones, but probably nothing big enough to be a game breaker.

mrken
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah, my friend is looking at AAM for some of his FoW needs. He did say there were some scale mismatches though. Forget which ones, but probably nothing big enough to be a game breaker.

A game breaker. Yeah I would say it is a game breaker. I was introduced to AAM just prior to the switch from 1:144 scale to 1:100 scale. In my opinion it was a huge difference. FoW is 1:100 scale and I held off buying any AAM minis until after the switch. In AAM circles it is known as version 1.0 and version 2.0. WOW!!! Just like DnD. lol 2ed. 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. :D AAM is WotC too. There is one saving grace, the infantry is still the same size I hear though I don't yet have any. I am however, looking for some. The last two booster packs are ver. 2 and are called 39/45 and North Africa. The next booster pack will be called Eastern Front. There is also War at Sea that just released a second booster pack.

Mead
06-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Ah, I didn't know it was such a large scale difference.. yeah, that would look pretty weird on the table.

tesral
06-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Purists will always be sitting on sticks. You could play FoW with card board counters. I don't think it would be as much fun, but you could.

Likewise you could scale the rules up to 1/87 (HO) if you had that kind of space and money or scale them down to 1:287 microscale for really big battles.

For availability the FOW minis and the microscale are about the only way to go.

If you want to get really bent the size is also 15mm, so you can get Napoleonic armies in there too, or Warmaster stuff.

Where is that huge red dragon.....