PDA

View Full Version : Traveller

Jay
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi-
My all time favorite sci-fi game in any of its versions! Personal favorite is still classic although I do like the MegaT ship building rules. Where else can you die during character creation? :eek:
Any one else want to chime in?
Jay

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
You can die during Character Creation? Are you serious?! :eek:

gdmcbride
02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
You can die during Character Creation? Are you serious?! :eek:

Yep. All Traveller books come with GPS chips. Once per year an assassin team is dispatched to kill a random player. It adds to the excitement of the game.

Myself, I always thought it was an unnecessary gimick. I voted instead for free T-shirts. But the old guard refused. Gamers do love their assassin strike forces.

Oh and congratulations to Mick Donaldson of Sheboygan who was assassinated via lethal injection from blow gun dart last May. He will be missed.

Gary

fmitchell
02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Yep. All Traveller books come with GPS chips. Once per year an assassin team is dispatched to kill a random player. It adds to the excitement of the game.

Yeah, I remember the one time I played Traveller. We started rolling characters. The guy next to me rolled those deadly double-sixes, and I caught the look of fear in his eyes before the sniper bullet tore through his skull. (Actually, his head did go back and to the left.)

The rest of the school was shocked. When we finished the adventure, the principal made the game club clean the desks and blackboard, although the supposedly-stainproof carpet was a bit of a loss. The parents were upset, and their lawsuit contributed to GDW going out of business. (The school declined to join into the suit; they were Catholic, and the kid was Methodist.)

After that one time I decided Traveller isn't my favorite game. It's not as bad as D&D, though.

Jay
02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Yup, death during creation. Your initial character development is based on experience gained during four year blocks of time. You choose how many blocks. Of course, gaining experience is risky and you can die in the process. A fairly unique approach :-)
Jay

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Unique? Sounds... just rubs me the wrong way lol.

Freejack
02-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Unique? Sounds... just rubs me the wrong way lol.

Welll, it's not like it took 45 minutes to get to that point. It happened fairly early on because the results were used to outfit your character and determine how you got around (high passage).

It was actually pretty interesting (I played the earlier games and tried some Megatraveller) but we never had enough people who wanted to play so we stuck with D&D.

Carl

tesral
02-04-2008, 01:03 AM
The origial system suffered all the teething problems of the 70s RPGs. Death during character creation was just one of of them.

I prefer the GURPS incarnation. I love the source books, and while I don't play Traveler I scrape the fluff off them right, left, and sideways for my Trek game. I could never come up with that many ideas that fast. Source books good.

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 01:36 AM
What incarnation of the Star Trek game do you use? If it is heavily house rules what system was the basis for it?

MortonStromgal
02-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Traveller the New Era is what changed my status from "I played an RPG before" to "Its a hobby". I think the career basied character creation was an awesome idea if impractical as a game designer for the amount of time wasted creating such a thing.

tesral
02-04-2008, 04:37 PM
What incarnation of the Star Trek game do you use? If it is heavily house rules what system was the basis for it?

It's almost system free really. I play on-line with a friend. Trek lends itself to play by post more than most. Very combat light.

nijineko
02-11-2008, 05:23 AM
there are two other games where you can die during character creation that i'm aware of. synnibarr, and starship troopers, if i recall right. cyberpunk2020 keeps coming to mind too, for some reason.

Skunkape
02-11-2008, 06:58 AM
cyberpunk2020 keeps coming to mind too, for some reason.

I think you can get cyberpsychosis, which is about the same thing as death for a character.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Starship Troopers RPG has death during character creation? I've looked over the rulebook but don't remember ever coming across something like that. Are you certain nijineko?

Chris House
02-18-2008, 01:08 PM
well Mongoose has brought the real old days back the blood and gore days the bad old days with Traveller rpg relase this summer.
I have been play testing it new refinements and you have options for the game - if you fail you can just roll on the injury list and see what happen or you can Iron man style and just die!

now to be honest I like traveller because its mechanicls where not so in your face and the fact that nothing nothing meachanically made a character a mega star type character!
if it was a bad day and you desided to leave you brains at home you died!
I have fought as a character whole platoons of battledress wearing imperial troopers in the desert with just my mesh armor lots of water and a few well placed explosives and survived to get to my ship and jump out of there. it just takes something most gamers do not want to use these days Imagianation and a little planing!
as for what the new game is going to be like well I can not tell you - go to the mongoose sight and down lood the test book and see for your self.

but then again guys I like Traveller the new Era . . . . . .

nijineko
02-19-2008, 05:30 AM
i think there is an older version of starship troopers. that one. it was this faded orange box with 60's style robo-suits dropping from the clouds on it.

Mulsiphix
02-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I sure would like to see a picture of that.

tesral
02-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Back in '03, it was McCully's Planet, the Dread Fuzzy-Wuzzy revolt. We had two leagues between us and our ship, and untold Fuzzy Wuzzys twixt us and it.

Well it came down to a fight. Two against 100 and the sun high in the sky. Two against 100 and we fought down to our last magazines. Two against 100 and by sunset the day was won.

Once we got back to the ship we agreed that them was the toughest two Fuzzy Wuzzys we had EVAR seen.

Skunkape
02-22-2008, 09:38 AM
i think there is an older version of starship troopers. that one. it was this faded orange box with 60's style robo-suits dropping from the clouds on it.

Yep, still have that game, but it was a boardgame/wargame, not an RPG. Course, the cover for my box is trashed, the game is 30ish years old! It was a whole lot of fun to play, but the odds were stacked in favor of the M.I!

I so wanted to make a miniatures version of that game, yeah I know, there's one around now, but the original version of the game had the bugs looking more like spiders than what they look like now. They were called arachnids after all!

Drohem
02-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Yep, still have that game, but it was a boardgame/wargame, not an RPG. Course, the cover for my box is trashed, the game is 30ish years old!

This the Avalon Hill (1976) bookcase game, right?

I am reasonably sure there is just one table-top RPG version of Starship Troopers, written by August Hahn and published by Mongoose Publishing (2005).

Skunkape
02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
This the Avalon Hill (1976) bookcase game, right?

I am reasonably sure there is just one table-top RPG version of Starship Troopers, written by August Hahn and published by Mongoose Publishing (2005).

Correct! Those are the only two I know of.