PDA

View Full Version : DASH: join now (PBPgame)

spotlight
09-30-2006, 03:52 PM
You note the small advertizement in the Dallas Morning News. You cannot fathom why such an insignificant item attracted your attention, especially since you were not intending to look at the 'jobs available' section this morning anyway.

"Federal funds available to those interested in joining a super group to help local and federal investigations. Interview in person at ++address++."

If you decide to try this send me an e-mail with your Champions (HeroGames) character along with two villans specific to your character. That means the villans must have an attack or defence that are particularly effective against your character.

If you are not familiar with champions, just send your character concept and we will work it out together.

The world is now, and follows most real history, but mutants and majic have entered the world. There are also SOME aliens, as well as other things, so don't think you to be just a mutant. Use your imagination.

Experience will come from what you post IC (in character), not from successes or failers. If you do something that effects another PC, villian, or NPC., describe only the attempt not the result.

spotlight
10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
By the way Guys and Gals, don't think you have to be IN Dallas to join this (hopefully) game. It is only for me to practice my own GMing abilities and the players's desires. It is entirely possible that any game play will go in directions unexpected. Although I have several story lines set up, with specific actions that would lead to the story end, the adventureing is up to you, the players completly. Just send me you characters and their arch-nemisis and we will see what happens.
Any character imaginable is allowed, I have worked with dozens of different types and played many strange ones as well. Come on, don't be shy. Try a game or two.

spotlight
01-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I am about to start a story line in the next few days. Any who want to be a part of the game, well you know what to do.

Farcaster
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Spotlight, do you want to have a play by post forum to run your story line in that everyone can see -- including folks who are not a member of the Dallas Roleplayers group?

spotlight
01-07-2007, 02:31 PM
yes, definately, Ron explained the situation to me, I was not aware that this section was not open nationally. It 3would explain why I had few veiws. By the way, I was about to start a story line with a different thread heading. How can I make sure it is open for all?

Farcaster
01-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I have moved the entire Play by Post forum to to the main Hosted Forums area. I may move it again after I do some reorganization. But, it is now viewable to everyone, not just the Dallas RPG group.

I've never been a play-by-post player, so I'm curious, are there any kinds of tools that are helpful that you might need? For instance, do you need a dice randomizer, where players could type [d100], for instance and voila, when it is posted they get a random number generated? Let me know, and I might be able to find plugins that will help or perhaps code a few.

spotlight
01-25-2007, 07:04 PM
What is about to follow is one of my old villans. Your characters may well encounter him, so keep your eves open.
There used to be a company in these parts (Texas) called Majic Carpet Cleaners. The owner was a friend whom I've not seen in many years. The villan concept came from this company name. In the world of 'DASH' there is majic available. However, the majician guilds keep it tightly controled ... as much as they can. There are various colleges of majic, with differing types of training, so characters can come from a well known university. The Texas Aggies naturally tend toward Earth and/or Plant colleges.
Any my villan was one of the carpet cleaning workers. He had already used his access to folks houses to set up a couple of friends with burgaly targets. Thus he already had formed a criminal mindset.
One day his cleaning machine refused to work, a rare but not unusual occurance. Unknow to the general employes, the machine was powered by a majic 'spell'. s.o.p. was that if the machine failed to work properly, he called in the problem, packed his gear and returned to base. Another truck would be dispachted shortly.
Not wanting to lose the job to another, this fellow decided to open up the machine to see if he could fix it himself, after all, he understood how machine normally worked, he could do it.
Except this was an expencive majic powered machine, wich exploded in his face once the wrong panel was opened with out the proper dampaning spells.
He awoke in the haspital several days later, without a job and a charged of practicing majic without a licence.
The nugget of majic junk in the machine apparently was lodge inside his body undetected. Until later. Vortex was born.
He soon discovered he could make little whirl winds form and use them to teleport short distances. With practice he got better, and gradually learned to make whirlwinds big enough to lift and move cars. He could even send a whirlwind to surround and pelt folks or other target with small objects, preferably bricks and rocks and other small sharp objects.
Although Vortex has not been know to acctually kill someone, police claim it is only a matter of time that one of his bank robberies turn from simple violence into a deadly affair.
He has been captured several times, but with his teleport powers, Vortex eventually escapes, even from a least one 'escape proof' detention center.
He does not detect on the mutant detectors and only detects occasionally on the majic detectors. He is a sleasy and very mean person, and believes the world owes him.

spotlight
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry Farcaster, I seemed to have missed your request for information. Actually other than a character (and a couple of villians) all you need is your imagination. The 'dice randomizer' that you asked about is strictly the DM's territory. All one does is post what the character is trying to do. If it is an attack, describe it in as much detail as you wish. Then wait (you and the dm) for a defence post for the target, if it is another character. If you are defending, post what your character does to attempt to avoid the posted attack.
Almost all other types of posts should be in story telling fashion. Describe the things you do or where you go or what you say. Others do much the same thing. Show your reactions to what others do and /or say. The DM interjects things when the character(s) do something that can be used to further the particular story they are in. Like 'The Train Song' post, you are requested to go see the secretary. If you do so, you will join the story line. If you do something else, well, may be you will find something else happening.
Basicly, exp. will be awarded according to the posts you make. Not on your successes or failers. I will be doing my story exp much like the pdq method.
Pease email me whatever charater you want to play, and remember the villians. they must be like Superman's Lex Luthor or Batman's Joker. but don't exto be those much. And don't be surprized if they bump against an alie and not you.

ShaggEllis
03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
I want to play I'm open on monday and wensday nights from 5:30-10 if anyone wants to play or DM send me a message

spotlight
03-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Hello Shag, glad you want to join. Please note that this particular line is for signing up for the 'supers' games. Which I personally prefer. One of the other threads is for fantasy, which is what your character looks like. If I am wrong, go ahead and correct me. If you want the supers line, great, just don't forget to give your character a couple of 'villians' so's I don't have to break my skull making up to many of them. They don't have to be elves themselves, just nemisis's to him.
However, I am sure you're wanting the fantasy story, in which case, just chose which "world" I described in the fantasy thread you would prefer to play in. Both worlds were designed over thirty years ago, just about the time Greyhawk and others pregens were started. There fore they are really my designs and may or may not match what your used to playing.
The only rule of thump, XP comes from posts, the more detail, the more style, the more anything, the more points.
In other words, PDQ. Do not post, "I attack 'target A' with my sword." So bland. Describe the event with pary, fient, thrust, slash, stance, intent, target point, power, siloquey, glance, destraction, and the kitchen sink.
An example::: As the ork rushed me'his shield in front, both hands on his spear, I recognized an opening. I, swordmaster, used both hands on my saber, blocking and guiding the spear to the side, as I spun full cirle to the left. With my back to the caharging ork, I shifted my grip, bringing my sword down and around to just above waiste level. I knew the shield rush might connect, and hurt, but my strike would be from the side opposite his spear, to the tender flesh of the ork's gut, BEHIND his shield...

That is an attack description that really says something.
That is the joy of play by post, taking your time to acctually enjoy the moment. Althogh I love face to face games, This Is Story Telling.
And it is good for us that can't make every other weekend a full gaming event. All this takes is an hour or two every week to sit down and, well, uh, think?

Deathworm22
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I would like to join. It sounds interesting.

spotlight
05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Hello, Beantowner. Glad to see some more intrest in play-by-post. I have played on other sites and it works for thoses folks that can't or don't have time for the marathon game I remember as a youngster. I fact, some of the players I've played with do it in thier comp class at school.
Just as a forward, I am 'addicted' to Champions from HeroGames. Thus I like to see characters built that way. However, any system will do, cause this is not a turn base type of game.
If your wanting the supers game, send me a copy of your character, and two Arch Villians. Afterwards, you can post an entrance in "The Train Song" story line.
Some times the story can seem slow, but I do check at least twice a week so I can post necsasary responces. XP comes from the descriptions you make about what your character does, the more detailed, the more points.
If you want to try the fantacy story line, send me a d&d character and I'll set up a place for you to make and entrance.

spotlight
05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey Deathworm22, I hope you realize the 'Beantown' comment is meant as a compliment and not as an insult.

Deathworm22
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I know. And i'll have to send you the character on Sunday i'm busy for a couple days.

PhishStyx
05-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Could you clarify whether there is a system in play here or is it a freeform game?

Thanks!

twesterm
05-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Are you still accepting players? I've always wanted to play in a play by post or email game I've just never had the opportunity and I actually don't know the Champions System. >_>

Ed Zachary
05-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Are you still accepting players? I've always wanted to play in a play by post or email game I've just never had the opportunity and I actually don't know the Champions System. >_>

I'm pretty sure the DM is, we just got started.

spotlight
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes, for all you guys wanting to join in the games. There are two games that I've tried to get going. DASH stand for Dallas Area Super Heros. It is set in modern history and is a HeroGames Champions format (in general), but only because that is the one I am most familiar.
So, supply me with your character, and two villians that have at least one attack or defence that works well aganst your hero.
Afterwards you can join in the first story line ... "The Train Song" As form dice rolls, forget it. This game is done more like PDQ than any other game style. The more you describe your actions, the more happens in the game. And the more xp awarded.
I am also trying to get a fantasy game up and going, which will be run much the same way. D&D detail is not necessary, just the basic stats and saves, equipment and spell stuff, such as that and all. I am not familiar with most of the new classes from 3.5 and such. I have not played d&d in many years, just a lot of other fantacy.
Thus, those of you used to that, sorry, tone it down a bit. Stick with basic races, human, elven, dwarven, 1/2orc, 1/2elf. and the like.
HOWEVER, it is not impossible to discover other parentage during the game (as I learn how they are played).
Come on in, I'll try to keep it interesting. The enjoyment will be up to you guys.

twesterm
05-21-2007, 06:12 PM
For the heroes and villains do you just want us to write down what we're thinking since I don't really know the system? I looked for a book last weekend but actually find it (though admittedly didn't look vey hard -_-).

spotlight
05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Flesh out yer character as much as you chose, Twesterm. That's why I mentioned the world is pretty much as normal as can be and based in modern Dallas.

Majic has 'returned' to the world, and mutants abound. So, there will be things like mutant detecting and majic detecting machines. For terrorist protection, of course. Most universities do have majic schools attached in some way. That means any place that has metal detectors and strip shearches will have those detecters installed. Afterall, criminal mutants and mages out there.

As for your character, detail his/her powers as much as seems good. Use the 'Champions' guide lines if you have them. Do the same for your villans. And don't forget ones weaknesses as well.

Since majic returned, excpect the rare elf and dwarf to show up. Certain other things will appear also, like vamps, dragons, unicorns(where are those virgins?), and certain other creatures. Most of them nasty.

Super Tech is around also, as well as alien tech. The aliens want it back, naturally. So if you want that stuff, one of your villans can be alien. Just remember that I have already set the available alien races in place. So if you want to be one, ask for one. I prefer the homonind type for players, so they can fit in with humans.

twesterm
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Cool, I'll get that to you as soon as possible but had a few things come up the past few days and have been a little busy. I should be able to complete tomorrow sometime if I get everything done today. Sorry about the delay.