PDA

View Full Version : World In Flames: Have You Played It?

Mulsiphix
01-30-2008, 10:28 PM
There has been a lot of talk about World In Flames lately. A lot of people saying they heard it was amazing and wanted to try it. This game has been around as long as BattleTech but nobody has seemed to have played it. Does anybody have any personal experience with this game? If so could you share some insight. How complete is the system? How fun is the game? Is it more "reality" based or "sci-fi"? Maybe you haven't played it but own one of the books and could offer some info? I checked RPG.net for a review but couldn't find one :confused:.

ffclubhero
02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
No experience, in fact, first I've heard of it.

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 04:54 PM
I believe tesral might have seen it in action. I know he was talking about it the other day. Hopefully he'll chime in and offer us some info.

TAROT
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I think that you probably mean Flames of War, which is a WWII miniatures (15mm) game released in the last couple of years. I've seen the minis, but never seen the game played, but it is based on real, historic Orders of Battle.

World in Flames is a board game (cardboard counters and hexes) released in the 1980's by ADG. Had rules for production, and when the USA was allowed to declare war. I think that it was eventually turned into a computer game, as not everybody has a 4'x8' table that they can keep a game set up on for a few months.

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 11:49 PM
How funny. I was talking about Flames of War. Turns out World In Flames is the same type of game that has been around since 1985 and is still being developed today. I'll create a new thread as I'm still curious if anybody has played this game, now that I know the difference :D

tesral
02-04-2008, 02:29 AM
I believe tesral might have seen it in action. I know he was talking about it the other day. Hopefully he'll chime in and offer us some info.

BONG!!!

Sorry, I haven't see this one. I have been sniffing around "Flames of War". My wallet is screaming for me to stay far away as I don't need another hobby that costs money.

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Drohem? Surely Drohem you've got something to say about this game? Your probably the most well traveled among us as far as experience with different game systems goes. Please say you've tried this or at least know a little about it? There is only so much a wiki can offer :(

mrken
04-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Flames of War can be a fun game, especially if you are into WWII stuff or into minis, and if the people you end up playing with are pretty decent.

First time I played was at a local gaming convention. It was a blast. I got paired with a young man who was rather timid and forgot his objective, which was to exit pieces from the opposite side of the board. He was afraid to commit and then got bogged down in combat. My objective was to hold the Russians for as long as I could, or flee. I was playing the Rumanians, who historically stood and fought until the weight of the Russians crushed them. I held the board until the time limit was up. None too soon as the Rumanians were thoroughly beat, both with numbers and quality of equipment. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and went out and dropped about a hundred bucks on minis over the next few weeks (which will really only get you the most modest unit).

My next experience was with a local group that meets weekly. The president of that group and I were matched up at the next Con where he totally beat me by teleporting his tanks behind mine. I felt rather abused as a real tank could not have driven through my unit sideways and ended up facing the opposite direction without me getting a chance to fire at him point blank range. After teleporting to an 1/8th of an inch behind me he was able to tear up my small Italian tanks. I was not amused. That was the last time I played. Still have the minis but now use them to play Axis and Allies Minis. A vastly simpler and much less realistic game, but I play with people who do not abuse me so much. lol Guess I am just into the minis. Plus, I am a bit of a history buff, with the WWII period a personal favorite.

WhiteTiger
07-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I've played both. FOW is a good game but it's expensive due to the fact that the miniatures are bigger than your standard WW2 micro armor. Hard to play large campaigns. I prefer the smaller micro-armor due to more figures, easier to tote around and you can play bigger games. There are a lot of simple & cheap rule systems that work.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/panzertruppe_game/

World in flames.. I haven't played in years. It's a huge multi-day world encompassing WW2 game. It can be fun but it takes massive discipline and a love of WW2 to play it.

korhal23
07-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Oh boo. I didn't see what forum this was under and I had hoped you meant World on Fire, the official setting for Spycraft :( That said, I like World War II games, so I may have to look into these.

MortonStromgal
07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes, I love it, but it takes faaaar to long to play.

cigamnogard
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
My son and I play FoW and the games are so far rather rapidly over.