PDA

View Full Version : mindbender

underdarkshark
01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can give me some good info on the Mindbender Prestige class, as i do not have the book that explains the class. I wanted to play a telepath Psionic, however i cannot in this game. It's my understanding that the Mindbender might quench my thirst as a telepath. I looked at some other threads on google and some say after the initial ability you get at 1st level it's not worth it.. any thoughts would be useful, thank you.
Underdarkshark

Drohem
01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Well, at 4th level the Mindbender gets Eternal Charm, which allows him to permanently charm a creature as the charm monster spell. This increases to two creatures at 6th, three at 8th, and 4 at 10th.

At 7th level they get Dominate as the dominate monster spell. At 10th he can make the Dominate permanent on one creature.

Overall, they get a +5 to their existing arcane spellcasting class.

Not bad if you're a neutral or evil character; it has a non-good requirement. ;)

Lexdragon
01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Lets see here, i have the complete arcane here and the first level power looks pretty cool to me. Its Telepathy(Su) and its at will with a range of 100 feet and you get +1 level of existing casting class.

I guess it depends on what your GM is like but if you had a hack and slash GM you probably would not be playing an Enchanter(Psionicist) in the first place.

At level 2 you get Push the weak mind 1/day enlarged & extended suggestion and a skill bost equal to half your class level on Bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, and sense motive. you don't gain a spell caster level at this level however.

I would say if your in a game that supports it, mind-bender is the perfect arcane substitute for psionics.

the class goes on to impart all the iconic abilities of a telepath; mind read, eternal charm(gets you a minion) enchantment spell power bonuses, dominate ect. most of them are per day castings and it looses five levels of per day castings over the course of the 10 level class. there is a feat in this book that would allow you to recover 4 of those levels.

Requirements:You need 4 ranks in bluff diplomacy intimidate and sense motive,able to cast charm or use charm person as a spell like ability or use the charm invocation(Warlock class- another way to be a psionicist) and caster level 5.

Its got me interested! Thanks!

Lexdragon
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Right, it does fall on the less than upstanding moral side of things since it is based on manipulating others. However you could use it many ways that are not evil.

underdarkshark
01-29-2008, 10:52 AM
dang that does sound sweet. So whats the deal with the gaining regular spells? I take it my spell list, or spell progression is substituted for these unusual benifits? i guess i can still find scrolls and things to actually get a broader spell list of the spells i can cast per level right? One of the mindbender levels says i cannot gain spell progression? thats what im getting from this. Still over-all this can be loads of fun. Thanks for the input!!

Drohem
01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
dang that does sound sweet. So whats the deal with the gaining regular spells? I take it my spell list, or spell progression is substituted for these unusual benifits? i guess i can still find scrolls and things to actually get a broader spell list of the spells i can cast per level right? One of the mindbender levels says i cannot gain spell progression? thats what im getting from this. Still over-all this can be loads of fun. Thanks for the input!!

At each odd-numbered level the Mindbender gains new spells per day as if he progressed in the arcane spellcasting class that he had before taking the Mindbender Prestige class.

DrAwkward
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM

The redued spell progression is a typical P-class thing. On the levels you get "+1 arcane spellcasting level" you get spell slots / spells known as if you'd gone up in level in whatever arcane class you used for the prerequisites. The other levels you get nothing, like you multi-classed into a non-casting class.

For example, a Wizard10/Mindbender10 would have the class abilities of a 10th level wizard (the free feats) and the spells of a 15th level Wizard (8th level spells, but not the free feat at 15th).

You've basically sacrificed 5 spellcasting levels in exchange for the P-class benefits.

The feat Practiced Spellcaster would bring your caster level up to 19, but you'd still have the spells of a 15th level caster; the extra 4 caster levels from the feat are only for determining caster level checks and level dependant variables in the spells.

Warlocks are funny for getting the "+1 arcane spellcaster level", but the thought of a Warlock Mindbender gives me warm fuzzy feelings.

underdarkshark
01-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I have no idea what the warlock does...and i'm afraid if i ask i will become confused on what i would pick. I like the idea of dominating minds and having personal bodyguards hehe. or muhahaha rather. ok i cant stand it, whats the deal with the warlock?

underdarkshark
01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
i looked on the consolidated prestige class list and didnt see warlock.....

DrAwkward
01-29-2008, 11:37 AM
.. whats the deal with the warlock?

Warlock is an alternate caster type; they do not get spells, rather they harness the powers of Chaos and Darkness to speak Invocations in Darkspeech -- a language that even demons fear to speak openly.

An invocation is a spell-like effect. Like Invisibility, Flight, Animate Dead, and Charm Person.

Basically, warlocks get *very few* invocations, but can use them *all day*. There is no daily limit, but they don't have a lot of variety. Most are effects that can afford to be "at will" since repeated use doesn't stack. You either are invisible or you aren't. The Charm invocation is limited in that you can only have one target charmed at a time.

There main attack is an Eldritch blast -- its a single target ranged touch effect that deals 1d6 per two levels (more or less). This can be shaped and flavored by invocations.

When you take a P-class that gives you "+1 arcane caster level" Your eldritch blast damage gets better, and you learn more invocations, per the class chart.

While they do get one Charm ability, the class as a whole is flavored toward ickyness. It might not be what you had in mind.

EDIT: Warlock is a base class from Complete Arcane.

underdarkshark
01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
hehe sounds very icky but i like.. i'll keep that in mind for later evil acts. I'll stick with the Mindbender Thanks too all! i have made up my mind (no pun intended) can't wait to start rolling..

DrAwkward
01-29-2008, 11:59 AM
hehe sounds very icky but i like.. i'll keep that in mind for later evil acts. I'll stick with the Mindbender Thanks too all! i have made up my mind (no pun intended) can't wait to start rolling..

We brought Warlock up because it sounds like you could use it to meet the prerequesites for Mindbender. It would be an alternate option from using Wizard or Sorceror (or Bard? hmmm).

Now that I think on it, Bard sounds like a pretty fun way to get into the Mindbender P-class

underdarkshark
01-29-2008, 12:11 PM
well actually... let me give ya some info. This charictor is a Drow, from a community that openly rejects loth, however for obvious reasons they remain hidden. They infiltrate Drow cities and try to recruite other Drow to there point of view, so i figured a Wizard/mindbender... perhaps Bards work well too. never played a Bard. Anyway thought id give a very genral idea beind this Drow.

Count Arioch
01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Being a drow spellcaster is a bad idea.

Being a drow spellcaster that has to give up even more caster abilities is an even worse idea.

Basically, you improve the casting of certain spells, and gain a few minor spell like abilities. To get that ability, you forever lost the ability to cast 9th level spells (And being a drow mindbender means you lose out on 8th level spells too!), and the more levels you take in Mindbender, the less your actual spells will be level-appropriate.

If you want to use Suggestion a couple times a day and extend the duration of Charm spells once or twice (while still being inferior to charm + diplomacy), go nuts, I'm not going to stop you. If it were me, I'd just remain an enchanter and get high levels spells, they're better than what the Mindbender gives anyway.

Although if it's an option, Player's Handbook 2 has a 20 level base class called the Beguiler which might be more your speed, you have enchantment spells, you have good skill points, as well as better hit points and ability to wear light armor.

Lexdragon
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
If the GM likes your idea and it fits well with the game i imagine you will have fun. The class does impart some boost to spell power so your Enchantments should hold up. Lacking 8th and 9th level spell can be an issue from a meta game stand point but then you may find ways around that depending on the campaign.

underdarkshark
01-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Thank you for your input. I enjoy playing Drow, i have played them well in the past.
I think some of my reasons for playing a mindbender were somehow lost in this thread. I wanted to play a psion - something i cannot do since we (Our group) doesn't have the extended Psionic handbook, we have the old 3.0 broken book. I realized if i had played a psion i wouldnt have been very powerful in the first place. I wanted to play it because i enjoy the challange of playing a class i have not played before. My Dm offered another avenue, the Mindbender, we have that book (he does) So that was as close to being a telepath i could come without "winging" it.
The Mindbender fits perfectly in my opinion given where the charictor comes from, what his motives are Etc.
I could min/max a human wizard sure if i wanted to go pure power, and take my crafting items as far as i could go and walk into a situation with an array of wands, rings, rods etc and goto blasting everything in my path. However i wanted to play a charictor that can read minds. I'm going to this table to play something different, to unwind after a long and stressful week... I am part of a group, i have a supporting cast to help me get through whatever our DM throws at us (i hope) so i don't have to be all powerful, i just have to do my part. Perhaps its the Army in me that i believe in that - shrug- anyway at the end of the day its just a game for enjoyment right? I think i'll get alot of enjoyment from reading the thoughts of my enemies and even dominating them in the future.
I will look at the beguiler out of curiosity since i do not have that book and see what it says, but if he isn't a mind reader type that enjoys bending others wills to his own i doubt ill roll one.
I have too add, this website rocks,and the people on this site rock, ya'll have a wealth of knowledge that has already helped me greatly. Thanks much for all opinions and insight.

Maelstrom
01-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Don't forget the SRD. Psionics are part of the OGL, free to print off and use in your campaign.

http://www.d20srd.org

Count Arioch
01-30-2008, 10:47 AM
If you want to play a character that can read minds, Detect Thoughts is only a second level spell. You don't need to take levels in a PrC to be a mind reader.

And if you wanter to be a psion on 3.5, then you wouldn't be an enchanter at all. You'd be an evoker with 3.0 haste houseruled in, because that's what psions do in 3.5, they blow stuff up.

You say you just want to do your part. That's fine. You can do your part better if you have 8th and 9th level spells at level 20.

A beguiler is a class that's BASED around reading minds and bending them to their will, with light armor, better hit points, and rogue skills. (Well, not quite. They have fewer skill points than rogues. But they have more than wizards do.)

But anyway, if you want to play a character that can read minds and bend people to their will, then here's what you do.

You take one level in mindbender for the telepathy, and the rest in Wizard (Beguiler would work better in this case, but if you don't have beguiler, then take wizard. Bard is also a very good choice, better skills but worse spellcasting, use at your own risk)

You max out your ranks in diplomacy.

Here's your eternal charm: You cast a charm spell on someone, which makes them friendly. Then, you use diplomacy on the target, it's only a DC 20 to turn friendly into helpful permanently.
It's like the Eternal Charm from Mindbender, only it's better, and you can do this to as many people you want. And you can potentially do this at a much lower level than a Mindbender can.

The Dominate ability looks good, until you realize that a straight enchanter can cast Dominate Person, starting four levels ago.

Thrall looks good on the surface, until you realize that Dominate Monster (which at that point a straight enchanter will have) lasts 1 day per level. That's 17 days at the minimum. So, you can have 1 permanent thrall with the Mindbender, or use one spell slot per day to have 16 thralls permanently (Just order the dominated being to not resist the spell you are about to cast on them. There you go, no save.)

The mindbender is simply a "roleplayer's trap". It's a class that looks good for a roleplaying standpoint, but is inferior to taking just a straight class. They put classes like that in the books to punish people who don't think about what they can do.

So, if you want to read minds inferiorly, and cast spells inferiorly, and bend people to your will inferiorly, then take the class. Just understand you are making yourself worse at those things, not better.

DrAwkward
01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Although if it's an option, Player's Handbook 2 has a 20 level base class called the Beguiler which might be more your speed, you have enchantment spells, you have good skill points, as well as better hit points and ability to wear light armor.

A beguiler is flavored to be a mix of rogue and enchanter -- they do get the mind affecting spells (they pretty much only get them, in fact) and gain the rogue skill sets. If you have access to the books, I suggest taking a look - it does sound like what you had in mind.

Something to note -- you can use Beguiler to meet the prerequisites for Mindbender. This sounds more fun to me than Bard/Mindbender did.

Drohem
01-30-2008, 11:54 AM
The Mindbender PrC has an option to substitute arcane abilities for psionic abilities. So with the SRD and Complete Arcane you could play a psionic Mindbender. ;)

underdarkshark
01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
:eek: Its a weird feeling im experiancing. On the one hand i feel delighted for all the knowledge that was just given too me. Yet i have this overshadowing feeling of being talked down too at the same time. i have a overwhelming desire to just say "Ok Ok i didn't know! sheesh, and thank you so much for pointing out the flaws in the mindbender class your knowledge is appreciated"

DrAwkward
01-30-2008, 01:04 PM
:eek: Its a weird feeling im experiancing. On the one hand i feel delighted for all the knowledge that was just given too me. Yet i have this overshadowing feeling of being talked down too at the same time. i have a overwhelming desire to just say "Ok Ok i didn't know! sheesh, and thank you so much for pointing out the flaws in the mindbender class your knowledge is appreciated"

The flaws in the Mindbender class are opinions.

If you are playing in a campaign where you need an optimal character to survive, I'd pay closer heed to these opinions. If your DM takes into account the nature of your build rather than just your ECL, then play what you think sounds fun.

Drohem
01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
ummm...I'm sorry underdarkshark

I thought I was just giving you some unbiased information that you requested. I apologize if you felt that I was talking down to you in any way. :)

underdarkshark
01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
bah, i wrote that after i got off the phone with the wife, the reply was in actuality drenched in ickyness from that convo. i am the one who is sorry. Actually i do need the strongest charictor i can play because the other 3 people in the group are all warrior flavors so, in reality all this input is priceless..

Drohem
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
understood...it's all good :D

underdarkshark
01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I'll check with the Dm about the beguiler, (armor is a good thing) and perhaps just taking one level in mindbender is where its at. We need a Rogue anyway - too many options -

DrAwkward
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I'll check with the Dm about the beguiler, (armor is a good thing) and perhaps just taking one level in mindbender is where its at. We need a Rogue anyway - too many options -

I bury you in options:

Play a Doppelganger as a Monster Class -- they read minds at will.

Play an Illithid; you get meat sheilds and emergency rations at the same time.

Find access to Expanded Psionics Handbook and play a Thrallherd

Thrallherds are hilarious; taking ten levels only drops you down two manifester levels (unlike the 5 from Mindbender). Their shtick is they send out a subtle mental signal that attracts thralls (cohorts) to serve them. It's like taking Leadership, except you can treat them like the expendable dogs that they are, with no penalty. They don't serve because they want to, they serve because they must. They get some other abilities, but nothing worth transcribing, IMO.

underdarkshark
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
If i could get my hands on that book there would have been no need for this thread!!!!! being a herder does sound funny though. At this point im about ready to throw my hands up in the air and say something uneducated :confused: . tHe DM has the one with the Beguiler in it , i'll stick to something in there. This is getting complicated...

Maybe he will let me play a cable guy that gets sucked into some fantacy world , armed only with his disconnect tools and idol threats.... i need sleep.:D

DrAwkward
01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
If i could get my hands on that book there would have been no need for this thread!!!!! being a herder does sound funny though. At this point im about ready to throw my hands up in the air and say something uneducated :confused: . tHe DM has the one with the Beguiler in it , i'll stick to something in there. This is getting complicated...

Maybe he will let me play a cable guy that gets sucked into some fantacy world , armed only with his disconnect tools and idol threats.... i need sleep.:D

As Drohem amd Maelstrom have suggested, it is in the OGL. This means you do have access to it, legally, via the intertubes.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm

Riftwalker
01-30-2008, 03:14 PM
If you want some interesting followers/cohorts/thralls/whatever that will make your DM cry check this out. Note that making your DM cry often has negative consequences:

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-763024

Count Arioch
01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
The flaws in the Mindbender class are opinions.

So is your post. So is every post in this thread. So is every statement that has ever been made since the dawn of time.

Don't dismiss me by saying it's just "opinions". Either address my premises or don't argue with me at all.

Count Arioch
01-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Yet i have this overshadowing feeling of being talked down too at the same time.

I apologize if I gave you that impression. I have a personality like a sledgehammer, and people tend to take me a little more seriously at times.

If I was talking down to you, I'd be blatant about it. And probably get kicked off this board for doing so. :p

DrAwkward
01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
So is your post. So is every post in this thread. So is every statement that has ever been made since the dawn of time.

Don't dismiss me by saying it's just "opinions". Either address my premises or don't argue with me at all.

I wasn't dismissing them; My intent was to say that your points (in my opinion) are stronger under a DM that expects all characters to match thier ECL, and runs tough encounters based on that expectation.

Your points are less valid under a DM that emphasises roleplay and tailors encounters to the characters' actual ability. I, for example, wouldn't let you get away with what you had planned for Diplomacy, but would cut somebody with Mindbender levels a little slack, since it's part of thier concept.

Count Arioch
01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I, for example, wouldn't let you get away with what you had planned for Diplomacy,

Which is your prerogative as a DM. However, I hope you warn people that you house-rule that way before they try to make a character that does that.

But as a DM, I don't cut anyone slack. I feel that purposefully making a weak character for "roleplaying" purposes is inherently a selfish act, you are basically demanding that I alter all my encounters and expect the party to spend more resources keeping you alive because you think you're Laurence Olivier.

That, in my opinion (:p) stinks.

DrAwkward
01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Which is your prerogative as a DM. However, I hope you warn people that you house-rule that way before they try to make a character that does that.

But as a DM, I don't cut anyone slack. I feel that purposefully making a weak character for "roleplaying" purposes is inherently a selfish act, you are basically demanding that I alter all my encounters and expect the party to spend more resources keeping you alive because you think you're Laurence Olivier.

That, in my opinion (:p) stinks.

If a player warns me that he's interpreted Diplomacy to do what you laid out, I would certainly warn him that I've interpreted it differently.

And if I had one roleplayer at a table of powergamers, I'd suggest he find another group. Likewise if I had one powergamer at a table of roleplayers. There are lots of different styles of play, and they don't all mesh.

underdarkshark
01-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Aaah let me end this debate.. or try too. I asked for knowledge, i got it. I also got great insight, on mindbenders strengths and weaknesses, how to min max them etc...I now have enough knowledge to make a decision, and i also gained knowledge i didnt have such as the d20 site. Thanks much for all. I'm sure your both great DM/GM's whatever ya call yourselves.
may the force be with everyone.

DrAwkward
01-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Aaah let me end this debate.. or try too. I asked for knowledge, i got it. I also got great insight, on mindbenders strengths and weaknesses, how to min max them etc...I now have enough knowledge to make a decision, and i also gained knowledge i didnt have such as the d20 site. Thanks much for all. I'm sure your both great DM/GM's whatever ya call yourselves.
may the force be with everyone.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I just have to say that you are waaaay too polite for the internet.:D

Hakze
11-24-2010, 03:37 AM
3 years later......I am playing a mindbender atm, and saw this post. I couldn't help to add my 2 cents.....

The player states he is a anti-Loth drow. Thus Ellistriee would be the perfect deity for the (warlock-)mindbender since she is anti-loth. Mixed with Eldritch Disciple might be very nice. (Pure cleric is also possible because of the charm domain).

Warlock 1, Cleric 3, at lvl 6 Eldrtich Disciple. When you reach caster lvl 5 you take at least one lvl of mindbender.
Of course you can also go warlock/eldritch theurge if you prefer the arcane more.
The rest is for the min-maxers of player-flavor to figure out.

Tip, also take the mindsight from lords of madness (page 126). A 100ft blindsight. Wow.
Touch of captivation from playersguide to Eberon also grants 1 charm p/d, thus enabeling the mindbender one lvl earlier as a warlock ! Great feat ! Grants a charm, prestidigitation (RP-fun) and a special eye-color.
Taking the call of the beast invocation also grants wild empathy as druid and speak (telepathy!!!) with animals 24/7. Being able to telepathicaly speak with, and control/charm or dominate animals and pratically erverything with a mind by mere thoughts.........

For DM's.....try to think of this character as the ultimate permanent invis/flying/scentless char. It can "permanently" control huge groups of people via charms/dominates/suggestions at 100ft range. Monitor them 24/7via the telepathy-detect thoughts combo (medaillon of thoughts is only 12.000). By the time the players find out they have battled this guys party's it might be three campaigns later.

A disadvantage as a warlock mindbender is that you cannot easily charm multiple monsters. With one lvl of cleric, or the touch of captivation that is remedied, and even gives some great extra's.

The minbender/warlock might be a very potent PC or evil NPC. I can see whole campaigns revolving around this guy.

nijineko
11-25-2010, 11:00 PM
one thing these threads are missing, is that once the cry for help is answered, there seldom is a post-game / session / campaign report. i would love to have heard how this one turned out. also, those are some nice options you pointed out there, hakze.

nice comments on the warlock combo. =D i have a prospective thrallherd in the works right now.

Hakze
11-27-2010, 04:16 AM
Just took a peek at the thrallherd. Alas, our group has some bias against psionics. In all my years never played one. Might be fun, and indeed, mindbender also smells a lot like psionics.
Don't know how well they mix though, since I am a total noob in regard to psionic powers.

Saw three good paths to take in combo with the warlock myself:
arcane-Mindbender via eldritch theurge (not sure how many lvl's of mindbender)
cleric-Mindbender via eldritch disciple (not sure how many lvl's of mindbender)
5 Warlock-10 Mindbender

Sigh. But my DM mentioned to start in a heavy anti wizard area and never played a bard before. So I choose bard :( Looked ok for the charming mindbender, but I fear that the bard combo does bring some small advantages, but overall looks very poor with the possible mindbender combo's I thought of with warlock or sorc. I am a bit dissapointed in the bard as a class atm (too few spells p/d and spells known, too slow progression in spell lvl). I usually do seem to power-build most of my characters, so did choose bard to get to know the class better and RP my char without the use of combat for once. A bit of a miss to not play the char with the awesome potential it has with the warlock, but ok.

If someone has some funny tips or ideas to work with as a bard-mindbender, please respond ! Am lvl 5 bard atm. Taking mindbender next week, feat will go to leadership. Will not ever equip weapon, will focus solely on mind-affecting tricks and bard spells.

I have decided to play the char as a madam. Leadership will be used for employees and a cohort. DM liked the idea of a party starting a brothel, so gave the party 10.000 gold at lvl 5 to start a brothel in an other town. We just arrived in that town this week. (take a look at the quintessential temptress for the "rules", feats and funny idea's of the brothel business. I never started a guild before as a party, so looking forward to this !

The great thing of our party is that we did not know what each char was going to be. We just arrived with our chars at the start of the campaign. I influenced the DM a little as soon as I saw the potential of this group for the brothel.

The party has a half-orc who functions as the bouncer and muscle. A bandit of the crimson road who will get free leadership at lvl 10 (As I see it to manage the rogue-guild/shady side of running a brothel from lvl 10 on). And the greatest asset for the brothel must have been the druid. A druid you say ? YES ! HURRAY ! This female druid choose to be a bit of a city druid with master of many forms next lvl !!!!! ;) ;) ..... you see it ? ...... ;)

He doesn't know it yet. But I see her as the ultimate prostitute. Someone who can change into ANY humanoid form !!! OMG ! Slogan: "Whatever your pleasure?" I don't know how he'll respond to this special job-opening I am going to offer him yet though. I'll just try to be as charming as possible, haha, but since he is a PC, I won't dominate/thrall him probably if he finds it a bit .....yeah. Hope he'll like the idea of being the best paid prostitute in the business. And hope he won't run into to many weirdo's in regard to him being able to take more forms than humanoid...... We do have a pretty devious DM who also likes book of Erotic-Fantasies and Book of vile darkness. He even combines those..........yeah. I know. I fear the day he reads the Necronomicom.....haha

So, for the "Madam" (5 Bard-1 Mindbender). Starting a brothel atm. Any tips on items, what cohort to take, feats etc. Anyone ?

Hakze
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Found the Chameleon prc wich seems pretty nice for a cohort.
Made a 3 Swashbuckler/Guild-Enforcer (Temptress quint) wich can quilify for Chameleon pretty easy. Or i'll just go Harem-protector later.

Looking for funny items to enhance a building. Illusions or hallow-tricks maybe?