PDA

View Full Version : WotC: Say something nice!

ffclubhero
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Yo-

It's time for a thread about what we like about our friends (yes, friends, no sarcasm intended) at WotC.

I like the excitement of a new box of DDMs. There is nothing like finding that Rare you wanted in the first box of a new set. *drools* And I like the fact there is a dragon in the new box set. And a liche dragon. Yummy!

I'm enjoying the new art in some of the books, such as Worlds and Monsters. Very nice. Even if I'm still up in the air as to whether start 4ed. D&D, I love the art! :cool:

I do enjoy the podcast thing. Especially when they interview the writers and artists.

Anybody else? POST ON!!!

Drohem
01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I think they did an excellent job in creating the d20 Modern RPG, and creating several useful sourcebooks for it. I was pleased to hear that they will start supporting the line again.

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
I am eternally grateful for them to keeping the pen and paper genre in the public eye. While I have some insecurity issues with 4E expanding its target audience I am also excited that the pen and paper ranks will surely be bolstered because of its simplicity, their marketing, and their dedication to keeping the game alive and kicking. While I hate pouring out my cash I am totally in love with Magic The Gathering. My life is better because of it and I am the strategy hound that I am today because of MTG.

They are one of the more powerful game companies which makes them an easy target for whiners, the blame game, and people who just like to debate (:D). Truth be told, the gaming world is a better place because of their existence. Their popularity and success alone has empowered hundreds of game companies to put their own games and driven countless more to shine through the good old fashion spirit of healthy competition.

MortonStromgal
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM
The OGL was a nice idea... It brought me Mutants and Masterminds and several 3rd party publishes with great new ideas.

rabkala
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
I like that they don't repeatedly contradict themselves like TSR did.

RealmsDM
01-28-2008, 07:15 PM
OGL was a good thing... I'll give them that.

The art since 3.0 has been good if not downright awesome.

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 09:10 PM
The art of 4E is amazing. Reminds me of the quality that I love Warhammer FRP/40K for so very much :D. Example:

http://www.wocstudios.com/images/4e14.jpg

http://www.ravenmimura.com/images/full/EyeOfFlameBeholder.jpg

http://www.wocstudios.com/images/4e12.jpg

Malruhn
01-28-2008, 09:37 PM
WotC came out with SO much stuff, that even a jaded old fart like me can find stuff he likes!! Don't like this book? There'll be three more in a month!

And I REALLY liked the whole "Open License" idea...

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
D20 and the OGL were amazing for the pen and paper industry. I also like the fact that they put out products on a constant basis. That is the reason I've followed MTG for as many years as I have. There is always something new on the horizon to be excited about.

Maelstrom
01-29-2008, 03:48 AM
Gaming conventions!

Though I haven't beent to one yet (a situation soon to be remedied), I'm very much looking forward to 3 days of D&D 3.5, 4th, and DDM fun!

Lexdragon
01-29-2008, 09:57 AM
At first i was miffed by the costly revisions but there really has been a gradual increase in playability.

tesral
01-29-2008, 04:38 PM
They don't kick puppy dogs.

Mulsiphix
01-29-2008, 08:28 PM
They don't kick puppy dogs.A bit of a stretch but I do have to agree. This is true and a very good thing :p

gdmcbride
01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Say something nice about WOTC. Okay.

The quintessential success story of the RPG industry, Wizards of the Coast, through classic American innovation and a few revolutionary industry-shifting ideas, arose from a garage-based company started by a couple of college kids to the dominant force in hobby games in less than two decades.

Gary

ffclubhero
01-31-2008, 07:56 PM
I like the idea of an ICON size Dracolich. Yummy!!

rabkala
01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
WoTC makes more than just D&D. They also make Magic, Star Wars, Avalon Hill, Transformers CCG, Heroscape, and many good fiction novels.

Jay
01-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Remember WotC is now owned by Hasbro. I love WotC, but live in fear of what Hasbro might do with the property.
Jay

tesral
01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
WoTC makes more than just D&D. They also make Magic, Star Wars, Avalon Hill, Transformers CCG, Heroscape, and many good fiction novels.

(Sigh) Hat in hand for the death of Avalon Hill, one great game company. Yea, Lizards has it, but they don't produce a fraction of the games AH used to, nor even some of the best of that heritage.

rabkala
01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Ooops, Testrals. you forgot to post something nice! Perhaps you meant to say that WoTC has paired down the ridiculous poor choices to a handful of well thought out high quality products.

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 12:41 AM
For a good long while now they've been releasing CCG games and mini's games for short time periods. If they catch on then the game stays and if they don't, the game gets tossed. While some games I liked get tossed, rest in peace Hecatomb :(, they've done a good job at releasing some seriously awesome games.

tesral
02-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Ooops, Testrals. you forgot to post something nice! Perhaps you meant to say that WoTC has paired down the ridiculous poor choices to a handful of well thought out high quality products.

Well they haven't killed the brand outright. One should count the blessings. I would love to see some the old AH titles rereleased. "Wooden Ships & Iron Men", Terrible Swift Sword", even the old Panzerkrieg. Classic war games.

Yes the rules are complex, and the games can take hours. Wooden Ships & Iron Men lends itself well to minis.

Lizards didn't kill AH. Time and shifting play habits did that.

rabkala
02-01-2008, 09:32 PM
WoTC saved AH! Without WoTC, AH would be dead and forgotten by all but the oldtimers. Mismanagement, large debts, legal woes, and the popularity of other games led to the downfall of AH.

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I think AH was very popular for its time. Those types of games just don't do as well these days. There are wargamers and then there are WAR GAMERS like those who enjoyed AH games. Its hard enough to just fine wargamers these days :(

ffclubhero
02-02-2008, 09:36 AM
I have yet to play the Star Wars mini game, although I do have quite a few. Our great love here is the DDMs. I think I'll go get another DoD set and print the cards. It's cruddy out here and a good day to get my game on-- thanks for something to do on a rainy day WotC!!

GBVenkman
02-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Saaagaaa....

:DI think dedicating multiple forums to wiz' content is pleanty of thanks.

rabkala
02-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Their online content is very good. Many good adventures and extra material is posted on the site. Their forums are a helpful tool at times. (They could use better moderation IMHO) Good stuff!

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Their online content is very good. Many good adventures and extra material is posted on the site. Their forums are a helpful tool at times. (They could use better moderation IMHO) Good stuff!Quoted for truth. I agree with every last thing said. Their online freebies are matched only by Monte Cook, and even then only on one or two products like Ptolus and Arcana Unearthed.

nijineko
02-03-2008, 03:57 AM
i would have to say the srd and ogl ideas were some of the best things that ever happened to roleplaying. it breathed new life into d&d and made it a mainstream item. used to be you could only get rpg books in comic book stores. now you can find them and/or order them through all major book retailers. it made it free to get the basic rules for d&d. you could actually try before you buy, and legally too.

and anyone can publish for it. just look at how many companies produce d20 stuff now. it's insane. hasbro's marketing power and deal-making weight hasn't hurt it's expansion either.

and my employee discount on all rpg books i order through b&n doesn't hurt my feelings either. :rolleyes:

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
What kind of a discount? I really enjoy being able to go down to a major book store at the mall and being able to find RPG books. It wasn't too long ago that you had to order out of a catalog, with nothing more than a friends recommendations for the basis of the purchase.

rabkala
02-03-2008, 11:07 PM
WoTC supports your friendly local game shop through various means. You do not need to turn to the devil of b&n for good quality book buying.

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
WoTC supports your friendly local game shop through various means. You do not need to turn to the devil of b&n for good quality book buying.Thanks to eBay, Amazon, Amazon Marketplace, Half.com, Pricegrabber.com, and a few lesser known book store indexing search engines, this is wonderfully the case. I just enjoy being able to go down to my local B&N to sift through the pages of some of the more popular and art heavy products, like Eberron supplements, before committing to the purchase online.

tesral
02-04-2008, 12:14 AM
WoTC supports your friendly local game shop through various means. You do not need to turn to the devil of b&n for good quality book buying.

I buy from the LHS when ever practical. If you don't support them they will go away. Sadly, books are one of the few things I don't tend to buy at the LHS.

Saturday I hit three hobby shops and bought from two.

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Local Hobby shops are sadly, most in my personal experience, the mini-marts of RPG outlets. Suggest MSRP is common for most items. Uncommon and rare items being cut throat expensive and the only cheap items being what the store hasn't been able to sell and just wants gone. Great place for meeting other gamers or finding a rare item, bad for anybody on a budget.

nijineko
02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
i buy through b&n because i work there and get a discount. honestly, i buy from whatever place is cheapest. sometimes that's the local hobby. sometimes not. ^^ but when it comes to old and ancient stuff, it's usually the local hobby.

tesral
02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Local Hobby shops are sadly, most in my personal experience, the mini-marts of RPG outlets. Suggest MSRP is common for most items. Uncommon and rare items being cut throat expensive and the only cheap items being what the store hasn't been able to sell and just wants gone. Great place for meeting other gamers or finding a rare item, bad for anybody on a budget.

True. It is a nitch market, they don't get the advantage of volume to decrease prices. However they are in many cases the best thing going. I consider it worth while to keep them open.

Drohem
02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I can't quite explain the feeling and euphoria I get from spending hours in a cluttered bookstore or gaming store where you have to hunt and peck through dusty stacks of books in dark nooks-and-crannies of a shop. :)

tesral
02-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I can't quite explain the feeling and euphoria I get from spending hours in a cluttered bookstore or gaming store where you have to hunt and peck through dusty stacks of books in dark nooks-and-crannies of a shop. :)

The thrill of the hunt.

ffclubhero
02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I do like the OGL, although I'm waiting before proceeding on *potential* publication of 3-D rules for D&D minis. I realized my rules will be difficult with the two formats (Vintage and Standard), because I want my rules to be able to be compatible with all D&D minis.

I love WotC for announcing a second line of new minis on top of DoD. Good times, good times.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Drohem your the creepy guy in the dark corner that is giggling like a little school girl while rifling through stacks of unsorted books. Its fanatics like you that make the internet so cozy :eek:. I'm kidding but not at the same time lol. The prices are one of the two reasons I don't visit game and hobby stores anymore. The fanatics that visit there will just start talking to you about something they're interested in, hardly making sense, and following you around like a puppy. Drives me nuts and creeps me out like nothing else in this world :(

MortonStromgal
02-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Another good thing about WOTC is I never heard about them trying to take legal action against fan websites... Ahhh the early days of the internet.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
WOTC may not of but Milton Bradley Company, a subsidiary of Hasbro, does. The history of Heroscape (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroscape) is bloodied with dedicated fan entrails. It was downright shameless :(

Drohem
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Drohem your the creepy guy in the dark corner that is giggling like a little school girl while rifling through stacks of unsorted books. Its fanatics like you that make the internet so cozy :eek:. I'm kidding but not at the same time lol. The prices are one of the two reasons I don't visit game and hobby stores anymore. The fanatics that visit there will just start talking to you about something they're interested in, hardly making sense, and following you around like a puppy. Drives me nuts and creeps me out like nothing else in this world :(

No, I am not to that extreme. I have a fairly wide range of social skills, and I am fairly well groomed. I am married and in a great relationship. I usually am pretty quite and just browse books and hunt for ones that I consider 'gems.' I have been approached by the type that you speak of, and, being a good-natured individual, I will engage them in polite conversation. I mostly feel a sense of sadness when I encounter individuals who have poor social skills; I feel that they are somehow trapped in the shell of their personality and are extremely lonely. Loneliness is crippling and can quite spiral a person further into a introvertive drepression. So, these days I try to give everyone a fair shake and engage them when they speak to me. Now, sometimes you find completely nutty people, but, fortunately, I have the skills and ability to disengage from these people and go on about my business.

nijineko
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
you mean like the lady in red who does nothing all day but ride the bus and mumble to herself? or the "traveling couple" who are not 'tied down by and exclusive relationship' and she is the reincarnation of a famous guitarist who killed himself when she was about twelve (yes, you read that right), and he likes to chat about ancient atlantean technology like the ley line nexus and laser uplinks from the pyramids to power gathering satellites and the peace gatherings with aliens who come out of the ufo's and sit down for a nice chat, and their daughter is the reincarnation of an egyptian priestess from a few hundred to a few thousand years ago? those kind of people? (you meet such interesting people on the bus system, and they have such fascinating stories....) i won't even mention what the reincarnated young lady had to say about myself.... it was flattering, from a certain point of view.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Have you guys been reading the "Design and Development" articles on the D&D website?

Holy crap!! I've read most of them and from what I can tell, 4th edition sounds awesome! It has definetly gotten me excited about it that I am considering pre-order! And I never pre-order anything!

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Holy crap!! I've read most of them and from what I can tell, 4th edition sounds awesome! It has definetly gotten me excited about it that I am considering pre-order! And I never pre-order anything!I have read a few but find much of it hard to grasp due to my limited knowledge of the current 3.X ruleset. I understand theories but have a difficult time imagining what they're talking about. I don't even know if I'm going to play 4E but I'm so excited about it, damn you WOTC marketing team, that I'm considering pre-ordering the books. Even if I don't play it the core books for any game system are always useful :o

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
IEven if I don't play it the core books for any game system are always useful :o

INDEED!

ffclubhero
02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I perused "Worlds and Monsters" the other day. Most of the art is very nice, and it looks like WotC has totally revamped some elements (for ex., they have changed how the afterlife works in D&D).

Maelstrom
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Here's one. WoTC went to the players for the most recent play setting: Eberron.

I love the fact that WoTC held a competition for fans to create a major and popular setting.

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Here's one. WoTC went to the players for the most recent play setting: Eberron.

I love the fact that WoTC held a competition for fans to create a major and popular setting.That is one of the reasons I want to play Eberron so badly :D

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Beware! Eberron is ridiculously over-powered everywhere! Its like Forgotten Realms in those respects but taken up a notch.

Nevertheless it is loads of fun to play in!

I will miss my Changeling Wizard that used throwing daggers all the time!

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Overpowered like KOTOR?! :D

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Don't get me started!!!:D

Jonathan Kwiat
02-18-2008, 07:58 AM
OK, not problem. Wizard of the Coast (WotC) is our friend.

They have an economic model of roleplaying games that works.

They took over TSR and continued the Dungeons and Dragons Product Line.

They make some stupidly expensive products that I am happy to say suckers buy. I am happy about this because it subsizes the core material and allows Newbies to eventually purchase those things without getting their heads ripped off by friends.

They had the idea of their generic D20 system that could be licensed.

The hypertext markup webpage for technie newbies came about because of that.

What's not to love?

nijineko
02-19-2008, 06:56 AM
I have read a few but find much of it hard to grasp due to my limited knowledge of the current 3.X ruleset. I understand theories but have a difficult time imagining what they're talking about. I don't even know if I'm going to play 4E but I'm so excited about it, damn you WOTC marketing team, that I'm considering pre-ordering the books. Even if I don't play it the core books for any game system are always useful :o

my local gaming store is giving 15% off to anyone who preorders the triplet. plus an entry into the drawing for the mysterious "most awesome gaming accessory ever", which is apparently otherwise not for sale in stores or online.... i'm tempted.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I've played at Neutral Ground in Manhattan a Bit and I am very impressed about how GreyHawk is run in that setting.

It is a tight community but you can get in, download games that night, run them that night, get out, go home, have gold, have, XP, and have a character.

Granted it runs like some weird HyBrid of a very fanatical Card Game but you can get your license there and then play that stuff at home with friends, good chairs, good food, good times.

Be Well,

Jonathan

tesral
02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Today in the news Lizards did not drown any kittens.

Maelstrom
02-22-2008, 03:42 AM
Today in the news Lizards did not drown any kittens.

At least they are managing to keep those activities quiet. You know they Must be doing it.

rabkala
02-24-2008, 12:14 PM
I thought drowning kittens was a good thing!

tesral
02-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought drowning kittens was a good thing!

I happen to be a very pro cat person as evidenced by certain web pages (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/Pets/index.html).

I am posting such things for the simple reason that I find it curious that pro Lizards talk can happen anywhere, but anti Lizards talk is limited to one thread. I don't notice anti SJ Games talk being banished to one thread.

How about equal time for all viewpoints? When someone does something good, I'll say it. When they do something not so good, I'll say it.

rabkala
02-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Do you see every other threads being derailed by attacks against other game companies? I haven't, could you point me to them? I could point to a score of threads where people had completely gone off topic onto WoTC bashing. Numerous people complained, so the problem was contained until 4e could at least be released and judged fairly. If there is a consistent problem, feel free to give a yell via PM to your friendly local mod. We want everyone to feel comfortable posting their thoughts. :)

Maelstrom
02-25-2008, 04:49 AM
I happen to be a very pro cat person

I like cat's too! Let's trade recipes!

Ooops, derailed into cat bashing. I'll shut up, I promise.

boulet
02-25-2008, 07:11 AM
I praise WotC for being the lightning rod of the forum. Clumsy topic, embarassing moment ? Just mention the number 4 and a lizard, et voila, attention distracted :)

tesral
02-25-2008, 12:22 PM
I praise WotC for being the lightning rod of the forum. Clumsy topic, embarassing moment ? Just mention the number 4 and a lizard, et voila, attention distracted :)

What did the lizard do to you?

Sorry, but due to circumstances beyond their control Wizards of the Coast is forever linked with Lizards in my fevered brain. Blame TSR.

boulet
02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
They nickel and dimed me a few years ago with MtG, but hey I was conscious of it...

I like the nickname Lizards of the Coast. I like to read D&D guys argueing without end about a version that's not released yet. I'm just having fun, that's all...

tesral
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM
They nickel and dimed me a few years ago with MtG, but hey I was conscious of it...

I like the nickname Lizards of the Coast. I like to read D&D guys argueing without end about a version that's not released yet. I'm just having fun, that's all...

Cardboard crack. It gets a lot of people. I'm not immue. It isn't MtG, but Pirates. I love the little ships.