PDA

View Full Version : DDM- what would you like?

ffclubhero
01-28-2008, 09:29 AM
What would DDMers out there like to see with the release of the new rules? Which monster/ hero/ whatever needs a mini? Why do you think so?

Maelstrom
01-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Dwarf Sniper!

I just like the looks of him and his abilities. He has a Heavy Crossbow with a spyglass attached for a scope. Crossbow has explosive bolts for some pleasant area effect fire damage.

I would like to see a beholder of course. I'm glad the gelatinous cube made it into DoD. Just a couple of those that are specific to D&D amongst the fantasy genre.

I don't have too many minis(I think about 30 now), but I'm going to be losing most of them with the new ruleset, so any of those that make it into the player chosen 4e update would be nice.

Drohem
01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Dwarf Sniper!

I just like the looks of him and his abilities. He has a Heavy Crossbow with a spyglass attached for a scope. Crossbow has explosive bolts for some pleasant area effect fire damage.

I would like to see a beholder of course. I'm glad the gelatinous cube made it into DoD. Just a couple of those that are specific to D&D amongst the fantasy genre.

I don't have too many minis(I think about 30 now), but I'm going to be losing most of them with the new ruleset, so any of those that make it into the player chosen 4e update would be nice.

Oh hell yeah!!

My favorite fantasy race is dwarves, and they are never portrayed well enough for my tastes. That is an awsome idea!

Maelstrom
01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Mix a dwarven fighter with an artificer and you've got a mean sniper. Some of the artificer infusions (such as keen edge) can make the crossbow one mean bugger, especially if your DM allows both the crossbow ability and the bolt special ability to stack (such as having shocking bolts and a flaming crossbow). The fighter feats boost your archer abilities. I like Archerficers.

Lexdragon
01-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I think they are eventually going to release 4e cards for all the minis.

I would like to see more abberations and magical beast, stuff you use alot.

Maelstrom
01-29-2008, 03:34 AM
It would be nice if they did, but don't count on it. They are the makers of Magic the Gathering after all. They have promised that some player choice DDMs will make it as well as all the minis released this year, but no more. More likely they'll recycle previous minis into new sets.

But if anyone wants to sell their defunct minis, I'd be happy to buy them because of their D&D tabletop value :). I love the multi-purpose use of DDMs.

Lexdragon
01-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I like the multi-purpose use as well but yet i agree, i can see a lot of similar minis coming out because they make whats in the books for the most part and though the flavor may change........

ffclubhero
02-03-2008, 08:03 AM
I've actually been wanting to see more 'sword and sandals' style minis (think old school Hercules type movies, or '300' for the younger crowd).

tesral
02-04-2008, 12:21 AM
The DDMs have their uses. Good, near indestructible, pre-painted minis. The price is even reasonable.

About the only improvement I can think of would be to let me buy what I want when I want and ditch the collector thing. That is not happening however. Minis priced by "game value" and rarity annoy me. I can't see why this medium sized mini is two bucks and that medium sized mini is 10. All becasue they made less of that one and gave it better game stats.

I won't stop buying them however, they are too useful.

ffclubhero
02-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Those are very legit gripes, however, having those 'rares' makes opening a box that much more exciting. Hhhhmmm... wait a minute.... I'm feeling like Pavlov's dog here....

tesral
02-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Those are very legit gripes, however, having those 'rares' makes opening a box that much more exciting. Hhhhmmm... wait a minute.... I'm feeling like Pavlov's dog here....

(Rings bell)

I would much rather pay the same money knowing that I am getting minis I want and will use than the blind man's bluff of the packages. I have little to no use for a Huge Feindish Spider as an example of the pack I opened today. A dragon would have been much better. I would have paid 25 buck for the pack knowing what was in it.

rabkala
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
(Rings bell)

I would much rather pay the same money knowing that I am getting minis I want and will use than the blind man's bluff of the packages. I have little to no use for a Huge Feindish Spider as an example of the pack I opened today. A dragon would have been much better. I would have paid 25 buck for the pack knowing what was in it.
I have bought many bunches on ebay simply so I could buy 10 skeletons, 10 orcs, 10 goblins, etc. I have also bought many boxes only to be disappointed.

I have plenty hero type figures, I want more monsters. Especially the more common old school monsters that I am likely to use. Do you know how hard it would be to get 6 regular Trolls, giants, or something like that? I ran numerous adventures where it's, "Okay, all these orcs are ___________s ." There are so many that are only rare or out of one old set that it is impossible to get what I want!

cplmac
02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Dwarf Sniper!

I would be a PC instead of the DM if I could play the Dwarf Sniper! Not sure about the spyglass as a scope, though. Personally scopes get in my way when shooting. Give me open sights anyday.

I am hoping to see alot of the creatures from the 2e Monster Manuals make a showing in the new one. Although it will be interesting to have new creatures to "throw" at the PCs when 4e is out.

Since I never got the 3.x stuff, I never got into using minis for keeping track of people and creatures. From what several of you have told me on here, they do make things a lot easier, especially in combat.

tesral
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Since I never got the 3.x stuff, I never got into using minis for keeping track of people and creatures. From what several of you have told me on here, they do make things a lot easier, especially in combat.

I used minis in 0e. They clarify the tatical situation if nothing else. It solves the where is everyone in reation to everyone else questions. You know exatly who is in range of the fireball and who isn't and so forth. Grid or no grid, it is a useful visualization tool.

ffclubhero
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Miniaturemarket.com is a great place to find those minis, but some are freakin' steep! I'd love to have a beholder, but there's no way I'm dropping $30 for one.