PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer: Which Is Your Favorite?

Mulsiphix
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Please note this poll is about the games universe and setting, not the game system itself. In the campaign, the game system will not be used.

I'm putting together my first GURPS campaign setting. At first I was going to set it in VOR: The Maelstrom but since it was only developed for two years, and due to the products released baring a striking resemblance to Warhammer Army Codexes, I've decided to just use the VOR race books in one of the Warhammer settings. I know that 40K is sci-fi but it stemmed from Warhammer FRP and two of the three options are fantasy themed. Of the three game universes available, which is your favorite and why? The more detail and opinions given, the better ;)

tesral
01-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Meh. I find the entire universe of battle setting depressing.

Mulsiphix
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Meh. I find the entire universe of battle setting depressing.That was really helpful. Thank you :rolleyes:

Maelstrom
01-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Can't say I'm much of an authority since I've only dabbled in other people's warhammer games. I've never owned a set myself.

I did enjoy the Britonians back in the day though (Fantasy). Their mounted knights fought in a special wedge formation, each naturally having extremely good armor saves and don't break easy. If they ever charged an opponent, the ones that survived were begging for mercy.

Problem was, I played against some high elves. Filthy forest-dwellers had mean ballistas that would rip my knights to pieces.

The goblins had a bit of flavor too, with their various contraptions like boiling oil launchers. Their Squig riders are pretty interesting too.

There is definate promise of having a setting based in Fantasy Warhammer, and the race books do each have some information about their homeland that could be of use.

gdmcbride
01-28-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm a big fan of the skaven of any generation. There is something about hordes of gnawing wicked ratmen that just really appeals. That and so many of their miniatures are just so great.

We shall inherit.

Gary

Drohem
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I only own WHFRP (both editions). I've never played the minature games; either science fiction or fantasy. I've seen them played and observed. I do like the WH fantasy game world; it is grim-and-gritty. I like grim settings. ;)

underdarkshark
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I know the lead programmer that coded the warhammer game way back, the first one before the 40,000 series. I even got a tee-shirt still ~ i think... ahh memory lane..

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Good stuff. Thank you for the uber details Maelstrom and the appealing wicked ratmen gdmcbride :D. I love the grittiness of both FRP and 40K which makes this decision so very hard. I also like how WRP is more of a career system than a class system. I think that would be much easier to adapt than the uber defined D&D classes. Anybody else want to cast a vote? Pretty please :o

upidstay
02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Skaven rule. I watched two groups of six skaven each wipe out a large Elven unit once at a con. I don't remember the details, but it was basically a 30 point group versus a 500+ point major unit. The skaven rolled perfectly, and the Elves rolled miserably, every time. It was classic David and Goliath, but instead of a sling it was nasty little rat dudes with terrible pointy teeth. Reminded me of the Rabbit from Python's Holy Grail.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
I read in an RPG.net review that the latest edition of Warhammer FRP has been made much more gritty than those released prior to the 2005 revision. Does anybody know both products and have any comments on this? I'd love to hear more details.

nijineko
02-10-2008, 05:05 AM
the closest i've ever come to warhammer is watching over shoulders. oh, and i thumbed through a few books. it doesn't have anything that grabs me yet.