PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Companies / Corporations You Love

Mulsiphix
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
There has been a lot of talk lately of 4E and corporate behavior in general. I'm curious what companies you guys do like and why. For me I admire Nintendo greatly. They were the ID Software of the console world for a good long while. Things drastically changed when Sony entered the fray. Despite their declining sales and user base they never seemed bitter. They always had their customer in mind, continue to develop product lines that they were criticized for continuing (Donkey Kong, Mario, Wario, etc...).

After the horrible sales from the GameCube they still stayed in the console game (unlike Sega after the Dreamcast) and released the Wii. Between the Wii and Nintendo DS console, they are now the most popular videogame company in the world. During this time they've continue to donate consoles and money to key childrens charities and programs. Even their more adult franchises are still awkwardly "family friend". They are a shining example that not all power is corrupting ;)

tesral
01-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Companies I like?

Microcenter: I get a fair deal on my computer bits. Their people are knowledgeable and friendly. I keep telling them they ought to give me a commission for all the people I steer that way.

Steve Jackson Games: What a game company should be.

Larry Huges Garage: A good and honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

Freeservers: My web hosting company. I have been with them for ten years. An eon in computer time. I am happy with the service and the price.

Mulsiphix
01-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Fry's Electronics
THE best computer parts store I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Unheard of 30 day return policy on just about ANYTHING and a selection that is absolutely massive. I shop there for everything from individual transistors and electronic kits to consoles to pc parts. Best electronics store on the planet as far as I am concerned. We have a microcenter here but their prices are quite high compared to Fry's Electronics so I don't do much shopping there.

Drohem
01-25-2008, 10:48 PM

I agree.

rabkala
01-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I have a more Shadowrun view, all mega-corps are evil.

I guess some I hate less...

Mulsiphix
01-26-2008, 05:58 PM
I try to give corporations the benefit of the doubt. Usually I don't have emotional responses to corporations until I've been burned by them via customer service or until I feel nickel and dimed over a long period of time.

ffclubhero
01-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Personally, I feel no ill towards the people within the corporation. Chic-fila comes to mind for a company with policies I can appreciate.
I just want to see people treat their workers and customers well. Can't we all just get along? ;)

nijineko
02-03-2008, 04:31 AM
There has been a lot of talk lately of 4E and corporate behavior in general. I'm curious what companies you guys do like and why. For me I admire Nintendo greatly. They were the ID Software of the console world for a good long while. Things drastically changed when Sony entered the fray. Despite their declining sales and user base they never seemed bitter. They always had their customer in mind, continue to develop product lines that they were criticized for continuing (Donkey Kong, Mario, Wario, etc...).

After the horrible sales from the GameCube they still stayed in the console game (unlike Sega after the Dreamcast) and released the Wii. Between the Wii and Nintendo DS console, they are now the most popular videogame company in the world. During this time they've continue to donate consoles and money to key childrens charities and programs. Even their more adult franchises are still awkwardly "family friend". They are a shining example that not all power is corrupting ;)

hahahahahahah! and do you know the secret history of nintendo? =D i'll be happy to fill you in. they never made video games. not at first. they were a playing card company in japan. and somehow they got in contact with this company who made video games. had been for some time, in fact. this company had pretty much given up selling video games, since despite long and strenuous efforts, it seemed doomed to be a niche market.

so they opened negotiations. and nintendo saw potential in it. so they bought the rights to the software and hardware designs. and with those designs they made the famicon. it quickly became quite popular in japan. and then they decided to try the american market-with the results you know. here they called it the nintendo.

and the company who sold the designs to nintendo, setting them on the map and changing the future in ways unknown and unpredictable at that time?

atari.

MortonStromgal
02-03-2008, 03:29 PM

agree

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Entire PostNo self respecting gamer doesn't know the origins of Nintendo. The fact that they have been around since 1889 is impressive indeed. I do not understand what you were trying to say in your post. I read it several times and am not sure if you are for or against my view of nintendo or if you meant to point something else out entirely. Could you fill me in on the intent/moral of your post?

nijineko
02-04-2008, 10:25 AM
the moral of the story? don't give up. i like nintendo. i was, however, more of a sega fan, myself, as far as that goes. mostly i just think it's an interesting story. on topic... i don't think i have a favorite corporation. i have a few i dislike, but i don't think i hate any.

Drohem
02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
If I were to invest hatred in a particular corporation, then WotC would be fairly low on the list. The number one spot would be filled by Microsoft, and it's owner Bill Gates, who is the antichrist (if I subscribed to the parent belief system).

razada
02-04-2008, 12:17 PM
i have always liked hasbro and wizards of the coast, great games and communities. can find fun people to play with and good games to enjoy

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
If I were to invest hatred in a particular corporation, then WotC would be fairly low on the list. The number one spot would be filled by Microsoft, and it's owner Bill Gates, who is the antichrist (if I subscribed to the parent belief system).Microsoft is no different than WOTC in that the companies were founded out of the garage of hard working people. If anybody wishes to debate this in detail though, please start a new thread. Let us not sully this one with what will surely turn into a 20,000 page flame fest.

Drohem
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I disagree, but have no need to debate it. :D

MortonStromgal
02-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Microsoft is no different than WOTC in that the companies were founded out of the garage of hard working people. If anybody wishes to debate this in detail though, please start a new thread. Let us not sully this one with what will surely turn into a 20,000 page flame fest.

For the record WOTC was founded by 3 Boeing employees, who hit a gold mine producing Magic. Hard working, maybe? knowing the gaming industry and having semi-close contact to one of the three I'm still amazed they didn't blow the fortune on steak dinners.

Microsoft, well you got the old Seattle DOS thing (ie they bought it, they didnt create it) + Bill's Dad (very well known lawyer who rubs elbows with the right people) and IBM backing them. Hard working, not really. However they didn't make their fortune until Excel toppled Lotus 1-2-3 and Windows 95 beat out OS/2 so there was a lot of hard work put into making that fortune. Also Bill is back to just coding before retirement, and you have Balmer running the show (Developers Developers Developers... heart attack waiting to happen)

On to corporations I love, currently IBM (though they have been on the hate list plenty of years) for standing up to SCO and not settling out of court. In gaming I also like Necromancer Games, I wish WOTC put that much thought into their designs.

ffclubhero
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
For distributors, I have much love for both ICON and Miniaturemarket.com . Both good!

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 06:28 AM
I can't remember if they have been mentioned so far but I'm a big fan of Goodman Games. Their products are top quality and they've given me much inspiration through my favorite produce line of theirs, DragonMech :D

Drohem
02-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, Steve Jackson Games has already been mentioned and discussed, and I don't think anyone can bring up a negative about that company.

I really like Greg Porter and BTRC (Blackburg Tactical Research Center). Mr. Porter has been producing quality games and game supplements for years now.

http://www.btrc.net/

I have always like his attitude, humor, and writing style.

CORPS, TimeLords, and WarpWorld are some of my favorites from him. He has resigned himself to the fact that his most successful game is Macho Women with Guns.

VDS, Guns!, More Guns!, and Stuff! are great universal game supplements that can easily be used with most game systems.

EABA is Mr. Porter's latest game, and it rocks! There is a free lite version that you can download and check out. I highly recommend it.

nijineko
02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
i have to admit that i'm fond of mr. jackson. very nice fellow. i've exchanged emails with him before, and he was quite nice. and i've always been a fan of car wars, especially the rare car wars/champions crossover supplement. =D (who needs weapons on the cars? just lean out the window and start tossing lightning bolts and lasers!)

and i have to admit, upon much contemplation that i love mr. zocchi's gamescience dice! and advancing hordes for carrying them. =D

MortonStromgal
02-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Well, Steve Jackson Games has already been mentioned and discussed, and I don't think anyone can bring up a negative about that company.

I don't like GURPS character creation...

Yeah ok thats all I got, I even like In Nomine, Hellboy, and all their card games.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I love America Online. Thanks to them the internet is so user friendly. Bless you Steve Case, bless you :o

tesral
02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I love America Online. Thanks to them the internet is so user friendly. Bless you Steve Case, bless you :o

I don't think that koolade was good for you.

boulet
02-05-2008, 09:58 PM
[Edit : oops Mulsiphix already made the joke with AOL]

I even like In Nomine
That was a French game btw ! I wonder if the Jackson version is in a serious or comedy kind of mood.

fmitchell
02-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Re: In Nomine

That was a French game btw ! I wonder if the Jackson version is in a serious or comedy kind of mood.

I owned a previous version, and despite some satirical elements the writing was more-or-less serious. Definitely it was irreverent, treating religious beliefs as just another mythology; for example, after Gabriel dictated the Quran to Muhammad he/she got on the bad side of a number of angels, notably "Dominic", the archangel in charge of Heaven's Inquisition. There's a Demon Prince of the Media, and an example high-ranking NPC angel that organized cooperative projects on the internet (a shout-out to Linus Torvalds).

The bibliography/videography -- hey, it's a Steve Jackson product -- included Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens and the moody if uneven movie The Prophecy (aka God's Army or God's Secret Army). Make of that what you will.

Mulsiphix
02-06-2008, 05:45 AM
I remember when I was so new to computers that I thought Ctrl + Alt + Del was a secret code and that America Online was the internet. I just had to say it :D

tesral
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I remember when I was so new to computers that I thought Ctrl + Alt + Del was a secret code and that America Online was the internet. I just had to say it :D

I remember when you flipped it off and back on to reboot (C-64) and Internet? What is that?

boulet
02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I remember when sneezing was all that was needed to reboot my ZX81 since the 16KB RAM Pack was very sensitive (yes 16 kilo bytes, it was huge then)... extremely frustrating after an hour of typing a program in Basic that draws a circle and there was no floppy/hard drive of any sort...

nijineko
02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I remember when you flipped it off and back on to reboot (C-64) and Internet? What is that?

darpanet. it was darpanet. ^^

Mulsiphix
02-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Netflix. I love Netflix. There are a lot of online movie rental places and Netflix is my favorite. I go through movies like a fiber junkie goes through TP. I've received cracked discs, super scratched discs, missing discs, incorrect discs, etc.. with all of the major online rental companies out there. Netflix not only fixes these problems the fastest but they often give me credit for my trouble. Their turn around time is the fastest and by far movies that have a long waiting time arrive earlier than on other services. Actually most services that have movies listed with a long waiting time never actually get the movie to me. Their customer service is top notch, their shipping fast, and their prices competitive. Great company ;)