PDA

View Full Version : Off-topic

Riftwalker
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Fuzzy, do you get email notifications when I post? I usually post to the game thread, check the other new posts, and by then you've usually responded! The beast cannot be sated! :D

Fuzzy alchemist
01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, but I normally respond before the e-mail shows up. I check back a lot to make sure I do not keep you waiting unnecessarily. I would typically be in class right now, but we have a snow day. I do not mean to rush you when I do it. I simply prefer to have the other person be the limiting factor so that I do not feel as though I am holding things up.

Riftwalker
01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
LOL ok. Hopefully you're not thinking that it's going too slowly. On average I'll probably be able to post about once per day.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
On the highly likely possibility you have been increasing your post frequency for me. I thank you very much but assure you that if it is putting undue stress on you that you need not do it. While I greatly appreciate any efforts you make to improve my enjoyment the rate of the game before was not problematic for me. Do no misconstrue this as a request to slow down either. I am simply saying that you need not put on due stress on yourself either way. This game has my devotion until the end whether it is posting frequency is low or high.

Riftwalker
01-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Actually, I was going to post at some point to basically say, don't get used to this. :) I happened to have a slow weekend. There will be times I'll have to fly off somewhere (for business) and not be able to post more than once a day, if at all.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok. That is understandable. Still, I appreciate you using the additional time you had to post for me.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Congrats on 200 posts Riftwalker.

Riftwalker
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
LOL thanks :) Holy crap, level 8! (I'm sure most probably come from this game.)

Fuzzy alchemist
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh, good job defending yourself in the spell points over slots thread. I thought it was wrong of them to jump on you like that, but making a big deal of it would have only caused more problems.

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh I didn't feel jumped on or the need to defend myself. I just voiced some disagreements as part of the discussion. I hope it didn't sound inflammatory--I didn't intend for it to.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-09-2008, 08:11 PM
No, what they said seemed to be an attack on you. I might just be overly sensitive and what they said was perfectly fine. If you took no offense it is not my place to do so for you or make you thing you should. This makes it even better that I did not jump in because I might have started something where nothing needed to be started. I was simply saying that you handled yourself well and that your post was well worded.

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Oh ok. Thanks :)

Fuzzy alchemist
03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Based on the announcement that appears above the rest of the stuff here there is a dice roller that went down and is now back. How does one use it? That way you know I am not lying about what I roll.

Riftwalker
03-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Let's see if I can put in an example:

[ roll=d20+3]Some text describing what the roll is for[/roll ]
Puts this in the body of the post:
Some text describing what the roll is for

and the roll result at the end.

Make sure to delete the space between the [ and the roll, and the /roll and the ].

Fuzzy alchemist
04-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Sorry about the current delays in posting. Apparently my junk filter assumes that if I delete something without reading it many times it is junk. So, I was not being made aware of when the posting was happening. The first time I just assumed I missed it, but now I have tracked down the problem and fixed it. I should be back to posting shortly after you now.

Riftwalker
04-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Ok no problem. :)

Riftwalker
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey Fuzzy, haven't heard from you in a while. Hope everything's ok on your end.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Sorry about that. I was stumpped as to what to do for the first couple of days then got arrested that Friday. I got out of jail earlier today and should be able to post tonight. Once again, I am sorry.

Riftwalker
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
No worries. I hope everything's ok!

Because I'm nosy, would you elaborate on the what the jail was about in a PM? And if you'd prefer not to share that's totally fine, too.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Ok, I think that there is more that I am going to need to know about the city from my character's point of view. Either tell me what you need me to roll to figure out or do it for me and assemble a list. I could likely read over its section in the book to find a lot of this, but that would not tell me how much my character knows.

Adverse possesion laws: for instance how long one has to be there before you can make the claim.
Sewer system: Is there one? If so how easy is it to access? What is it like?
Justice system: How fair are things? How good are the cops at their job? What kind of sentence am I looking at if they find out about my plan (or manage to start the experiments and collecting more subjects) and convicted of the associated crimes?
Ownership laws: Can I own property? What legal rights are extended if I do?

Riftwalker
05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm going to respond to this in the in-game thread.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-23-2008, 06:34 AM
I am curious, is there some way a post can be made to be able to be edited by either of us? I mean a public list of important NPCs and places would be nice, especially if it could be edited and indexed so that it would be easy to navigate and keep what is known about each up to date. I figure we are both keeping our own private versions of it, but still it would be nice not to have to pull up the document each time and search through it for information on a given person. Just a though.

Also on a completely differant thought. I love the fact that we have managed to develop several places for future story elements to come from. Between the people he has met in town (the wizards and the owners of the inn), the naughty things he has done in his past (the trapped disciple and those caring for her), the nature of his home, and the establishment of his own secret lab, we should not run short on places for additional story elements beyond the main one of being a student to come along. Any of them could form additional complications or additional tangents for the story. That is one very nice thing about solo campaigns, you can develop these kinds of things without having to worry that they are either going to be wastes of time or steal the spotlight from another character.

Riftwalker
05-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Actually, because I have moderation privileges on this sub-forum, I can edit any of the posts on it. If you want to put up some notes to sort of get the format going, I'll add to them as the story goes on.

I'm glad to hear that the breadth of story options is good. One thing I was worried about was basically throwing you into a sandbox with nothing but sand. I want the world and the experience to be a rich one. I think you should get to pick and choose what Takuzei ends up doing and who he meets from all the various options/hooks/characters that come along in addition to pursuing your own agenda, and have events play out "realistically" with the other characters having their own motivations and goals, too.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-30-2008, 03:51 AM
Would a reflavoring of the Rot of Ages spell which would be mechanically identical (except for the removal of the conjuration aspect) and play up the necromantic part be ok?

Basically it would harmlessly cause things to decay (the first few layers of skin, useless branches and leaves,etc.) and form the cloud instead of creating it from nothing. It would still have the same game effects but the source would be different. This is honestly just a matter of reflavoring for me. I would be reaping no mechanical benefit as it was part of the necromancy school before and conjuration was among the schools in his aspect so it is not even a matter of trying to avoid the possibility of one of its schools being outside of my aspect causing problems.

Riftwalker
05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
What's the source for that spell?

Fuzzy alchemist
05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Dragon magic page 72.

Riftwalker
05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Ah ok. I don't have that book. How's this: can you make whatever changes to the spell you want and then write up the new spell in the normal format for spells. That'll give me something to start with (in case I need to alter it).

Fuzzy alchemist
05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Rot of Ages
Necromancy
Level: Druid 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action; see text
Range: Close (25 feet +5 feet per 2 levels)
Target: one creature
Duration: 2 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: No

A whirlwind of decay swirls around your target causing detritus to putrefy and become foul. Layers of skin and bark fall away adding to the cloud of rotting material.

This spell encompasses your target in a cloud of rotting debris. The target is sickened for 2 rounds. Furthermore, all other creatures are treated as having concealment against the target. A successful fortitude save negates the sickness, but not the concealment. A living creature already under the effect of rot of ages that fails a save against a second casting of the spell is nauseated (rather than sickened) for as long as both effects last (and then sickened for the remainder of the second spell's duration).

Riftwalker
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
That seems powerful, but reasonable. I'll allow it. Let's change the target to only let it affect living creatures (with skin/bark/whatever that can decay for that matter), and the concealment only applies if the creature uses sight to navigate the world.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok, I just something rather distressing. My character sheet seems to have lost most of its information since my last update. If you could double check that that is how it appears on your end that would be of assistance. If it is indeed blank I can work on renter the information from memory, but if it is just a glitch on my end and not happening on your end I do not wish to risk reentering the information incorrectly when their might be a correct version already there.

Riftwalker
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
It looks like it was erased and then you've put some data back into it. I'll check back again later once you've re-entered everything.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Ok, that character sheet is not cooperating and I recreated the stuff as best I could. I am aware that there are differences between this version and the original. They are due to the fact that I could not remember those parts of the original and there were no story clues for them. I also fixed some errors from the first copy in the new one. All of the stuff on this one has either been supported by the thread or at the very least not precluded by it. I did not make any of the decisions as to how to fill in the parts I could not remember based on what I thought would give it a mechanical advantage. It was based on some additional thinking as to what fit and how his history might have played out in certain portions. Also, I did not remember how much money he started with but I know it was more than enough to cover his debts up until this point, so I basically zeroed it out and added the money he just gained as well as enough to pay for his first month's dues. This assures that I do not edit in more money than I should, but still allows me to be sure that I can pay out for things in the future. I can go into further discussion as to the ideas I came up with while I was doing the repairs if you like. One very nice thing is that I will now have another copy on hand if something bad happens to the one online. Anyway here is the basic stuff for it. I will continue updating it if things come to me until we set a version in stone and that is what we will work from from that point forward.

Character: Takuzei
Player: Fuzzy
Race: human
Class & Level: Hedge wizard 2
Ability scores and mods: Str 6 (-2) Dex 10 (0) Con 8 (-1) Int 20 (5) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 16 (3)
Saves: Fort 0 Ref 1 Will 3
Normal AC: 10
Flat-footed AC: 10
Touch AC: 10
HP: 4
BAB: 1
Initiative mod: -6
Speed: 30
Feats & special abilities: Cursebrewing; brew potion; inattentive; unreactive; Spell (focus necromancy); Arcane mastery; Precocious apprentice; Apprentice; Strength of spirit, body, and mind; mother cyst
Equipment: Pack of cards, heavy crossbow, sack, spellbook, spell component pouch, 1 sheet of useful paper, marbles, inkpen, sap, bottle of spirits, 48 gp, 64 sp, 23 cp
Languges: Common, Anderlar, Infernal, Sylvan, Draconic, Aboleth, Qualith
Important skills: Appraise 2, Bluff 8, Craft (Alchemy) 10, Diplomacy 12, Gather information 8, Knowledge (arcana) 10, Knowledge (religion) 10, Listen -5, Profession (herbalist) 5, Spellcraft 14 Spot -5, Search 10
Spells: All 0 level,Soothsaying, Social invisibility, Ray of enfeeblement, Spirit worm, parching touch, deaths call, Rot of ages, Lesser shivering touch, Chill touch, Necrotic Cyst

Riftwalker
06-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't recall the Strength of Spirit, Body, Mind feat. I also can't recall what it does or where it is from. Did you have both Inattentive *and* Unreactive before? I remember restricting the number of character flaws to 1, but it's also possible I allowed it anyway (can't remember.)

Fuzzy alchemist
06-03-2008, 08:13 PM
As to the body spirit and mind thing it comes from racial transformations. If I read the Dawnforge campaign setting correctly the advancement of the race is happening at the same time as that of the class. I could be wrong.

As to the flaws, I do believe you allowed it as it explains how I got the feats. If I am wrong it can be fixed with the removal of spell focus and one of the flaws, likely unattentive as it has come into play less.

Riftwalker
06-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Ah ok found it. Yep, no problem at all. It had slipped my mind that you got a racial transformation at 2nd level and that Strength of Mind, Body, and Spirit was it. If I said the flaws were ok, that's fine. I just couldn't remember what I said regarding that.

Riftwalker
06-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Haven't heard from you in a week. Hope everything's ok.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry, I got busy shortly after you posted to ask what was up with me. Before that I thought I was waiting on you. My mistake. I should be able to post within the night.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I was working on too many things and posted something that was supposed to go in the game thread here. fixed it.

Riftwalker
06-15-2008, 02:04 PM
It's all good. I had a trip last week and would not have been able to update every day anyway.