PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Shadow Dweller

Shadow Dweller
01-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Got pointed here from ENWorld.org and it looks like a good place to start if nothing else. :)

Gaming Timeline of Me

MAGIC: THE GATHERING
Starting my gaming "carrer" in Highschool playing Magic the Gathering, basicaly the gateway drug of the gaming world. Played this all the way from around the launch of Tempest in 97, finaly stoped playing the paper version around Mirrodin, however I continued to play online up through the launch of Savior of Kamigawa. After spending an estimated $2K+ on magic cards, both tangible and digital, I decided to enough was enough and stoped playing more than the casual game here and there.

MMO's
Around this time a friend of mine got me hooked on Star Wars: Galaxies, right around the time of the combat upgrade. Outside the couple of hours in total I'd spent playing EQ at my friends house on his account in Highschool this was my first foray into the MMO scene. It was great, it was grand...Then the NGE hit and the mass flight from the game happened. Not to mention some RL issues that made me take a break from the game. When that happened my co-workers convinced me to try WoW and City of Heroes. One got me addicted the other...not so much. Take a wild guess at which was which:p While I liked WoW, and played it for a few months, I never really advanced much and began to lose interest, eventualy going back to SWG. I've been back ever since with a long standing established Rebel guild on Sunrunner. If your ever there shoot me a tell on Darforth or Tronsh.

The True Addiction
In the summer/fall of '05 the same co-workers that got me into WoW convinced me to try D&D with them. I did and was instantly hooked. I'd played NWN and looked at the game before but never really gave it a try. The game was fun...but limited thanks to the group trying to play the Living Greyhawk campaigns. We did ok...but it was too restricted and after about 3 months, we stoped playing.
About 2 years later in the fall of '07 I got sucked back into a group comprising most of the prior groups members and about 4 others for a total of 9 people in the group at a time. I was jumping into a Starwars game they had going, or would have had the person piloting the ship to the planet I was waiting on not taken a Hyper jump into the event horizon of a Black Hole, instantly killing the entire group. So the character I spent all week working on was toast before he was ever officaly introduced, go figure. Since then we've played a starwars game, a D&D game and an Exalted game before coming back to D&D. Both D&D and the Exalted are what our DM calls "Spotlight games" where one member of the group is the focal point of the campaign. the first D&D game was in a world of the DM's creation where Divine magic was almost nill aside from the priestess of the long "sleeping" Goddess of Life. The only other deiety was the God of Madness who was similarly "sleeping". Also, only humans, and a variant human race populated the world. The crux of the "Spotlight" is this, the person deseginated before hand is the defacto leader of the group, all decisions end up going through their hands by RP. Also, if that character dies, the game ends. LOTS of fun and has kept me enthraled for a long time. The group has out own website(not yet operational) and forums(up and running) at www.RPGGeeks.org/forum (http://www.RPGGeeks.org/forum) and a Wiki to keep track of characters at www.RPGGeeks.org/wiki (http://www.RPGGeeks.org/wiki) . Feel free to check it out, my usename on both is the same as here, with my characters listed under that user name.

Now!
The only reason I'm leaving this group is that I'm getting out of the military and heading back home to Fort Worth following jobs. As such, I have to find a new group :(. I'm back "home" at the begenning of Feb but not looking to start gaming probably for a few weeks to get myself, my kids and my wife aclimated to being back home.

Sorry for the long rant in the opening post, but though it good to give a decent background.

rabkala
01-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Welcome aboard. Good luck in your search. I guess the gateway games do bring in people... interesting.

Mulsiphix
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the community! I rather enjoyed your extensive background. Most new members just say hi and mention the system they enjoy the most. A nice change of pace ;)

For finding players the Player Registry (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/memberlist.php) is an invaluable tool and for recruiting players as a DM the Campaign Invitations (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) forum is perfect. Please join us in on any of the various topics being discussed in the forums. For best results taking the initiative to contact players in your area should greatly increase your chances of finding others to game with. Many players are in groups that have openings but since they aren't the GM they don't go out of their way to recruit new players for the game. I wish you the best of luck in finding gaming bliss in the near future.

Shadow Dweller
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry for the long post...I have a tendency to ramble.

Mulsiphix
01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry for the long post...I have a tendency to ramble.Rambling is good when there is new information coming in. When you go on and on and on about the same thing, constantly reiterating the same point, then rambling can be a bad thing. Lots of long winded ramblers on this board. You'll fit in quite nicely ;)