PDA

View Full Version : D&D Ask Wizards: 01/23/2008 (Converting 3.5e to 4e)

PnP News Bot
01-22-2008, 11:41 PM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Ask Wizards: 01/23/2008 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ask/20080123a)

How difficult will it be to convert 3.5 material to 4E?

Mulsiphix
01-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately she really didn't answer the question for me. I'm still as confused about and hopeful for 3.X to 4E conversion. I must know if Ptolus will be updated!!! Damn you Sara Girard! Will you never stop disappointing me?! :mad:

rabkala
01-23-2008, 09:06 AM
But, she is really sexy in this video. ;)

I think that means: Fluff never needs an edition so do what you want in your home game, but don't expect any WoTC help with the crunchy bits.

Mulsiphix
01-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree. I think she was pretty much saying "if we aren't advertising a products future compatibility with 4E then you shouldn't count on it being 4E friendly, settings themselves aside". Meh now that I know Mike Mearls is the lead designer of 4E though I feel A LOT better about it. The man is my all time favorite, only eclipsed by Monte Cook himself :D

ffclubhero
01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
"Edition-proof"? "You can certainly convert on your own"? Sounds like their core audience is on their own for the great migration.

Farcaster
01-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Yeah, this video response wasn't helpful to me at all. From what they have said in the past however, I think it is a safe bet that you won't be able to easily convert any of the 3.5 material that came out before their 4e announcement.

ffclubhero
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Not to be negative, but does anyone remember the stampede to 3ed.? WOTC released a cute little pamphlet to help gamers. Then came 3.5. Wonder if 4.5ed. will be in the next 2 years? If they follow the pattern of game-convert-new version- upgrade new version that would make sense....:confused:

Mulsiphix
01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I for one hope that 4.5 doesn't come too soon (within 3 to 4 years) after 4E. The longer it takes for them to push out 4.5 the longer they will have been fixing bugs, loopholes, abusable mechanics, etc... Also the longer it takes the longer it will be before 5th Ed. I admit I prefer not to wait a couple of decades of the next edition but once every 7 to 10 years would be just fine with me.

rabkala
01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I, for one, welcome 4.5! As long as it is a better product and fixes any issues that may come up with 4e, it has to be good. Maybe, you should just wait for 4.5 which will be the superior upgrade. I suspect though, that 4e will need no revision or upgrades.

Digital Arcanist
01-24-2008, 08:00 PM
When you people learn that watching these videos will only lead to tears?

rabkala
01-24-2008, 08:04 PM
When you people learn that watching these videos will only lead to tears?
Don't hate the player, Don't hate the game!

Tears can be a good release of your pent up feelings.

Mulsiphix
01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Tears can be a good release of your pent up feelings. And a great way to lower your blood pressure ;). I hope there 4.5E. I like the idea that the game will keep evolving. Just look at the good that was done by evolving far enough that the creation OGL/D20 was possible and desirable. I just hope it doesn't evolve too quickly. I'm just glad I'm getting into pnp now when 4E is on the horizon. It saves me a lot of the heartbreak of having tons of 3.X content that probably won't ever see the light of day again on my game tables.