PDA

View Full Version : GURPS Autoduel

Mulsiphix
01-21-2008, 02:27 AM
Anybody played this or the original Car Wars? If so, have any comments about it? Maybe a recanting of a memorable game session?

MortonStromgal
01-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Yes and it was too long ago to remember. I just remember it was ok but no my cup of tea

Drohem
01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
We ran short 3e GURPS campaign using the Autoduel book. I created a motorcycle riding character. It was more of a Mad Max feel to it. He had leathers and a .357 Magnum.

Freejack
01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Heh, we just played Car Wars on Saturday, on the previous Wednesday, and I'm signed up to run a three arena tournament at Genghis Con next month.

Great stuff though. Nathan roared out towards me, we met in a head on which (after several shots prior) killed me. After which Wendy shot up Nathan who was killed. His car slowly rolled into the wall. Brian and Wendy dropped a bunch of flaming oil and spikes before Brian killed Wendy.

Good game. We played some tetris like board game (bloxit or something) and then Cosmic Encounters.

Carl

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Sounds a lot like Quarantine. I think I'll pick it up and give it a read. Is it basically just driving around in cars shooting at each other with guns or are the cars modified with lots of weapons like machine guns, rockets, and buzz saws?

Drohem
01-22-2008, 12:10 AM
It provides extra character generation rules. It also provides rules for guns and vehicle modifications.

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
What is the main premise of the game though? Is it like a wargame or? I know it was very popular but I'm trying to figure out what a similar product would be that it could be compared to so I have a "general" idea.

Drohem
01-22-2008, 01:47 AM
The main gist of the book is to emulate the Car Wars campaign. The campaign description is of Autoduel America. It describes the roads, the gangs, the arenas, the vehicles, etc.

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Perhaps some info on what Car Wars gameplay is like then?

gdmcbride
01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
When I was a young tyke (junior high and high school), I played the HELL out of Car Wars. We made designing cars into an art form.

Car Wars is a war game. It does not seek to make cars that are accurate to the real world (although sometimes it gets kind of close). It doesn't have a lot of plot (at least before Autoduel came out). America ... its a Mad Maxian waste land! Fight! That's pretty much the background for basic Car Wars. As they started to add more supplements, the plot became more and more intricate and there were leagues and the AADA and arenas. But still, my favorite Car Wars battles were the simple ones.

I still remember an early battle where me and my friend had spent hours designing super death cars. We started the battle charging right at each other. We were playing chicken. Neither of us flinched. Head on collision at a cumulative 135 MPH. Both cars go boom. Then we reset and tried it again.

Great game.

Gary

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 06:50 AM
I still remember an early battle where me and my friend had spent hours designing super death cars. We started the battle charging right at each other. We were playing chicken. Neither of us flinched. Head on collision at a cumulative 135 MPH. Both cars go boom. Then we reset and tried it again.LOL sounds like a lot of work just to smash your stuff up. Then again I'd spend days designing a mech just so I could walk out into the middle of a group, take heavy damage, and then take a few people out with me when my nuclear reactor blew. Its always awesome to see mechs running from a dying mech. Then there is the always fun "Death From Above" when your on the verge of exploding. Good times :p

tesral
01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Lead soldiers don't bleed.

Maelstrom
01-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I picked up Car Wars a ways back but was only able to get one session together. Most of what I did was designing my own vehicles and playtesting against myself.

You could probably relate it to Battletech in your background... vehicle based wargame, but Car Wars has much faster action and more emphasis on physics, collision, and handling (to be expected from racing cars driving down the road).

You could build anything from a motorcycle with a sidecar to a semi truck, and they had some rules for helicopters as well.

Usually, combats worked along a road, so vehicles went one direction or the other, with crazy bootlegger turns and such to face off again.

As far as RPG elements, the cities are fortresses and outlying areas are full of bike gangs and car-pirates. Despite the danger, Big Rigs still make shipping runs.... armed to the teeth and well organized, the Truckers helped each other out and worked together to keep the freight movement. They had heavily fortified truck stops where civilization didn't reach. Occasionally, of course, a bandit group would get the best of a Trucker and acquire some valuable cargo.

Very interesting post-apocolyptic world.

Freejack
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
And they'd send out security vehicles occasionally. These things were just armored battlewagons sent out to trick bandits into attacking them in which case they'd be decimated and the truckers would have an easier time of it for a bit.

Carl

Skunkape
01-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Played both of them and if you're looking for a beer and pretzels style night of entertainment, go with Car Wars. If you're looking for something with more meat on it, go with Autoduel or some other more complex rules system.

Car Wars is great for one offs where you're interested in vehicle vs vehicle, but the character creation is lacking. If you want any kind of character development, go with something more, like Autoduel although the GURPS system will work just as well.

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I was actually very interested in playing in a Quarantine setting with Car Wars or Autoduel. Are the rules more complex in Autoduel? Quarantine requires heavily armored cars, upgradeable of course over time, and the ability to interact with humans. Car wars is either exactly what I'm looking for or damn close.

Skunkape
01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Car Wars focuses more on the vehicles as far as the rules are concerned, or I should say, all versions do that except maybe the latest. I'm not sure if they've changed the rules as I don't own the latest version. You do have rules to deal with the individual, but they're pretty basic, because Car Wars focused on the cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc.

AutoDuel on the other hand, focused on the individual or Duelist first and then included vehicles. You end up with a better defined character with AutoDuel than Car Wars.

But they both have their appeal!:D

nijineko
11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=76&pictureid=491

'nuff said. ^^

cliff
02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
The problem with GURPS Autoduel is getting the players to leave the vehicle on occasion.

Skunkape
02-24-2009, 06:52 AM
<Picture removed>

'nuff said. ^^

That's why you use the Car Wars system for building vehicles, it's a whole lot simpler!:D

Oh and yes you're right, it's hard to get the players out of their cars!

Valdar
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Tangent: I have a friend who wants to beat Steve Jackson to death with his copy of Autoduel Champions. This was the Car Wars/Champions crossover that had three chapters, IIRC: Supers in Car Wars, Autoduel in Champions, and helicopters. Steve swore that helicopters weren't going to appear anywhere else, so my friend (who hates superheroes) bought the thing. Two years later Steve went back on his promise and put helicopters in Deluxe Car Wars...

Anyway, I'd say use Car Wars for the combat rules, if it still existed- looks like Car Wars 5th ed. went back to premade cars, with construction rules "forthcoming"... They've been "forthcoming" since 2002, so good luck =)

spotlight
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I've allways had a way to get the characters out of their cars. It's called "The Might Crowbar." Its been years since I owned a copy of Car Wars, although I still have Ogre and G.E.V.

cliff
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
We mean when GMing GURPS Autoduel, where there's supposed to be some role-playing involved. It's not uncommon for players to want to install a loudspeaker and interact with the rest of the world that way... but it's hard to blame them, I'd rather stay in MY tank TOO. heh.

InvestFDC
02-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow, Ogre and G.E.V., that brings back memories. I just pulled those out the other day when I was going through someold boxes. Good times.:D

I've allways had a way to get the characters out of their cars. It's called "The Might Crowbar." Its been years since I owned a copy of Car Wars, although I still have Ogre and G.E.V.

spotlight
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
yeah, I knew you meant in RPing form. Just limit the amount of ammo they have, or remind them that tanks don't have 'ficilities'. And air scrubbers don't do that!

I still have a 35 year old copy of Space Gamer which has an article on desighing Ogres from the chassis up. Still do it once in a while. Would love for a shot a a game.

tesral
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow, Ogre and G.E.V., that brings back memories. I just pulled those out the other day when I was going through someold boxes. Good times.:D

I'm still painting the minis. I need a few more tanks.

cliff
02-26-2009, 05:38 PM
yeah, I knew you meant in RPing form. Just limit the amount of ammo they have, or remind them that tanks don't have 'ficilities'. And air scrubbers don't do that!

heh. The munchkins that are likely to be playing in any given group would then just take an Odious Personal Habit for that. heh.

Skunkape
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
heh. The munchkins that are likely to be playing in any given group would then just take an Odious Personal Habit for that. heh.

They'd be unhappy that you can't use poo as a weapon!:lol:

cliff
02-28-2009, 02:34 AM
They'd be unhappy that you can't use poo as a weapon!:lol:

Oh, I'm sure you could figure out the stats for that... let's see. Definitely an improvised thrown weapon, so it would use the Throwing skill (DX/Average), with no actual damage... but it would definitely have a minor stun effect. Say 1d6-3 (minimum 1) rounds of stun unless a real threat presents itself... as their opponent stands their, sputtering, saying "did... you... just... fling... POO at ME?!?!?"

As my wife points out, the stun effect would have limited usability, after the first stun ran out, they would be less surprised in the future.

That works for me.

spotlight
02-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Sure! Go ahead and limit the stun effect. Just remember it probably has an enrage effect also.

nijineko
03-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Tangent: I have a friend who wants to beat Steve Jackson to death with his copy of Autoduel Champions. This was the Car Wars/Champions crossover that had three chapters, IIRC: Supers in Car Wars, Autoduel in Champions, and helicopters. Steve swore that helicopters weren't going to appear anywhere else, so my friend (who hates superheroes) bought the thing. Two years later Steve went back on his promise and put helicopters in Deluxe Car Wars...

Anyway, I'd say use Car Wars for the combat rules, if it still existed- looks like Car Wars 5th ed. went back to premade cars, with construction rules "forthcoming"... They've been "forthcoming" since 2002, so good luck =)

i'd recommend that he use a different book, that one is now a rarity and somewhat hard to find. speaking of which... can i have his if he doesn't want it now? ;D

Verminous Countenance
07-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Man, I LOVED Autoduel Champions! We spent hours and hours on the submarine designing cars and heroes!