PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms

Tony Misfeldt
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I am looking for both players and DMs for what will be a long term D&D campaign set in The Forgotten Realms. We will be playing with 2nd Edition Rules and we will be using most (though not quite all) of the optional rules listed in the books Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, and Spells & Magic. And before you ask, the answer is "Yes, we do have to play in 2nd Edition". This game will be very role playing and problem solving oriented (so be prepared to speak in character and to think outside the box) with a fair amount of combat mixed in to keep things interesting. All characters will be starting at around 3rd level, depending on class. We will also be using a rotating DM system to help prevent DM burnout and to give everyone a chance on both sides of the DM screen. This works by everyone having a character, including the DM. The DM's character is treated as an NPC henchman in regards to XP. When the DM tires of DMing, he switches with one of the players. The old DM's character becomes a PC and starts gaining XP as one, the new DM's character becomes an NPC and gains XP as a henchman. This is why I need both players AND DMs. If this game sounds like your cup of tea, either post here or send me a personal message and we can meet up to discuss it further.

Tony Misfeldt
01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
FAQ's

Q: I like playing 3.5. Does it HAVE to be in 2nd Edition?

A: Yes it does! Or, to be more precise, it'll be in Version 2.5. There are a couple of reasons for this. One, since I'll be the first person to DM, I'll need to play a system I'm familiar with. And since I don't own any 3.5 DMing materials I can't DM in 3.5. Second, it would be too big of a headache for us to switch back and forth between systems so we'll be sticking with just one (D&D 2.5). And finally, I'm just not as emamored with the 3.5 gaming system as everyone else.

Q: What if I like playing character classes that aren't available in 2nd Edition?

A: In anticipation of this problem, I've rewritten the Monk and Sorcerer classes into 2nd Edtion terms and made them available as playable character classes. The Barbarian class is also available, though not exactly as it's written in the 3.5 Players Handbook. Also there will be other PC classes available that don't exist in 3.5, such as the Shaman, Witchdoctor, Crusader, and Skald, just to name a few.

Q: You mentioned character level will begin "around 3rd level depending on class". How does this work?

A: All single classed rogue, warrior, and priest classes will start play at 3rd level, with base XP for their respective class. All single classed wizards and sorcerers will start play at 4th level, with base XP for their class. All multiclassed demihumans will start play at 2nd level in each of their respective classes, with base XP for each class.

Q: How much XP will be given for combat and how much for role playing?

A: While there will be a fair amount of combat in the adventures, I personally will be handing out less XP for combat than the DMG says to, but as much XP for role playing and problem solving as the DMG suggests. Thus depending on the circumstances, you could earn more XP from one over the other, but relying on one at the expense of the other will cost you in the long run. Other DMs can hand out XP by other systems if they so choose, but I would personally advise against it.

Q: What about Prestige Classes?

A: Sorry, no prestige classes. However, I do have practically all of the handbooks and you can be practically any character kit you want. You can even choose a race from The Complete Book Of Humanoids if you can give me a good reason for the character to become an adventurer.

Q: What if I want to DM an adventure in a world of my own design rather than The Forgotten Realms when it's my turn as DM?

A: As long as we maintain the same characters, there's a good story on how we got there, and there's a way for us to get back (perhaps that's the purpose of the adventure/s), then there's no problem.

Q: What if I want us to switch to 3.5 rules when it's my turn as DM?

A: Then you lose your DMing privledges. I don't want to come off as a jerk, because I'm not, but I've already stated that flip flopping back and forth between systems is a headache I'd rather not have. And at the risk of sounding childish MY HOUSE, MY RULES.

Q: Where do you live and when will the games be held?

A: I live in the Mount Pleasant area of Vancouver, about a 15 minute walk from the Main Street Sky Train station. I only give my full address to players who commit to playing, after I've met them and confirmed that they're not a psycho axe murderer or something. I'll be shooting for a weekly game on Sundays, but this may change from time to time due to changing work schedules. It may work out to be biweekly or only once a month.

Q: What kind of characters do you want in the campaign?

A: I DM Good VS Evil campaigns with the PCs in the role as the Good Guys. Therefore, you can be any class you want, and practically any race you want, but you must be of a good or at the very least neutral alignment.

Q: What stat generation system do you use?

A: Roll 4d6, reroll all 1s, drop the lowest die, and arrange to taste. Also, in addition to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, you will also be rolling a seventh stat. Comeliness. Comeliness (or COM) is your characters level of physical beauty. It is adjusted by high or low charisma, usually by as much as +/-3 (though with CHA scores above 18 or below 3 it could be adjusted by as much as +/-5). COM is also adjusted, either positively or negatively, by racial adjustments.

Q: Which of the Optional Rules from Skills & Powers, Combat & Tactics, and Spells & Magic are you using?

A: It might be quicker to list what I'm not using from those books. From Skills & Powers, the only rules I'm really not going to use is splitting the stats into subcategories. That's just an added complication that doesn't need to be there. I'm also not allowing players to customize thier characters racial abilities or class abilities in order to stockpile extra Character Points. Beyond that everything in the book is in use. Virtually everything in Combat & Tactics will be used. And the only rule from Spells & Magic that will be used are Magic Points. Essentially what that means is if your spellcaster casts too many spells in the course of a day, it will have a detrimental affect on him. He will become fatigued, exhausted, or even die from over casting.

Q: What about magic items?

A: To start play with? That will be on a case by case basis. You'll have to ask permission before you can start play with a character who already has magic items. You are certainly NOT allowed to use the magic item lists in the back of the DMG as a shopping list when determining your characters beginning equipment (attempts to do so are heavily frowned upon)!

Tony Misfeldt
01-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Any other questions about the campaign? Interested in playing? Post replies here and we'll talk.

Tony Misfeldt
01-08-2009, 09:03 PM
It's a whole new year and I'm still looking for players. Anyone the least bit interested, please get in touch with me. Post here on this thread or send me a personal message.

Etarnon
01-10-2009, 02:17 AM
If I lived in BC. Sadly, I live in Pennsylvania.

Otherwise, 2e is my favorite system.

Best of luck with it. I know what it's like to toss out the idea of a well thought out campaign, and no one responds.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Say hello to the gals at club orange, if it is even still around.

Tony Misfeldt
02-13-2009, 02:00 AM
If I lived in BC. Sadly, I live in Pennsylvania.

Otherwise, 2e is my favorite system.

Best of luck with it. I know what it's like to toss out the idea of a well thought out campaign, and no one responds.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Say hello to the gals at club orange, if it is even still around.

Sounds like you used to live in Vancouver. I don't go to The Orange very often but I'll be sure to pass on your well wishes. As for everyone else who who does live in the Lower Mainland, if you're interested in this campaign give me a call/text at 604-209-6015.