PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy In GURPS

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Last night I finally looked up the GURPS fantasy products and the bestiary. I was very upset to learn it had nothing to do with creating fantasy based settings. The bestiary was OLD as can be. Anybody know of fantasy products for GURPS? Something along the line of what GURPS Space is for fantasy. I'm not interested in fantasy settings published for GURPS like Conan.

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 12:58 AM
The new Fantasy book (4e) is more like GURPS Space but honestly I didn't find it that useful, might be that I just own similar books. However the old Fantasy (pre 4e) book is for the world of Yrth (its a good setting but its not there to help you create one)

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 02:15 AM
That book isn't actually too bad. If only there was a fantasy themed bestiary :mad:

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 02:19 AM
you mean this? http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/FantasyBestiary/

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Have you taken a look at that book? Compare that to the D&D monster manual or any other 3.X bestiary and that book is horrible. I don't even see how even half of the beasts mentioned could be considered fantasy. Just not my cup of tea :(

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 02:52 AM
Point taken, I would grab the AD&D Monsterous Manual then and use the descriptions to make your own builds.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Indeed :)

nijineko
01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
one thing gurps is good at is conversion. you can convert almost anything into gurps with not too much effort. =D i bet they had a hard time trying to come up with stuff that felt fantasy-ish without seeming like they were ripping off of others.... i think that part of the problem is that they didn't have a coherent theme to work with. since they have so many backgrounds to cover and all....

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't mind playing fantasy in GURPS since most of the D&D stuff I am interested in is purely based on setting. D&D is more combat oriented, generally speaking, than I believe GURPS would be (for me as a DM anyway). I'm really interested in playing fantasy with a point based system and not a class based one. I just wish I could find some solid conversion rules for D&D monsters. I don't need D&D to GURPS game system rules, just the monsters. If I find anything tangible I will be sure to post it. If I can't find anything then I'll be sure to post the bible i create to accomplish the task :rolleyes:

nijineko
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
that's not hard. you look at the STR tables in dnd and the weight tables in gurps. there's your STR conversion. the CON bonus to hp and the mechanic for calculating your hp in gurps is pretty simple and straight forward too. look at the bonuses to saves from stats, and the secondary characteristics and calculate that way. it's not that difficult to come up with a fair comparison. (as long as you are not using supers rules, that is....) just a bit time consuming.

or go look up Grimtooth's (http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/catalyst.htm) books, he has various conversion values in the back that might help you out. =D not to mention the traps.... >=D

MortonStromgal
01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
GURPS isn't my favorite magic system but it is a good one.

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 01:08 AM
They've put out several magic products for GURPS though. I would think high magic settings like D&D would have been covered in one or more of them :confused:

nijineko
01-28-2008, 07:04 AM
then go look at steve jackson's munchkin line. i suspect that he's deliberately trying to keep away from mimicking anything d&d-ish in gurps. just a suspicion.

tesral
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
then go look at steve jackson's munchkin line. i suspect that he's deliberately trying to keep away from mimicking anything d&d-ish in gurps. just a suspicion.

Munchkin is a card game, not an RPG. Its a fun card game, but a card game.

fmitchell
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Munchkin is a card game, not an RPG. Its a fun card game, but a card game.

Actually, there's also a Munchkin d20 series of books. From what I understand, though, it simply takes the spells/monsters/classes from Munchkin cards and transposes them to d20.

Drohem
01-28-2008, 01:23 PM
http://www.sjgames.com/munchkin/rpg/

tesral
01-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Actually, there's also a Munchkin d20 series of books. From what I understand, though, it simply takes the spells/monsters/classes from Munchkin cards and transposes them to d20.

Do I roll on the floor laughing, or do I weep? The agony the agony!

Anyone for a game of Hackmaster? :D

nijineko
02-02-2008, 01:53 PM
oh you poor thing. didn't know that there was a munchkin rpg.... i didn't almost laugh my head off at the [SU] powers of the awful indescribable tentaclely horror thing. really. truly. i think i actually almost fell out of my chair, actually. ^^

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 06:51 PM
The Munchkin RPG actually looks quite fun :o.

nijineko
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
now imagine using your munchkin card deck for a deck of many things in the munchkin rpg. =D the mind boggles.

Drohem
02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
A party TPK can amusing and fun when a Deck of Many Things is involved. ;)

nijineko
02-04-2008, 01:36 PM
my favorite thing is to use the divinations that give a weal/woe response and ask, 'will drawing one card be favorable?', 'will drawing two cards be favorable?' and so forth. that way i get an idea for how many cards to draw before handing it off to another member of the party. especially since it gets shuffled before every draw....

if one is high enough level, use the divinations that give more accurate responses, without actually bothering any planar entities, if you can manage it. despite being a minor artifact, there is nothing preventing divinations from working on the deck. ^^

Drohem
02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, I haven't encountered the 3.X version of the DoMT yet. All my experiences were with the 1st AD&D version. Good times!

nijineko
02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
well, a few changes. instead of death, it's a dread wraith. slightly more survivable. slightly more killable too. you can download the SRD for free, i think it's in there.

here's a link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#deckofManyThings) to the deck in the hypertext online SRD. super handy reference site. =D