PDA

View Full Version : A place to post stories?

underdarkshark
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and glad to be here.

I like to write short stories based on charictors i have played or played with and or npc's etc, anyway i like to write, is there a proper place here to share some of them? or can there be? :p I wouldn't just randomly post one.

reguards,

UDS

Farcaster
01-18-2008, 01:46 PM
There is the Articles/Blogs (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/../userpages) section, which would support this fairly well, I think. Take a look and see if you agree.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't know. I've been thinking about asking you to add a fan fiction section for a while now. Given the broad range of talented DM's and storytellers, it seems more appropriate than articles and blogs. Just my opinion though, if such a forum isn't created I'll end up using Articles/Blogs soon enough here anyway :o

tesral
01-20-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't know. I've been thinking about asking you to add a fan fiction section for a while now. Given the broad range of talented DM's and storytellers, it seems more appropriate than articles and blogs. Just my opinion though, if such a forum isn't created I'll end up using Articles/Blogs soon enough here anyway :o

The only part with posting a story on a public site is copyright issues. I do publish my stories. A few have to do with RPG characters, most don't. Stories are located here (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/startrek/stories.html).

Mulsiphix
01-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm not so much worried about people stealing my stories. I'm more interested in posting story hooks than full stories, or short stories for that matter.

Drohem
01-20-2008, 04:38 PM
There is the Articles/Blogs (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/../userpages) section, which would support this fairly well, I think. Take a look and see if you agree.

I posted a couple things to check out this part of the forum. I have trouble posting some things because of the 20,000 character restriction though.

Oh yeah, I'm a little bumed out that no one has posted any feedback. :(

Mulsiphix
01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah, I'm a little bumed out that no one has posted any feedback. :(The last few days I've been pretty busy. I actually have your section bookmarked and plan to go over everything. While I cannot promise feedback for sure within the next 48 hours, I can within the next 96 ;).

I posted a couple things to check out this part of the forum. I have trouble posting some things because of the 20,000 character restriction though.The Articles/Blogs section has a 20K character limit? That is going to be a huge problem for me with some of the projects I had in mind :(

ffclubhero
01-21-2008, 07:05 PM
You could get around the character restriction by posting a response to you own story, but it would be part two, part three, etc.

Copyright shouldn't be a problem as long as the work is 100% yours and you clearly state at the beginning of the work (usually next to the title, or directly after the title) that this is copyrighted work. Copyright is "understood" once a work is completed by the author, copyright law exists because there are fools who like to jack writers. I'm one too.... (a writer, not a fool:p)

Mulsiphix
01-21-2008, 11:57 PM
The problem with getting around the character limit that way is that people cannot add on to stories at a later time. They must post multiple times to "reserve" the space for possible future additions. I think in a great deal of cases the parts would be spread throughout a multi page thread. Hardly ideal :o

underdarkshark
01-23-2008, 12:05 PM
You could get around the character restriction by posting a response to you own story, but it would be part two, part three, etc.

Copyright shouldn't be a problem as long as the work is 100% yours and you clearly state at the beginning of the work (usually next to the title, or directly after the title) that this is copyrighted work. Copyright is "understood" once a work is completed by the author, copyright law exists because there are fools who like to jack writers. I'm one too.... (a writer, not a fool:p)

thats good to know i'll remember that before i do post anything, i can't wait to share the adventures of Gutz the psion goblin with ya'll. ok that idea is copyrighted now so don't steal it ok? :D

Mulsiphix
01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
OMG!! I just finished my first campaign. My character was amazing. Its name is Gutz and it is a goblin who dabbles heavily in psionics. I've already written a rough draft for the novel about him. Oh man he is sooo cool. Thank god I know somebody who was able to transfer the rights over to me. I feel bad for the fool who previously had the rights but I'm sure they'll get much better usage under me. THANK GOODNESS FOR BRIBES!!!

underdarkshark
01-24-2008, 08:56 AM
or not

rabkala
01-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Aren't the blogs a little off the beaten path?

I like writing occasionally. I have no delusions of grandeur though. I am just happy if it makes somebody else feel something.

Mulsiphix
01-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree that they are off the beaten path. Not everybody uses the menu's up above which is why we have so many people posting campaign recruitment stuff in the introductions forum. If they were linked to in a more visible area, forum or perhaps the website header, I think they would see a lot more usage.

nijineko
01-28-2008, 01:56 PM
there's a blog section?

(edit: whadd'ya'know! there is a blog section! ^^)

rabkala
01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
there's a blog section?

(edit: whadd'ya'know! there is a blog section! ^^)
Exactly what I said! A little off the beaten path.

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
It could even be added as another link in the toolbar at the top of the site. It would just be a normal link, not a menu by itself. At least that way people would be able to see it easier.

GBVenkman
01-29-2008, 02:16 AM

Yeah, this makes sense. I also think that a Game Resource section (Like member made templates/discussion that is updated where you can post races/classes/missions/gear)for each game would be cool, but that would take more user participation.

Mulsiphix
01-29-2008, 04:08 AM
I think if enough users started to submit enough content to warrant such a section, then one would be created. All the wargaming and terrain talk lately is why we got a new wargaming forum. If there is a need, new features will come ;)

TAROT
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Wow. Been here a month and never knew that existed.

nijineko
02-02-2008, 01:51 PM
deshou! wasn't expecting a blog. next thing you know we'll have the flashchat integrated with the webpage in a sidebar with everyone autologged in. now that would be interesting.

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 06:52 PM
While that would be cool I think it would cause a lot of problems in the end. Imagine the 4E flame post or Alignment discussion in live chat :eek:

nijineko
02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
well, maybe if the chat privilege was abused, the autologin feature could be turned off for a while for that person. or something.

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Spend just a moment in any populated IRC channel to discover just how insane and challenging it would be to moderate such a chat room. Without bots preprogrammed with trigger words and phrases,easily gotten around through spaces and various punctuation, the moderation would have to be manual. A full time job if taken seriously :eek:

Farcaster
02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
deshou! wasn't expecting a blog. next thing you know we'll have the flashchat integrated with the webpage in a sidebar with everyone autologged in. now that would be interesting.

There is a simple chatbox that is available as a plugin for vBulletin. It appears at the top of the forum list and is automatically viewable by anyone who logs in. I've considered it in the past, but there are definite performance hits to the server for using it. As the site grows, it may not be sustainable. Besides, I think I posed this to the user-body before and no one seemed terribly enthused.

rabkala
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
I think DA and Phish found out the horrors of chatting first hand while they were trying to encourage it. :(

Farcaster
02-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Horrors?

rabkala
02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Even the smaller chats get chaotic and hard to follow. I think trying to moderate it, a nightmare indeed.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Ever tried IRC Farcaster? If you haven't and your considering the chat plugin, just spend a few moments in any channel with 20+ people. Seriously, I believe you'll reconsider very quickly unless you planned to let the chat go unmoderated. Chat + Adults = R-Rating :eek:

nijineko
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
what channels are you hanging out in, mul? i've been in channels with ~150 people, and it's usually as quiet as the void.

chatbox is no biggie. don't worry about it then. =D

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm sure most channels we choose to hang out in are nice and orderly. That is why we choose to hang out there. Good bots and OP's make the world go round. Try EFNet and go into any large room that has #teen in the title. Prepare yourself :eek:

nijineko
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
bleh. the only channels i've hung out in so far are ones with rp or rpg in it.

Mulsiphix
02-07-2008, 05:11 AM
I won't say exactly why I'm in the #teen channels but it has to do with scripting ;). I consider them to be one of the worst places on the internet. Absolutely mind numbing :(

nijineko
02-07-2008, 08:43 AM
i don't want to know the ratio's of actual teens to... others. hopefully, some of them are cops. ^^

tesral
02-07-2008, 02:20 PM
i don't want to know the ratio's of actual teens to... others. hopefully, some of them are cops. ^^

Half are cops pretending to be teens looking for perverts and half are cops pretneding to be perverts.

nijineko
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
that looks like a mind-twisting situation that i will steer well clear of.

tesral
02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
that looks like a mind-twisting situation that i will steer well clear of.

Likje most situations "The Man" wants you afraid of, the situation is not what it is made out to be.

I wouldn't go near them for the simple reason it would drive an old fart like me right out of his mind. What little mind I have left.

nijineko
02-08-2008, 02:24 PM
the only teens i hang out with are the ones that are trying to trash me on the multiplayer starcraft network i had set up in the basement. in general, i find online chatrooms to be less than effective means of finding those of similar interests. just to name one example not offhand nor at random: penandpapergames is an excellent place to find like interested people. =D

Mulsiphix
02-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I have always found chatrooms to be bad places to find like minded people. Even worse the ones that you do meet are usually chat room freaks and just don't feel right in a one on one IM conversation. I prefer forums myself. Especially ones like these where I can get a feeling of where somebody is from based on how many miles they are from me. Good stuff :)

nijineko
02-09-2008, 05:19 AM
absolutely! i've found a much more pleasant experience here, than in many other places.