PDA

View Full Version : Exalted, Is It Any Good?

Mulsiphix
01-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Playing Exalted right now isn't really a priority but I have had my eye on it for a while. The extensive fighting rules really make it attractive but at the same I wonder if they might be overly complicated like D&D 3.X combat (a rule for every possible situation). Has anybody here played it? Do you know anybody who played it and they told you what they thought of it? Any info on this game would be very much appreciated.

Maelstrom
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Sorry... no response on Exalted here, but I do have to say I'm not sure you have the right impression about D&D 3.X combat.

Yes, you can complicate it if players are trying the fancy tricks, but D&D is only as complicated as the DM & players allow.

MortonStromgal
01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Playing Exalted right now isn't really a priority but I have had my eye on it for a while. The extensive fighting rules really make it attractive but at the same I wonder if they might be overly complicated like D&D 3.X combat (a rule for every possible situation). Has anybody here played it? Do you know anybody who played it and they told you what they thought of it? Any info on this game would be very much appreciated.

Well hmm its more complicated than any other White Wolf game but its different complicated than D&D. If your not using minis for D&D 3.X the d20 system is probably as simple if not simpler than Exalted at low levels, however Exalted doesn't get more complicated as you go D&D can as your buffs/debuffs etc start adding up. I know your buying up oWOD stuff think of it as the oWOD system with the added complications of stunts. Stunts give you +1, +2, or +3 dice to your test for doing something cool. So you backflip off the chair and throw one knife while your upside down in the air at the guard while kicking the guy by you in the face and then landing on your feat with and use the knife in your other hand to then stab him. I would say thats +3 dice... but its going to be much harder to pull off than. I stab the guy by me.

Exalted can suffer from the same problems as GURPS in character creation. So I recommend to new players that they look through the powers and pick one first then build the character around doing that power.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Maelstrom I linked you to a new thread I created for discussing D&D combat. Please keep the topic on Exalted :p.

MortonStromgal have you played it before? It looks amazing and the only real feedback I have is from RPG.net reviews which state the combat can be complicated with all the different sets of rules which are based around the type of encounter. I absolutely love that it is a fantasy setting that isn't based around Tolkien and I love the Exalted characters. Starting out strong enough to bring entire planets to their knees. Good stuff. I was really hoping to get some feedback on how much people liked it, maybe compare it to some other systems, and maybe even regale us with a tale or two from one of your more favorite Exalted sessions. I see you've already gotten started on what I was looking for. Got anymore info to add?

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I have played 2nd edition, I have not run it. I enjoyed it but many of the other players were overwhelmed by the character creation (they were all used to simpler White Wolf games like Vampire and Werewolf, Mage players would have no problems with it) I just stuck to doing one thing well rather than get lost in all the options. I don't know what to say about it really, I would rather play Exalted than D&D at level 9 and above but Exalted has no good low level option. You can create a mortal but thats like playing a mook in a superhero game (or a redshirt in star trek)

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Exalted is definitely on my "to learn" list. I'm extremely interested in the combat system. I've always wanted to play a game like this and it seems, from reviews, that White Wolf has done a pretty damn good job. I just can't wait until they release 3rd Edition. If it is anywhere near as changed as it was from 1st to 2nd edition, I'll be ecstatic.

Arakor
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I have played exalted quite a bit and actually run several games of it, one offline and one online.
One of the things that make exalted unique (but less so now that scion is out) is the stunting system. This allows the character, or the DM to describe in detail what they are doing, rather than just saying, "I make an attack". The trade off is bonus' to your dice rolls, the ability to improvise things into a scene that the GM has described, and just generally making the feel of it a little more cenematic.

I personally love exalted, so I would have to say I am a bit biased on things.

I will admit that it is different enough from any of the systems out there that the charms do take a bit to get used to, however its no different from a caster who has to know what all his spells do, range, time, etc for a DND game.

As far as being overwhelmed by strength, starting a player or yourself off as a heroic mortal is a good way to get a feel for the system without having to deal with charms, while still getting a lot of the benefits, like improved stats, stunting ability, etc. If you find that the Solars (the base characters for exalted) are simply too powerful, then the dragonblooded are a good trade off. It makes it easy for a group because dragonblooded work better together, and thier individual powers are not as obscene as a solar.

The last note, is that the game has plenty of suplement book to suit whatever your characters like in a game. Want beauracracy and goverment? choose dragonblooded or sidereals. Want raw bone crushing power? Choose lunars. Want evil or perhaps evil that is repenting? Choose abyssals. Want crazy destiney and fate? sidereals. Or if you want to just have the raw power and flexibility of being one of the most powerful beigns in creation, choose solars.

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I think your post captures the essence of what I find so absolutely captivating about Exalted. I've sent you a PM about your online game. Thank you very much for the extensive post ;)

Lexdragon
01-31-2008, 11:49 AM
I felt that though the learning process was a bit involved, once i had it down it was very fluid. The spell casting option is way cool as well.

nijineko
02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
i have read some of the exalted books. wanted to see what it offered. i wound up being thumbs-down on exalted. it left me with no interest in playing it at all. in fact, my reaction was pretty much, 'bleh. i think i'm going to go reread the amber stuff now. much more entertaining and intriguing.'

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
What about it made you go "bleh" nijineko? Need more info as to why you think it sucked.

TAROT
02-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Like the setting.

Too many dice.

Charm trees are more information than I want to memorize to run a game. Would convert to another system with a more consistent shorthand.

nijineko
02-02-2008, 07:39 AM
let's see. many of my reasons probably would not apply to your situation. however, here goes:

i did not like the artwork. the flavor text bothered me, partially for a reason i'll mention later. the other reason it bothered me, is that they spend so much time with it, you feel constrained by it. the players are going to expect exactly what they read in the books, mostly. i want more freedom than is implied by the content. i didn't like the layout and presentation of the rules. i don't like the setting. what's the difference between doing your math during character setup, and doing the math during play? same amount of time in the end. more acutally, as character setup is once, while all the dice rolling and tallying is every session. and for me the biggest issue is that i don't like the theology and cosmology.

=D do i need to go on?

tesral
02-02-2008, 11:34 AM
=D do i need to go on?

Is it safe to say you don't like Exalted?

nijineko
02-02-2008, 01:38 PM
it would be more accurate to say that i don't like the majority of white wolf system-based games. including exalted.

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I was gonna say nijineko, it just sounds like you don't like the Exalted setting. Now hearing your not a fan of White Wolf game systems (generally speaking of course), then I definitely think I wouldn't have the same problems. I am absolutely taken with the artwork, love the books, am dying to play in the setting, I enjoy how "constraining" it is, and I think the depth of White Wolf settings is unmatched by other game systems. It is this depth that makes White Wolf stand out in a genre where a users imagination is often put ahead of actually defining a setting for the user to imagine their characters within. White Wolf, I salute you :D

nijineko
02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
well, exalted specifically, i think that it loses out to amber. the setting just can't compare to the rich depth and infinite possibilities of the amber setting. the artwork is intriguing for the most part, the setting is well realized and has a complex history available if you wish to use it, but plenty of room to play where you don't have to use it either. you can scale it to be open-ended down to quite constraining with ease. there are no dice used in the game, making conflict resolution a simple process.

if you want to actually make your campaign tightly amber-ish, then reading the 10 books in the series is a must. otherwise, you can play entirely without it and still have a great game.