PDA

View Full Version : Western setting

Vulture
01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
is there a d20 setting that taks place in the old west?:confused:

Drohem
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM
is there a d20 setting that taks place in the old west?:confused:

Oh yes. I would recommed Sidewinder and Sidewinder: Recoiled.

http://www.greenronin.com/catalog/grr1408

Sidewinder was originally written when 3.0 D&D had just been released and there was no d20 Modern. It adapted the 3.0 d20 system for an old west setting.

Sidewinder: Recoiled is the revised version which is based off d20 Modern rules. d20 Modern is a much better fit for the old west genre. It is a well done and self-contained game. I highly recommend it.

There is also Link West, which uses the BESM system version of d20.

http://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=_1_319&products_id=33571&

There is also OGL Wild West by Mongoose, but I haven't read it.

http://www.rpgmall.com/product_info.php?products_id=35659&

There is also a d20 Deadlands version. I haven't read that either.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 04:01 AM
Deadlands isn't the old west though. It is an alternate time line set in the old west, but isn't really a western as I would consider one.

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I'll second sidewinder and I love the old deadlands but its old west with monsters and not d20. The savage worlds and gurps versions of deadlands are ok (not as good as the old deadlands IMO) but the d20 conversion i have not played.

GBVenkman
01-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering about the same thing.

I've been watching too many clint eastwood movies lately.

Drohem
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I just the Long Rider in the mail from Netflex today. I'm going to check it out in the next couple of days. I haven't see it before. I like the ideas of brother actors portraying brothers; it just lends an extra bit of credibility in my mind.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Two nights ago I watched 3:10 to Yuma and last night I watched the Wild Wild West (got a hankering for it with all the Steampunk talks lately) and Maverick. Good stuff :D

Drohem
01-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Was it the old 3:10 to Yuma or the new? I haven't seen the new and would like to hear any comments.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 11:20 PM
It was the new one. I thought the entire thing was awesome. It was very well done. When I returned it to Blockbuster and talked to the clerk about it he told me there was an older one and that the new one had a different ending. I didn't want to hear anymore details though. I plan to rent the old one to see the difference for myself. I highly recommend watching the new one.

nijineko
01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
you could always revamp "boot hill"... ^^

GBVenkman
01-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Was it the old 3:10 to Yuma or the new? I haven't seen the new and would like to hear any comments.

Yeah, if you like westerns at all, 3:10 to Yuma is a classic from our time (and they say they don't make 'em like they use to).

Christian Bale is pretty much great in any movie he does(was great in the recent Rescue Dawn), and Russel Crowe does a great job too. Tons of character depth in each and every role. Great gun fights and THE best stage coach chase ever (I'm trying to adapt one like it into Star Wars as a speeder chase).

I just watched No Country for Old Men yesterday, and while it takes place in the 1980's, it is in Texas, and I'd put it up there with 3:10 as the two best "Western" movies I've seen all year.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 01:34 PM
I just watched the classic Maverick with John Wayne last night. Going to be watching Wyatt Earp tonight. Very excited as I've never seen it :)

Vulture
01-20-2008, 10:22 AM
American Outlaws is a good wstern

Mulsiphix
01-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Wyatt Earp rocked soooo good. Dragonlance is on the agenda tonight but I've already picked up The Quick & The Dead for tomorrow. This western binge has been pretty awesome so far. So many classics I never got around to seeing. Thank you mighty Netflix, thank you :rolleyes:

Drohem
01-30-2008, 02:58 AM
I just saw The Long Riders from Netflix. I felt it was a really good movie. I really dug the idea that all the characters that were brothers were portrayed by brothers who were actors. :cool:

Jesse James- James Keach
Frank James- Stacy Keach
Cole Younger- David Carradine
Jim Younger- Keith Carradine
Bob Younger- Robert Carradine
Ed Miller- Dennis Quaid
Clell Miller- Randy Quaid
Charlie Ford- Christopher Guest
Bob Ford- Nicholas Guest

Vulture
05-23-2008, 09:43 AM
When did this become a discussion of western movies, i was just asking about western setting for the d20 system...

tesral
05-23-2008, 09:58 AM
When did this become a discussion of western movies, i was just asking about western setting for the d20 system...

Topic creap happens. I don't know of any offical books but a Western setting should be easy. All the trops are well understood as it the tech level. Whip up a cattle town full of bad men and shady ladies and send in the PCs to clean up the town.

If you need a splat book for ideas any game will do. The d20 stats are simple. GURPS Old West (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/OldWest/) if a source book is required.

Skunkape
05-23-2008, 11:01 AM
you could always revamp "boot hill"... ^^

That was a great set of rules for a western! Course, you could also just use the d20 Modern rules and just remove anything that dealt with a time frame/tech level beyond the 1800s.

Personally, I would go with a different system as I'm not really a big fan of level/class based systems. Deadlands is also a fairly good rules system, but yes, it's not classic old west.

But another interesting twist I heard about quite a long time ago was discussed on Dragon's Landing and they were talking about having fantasy type races, elves, dwarves, etc in an old west type setting. I've been working that angle along with things taken from Deadlands and coming up with my own setting, as time permits. I'll either use the Savage Lands or Basic Role-Playing rules for the system.

Vulture
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
But another interesting twist I heard about quite a long time ago was discussed on Dragon's Landing and they were talking about having fantasy type races, elves, dwarves, etc in an old west type setting. I've been working that angle along with things taken from Deadlands and coming up with my own setting, as time permits. I'll either use the Savage Lands or Basic Role-Playing rules for the system.

thats what im looking for

kipling
06-22-2008, 07:38 PM
D20 Past offers ammunition and some rules for a Western game--notably the Frontier Marshall prestige class, in the Shadow Stalkers setting. (For natives, I guess you'd use the shaman class earlier in the book.)

I think that Atlas Games produces a dwarves-et-cetera in the New World setting but I think it's set around 1600. Don't even recall the name; sorry.

EDIT: Northern Crown was the name.

Mead
06-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Deadlands isn't the old west though. It is an alternate time line set in the old west, but isn't really a western as I would consider one.

I threw out most of the published horror/monster elements and ran a straight-up western-style Deadlands campaign (with the original card-based rules), or so my players thought. I ended up sneaking in more and more creepy Twilight Zone moments, but the campaign got cancelled due to various Real Life Issues.