PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

TAROT
01-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi all!

Started back in 1980 with magenta box D&D and quickly moved on to AD&D or some unholy mish-mash of the two.

In high school, it was a little WFRP, Champions/HERO, Pendragon and Traveller, but mostly AD&D although I was finding the whole class/level thing annoying by then, but on the whole less annoying than the "eeevil campaign" complete with GMPC anti-paladin party leader.

Didn't do much gaming in university. (Had other, mostly liquid, distractions at the time.)

Since then, it's been on and off for the last 15 years. Some Earthdawn and Ars Magica. 7th Sea, Agone, HeroQuest, Ironclaw & Witchcraft/AFMBE. And lots of other stuff that was only read and never played.

I'd been avoiding White Wolf for many years (partly the books didn't appeal to me and partly due to association with creepy LARPers) but did eventually pick up Hunter & Demon (and Dark Ages: Inquisitor), and have subsequently ended up with most of the nWoD.

For whatever reason, I seem to end up with mostly odd-numbered editions of games: Ars Magica 1, 3 & 5; Pendragon 1, 3, & 5; Gurps 3; L5R 1, (2) & 3; D&D 1 & 3. Tried D&D3 when it came out, but still not a fan of classes & levels, found the skill points to be anemic, the feats to be unworthy of the name, and the increasing GM prep time required as adversaries increase in level intolerable. I'll probably end up buying D&D5 though. (What do you say for "Fool me thrice?")

So, right now I'm liking WoD, Mutants & Masterminds, (Classic) Unisystem among others, and would like to game more often.

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Welcome to the community! For finding players the Player Registry (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/memberlist.php) is an invaluable tool and for recruiting players as a DM the Campaign Invitations (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) forum is perfect. I wish you the best of luck in finding gaming bliss in the near future.

Any chance your a BattleTech fan? Maybe dabbed a little in GURPS? What do you think of the Old World Of Darkness?

rabkala
01-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi and well met! Feel free to join the discussions on the boards as there aren't too many creepy LARPers around, just a couple creepy battle tech guys. :p;)

TAROT
01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Any chance you're a BattleTech fan?

I played a little bit (3rd ed.), and have a copy of MechWarrior, but I'm really not all that wild about the giant robots.

Maybe dabbled a little in GURPS?

I tried it when 3rd ed. came out, but HERO clicked with me and GURPS didn't. It was largely the Magic, Psionics and Supers that put me off GURPS. I preferred the effects-based system as modified by GM common sense, rather than having separate powers for Lasers, Fire, Lightning & Frost.

I now prefer Mutants & Masterminds as my generic system of choice.

What do you think of the Old World Of Darkness?

I really didn't pay much attention to it. My exposure to "horror" when I was younger was mostly crappy teensploitation slasher flicks which bored me, so I had little interest in exploring the genre further. When I heard people talking about their games, it sounded more like vampire superheroes to me. I would be occasionally tempted to browse Mage in the store, but I already had Ars Magica and always put it back on the shelf.

Once I had started with Earthdawn (and to a lesser extent Legend of the Five Rings), I saw more potential in the horror genre and started picking up more. Seventh Seal, AFMBE, Obsidian, Witchcraft and a good chunk of Hunter: the Reckoning & Demon: the Fallen.

I'm still not completely sold on "playing the monsters" which is probably how I ended up with Hunter (ordinary people ganking their neighbours because their dog told them to) and Demon (which has themes of redemption).

Systemwise, I prefer the one roll of nWoD to the potential four to resolve a combat action in oWoD. I like the Exalted setting too, but I'd convert it to something else before running it.

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 04:17 PM
and Demon (which has themes of redemption)Judging from what you have stated I think the PC game Vampire: The Masquerade, its storyline, would be right up your ally. A crusader falls in battle, is taken to a church, and is turned to a vampire against his will. To survive he has to drink blood but the entire game is about his fight for personal redemption and doing everything he can to fight the beast that now roars within him. It is one of my all time favorite stories. A pity it wasn't in novel format.

tesral
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi and well met! Feel free to join the discussions on the boards as there aren't too many creepy LARPers around, just a couple creepy battle tech guys. :p;)

And creepy miniature wargamers.

Welcome to the forum.

Mulsiphix
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
If you want creepy then just start a thread talking about your love for painting miniatures. Posts related to that always creep me out here :o.

tesral
01-14-2008, 01:03 AM
If you want creepy then just start a thread talking about your love for painting miniatures. Posts related to that always creep me out here :o.

I hate it. I love the results. Since leaving milk or even Whiskey out around the un-painted minis has not resulted in a mini painting Brownie, I guess I better get the paint out and start brushing.

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Since leaving mike or even Whiskey out around the un-painted minis has not resulted in a mini painting Brownie, I guess I better get the paint out and start brushing.Case in point :rolleyes:

TAROT
01-15-2008, 02:53 AM
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say love, but I do have quite a bit of lead in the house.

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 04:59 AM
:eek: YOUR ONE OF THEM! I'm surrounded. All my unpainted minis don't stand a chance. BACK YOU FIENDS! BACK I SAY!!! :(

tesral
01-15-2008, 08:37 AM
:eek: YOUR ONE OF THEM! I'm surrounded. All my unpainted minis don't stand a chance. BACK YOU FIENDS! BACK I SAY!!! :(

Take the brush, it doesn't hurt, really, just a little paint from the bottle, the fumes are not harmful, just a few brushstrokes....

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Take the brush, it doesn't hurt, really, just a little paint from the bottle, the fumes are not harmful, just a few brushstrokes....STOP! STOP PLEASE! Your hurting me. My painting virgin eyes!!! GET OUT OF MY HEAD :eek: