PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quotes

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 12:46 AM
This community houses many well educated, well traveled, well read, and generally experienced individuals. I have not found such stimulating conversation in quite some time. This being the case I am interested in what some of your favorite quotes are. I read this one in a Vampire The Masquerade supplement and I have thought of it many times since.

"The destiny of mankind is not decided by material computation. When great causes are on the move in the world... we learn that we are spirits, not animals, and that something is going on in space and time, and beyond space and time, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -- Winston Churchill

Riftwalker
01-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Here's some off the top of my head. The exact wording may not be correct:

"I don't know what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

"Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based lifeforms to monitor their ongoing decay." --Thundercleese

The Devil's Dictionary is also full of gems, like:
"Happiness (noun): An agreeable sensation arising from contemplating the misery of another."

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I like all of those. I've heard the Einstein quote before but the other two were brand new. They put a smile on my face :p

"If there is evil in this world, it lurks within the hearts of men" -- Edward D. Morrison

Digital Arcanist
01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
"The dance of death is a celebration of life to those who know the steps."

"All evolution in thought and conduct must at first appear as heresy and misconduct."

"During a carnival men put on masks over their masks."

"Those who are awake all live in the same world. Those who are asleep live in their own worlds."

Just a sprinkling of my favorite sayings and quotes. The White Wolf books are an astounding collection of quotes and sayings.

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Just a sprinkling of my favorite sayings and quotes. The White Wolf books are an astounding collection of quotes and sayings.Indeed :D

"Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic." -- Thomas Szasz

"A principle is the expression of perfection, and as imperfect beings like us cannot practise perfection, we devise every moment limits of its compromise in practice." -- Mohandas Gandhi

"All compromise is based on give and take, but there can be no give and take on fundamentals. Any compromise on mere fundamentals is a surrender. For it is all give and no take." -- Mohandas Gandhi

"Confession of errors is like a broom which sweeps away the dirt and leaves the surface brighter and clearer. I feel stronger for confession." -- Mohandas Gandhi

TAROT
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Skunkape
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Here are two quotes that I've liked for quite some time.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
So is a lot!
Albert Einstein

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall
Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I found these inside My Life With Master:

"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak; and that it is doing Godís service when it is violating all His laws." -- Jhon Adams to Thomas Jefferson

"In every man who is healthy and natural there is a germinating force as in a grain of wheat. And so natural life is germination. What the germinating force is in the grain of wheat, love is in us." -- Vincent van Gogh to his sister Wil

rabkala
01-13-2008, 12:48 AM
Well if nobody has noticed before, my favorite quote :

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them."
Henry David Thoreau

I am also a fan of most early American literature.

"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
Thomas Paine

Unfortunately or not, most of my quoting around the game table tends to be Star Wars and Monty Python.

Mulsiphix
01-13-2008, 01:06 AM
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -- Dante Alighieri

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose." -- Robert Byrne

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him." -- David Brinkley

tesral
01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
The Tao of Phoenix (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/garden/tao.html) He that shouts first, or turns to other forms of violence, admits defeat in the battle of ideas.

Messages from the Journey of Life (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/garden/messages.html) "Free will does not mean that you establish the curriculum; only that you can elect what you want to take at a given time." --A Course in Miracles.

Gadsten's Grumbles (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/Politicks/Gadsden.html) "I fear for my country when I consider that God is just." --Thomas Jefferson

Anaesthesia
01-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Most of my quotes tend to be from Monty Python, Groucho and others..

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place it leads."-Erica Jong

"It's nice to be remembered, but it's much cheaper to be forgotten."-Chinese Fortune

Mulsiphix
01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary." -- Cecil Beaton

"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance." -- Aristotle

Digital Arcanist
01-13-2008, 08:59 PM
"Would you like fries with that?" - McDonalds

boulet
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.

Sigmund Freud

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 01:00 AM
"Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress." -- Bruce Barton

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." -- Winston Churchill

ffclubhero
01-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Blood is Freedom's Stain (Iron Maiden, 2 Minutes To Midnight)

Skunkape
01-15-2008, 08:04 AM
"Hail to the King, baby." - Bruce Campbell (Ash).

"This chick is toast!" - Bill Murray (Venkman).

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Much like Churchill, Francis Bacon has said many things that I enjoy quoting often.

"Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased by tales, so is the other." -- Francis Bacon

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." -- Francis Bacon

aarathi
02-14-2008, 12:33 AM
My favorite quote is "Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds."
-Shakespeare

nijineko
02-14-2008, 11:03 AM
i have to admit that these caught my attention:

"No matter where you go, there you are."
--Buckaroo Bonzai

Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in.
--Hub (Second Hand Lions)

Does the Walker choose the path, or does the Path choose the walker?
--The Abhorsen Book of the Dead

God does not look at how far along the path you are, or if you've fallen down. He only looks at which way you are pointing, and how hard you are trying to get there....
--nijineko

=D

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:02 PM
"It's good to be the king." Mel Brooks.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:03 PM
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!" Venkman.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:21 PM
"All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the corps!" Sgt. Apone.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:22 PM
"You know Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them ****ing each other over for a goddamn percentage!" Ripley

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:24 PM
"Game over man... Game over!" Pvt. Hudson.

Ok, I'll cool it on the Aliens quotes, I could go on indefinitely, LOL.

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Thank goodness somebody revived this thread. I've missed reading all these quality quotes :o

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"A man with no enemies has achieved nothing" -- Unknown :confused:

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 01:36 PM
"All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the corps!" Sgt. Apone.One of my all time favorite quotes from a movie. Truly inspiring :cool:

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:36 PM
"What is best in life?" Mongol general.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." - Conan

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!" Conan

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:41 PM
One of my all time favorite quotes from a movie. Truly inspiring :cool:

yeah, Sgt. Apone rocks. He's one of my favorite sergeants in the movies.

My all time favorite would have to be Sgt. Maj. Mulcahy from Glory.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:43 PM
"Let him grow up some more." Sgt. Maj. Mulcahy.

tesral
02-14-2008, 02:12 PM
The purpose of argument is progress, not victory.

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 03:50 PM
"We all dream; we do not understand our dreams, yet we act as if nothing strange goes on in our sleep minds, strange at least by comparison with the logical, purposeful doings of our minds when we are awake." -- Erich Fromm

rabkala
02-16-2008, 10:54 AM
It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.
Churchill

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 06:04 AM
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right." -- Issac Asimov

Drohem
02-18-2008, 01:14 PM
"You should not drink and bake!" -Kaminsky (Arnie from Raw Deal).

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:17 PM
""You all laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same." -- John Davis

nijineko
02-19-2008, 06:00 AM
"behold...

...i see...

...a tree."

--nijineko

Drohem
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
"Let off some steam, Bennett." - Matrix (Arnie in Commando)

Mulsiphix
02-19-2008, 06:59 PM
"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts." -- Einstein

nijineko
02-20-2008, 07:13 AM
To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not. --Akhenaton

Mulsiphix
02-20-2008, 09:00 AM
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -- Anatole France

nijineko
02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
saw this in someone's sig over on the wotc forums... got a chuckle out of it, thought i'd share:

Three Systems for Steve Jackson under the sky,
Seven for White Wolf in their halls of stone,
Nine for the alternative publishers doomed to die,
One for TSR on his dark throne
In the Land of Wizards of the Coast where the money lie.
One System to rule them all, One System to find them,
One System to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Wizards of the Coast where the money lie.

Skunkape
02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I also like this one quite a bit!

"I am god here!" - Jobe Smith [The Lawnmower Man]

Drohem
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
"Stick around."- Dutch (Arnie in Predator)

Mulsiphix
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
"The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says: It's a girl." -- Shirley Chrisholm

Drohem
02-21-2008, 01:50 AM
"I do not want to touch his ass. I want to make him talk!" - Captain Ivan Danko (Arnie in Red Heat)

Drohem
02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
"My name's Gunnery Sergeant Highway and I've drunk more beer and banged more quiff and pissed more blood and stomped more ass that all of you numbnuts put together." -Gunnery Sergeant Highway (Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge)

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 02:47 AM
i do not think it is wise to share quotes except with personal intimates.

I knew a woman that collected quotes in a quote book. She was a wonderful person. Everyone of them she memorized and kept in a special quote journal.

I hope she never posted them on a Use-Net group.

Drohem
02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
"I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!" - Matrix (Arnie in Commando)

Thayan
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Some of my fav quotes

"Dreams are private Myths and Myths are public Dreams." - Joseph Campbell

"As flys are to wanton boys, we are to the gods." From King Lear by Shakespere

And finally

"The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault." Harry Dresden

boulet
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
"Jesus c'est du fromage" Salvador Dali

Thayan
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I have several from the Big Labowsky but they aren't exactly PG rated...:)

Drohem
02-22-2008, 10:32 PM
"The Dude abides."

the_tigerlily
02-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Not terribly lofty or refined, but it's the first thing that popped into my head.

"...'cause the players tried to take the field, The Marching Band refused to yield..." Don McLean - American Pie

"The purpose of life is not to arrive at death in a perfectly preserved body, but rather to slide in head first, perfectly used up, yelling 'Yahoo! What a ride!'" - I don't know

tella.star
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
mine is,

The journey in between what you are and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place.
Barbara De Angelis

tesral
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Enguage in senseless joy and random acts of kindness.

boulet
04-18-2008, 07:07 AM
He who go to bed with an itchy butt will wake up with stinky fingers.

cplmac
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
In the catagory of "can they be that stupid?"

"Do you work here?"

Asked by countless number of customers, of a retail store worker that is wearing a name badge that states he or she is an employee of that store and is stocking a shelf with merchandise.

"Here's your sign." Jeff Foxworthy

Riftwalker
04-18-2008, 10:35 AM
In the catagory of "can they be that stupid?"

"Do you work here?"

Asked by countless number of customers, of a retail store worker that is wearing a name badge that states he or she is an employee of that store and is stocking a shelf with merchandise.

And in the category of being sassy:

"No." -- The answer given in response to the above question by employees wearing name badges that state that he or she is an employee of that store.

cplmac
04-18-2008, 10:40 AM
And in the category of being sassy:

"No." -- The answer given in response to the above question by employees wearing name badges that state that he or she is an employee of that store.

I would love to give that as a reply, but I would not want to get fired, as that would be my misfortune.

Sascha
04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
"Her lips were saying 'no,' but her eyes were saying 'read my lips.'"
- Niles Crane, Frasier