PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Jay
01-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi- I'm Jay, and a new member to the forum. I started out with D&D 1st ed. plus Traveller and Battletech from before they had to call them "classic" (yup, I'm ancient). Have played and enjoyed most every genre available. Until just recently, I was used to playing once or twice a week with dedicated groups in campaigns measured in years. Have just recently moved to Plymouth, Ma. and am looking to find a new group.

Farcaster
01-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Speak for yourself, I started with 1st edition and I am by no means "ancient." I'm but a young pup, really :D

boulet
01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Welcome Jay !

I know someone on the board who's going to be happy when he reads you're a Battletech player :)

Jay
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Ancient is so relative of a term...guess I should have assumed the administrator would have a touch of elf to their lifespan :-)

Jay
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I play 3025 era mechs and almost feel ashamed by the quanity of metal I own :-)

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the community! For finding players the Player Registry (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/memberlist.php) is an invaluable tool and for recruiting players as a DM the Campaign Invitations (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) forum is perfect. BattleTech eh? I'm a bit of fan myself. I own every FASA product ever released under the name, including all editions of said products, and am only a few obscure items away from a complete FASA collection. If you ever feel the need to play a game online (voice, text chat, dice roller, map; not to be confused with abomination programs like MegaMek) please send a PM my way ;)

Jay
01-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the invite! I'll be looking into the registry; with any luck i"ll find a group local to me.

tesral
01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Hello Jay, good luck in your search. I seem to be the ancient one starting with 0 edition in 1976.

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "ancient" is a good thing?

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Tesral it looks like there is somebody slightly more ancient. spotlight states his history here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17628&postcount=32).

tesral
01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Tesral it looks like there is somebody slightly more ancient. spotlight states his history here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17628&postcount=32).

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that had to kick dinosaurs off the trail on the way to gaming.

Mulsiphix
01-13-2008, 05:07 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one that had to kick dinosaurs off the trail on the way to gaming.:eek: LOL! :p

Jay
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
LOL! But at least there was a trail!

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 09:09 PM
LOL! But at least there was a trail!Indeed :D. Created by spotlight and his group no doubt :p

tesral
01-16-2008, 03:40 AM
LOL! But at least there was a trail!

After I finished blazing it there was. :D

Ah the days of playing all weekend and three times a week as well.

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Ah the days of playing all weekend and three times a week as well.Your an animal! :p

Skunkape
01-16-2008, 08:26 AM

That was only because the plants grew back a few months after I had already passed that way!;)

tesral
01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Your an animal! :p

I was young.

Mulsiphix
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I was young.You haven't changed at all my friend. Your still the wildest among the PnPG community :cool:

Skunkape
01-18-2008, 07:10 AM

When I was really into my excessive playing time, which got my father really pissed at me after I had been doing it for about 6 months or so, which made me stop. I would get up around 11 or 12 noon, get cleaned up, attend my college classes, at 5 pm I'd go to work which I would finish at 9:00 pm, then by 9:30 I would be at the game and we would play till around 7 am the following morning. I'd be home and in bed by about 8 am and would repeat that schedule all week long.

On the weekends, I usually worked 8 hours on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. The rest of my weekend would be spent catching up on sleep or homework. Needless to say, my father and I were fighting everyday toward the end of that 6 months. My only regret during that time was the fact that my father and I fought. Well and the lack of sleep during the week!:D

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 07:30 AM
I used to be like that with video games. Although their main problem was with me always using the TV. I finally saved up enough to buy my own TV and played in my bedroom. As long as my grades weren't slipping and I was working, my parents could care less. Good times :rolleyes:

Jay
01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
It's been refreshing to hear from all the other "seasoned" players on this thread :-) For the longest time I've been gaming with individuals who were most assuredly younger than a few of my dice (remember the ones you had to color in the numbers yourself and over time rounded out from use ?) It's always nice to know I'm not alone!

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Even better your not even a minority. The young'ins like myself are the minority here :D

rabkala
01-18-2008, 11:23 PM
It's been refreshing to hear from all the other "seasoned" players on this thread :-) For the longest time I've been gaming with individuals who were most assuredly younger than a few of my dice (remember the ones you had to color in the numbers yourself and over time rounded out from use ?) It's always nice to know I'm not alone!
I still have one of those old d20s. I too have players younger than my dice. It often is weird being friends with people who are as young as some of my children.:o

Welcome to the community.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I very much look forward to playing with my children when they're old enough to enjoy such things. When I start playing with kids their own age though it will be official that I'm ancient :o

tesral
01-19-2008, 11:28 PM
(remember the ones you had to color in the numbers yourself and over time rounded out from use ?) It's always nice to know I'm not alone!

Too well and not fondly. It is nice to find people of the same vintage.

I have to admit that I did did play video games a back in the day as well. Pong was quite popular.

Mulsiphix
01-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Pong was sweet but you haven't lived until you've played Pong Kombat or Pong 3-D :cool:

tesral
01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Pong was sweet but you haven't lived until you've played Pong Kombat or Pong 3-D :cool:

Pong: The Matrix Returns was kewl as well.

Skunkape
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I still have one of those old d20s. I too have players younger than my dice. It often is weird being friends with people who are as young as some of my children.:o

Welcome to the community.

You have seen my dice in the show your dice thread? Look toward the upper right side of the photo, you'll see some of those same dice up there! Yes, they are my original old dice! Believe it or not, I've even got some more of those somewhere, that didn't make it into the picture!:D

tesral
01-30-2008, 02:09 PM
My friday GM is eight years younger than my son.

Mulsiphix
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
A possibly good example of age isn't necessarily a limiting factor. Is he a capable GM in your opinion tesral? Do you enjoy his work?

Jay
01-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi-
I too have had players and GM's years younger than my own kids. The worst part is when they don't get a movie or cultural reference joke. Some things have to be experienced, not explained.

tesral
02-01-2008, 01:02 AM
A possibly good example of age isn't necessarily a limiting factor. Is he a capable GM in your opinion tesral? Do you enjoy his work?

If he wasn't good, I wouldn't be playing with him.