PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread



Pages : [1] 2

Riftwalker
01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
The game will start sometime in the next few days. In the meantime, here's a link to the teaser video. Clicking this link should open up the movie in another tab/window. (Let me know if it does not!)

Teaser Video:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/teaser.html

Riftwalker
01-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Introductory Video:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/intro.html

You've arrived in Ebernath, the closest city to your hometown, Brier Patch. The journey was uneventful and took four days, but though you didn't hustle, you didn't dally either.

Ambient Music: http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/ebernath.html

Ebernath is one of the Seven Cities founded by Druids of the Panthic Order in Anderland. Originally a barren landscape not unlike that of Brier Patch, the Druids transformed it into a lush area ripe with vegetation.

The city itself is laid out in a circular fashion. In the center of Ebernath is a park from which the major streets intersect and extend outward like the spokes of a wheel. The city is generally clean and well-groomed, tall trees and grasses interspersed among the pathways, roads, and buildings. The air is generally clean, containing a myriad of smells: the soft smell of baking bread, the feint metallic odor of molten iron and smoke from a nearby blacksmith, and the hint of sea-breeze upon the air, though it is faint and mixes in with the other smells.

You see all manner of folks walking by. Most are human, though some are clearly not. Many are dressed in outfits that look exotic and out of place. You recognize the features of some from your time spent buried in the books in the library back home. A seemingly well-to-do night elf walks by, dressed in deep purple formal robes heavily embroidered at the edges in what appears to be some sort of writing, though at this distance you cannot discern what the writing says. Two other night elves--clearly subordinates by their dress and behavior--follow him. In the other direction, you see a small group of halflings closing down their shop for the evening, closing and locking the storefront of their wagon. One pats the other on the back and says something, there's a pause, and then they both throw their heads back in laughter. There also seem to be quite a few sailors walking around.

You now stand at the center of the city, holding the following note in your hand that you received in the Brier Patch library:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/notice.jpeg

It is two days before Midsummer, though it is late in the day. The sun will set in less than an hour.

Do you: find your way to the address on the note? Decide that it is late and find someplace to sleep for the evening? Or do you have other plans?

DM Note: I could not find the Death's Call spell. Can you point me to the sourcebook where it resides? Also, be sure to choose your spell selection for the day.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-20-2008, 02:35 AM
The blue haired boy thinks about what would be the best way to go about things. He has plenty of money so there was no need to try and trick anyone out of it other than the thrill of doing so. What he really needed to do was find out how to sabotage the other people who came for the job. So, he needed some way to find them. He quickly casts prestidigitation and uses it to flavor a marble that he then pops into his mouth and enjoys sucking on while he thinks. The idea of going to the address to insure that he could find it when needed and schedule accordingly when the time came seemed the best course of action. He might even meet up with another person who was out for the job. That would give him an opening to attract the others and insure the downfall of all of them over the next two days. It was not much time, but it was what he had to work with. Knowing better than to walk up to his future employer's home smelling of the road he uses some of the magical energy from prestidigitation to clean himself up. While the night elf strikes his interest and he knows it might be another candidate for the job he also knows that it is unlikely that it would take well to some one following it and he did not need to make that kind of impression this soon. The first place to start to find his way to the address would be to look for street signs and that is exactly what he does.


((OOC: Death's call is from complete mage. Page number 101 at the bottom. It is another necromancy spell. Spells for the day are fumble (x2), trip (x2), light, prestidigitation, social invisibility (x3), necrotic cyst. He used prestidigitation in the post so it is no longer available, but will last for the next hour. How well lit is the city? Will, he be able to see at all when night falls? I figure that is something he could figure out without too much trouble and could plan accordingly.))

Riftwalker
01-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Ebernath is home to about 30,000 people (predominantly Lowlander humans) and so isn't so large that you couldn't travel between any two points in the city relatively quickly. A reasonable pace should get you between any two places in the city in less than an hour and a half.

Due to the constant influx of visitors to the city (it is a major trade center for this part of the world) there are street signs for all the major streets. The area seems to be relatively safe--at least on the major streets, which are well-lit via small luminous orbs that function effectively as immobile Everburning torches, though slightly more pleasing to look at. The street signs are not difficult to find, and locating Panthic Way is easy as it is one of the main streets through Ebernath that crosses the center park.

The signpost at the city's center you reason to effectively have the address "0 Panthic Way" indicating that Semndon's address is not too far away.

DM Note: (Ok, Death's Call is fine.)

Fuzzy alchemist
01-20-2008, 04:08 PM
((OOC: I assume that since he is at the center that the roads extend both directions and there is either negative numbers or different name going one direction since I did not notice a magnetic direction component to the address. If I am wrong and there are two feasible paths to the address I guess we decided which one he takes at random.))

Looking at the street signs he begins walking through the appropriate street keeping with the flow of traffic as would be sensible since the path of least resistance is best for the time being. He keeps sucking on his flavored marble making sure to keep it toward the front of his mouth and away from his teeth so as to avoid breaking it or swallowing it. His tongue moves over the glassy orb of low quality obsidian insuring that its taste had a chance to hit all the taste buds. Its nutritional value was nonexistent, but it did much to keep him happy. He keeps and eye out to make sure that he does not pass up the house and can keep track of how many people seem to be dressed in a manner fitting to learned people like himself as they were the ones likely to be applying for the position he was. A though also come across him that he might need to keep an eye out for rats or other small animals that he could use to demonstrate his abilities on. The cyst might kill its victim when shown and that might disqualify him for the position, but an animal that no one cared for would be suitable. The number of sailors around indicated ships that would love magical help getting rid of rats. That would be something he would have to look into for tomorrow. Tonight he was going to find the address and depending on his feelings afterward either lodging or information that might help him prepare for the interview that was coming up.

Riftwalker
01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Panthic Way ends at the center of the park in the center of the city, so you have no trouble following the road. After only a few minutes of walking, you arrive at 101 Panthic Way.

Before you stands a small tower, four floors in height, each floor slightly smaller than the previous. All floors above the ground floor are round, however the ground floor is rectangular in shape and is significantly larger than the floors above ground. The tower is made with a combination of stone and wood and is simultaneously elegant and unassuming. There is a small pathway (perhaps 20 feet) to the door with two large maples at each side that render the front yard fairly shaded.

Above the door is a wooden engraving of the same stylized 'S' that appears at the bottom of the note. Underneath the 'S' is the following:

DE WHEDAUS VUR VEDITOA CONFNA FRONEEL

You instantly recognize the language to be Draconic, and you translate it as: "From darkness and cold comes everything."

The tower is dark except for illumination from the room at the very top.

Though you realize you may not know another candidate apprentice if you saw one, no one in particular along the walk seems to arise your suspicion.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Having found the location rather quickly and no one who aroused his sense for candidates he decided the best course of action would be to find a place that would have plenty of people to chat up for information on the person he was going to be working with and possibly information on the other candidates. While knocking and asking would likely provide information coming uninvited to someone's house was rude and he would likely be busy with his own preparations for the interviews. No, the best option was to chat up others about him and the candidates. He wished he had prepared soothsaying and brought the components with him, but it did not seem likely to help him while walking and he was not sure how late he would get into town. It helped to get people to talk to him and gave him a friendly ear to whisper in so that others would trust him. He would just have to do this the old fashioned way.

((OOC: If he happened to see a place with an open admission policy where people would gather he heads there otherwise he looks for someone to direct him to such a place. At which point we can role play through the questioning or simply make a gather information check for the night of work. Or some combination there of. I assume based on the amount of time it took that there would still be people on the streets who could be questioned about a place to go.))

Riftwalker
01-22-2008, 01:06 PM
DM Note: I'm totally fine roleplaying interactions to the extent that you wish to and am also ok with glossing over some of the more mundane things like this. I'm trying not to force any particular action on you; rather I'm trying to let you approach the world in a "sandbox" kind of way, doing what you please with your time/resources.

If you want to play the evening's work as a Gather Information check, roll the check for the scenario below. (I assume you'd rather make your character's rolls, and I'll make the rolls for the rest of the universe.)

(End DM Note)

Two blocks further down Panthic Way and two streets over (to the left), you come upon an establishment named Happy Harvester. As you approach, the noise grows into a cacophony of talking, groups of people cheering, and rattling. You realize that the Happy Harvester is part tavern, part gambling establishment, and the rattling is actually one of the games based on a spinning wheel. Virtually everyone inside is human, and you surmise that most everyone here is an actual resident of Ebernath (rather than a visitor), of the working class, and that this must be a favorite after-work haunt of many of them.

You largely ignore the details of the games, focusing on patrons at the bar or at players returning from gaming tables. You spend 3 hours and 2 sp on a few mugs of ale while chatting up a few people at the bar, asking about Semndon, his past, his call for apprentices, any other candidate apprentices that may be applying, information about them and their abilities, and so on.

DM Note: Roll a Gather Information check, unless you'd prefer to roleplay it all out.

Details:Time: 1d4 + 1 = 3 hours
Drinks: 4 cp * 5 = 2 sp

Fuzzy alchemist
01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
OOC: Because this is not a stressful situation-no threats or distractions other than the noise of the other people talking- and the information I am looking for should not be hard to obtain I would like to take ten giving me a total of 17. Just in case you were not going to allow this I rolled and got a total of 13. I figured it was a better use of our time to simply use gather information when I am chatting up a whole lot of people instead of just a few. It would take a while to role play out several hours of talking to people. Sorry there are no actions on his part in this post. until I know what he learns I do not know what he would do.

Riftwalker
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
DM Note: No sweat. For some reason it never occurred to me that taking 10 was an option. My apologies. I'll use the 17 result.

Over the course of the few hours you engage several people regarding Semndon. While some clearly know more than others, you're able to determine the following information:
Semndon has lived in Ebernath for the past several years.
He served in the Griffin Company, but has since retired.
Many people mentioned that he's a member of the Panthic Order (which you already knew).
He has grown more and more reclusive over the past few years.
One fellow mentioned seeing a young dwarf enter Semndon's tower two days ago. Another saw a young dwarf wearing blue robes leave Semndon's tower and head towards the center of Ebernath. You assume that they're talking about the same dwarf, but you're not 100% sure. (You haven't seen many dwarves in general while walking around the city and the ones that you have seen were not wearing robes, so it seems likely.)
A few people had mentioned that they'd heard that Alenair Luchen, daughter of the prince of Stormhaven, was applying to be Semndon's apprentice. Her father, Baris Luchen, is rumored to have bribed Semndon to accept Alenair over any other apprentices, but no one has been able to confirm such a thing, nor would anyone publicly make that accusation. A husband and wife couple seemed to think that if she were going to be staying anywhere, it would be at Ruby Debonaire, one of the ritzier inns in Ebernath located in the south-western part of town.
A man in white robes was also seen in this part of the city yesterday, though it is unconfirmed whether or not he entered Semndon's tower. He looked slightly out of place--taller than average and with strikingly golden-hued shoulder-length hair. Someone reported seeing him enter the Spells and Slumber, an inn in the north-eastern area of the town. Spells and Slumber is apparently an inn catering specifically to wizards.
Two members of the Panthic Order were also seen escorting a cloaked figure into Semndon's tower around dusk three evenings before.
Several people heard a low-rumbling boom emanate from Semndon's tower during the day about a week ago.People generally seemed taken aback at first while talking with you due to your eye and hair color, and weren't surprised when you mentioned that you were a mage. However, the more you talked to any specific person, the more they were able to overcome their apprehension due to your amiability and charm.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Many ideas went through his head. He wanted to assassinate the person who might have bribed her way into the position, but it was almost a guaranteed that she would have her own guards and a hotel of the quality that they seemed to think she would be in would have attendants capable of resisting the magics he had prepared to get past such people. It would be foolish to try anything cloak and dagger with her. He would just have to make sure that misfortune befell her at the time of their interviews. Plus, even with a potential bribe on the table it seemed unlikely that if she was not at least mostly worthy of the training she would not be taken. So, it was unlikely she would be defenseless and if he proved vastly superior he could still get the position without putting himself in danger. He was not overly worried about the dwarf as it was unlikely it was quite as skilled as him and there was no evidence that he had skills uncommon to the rest of its kind. This lowered his priority rating to be worthy of investigation only if there was extra time. The man in white was definitely of interest and since he needed lodging anyway taking up residence in the same inn would be quite convenient. It was getting to be late and it was likely he would have to check in somewhere soon if he wanted to be assured of getting a room. So, after making sure to look over the games to see which ones had the highest pay outs he left to go to the Spells and Slumber. He would keep and eye out for the others that he had an idea of the appearance of, now that he knew what he was looking for.

Riftwalker
01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Most casinos, you reason, are going to only feature games that give the house an advantage, even if it's only a slight one. The games you see at the Happy Harvester lead you to confirm your generalization. Not only do they all give the house an advantage, but they also all use an element of random chance (cards, dice, a spinning wheel) rather than anything based on player's skill. The wagers for the games range from 1 cp to 5 gp.

DM Note: Unless you're interested in doing some gambling in the casino, I'll forgo descriptions for the individual games. If you are, let me know and we can get into that.

Based on the directions you received during the Sense Motive process, you're able to find the Spell and Slumber without any problem. It is now 10:00 PM. You come to a building made primarily of wood with a painted sign that reads "Spell and Slumber" beside an image of what appears to be a wizard that has fallen asleep at his desk atop an open book.

As you walk inside, the blue-eyed woman at the desk tells you about the Spell and Slumber: The Spell and Slumber is an inn catering specifically to wizards. It emphasizes quiet, allowing wizards to study in peace free from noisy distractions. Each room and the common-area has a permanent silence effect on it. Meals are included in the price of 4.5 gp per day. She goes on: "It's a bit more expensive than a normal inn, but our clientèle appreciate their privacy, peace, and quiet. Are you interested in booking a room?"

Fuzzy alchemist
01-23-2008, 09:00 PM
((OOC: I was considering finding a game with a high pay out and using the cheat spell and possibly some other magical trickery to get one big win and quickly leave with my winnings. Like putting everything on a single number color combination in roulette and magically rigging the wheel for one spin so that I won and get paid 24 times my bet. Or if there was a game that I could naturally slant my advantage in I could do that as well. Like I used to count cards for 21 when playing. I would make sure to lose every once in a while, but always bet big on what was likely to be a winning hand and small or not at all on losing hands. But the prizes are not big enough to risk getting caught for even if they are not already protected against such things. The fact that they know he is a mage would likely make them concerned about such things if they saw him do it. Also, I try my best to word his speech in a manner that a intelligent smooth talker would, but I do not have a charisma score nearly as high as he does and might not come off as smooth.))

He smiles and says, "Yes. I will be needing a room for two days at least if I like the deal I get here. If you do not mind I would like to know when the meals are served and what the upcoming ones will be before I make my decision." His tone was polite and cheerful and his body posture remained neutral. He pulled out his bag of marbles which he was also using to hold his money and fished out 9 gold pieces. This was a measured move to insure that it was known that he could pay for information, but would not have to come out and bribe her directly. It also showed that while he was curious he was not handing over his money quite yet and she might be able to screw up the booking if she managed to anger the client. He continued, "I was also going to ask for information on another guest, but if you feel that that would be an invasion of their privacy I would of course refrain. I would not want you to jeopardize yourself unnecessarily." He left his statements open to interpretation so that there was no threat obviously implied, but also a wide open area for her mind to worry and wonder. No mater how she took it he had given himself plenty of room to wiggle out of it before she got too awfully suspicious.

Riftwalker
01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
DM Note: Takuzei thinks he could pull off some trickery at the casino, though its effectiveness would depend on how-well put-together the plan was. He obviously couldn't waltz in there barking verbal components and making somatic gestures for spells and expect to pull off the subtlety required to get away with it, charisma or not. He also wonders to what extent people have tried schemes like that before and what safeguards are in place to prevent that from happening... As a DM I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but it probably will require some effort, time, and scheming to get away with it.

The slightly plump woman politely answers your question: "Yes, of course, dear. Meals are served at sunrise and sunset in the rooms. When you book your stay you receive two of these tokens for each day of your stay." She holds up a wooden card with Spell and Slumber lightly engraved and painted on one side. "Outside of each room is a slot. If you place a meal-card in the slot then a meal will be left at your door in exchange for the card the next time meals are served. We find that this system fits our guests' needs, as it ensures they are not unduly disturbed. Most of our guests are mages from all over the world, having come to study with the Panthic Order just down the street. Anyway, I digress... evening meals are usually wonderful!" Her eyes twinkle a bit. "Let's see... tonight we had beefsteak, potatoes and carrots, cabbage, some bread, and some of our lovely spiced tea we import from the Dreaming Isles. It's too bad you've arriving when you are--I'm afraid you've missed it for today. The morning meal also features the tea, usually along with fruit and pastries."

In response to your inquiry about information on other guests, she frowns a bit. "Who were you interested in, dear?" Before you can answer she leans forward across the table, her voice hushed. "Is it those demon-spawned tieflings? I know the Panthic Order caters to mages from all over, but I just don't trust tieflings..." Her eyes widen a bit, conveying a seriousness and gaging your response.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Takuzei flashes a smile and says, "Well, they are not the ones I was looking for, but I do understand your mistrust in them. If I come across any suspicious behavior by them I would of course report it to you all so that you might deal with it however you saw fit, but I would greatly helped in my attempts to assist you in this matter if you could tell me about the group you speak of. Their actions and locations would be the most helpful information." He did his best to seem calm and level headed about the situation and to avoid either agreeing that they were not to be trusted or taking up their defense. He attempted to word it so that it could be taken as an attempt to allay the concerns of a worried attendant or as an attempt to insure that if they were up to anything mischievous that they would be caught. His natural charm would assist in making sure that it would be taken in the most favorable way instead of the least. Information had always been his greatest asset and if these people were willing to give it up easily he was happy to have it.

Riftwalker
01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
"Oh they're staying here at the inn! Two of them--twin brothers I think. I've left them alone, and so far they haven't tried anything, but I'm keeping my eye on them. I just don't trust them. Why -- are you looking for them? Did they do something?"

Fuzzy alchemist
01-24-2008, 08:51 PM
He suppresses a laugh and says, "Sorry. I did not make myself clear. I meant room locations. And I was simply offering my assistance to keep an eye on them. I do not currently know of any misdeeds on their part. But now that I know who I am looking for I will be glad to make note of anything I see and possibly embed myself into their conversations so that I can learn more." He kept his tone hushed so that it was not easily overheard, but also not quite hushed enough to draw the attention that whispering would.

Riftwalker
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
She pauses, thinking. "Hmm. I suppose that couldn't hurt. How about I show you which rooms are theirs while I show you to yours. That is, if you're still interested in booking a room?"

Fuzzy alchemist
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
He smiled and said, "Oh, of course. This should pay for the two nights. If things do not go as planned I will pay for more while I make my preparations to move on." He sets down the gold pieces and puts away his bag of money and marbles. He wait till after this concern was out of the way before he tried to bring the conversation back to his concerns. He was not even completely sure the person he was looking for was here. He would keep an eye out for the man in white though.

Riftwalker
01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
The plump woman takes the gold pieces and puts them into a pouch under the counter. She then counts three of the wooden "meal cards" and turns to walk out from behind the counter to show you your room when she stops. "Oh, I almost forgot!" She reaches down behind the counter and produces a medium-sized book, vial of ink, and pen. "I need you to sign the guest book, Mr., um? I don't believe I caught your name..."

Fuzzy alchemist
01-25-2008, 05:39 PM
((OOC: medium size for a book or a book in the medium size category? I figure it is medium for a book, but just want to make sure. Also, with pen I assume we are talking the gnomish equivalent of the fountain pen. Or are we refering to a quill? The post assumes the former, but can be edited to be suited to the latter.))

He smiles and says, "Takuzei". He picked up the pen with his left hand, lightly dipping it in the ink and filling the bladder inside. He then penned the name down with light deliberate strokes giving everything an angular look instead of the more fluid strokes of most script. The ink would be come heavy around curves where it paused for a moment as he changed directions. Even the curves looked more like boxes than circles. He even managed to avoid the thinning and widening the the script that normally came with using such pens as he never made curves but instead quick stable turns that had a momentary stop. It had come from originally doing his writing on walls where it was hard to carve curves. He quickly set the pen back at the spot and position it had been when he had taken it up and waited for whatever was next.

Riftwalker
01-26-2008, 12:37 AM
DM Note: "Medium sized" for the book just meant it wasn't overly large (like a tome) or small (like a handbook). The pen was a quill pen. (It doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned.)

"Terrific, Takuzei. Nice to meet you. I'm Vera, one of the proprietors of this inn. Let me show you to your room." She steps out from behind the counter and motions to the common area (see the floor plan below). It looks cozy and comfortable, with arrangements of sofas, chairs, tables that look like comfortable spots to read or hold a small conversation between a few people. The decor is not overly posh, but it's clearly well-maintained and not of lower-quality. Plants and assorted knickknacks decorate the room, and one in particular catches your eye: a miniature ship resting on a table. Near the center of the room is a large four-sided fireplace that looks like it would keep the room comfortable during the colder months.
"This is our common area. You'll notice that now you can hear me." She takes a step into the room, turns around, and looks back at you. Her eyebrows raise and her lips mouth the words "and now you cannot" slowly and clearly enough for you to read her lips without any trouble. She steps back towards you.
"We have some enchantments in place around the inn to help keep the place quiet so as to not disturb our guests unnecessarily. The common room is surrounded by such a screen, as are the walls of all the guests' rooms upstairs, as you'll see momentarily."
She leads you upstairs (via the staircase nearest the entrance.) At the top of the stairs, she lowers her voice (which you think is amusing since she just explained how the rooms were sound-proof.) "These two rooms are the tieflings'" she whispers, pointing at both simultaneously with her index and middle finger. She then turns left and right until she arrives at your room. She inserts a key into the keyhole and pushes the door open.
"We've found that a two-door system is best when it comes to the privacy of our guests. The door I just opened into this small area is outside the sound enchantment screen of the room. You leave your meal cards in this slot here." She shows you the small card-shaped slot where a meal card can be placed. "Then, then our cook, Sann, will leave meals here on this small tray during meal times and take the card. Now if the second door is opened, he will politely reach threw it (and the enchantment) to knock on the opened door to alert you to the fact that your food has arrived. If your door is closed, he won't do anything, and you'll just have to remember to check at meal times. That way, you're not disturbed should you wish not to be." She inserts the key into the second door and pushes it open, holding it open for you so you can enter the room.
The room is decorated similarly to the common area downstairs. In the far corner of the room is a fireplace without a bottom. You correctly assume that it is the same fireplace as the one downstairs. There is a mechanism to close the fireplace (to prevent its heat and light from entering the room) and another lever next to it. Vera notices you looking at it. "That controls whether the heat/cold from the fireplace heats or cools the floor in the room. Pushing it to the left vents air from the fireplace underneath the floorboards, and pushing it to the left closes the vent. Since it's fairly warm outside now, we have cool air coming into the system from below ground to help keep the inn comfortably cool."
She hands you the key. "Alright, there you are! Have a terrific evening! I'll be downstairs for another hour or so balancing the books if you need anything." You hear her steps until she reaches the inner door, and nothing after she passes through the invisible wall of silence.

First floor:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/spell-slumber-first-floor.gif

Second floor:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/spell-slumber-second-floor.gif

Fuzzy alchemist
01-26-2008, 01:49 AM
He sets his sacks down next to the bed considering whether it would be better to sleep now and start his day good and early, or to keep to the night. He decided that since it was easier to conduct business during the day he would work on their schedule. Knowing he might not wake up in time to do so in the morning he places his meal card in the appropriate slot now. He quickly disrobed and got into his bed. Feeling the fabrics of the higher quality inns was nice after spending so long living in a cave and then camping in the wild while he traveled. He focused on the questions of the day hoping that his mind would create answers while he slept. One thing he was definitely going to miss about the cave was the natural hot water spring that he bathed in. It not only kept him smelling better than the average person, but was quite relaxing.

Riftwalker
01-26-2008, 02:18 AM
DM Note: It's just a little past 10:00 PM now. The morning meal should arrive in about 8 hours, and you can prepare spells for an hour and eat at the same time, being ready for the day with all spells at 7:00 AM.

You fall asleep fairly quickly, the events of the day running through your mind. Just before you slip completely into slumber, your mother cyst lurches inside of you, reminding you of its presence and briefly disrupting your descent into unconsciousness.

You wake up to a light knocking on your opened inner door from one you assume to be Sann the cook. He bids you good morning and leaves a platter on the table just outside the inner door. On it you find a generous bunch of grapes, two pastries, and a cup of tea. The tea gives off an herbal and spicy complex aroma that you have never experienced before.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-26-2008, 02:58 AM
He gives Sann a nod and once he leaves gets up to get his food, pulling his spellbook out of his bag. He brings the food to the desk sipping the tea as he walks. He breathes in the fumes making sure to enjoy the scent. He eats the food as he works on clearing it of all other thoughts. Not only did this help him ready his mind for the spells, but it also allowed him to enjoy the food more as it was the only stimulus he was getting. Because of his plans for the day he knew what kind of spells he was going to prepare. He wiped his mind clean of the used magical energies and the spells that were not going to carry over to his new list of prepared spells. He too another sip of his tea before he began preparing the energies. He continued eating as he completed each spell so as to avoid distracting himself. By the time he was finish he only had about half a cup of tea left. He took up his bags and and dressed. Then set the tray down where he picked it up. He finished the tea and set it down as well. Then he went out making sure to walk past the Tieflings' rooms and checked to see if there was any evidence that they were out yet. He would also look around for the man in white when he got the chance.

((spells for the day Acid splash (6), spirit worm, deaths call (2), necrotic cyst))

Riftwalker
01-26-2008, 07:22 PM
As you walk past the tieflings' rooms you see nothing to indicate that they are either there or not. Both doors are closed and you can hear nothing (though you wouldn't be able to anyway you remind yourself, due to the silence barriers.) You walk down the northeast set of stairs to walk through the common area on your way out the door. Upon reaching the bottom of the staircase, you glance into the common area to see it unoccupied save for someone sitting on a couch (at N9) facing the fireplace, though you can only see the back of the person's head. Their hair color is striking golden/platinum color you have never seen before. You hear a page turn from that direction and conclude that they must be reading something.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Remembering that the man in white's hair was supposed to be of a golden color but not wanting to interrupt him without need Takuzei looked for Vera. He wanted to allay some of her concerns and see if she could give him information on the man in the common room. Since he had already formed a report with her it seemed he was more likely to get information out of her.

Riftwalker
01-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Instead of Vera, an older man sits at the desk near the entrance. Once you pass the invisible barrier between the common area and the lobby, he hears your footsteps and looks up at you smiling. "Good morning!" he greets you. "I trust you slept well. Takuzei, I take it? Vera mentioned we had a late arrival last night. I haven't seen your face around here and so I can only conclude that you are our newest guest. I'm Babbage, Vera's husband."

Fuzzy alchemist
01-26-2008, 09:22 PM
((OOC: a wizard is never late. He arrives precisely when he means to. :) Sorry, just had to say it. Oh, also on a completely unrelated note. You had previously mentioned me rolling my own skills, but I think you should be in charge of things like sense motive because it give away the fact that their might be something suspicious if you call for them from me. I would avoid having my character act on such information, but still it kind of spoils things for me if I know when I might be being lied to.))

He nods and says, "Good morning. Yes, I am the late arrival. But your wife did a lovely job of getting me set up with a room. You are quite fortunate to have someone who deals so well with customers and puts off such a wonderful aura with you." Flattery was always handy when dealing with people. He continued, "I am sorry to bother you but what do you know of the man in the common room? I think we might be going out for the same job and I would love a chance to speak with the others so that I can see judge the competition." He kept a polite smile on his face as he asked and made sure to tone it so that it seemed nothing more than a moderate interest.

Riftwalker
01-26-2008, 10:20 PM
DM Note: LOL. By "late" I meant arriving at a late hour, not tardy. :) Regarding rolling on things, we can do that. I'll also roll passive spot, listen, search checks, etc. Also - what provides your +3 to Bluff on your character sheet?

"Oh thanks," Babbage says and smiles. You almost detect a blush as he averts his gaze. "She's something, she sure is."
Babbage looks around the corner and into the common area. "That's Auril. He's been here at the Spell and Slumber for a couple of weeks now. From Kingsmarch--said he came to Ebernath to study as a wizard, since there's not a lot of arcane magic where he comes from in the west, there's no one to teach him out there. I don't think he's employed or studying with anyone in particular yet, so he may be going after whatever job you are, but I wouldn't really know. He seems nice enough--very polite, though quiet. Most of our guests keep to themselves, and we don't try to pry."
He scratches his head. "I'm actually hoping he either leaves or returns to his room shortly..." He leans forward. "His people and Valhedar have long been at war with each other...if Auril realizes that we have two tieflings also staying at the inn, then we might lose a paying customer or--worse--have a fight on our hands. So far, I don't think they've run into each other, but with him in the common area, there's a chance--well... let's just say I'd feel more comfortable if he weren't over there. Here in Ebernath, people from all over visit and most can keep themselves under control in situations like this, but I'd still hate it if something were to happen."

Fuzzy alchemist
01-26-2008, 10:44 PM
((OOC: It was something I failed to edit from when I switched from having a viper familiar. I have fixed it now and will also fix the gold as of this post. Sorry about that.))

Takuzei nods and says, "Well, I would offer my help if a fight did breakout, but I am afraid today I would do more harm than good. Most days my magics would not cause any long term damage, but today I had plans that required more aggressive spells. All, I can really offer is to talk to him and hope that he will travel with me through the city getting him out and away from the possible confrontation, but it would also risk me being a bother to one of your guests." He was sincere in his offer to attempt to get Auril out and about, though it was in part for more selfish reasons. He wanted to talk to him and see what information they could share. A person bribing their potential mentor would be a threat to both and if this person was enough of a concern to take up a fight against people based solely on race, it was likely truer threats would evoke the same reaction. Even if he was not going for the same job he might be willing to join in the hope of gaining a shot at it.

Riftwalker
01-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Babbage sits back in his chair. "Oh it wouldn't bother me at all if you talked with him. He's in the common area (not his room) after all. I'll have Sann--he's our cook--send you up something extra with your next meal."

Fuzzy alchemist
01-26-2008, 11:14 PM
He gave a small bow and walked toward the common room. He took as seat on the couch as well making sure to not sit uncomfortably near to the man. He looked over at the book to see if he recognize the tittle. He also looked over the man to get a better impression of him. He was not going to say anything just yet because while asking "How much does a polar bear weigh?" was enough to break the ice not everyone would respond well to it. If he could stick to something that was relatively on topic he was much more likely to be received well. He would find some way to strike up a conversation even if he had to resort to pick up lines.

Riftwalker
01-26-2008, 11:35 PM
"Auril" is dressed in white robe trimmed with blue, the cuts and folds of which are noticeably different from the current style in Ebernath. His face is angular with prominent cheekbones, and his blue eyes are surprisingly deep. Propped against the armrest of the sofa is a simple wooden quarterstaff.

He appears to be reading from a spellbook, though the glyphs appear unfamiliar to you. He notices you but ignores you for several seconds while he reaches the end of a paragraph. Then he closes the book with his left hand and extends his right to you.

"Good day, I'm Auril."

His accent betrays the distance he's traveled.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "Good day. I am Takuzei." returning his greeting and taking the mans hand. It occurred to him for a moment that this would be a perfect opportunity to infect him with a necrotic cyst making him a more viable target for his spells in the future. He then continued, "I was informed that you have been around for quite a while. Presumably looking to be formally trained. I have ventured here for similar reasons." This was a decent start and stopped him from having to resort to more irritating ways of doing it.

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 12:18 AM
As you grasp Auril's hand, you feel your cyst quiver violently inside you. Once you let go of Auril's hand it continues to shake, though at a reduced rate.

"I am--how you say--pleasured to meet you. You are correct in your information. I am looking for magic education in Ebernath and have been here for two weeks already. Where are you seeking magic education? I had an interview with a famous mage Semndon two days ago but he is interviewing several mages and announcing results tomorrow. If I am not selected I may try to find job and take lessons from the Panthic Order when I can or find another mentor. How about you?"

Auril seems intelligent despite some small grammatical issues with the Anderlar language.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 12:45 AM
((OOC; I would like to make a spellcraft check to see if I can recognize what spell he cast, if any. I am deferring to you so that if I do not figure something out I will not know if it was due to a bad roll or because there was nothing to see.))

He forced a smile despite the cyst unsettling him and said, "I am going to have an interview with the same person." He laughed a little and said, "So, how did your interview go? I mean, what were your general feelings about it? I would not expect you to give away any information that might give me the upper hand when I go, but I would love hearing how the other candidates are performing. Heck, if you do not mind sharing I would be interested in hearing the details of what you did." He tried to push the fact that this man's touch had unsettled his cyst to the back of his mind but something had to be wrong. Unless this man was spewing healing energies there was no reason it should have been unsettled like that.

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Based on your Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft skills, your best guess as to what Auril was doing when you showed up was preparing his spells for the day, not casting anything.

Auril responds: "I thought it went alright. He asked me about my background and goals, about what sort of spells I have experience with--just some background stuff. He told me about his current research goals and some of the stuff he's working on, to see if there was anything of particular interest to me. He quizzed me a bit on magic and had me demonstrate a couple spells to ensure I actually had some talents in magic. Semndon seems like he would be good mentor. He knows much about magic and takes a bit of a different approach with it than what I'm used to. It would be eye-opening to work with him.
I do not know about any other possible apprentices--I have not met any of them. He said he would have decided and posted who he chose to be his apprentice on his door during Midsummer."

DM Note: At this point, I'm planning on playing the presence of Takuzei's Necrotic Cyst as something that has a "mind of its own" and something that Takuzei doesn't fully understand at this point. If you'd prefer to play it as something he fully understands, controls, and simply uses as a tool, we can do that, too, though I thought this may a fun way to play it as well.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 03:06 PM
((OOC: I am fine with playing it as having a mind of its own and being something he does not fully understand. I still think it would unnerve him to have it react with violent motion to something. I would also assume that he would develop an understanding of its reactions over time based simply on trial and error. His assumption that healing energies would make the cyst react poorly could simply be based on the fact that it is connected to the undead who also react poorly to those energies. His understanding might extend further than that, but I figure at the very least he knows all the effects of the spells it currently grants him and therefore its connection to the undead. Also his belief that there was no other reason evident might speak to how little he knows.))

He nods not really sure what to say in response. His current plan seemed best. He had plenty of research to support him and more spells than most other wizards he knew. His age would also give him an advantage as being capable of such feats at his age would speak of greater talents. He decided the best place to go since he would likely be asked different questions was to simply find out more about Auril and see if he could enlist his help in quickly capturing a rat so that he could sleep and prepare his spells again in time to get an interview. To that end his said, "So, what kind of spells do you favor and what are your plans for today?" It was not the most subtle way to go about it, but it would get them moving in the right direction.

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
"I have learned almost all my magic from a book that was my great-grandfather's. No one else in my family has been interested in magic, and all the magic from my homeland is not the kind one learns from books. My great-grandfather's book focuses on magics to aid others on battlefields and other defensive spells. So, I suppose these are the spells I favor but I am also open to other types as well, however my experience with these is limited and that's one of the reasons I made the journey to Ebernath.

I do not have much on my agenda today. I am awaiting the decision on Semndon's apprenticeship before I apply elsewhere."

As Auril speaks you notice a man in crimson robes embroidered with gold and black descending the north-eastern staircase. His build is slight, and he wears his black hair tied behind him in a ponytail. From atop his head, two small horns protrude from his skull just below his hairline. He carries a rectangular case under his left arm, and pays you no attention as he walks towards the front of the inn, presumably to leave.

You have one round before he will be within Auril's view should you care to do anything to affect the situation such as distract him.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
((I figure this is all I could say within 6 seconds and speaking is a free action. Retreiving an item is a move action and I guess I am going to waste my other action.))

Takuzei smiles and says, "Well, at the very least I could offer allow you to look over my spellbook and see if there is anything there that would be of interest to you." While he speaks he pulls out his spell book. It was a plain book covered in white fur from the sheep that they used for everything as its cover was hide. The pages were stained parchment but did not compromise any of the writing inside. It was flimsy like a trade paperback, but it worked. He hoped by keeping his nose buried in a book his attention would be drawn away from the man coming down.

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
DM Note: Your Bluff (22) beats Auril's Sense Motive (15).

"That is very kind of you." He takes the book and thumbs through it for several seconds while the tiefling exits the inn. "What sort of magic do you study, anyway?" he asks, holding the book open to the Spirit Worm spell but looking at you, not having read it.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM
((I am assuming that while they do not have schools of magic, using aspects instead, that that does not necessarily mean that they do not have the words to describe particular styles of magic. So, when I use a word that would normally be attributed to a school it is likely I am just using it as a descriptor. Like, necromancy is the assortment of spells that deals with the dead. Oddly not healing, but that is a completely different conversation and as it does not much matter in this setting should not be problematic. Also, I am figuring that while one might not be able to cast a particular spell it does not mean that it is not part of their on going research. So, while he does not currently know how to animate the dead he could have worked on the spell some.))

He thinks for a moment trying to decide how to spin it to sound better, "I study necromancy and curses. I ply the animating energies of the universe to weaken my opponents or empower the dead to seek vengeance upon those who harmed them. I prefer not to kill those who work against me, instead using magics to insure they learn their lessons. This is also why I pioneered a new way of cursing people. So that they remain physically unharmed, but suffer for their misdeeds. They teach others by their presence and it makes the world a better place." He knew that most considered his crafts evil, but they were justified and for the greater good. He was completely shocked that people could somehow construe one form of bringing the dead back as evil and another as good, but that was the way of things. His way, once he learned it fully, would even make them stronger.

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
DM Note: Your understanding of the relationship between bonded aspects and traditional D&D schools of magic is correct. Magic is too new for anyone to have made sense of it well enough to divide it into the eight schools of magic. The normal eight schools of magic exist only mechanically and are not necessarily part of the world of Eadar (or at least not yet.) A bonded aspect exists more like a philosophy (or school of thought) for how magic works, how it is powered, and what purpose it serves.

At your description, Auril's expression sours. "I am afraid I am not interested in your sort of magic," he says as he pushes the book towards you. "It is corrupt, and your view of the punishment of others and your "mercy" upon them is horribly skewed. I will take my leave." He rises and begins to walk towards the staircase at A1.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
He shook his head thinking to himself that even while one might not like one sort of magic not learning about it was only to ones own detriment. But since he had remained decently polite about it he assumed that Auril was not disturbed enough to consider leaving. And let's face it if one reacted that poorly to the presence of mages that did not appeal to you then he would have left long before now. There had to be other people staying here that had equally odd points of view. He rose as well and said, "I am sorry I could not be of more help to you. I bid you good luck in finding a teacher even if it means I end up having to look for a new one. I hope to see you again someday. Maybe once we have both learned some more we can sit around debating the good and bad of our styles." He kept his tone polite and avoided indicating that he was moderately bothered by his form of magic being called "corrupt".

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
"For your sake I should hope that you abandon your current course and seek a beneficent line of magic. Farewell, Takuzei," he says as he crosses the silence barrier around the common area and walks upstairs.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
On that happy note (can't you just feel the sarcasm) he takes a moment to say mean horrible things in infernal taking advantage of the barrier so that no one would hear him even though it was unlikely anyone understood. He makes irritated gestures while he does so, but nothing that would be easily confused for somatic spell gestures. Then he leaves the common room looking to Babbage saying, "Well, I wish I could say that went well, but at least there was no fight. Could you point me towards the docks?" His tone was polite, but carried a mild amount of resentment at Auril judging him so.

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Babbage looks pleased. "Well, I appreciate your effort. I'm just glad he didn't see our tiefling guest that walked out of here. The docks are straight to the east from here, about a 30 minute walk. Can't miss 'em--if you do, you'd be standing in the water." Babbage smiles at his own joke, trying to lighten the mood.

XP so far:

Use of Gather Information at the Happy Harvester: 50 XP
Finding a rival apprentice (Auril): 50 XP
Gaining information about Semndon and his interview process: 50 XP
Preventing Auril from noticing the tiefling at the Spell and Slumber: 50 XP

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
He smiles and give a small chortle in response to Babbage's joke. Then says, "Thank you. Both for your appreciation and the directions." He then leaves putting his spellbook back into his bag. He would have to rush his attempts to capture a rat hopefully of unusual size. R.O.U.S.es were normally better for dissection than normal ones, but if all he could find was a small one that is what he would take.

Riftwalker
01-27-2008, 11:16 PM
You arrive at the docks at the eastern side of the city. Ebernath's docks are located in a small harbor rather than directly adjacent to the sea, and the harbor itself is lined with trees similarly to the rest of the city that prevents it from being visible from the water.

It is now 8:00 AM, and as you gaze out onto the harbor you see several teams of sailors and dockworkers unloading and loading ships with crates and other cargo. Ebernath may have been founded by Druids, but its current success is due to it being a trade center.

You focus your attention on finding rats, and you see several scurrying into and out of ships at the pier via the ropes that keep the vessels next to the pier. The dockworkers seem to be ambivalent regarding the rodents, ignoring them without a second thought. You see rats of various sizes--some as small as six inches from head to tail, and others are large as a foot. One rat on the larger end of the spectrum is climbing down the rope nearest to you and doesn't seem to take notice of you--at least so far.

DM Note: I'm leaving the approach for how you catch the rat (or a rat--if you don't like this opportunity) up to you.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-27-2008, 11:36 PM
OOC: How close is it? I figure I only have a standard action on the surprise round and it would scurry away if it got to react first on the full round. If it is in range I would like to cast acid splash (Roll(1d20)+0: 8,+0 Total:8) If it is not in range I will attempt to draw and load my crossbow without scaring it off. That takes longer, but I need to do it even if it does run off so my actions up to that point would not change. Also, if it does not recognize the threat the surprise round would not start until it did.

Riftwalker
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Ok, here's a better description of the situation with a diagram:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/ship-rat.gif

The view is a top-down view. The beige area is the dock, the black area is the ship's hull, the blue area is the water between the dock and the ship. The rat is climbing down the rope (the brown line) towards the dock. The rope is tied to one of the posts on the dock (the brown circle) intended for this purpose. The top of the post is just above waist-height for you. The red line is a circular ring/disk (6 inches in radius) around the rope intended to keep rats off the ship (though as you can see it is not entirely effective.) It is difficult for rats to climb around the ring, but the one climbing down managed to overcome it due to its size. From the post on the dock to the hull of the ship, the rope is sloped upwards at about a 30 degree angle. You are the white dot.

Some notes:
The rat either doesn't notice you or doesn't think you're a threat.
Right now it is climbing over the ring/disk. In another round it will be on the rope but over the water. (It's taking its time.) The round after that it will be on the rope but above the pier.

Hopefully that helps to clarify the situation some.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Takuzei draws and loads his crossbow waiting for the rat to get above the pier so that it is not lost when it falls. He steadies his crossbow of bone and tendon and tries to control his breathing so as to not screw up the shot. For some reason it had not occurred to him to get blunted arrows until now and he was using simple bone arrows with obsidian tips since they were the easiest materials to come by at home.

((OOC: It is all just flowery description for saying that he is readying an action to shoot the rat as soon as it gets over the pier. I just figured I would paint a mental picture while I was at it. Also, your rat in the drawing is cute.))

Riftwalker
01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
You wait several seconds until the rat is now over the pier instead of the water. (It is now in the square adjacent to you and before the post on the dock.) You may take your readied action to fire.

(Roll to hit and for damage, assuming you hit.)

Fuzzy alchemist
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Roll(1d20)+0: 19,+0 Total:19 threatens critical Roll(1d20)+0: 1,+0 Total:1 Screws up critical. Damage Roll(1d10)+0: 5,+0 Total:5 It figures. I nearly critical something I am trying to knock out with a weapon that could take down a human. I leave the description to you in case it is super rat and a 19 does not hit.

Riftwalker
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
The (non-super) rat gives off a tiny squeak as the bolt flies cleanly through it, and falls dead off the rope onto the dock lying in a heap.

You see another rat--this one smaller than the first--on the same rope, however it is running down the rope towards the post (the noise from the crossbow firing startled it) and will be there in one round.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Seeing as the first one was killed by the arrow he decides to use his better controlled magics and casts deaths call once the rat is within range. He had hoped that he could save it in case he hit a swarm of them, but it seemed as though he had overestimated the heartiness of a rat.

((OOC: Ready action to cast deaths call once it is within 10 feet. If it already is then he casts immediately. Also, dead? Do the rats not behave as other living things? I am not questioning your judgment, just seeing if I had misread something along the way.))

Riftwalker
01-28-2008, 04:09 PM
DM Note: Rats have 1 or 2 HP tops (1/4 d8). The rat you killed had 2 HP. I considered 5 points of damage (more than twice its hit points) to be massive/mortal enough damage to kill it, especially when it was a dead-on hit.
The equivalent damage to a human being would be like shooting a telephone pole through his stomach.

You scream a horrifying scream during which the color fades from your vision momentarily.

The rat takes 1 point of damage and is fatigued. (d20 + 2 = 10 vs. save DC of 13). It is also unconscious, and it falls off the rope onto the dock.

Two dockworkers run up, looking concerned. "Are you ok?" the first says.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Takuzei smiles saying, "Oh, I am quite fine, I thank you for inquiring. Some of my spells do odd things to me. I was simply hunting rats for my experiments and am having to settle for these instead of the ones the size of a human child. The bigger ones are easier to hunt." He looks over at his two victims and says, speaking to the sailors not the two rats whose lives he has destroyed, "I do not suppose either of you would have any idea where I could find the bigger ones or give the bloody one a proper disposal." While looking at them he looks to see if he can salvage the bolt or not.

((OOC: Not that it matters, but would the DC not be 18. 10+1 (spell level)+5 (ability modifier)+2 (spell focus necromancy increased because of bonded aspect) Either way it fails, but I just wanted to make sure that my calculations were correct.))

Riftwalker
01-29-2008, 12:01 AM
DM Note: You are correct about the DC of the spell. Apologies. Please feel free to correct me anytime I goof something like that up.

DM Note: Roll a d% to see if you regain the bolt. Let's say any roll from 01 to 50 means you get it back.

The two dockworkers give you a puzzled look once they find out the situation is all due to rats. They scoff at your idea of giving rats proper disposals and don't seem to take you very seriously. "Rats are rats... biggest rats I ever saw were in Kor."

"Let's leave this one be," the second says to the first, shooting him a look like he must be stupid for talking to you about rats. They turn and walk off.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
((OOC: Roll(1d100)+0:32,+0 Total:32 Yippee. I get it back.))

Takuzei shrugged. He figured that people would not appreciate other leaving dead bodies around or tossing dead matter into their water supply and so he asked. If these people did not care it mattered naught to him. He collects his bolt and knocks the body of the dead rat into the water. The then takes the opportunity to deal some non lethal damage to the unconscious rat. He did not want it waking up while he traveled. Once he was sufficiently pleased with the fact that the rat would remain asleep he went to find someone who would sell him a cage for it. This meant heading back towards shops.

Riftwalker
01-29-2008, 10:03 AM
DM Note: I'm fine with skipping over the RPing of buying a cage. Baskets cost 4 sp, so let's say a cage costs 8 sp. It allows air to pass into the cage (preventing suffocation), though not being made out of metal, the rat will chew out in 1d4 +1 days.

You find a shop that sells the above-mentioned cages on your way back to the center of the city. You purchase such a cage and place the unconscious rat inside it. You are now standing at the center of the city, and it is now 9:00.

DM Note: Should you want to do something else before walking back towards the center of the city, or not buy the cage, let me know and we can retcon it.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
After obtaining the cage and putting the rat in it all that was left to do was prepare a spell list for his interview. So, he headed back to the inn so that he could rest and prepare spells again. When he interviewed he wanted to show off his necromancy and his current selection did not allow for it. It was still early enough in the day that he might be able to interview before tomorrow.

Riftwalker
01-29-2008, 04:52 PM
DM Note: It was two days before Midsummer on the night you arrived. Today is the day before Midsummer, and the last day to interview. Semndon announces which apprentice he's selected on Midsummer (tomorrow).

It's 9:00 AM now. 8 hours of resting and 1 hour of preparing spells means you'd be ready at 6:00 PM and that doesn't include travel time (let's say an hour total to get from the center of the city to the Spell and Slumber and from there to Semndon's tower.) The earliest you'd be able to arrive is 7:00 PM. Is that what you want to do?

Fuzzy alchemist
01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Player note: I figured that mid summer was the summer solstice. Placing sunset at the latest time it would be all year. The day before would also place sunset very late. Also, the trains have yet to come (making standardization unlikely) and time is not likely closely measured as devices for doing so are inaccurate. They still likely use sunset, midday, and sunrise as measuring points. So, 7 pm would still be rather close to sunset, when people still would be awake, but would normally be packing up for the day. Since this man is looking for apprentices, only needs 8 hours of sleep, is involved in a field with a lot of studying (including independent research if I remember correctly), and is not in a field where day light matters quite so much I also figure that he would keep longer hours using candle light to continue his studies. This is further indicated by the fact that when he went to visit the tower the day before he saw a light in the tower. If I am wrong on any of this in a way that my character would be aware of please tell me so that I might better make a choice that my character would make. Also, when doing your estimates did you consider the fact that he might hustle instead of walk? I kind of figure you did but just in case it would shave a little bit of time off of his trip. Also, my character is charismatic enough to make an effort to make a good go at spinning his efforts as persistence and not irritation if he gets turned away at night and has to keep showing up at his door and killing those who get the job ahead of him until he is given an interview. All that being said, I am going to continue to give it thought to see if it makes the most sense.

Riftwalker
01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Let's say that the sun sets at 7:30 tonight, and by hustling you can be there with freshly prepared spells at 6:30.

Reasoning:
Yesterday you started the Sense Motive check at 7:00 PM. (It took 3 hours and when you were done it was 10:00 PM).
In the first post, I mention that the sun will set in less than an hour. In between then and the Sense Motive check you walked a few blocks by Semndon's tower and ended up a few more blocks away at the Happy Harvester, and that didn't take a lot of time.

The main point of my previous post was that it appeared that you were under the impression that Semndon was still interviewing apprentices tomorrow, and I wanted to ensure that you knew that that wasn't the case. (I promise I'm not intentionally trying to give you a difficult time. :))

Fuzzy alchemist
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
I was only talking about doing it tomorrow as a last resort. Basically break in at the announcement and challenge for the position or try to show up just before and change his mind. So, it shall be done tonight. To the inn to sleep and prepare spells. I am still thinking about the list though.

Riftwalker
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
You make it back to the inn and up to your room. Babbage greets on your way by but otherwise you make it up to your room without incident. You notice that this morning's breakfast tray is gone, but other than that your room is as you left it.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Takuzei quickly places the meal card into its appropriate slot so as to avoid missing out on dinner and figuring he would have enough time to sleep before dinner showed up left the inner door open so that if all else failed Sann would wake him for dinner so that he did not over sleep. He was going to cutting it close, but he had to make a good impression. He sets the rat (in the cage) down on the desk then hops in bed to get some sleep so that he will be refreshed enough to regain his magical energies.

((Spell list I am currently considering Necrotic assimilation (x3), warding (x3), parching touch, deaths call, ray of enfeeblement, necrotic cyst. In case you need more time to look them up and you can verify that I am not denied warding because it is abjuration.))

Riftwalker
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I parse the rules regarding bonded aspects and cantrips in the following way:

You start off with all cantrips from the schools in your bonded aspect. You can also know any cantrip from the other schools, however it costs 12.5 XP per cantrip and requires a spellcraft check to learn the spell at a +5 DC.

Reining in cantrips from outside your bonded aspect serves to keep the flavor of the bonded aspect. It's not impossible to learn spells outside your bonded aspect, just more difficult/costly to do so.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
OOC: Ok. I thought that that might be the case, but it did not occur until now to ask. Also, does that mean I have to pay 12.5 xp because I used prestidigitation? I had not thought about it at the time, but depending on your interpretation of things one could say that universal spells are considered to be everyones or they could be a loss to anyone bonded as they belong to no school. Because no one aspect specifically gets the school and no one can specialize in it or prohibit it. I figured it was basically just a catch all for what did not fall into any school and this is supported by the specialization side bar in the player's handbook. Because you are the DM it is your call, but I feel that they belong to everyone. Moving on. I will find something to replace warding with in the spell selection.

Riftwalker
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Let's consider spells from the universal "school" to be in all bonded aspects.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-30-2008, 09:35 PM
((OOC:Ok new spell list for the day when he finally gets around to preparing it. Caltrops, acid splash, prestidigitation, necrotic assimilation (x3), parching touch, deaths call, ray of enfeeblement, necrotic cyst. Also, is curse brew considered brewing a necromantic potion and would I therefore get my bonuses on the saving throw DC for them?))

Takuzei sleeps and dreams about his interview and getting to prove his magics superior to Auril's. Apparently he was still a little irritated by it but still not enough to do anything about it.

Riftwalker
01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
There's really two parts to cursebrewing. The first is brewing the cursebrew by expending spells (as per the writeup). The second part is using the cursebrew (essentially as a material component) in order to effectively cast one of the three curse spells. Casting the curse is like casting a necromancy spell, so your Spell Focus feat and other bonuses would apply just as if you were casting the spell.

Let's say it's now 6:00 PM and you've prepared your spells.

Fuzzy alchemist
01-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Takuzei rushes out of the room making sure to take the rat with him and heads towards the address on the paper. He uses prestidigitation to clean himself up before he gets there. He would enjoy his meal when he returned but right now he had bigger concerns.

Riftwalker
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
You arrive at Semndon's tower without incident. Your rat is conscious and gnawing on part of the cage, but it is not doing any damage. Despite all its rage, your "prisoner" is still a rat in a cage.

No other apprentices are in sight. It is approximately 6:30, and you look your best due to your prestidigitation spell.

Music: http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/tower.html

You glance up, noticing again the Draconic phrase engraved above the door. A warm summer breeze blows by, rustling the two maple trees behind you gently. For a moment you think you can hear two people talking in the tower, but you can't make out what they were saying.

DM Note: You rolled poorly on your Listen check. :)

Fuzzy alchemist
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, there was nothing left to do but knock. He walks towards the door and upon reaching it knocks on it looking around to see if there are other devices to be used to summon people to the door.

Riftwalker
02-03-2008, 12:19 AM
At your rapping you hear a pause in the conversation, followed by the click of the door's lock opening. The door swings open, and a middle-aged man you assume to be Semndon stands in the doorway, one hand on the door and another out of sight. He is dressed in blue and white robes, and stands a little more than half a foot taller than you.


Semndon: "Good evening. How may I be of service?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Takuzei smiles and says, "I am here to interview for the position as your apprentice. I am sorry for the late arrival, but I had a ways to walk and had to prepare for the meeting. I am sufficiently ready now if you are still willing to evaluate me as a candidate and should you need to finish your conversation I can either wait out here elsewhere. I promise I will not ease drop." He tries his best to hide how nervous he is about the meeting.

Riftwalker
02-03-2008, 01:30 AM
"Do not worry, you are not too late. Come in. I am indeed Semndon and I am looking for an apprentice. What is your name, young sir?"

He holds the door open, allowing you to enter, and you reply with your name as you enter the tower. You immediately notice a temperature change as you step through the door--despite it being summer outside it is comfortably cool inside the tower. You also notice that the hidden hand was carrying a long-sword. He closes the door behind you.

The decor inside the tower is simple but not spartan. The floor and walls are stone, the furniture and doors primarily made of wood. The seats look comfortable but not decadent. To your right is a set of bookcases mostly filled with books, but also an item or two mixed in. A table and two chairs sits near them. Directly in front of you are three sofas that surround a coffee table. All four pieces of furniture sit atop a green rug, and to the left of the coffee table is a fireplace, though no fire currently burns within.

You spot a figure sitting on the closest sofa twisting around to get a look at you. The figure appears to be a dwarf, though due to his height you are unable to see more than its head.

After Semndon closes the door he leads you to the sofas surrounding the fireplace and directs you to the sofa sitting opposite of the fireplace. He seats himself in the unoccupied sofa facing the door, slightly reclining into the sofa. He looks at the dwarf. "Kuromath, this is Takuzei; Takuzei, Kuromath," he introduces you.

"Nice teh meet yeh," the dwarf replies, though you can sense that he's not particularly pleased at your presence.

"It appears that I have another apprentice interested in an interview today. Would you mind if we combined the final part of your interview with this young man's in the interest of time?" he asks the dwarf.

You look at the dwarf. He is clearly young (for a dwarf), dressed in red and golden robes. Propped up against the sofa he sits on is the handle of an odd looking axe, and behind that, a large wooden shield. Sitting beside him is a small sack. "'Tis fine wit' me." He looks over his competition.

Semndon returns to you. "Terrific. Kuromath here is studying magics involved in the creation of magical weapons and armor. Takuzei, why don't you take a moment to describe your interests in magic and also to provide some background information about yourself. Where are you from?"

DM Note: I'm giving you leeway to disclose whatever you want here, but don't feel obligated to type out your entire history in a monologue. Unless you want to, which is also fine. It's ok to just list the facts you want to disclose, embellish, or lie about.


http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/tower-legend.jpeg

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/tower-floor1.jpeg

Fuzzy alchemist
02-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Takuzei gives a quick bow to the dwarf to be polite then gets that used car salesman smile. He begins, "I am from a small village of ranchers. I lacked the skill for that and took up magic instead. In the short time I have been alive I have learned how to warp the bodies and souls of all manner of creature, brew substances both magical and mundane that can bestow boons and blessings of differing sorts, pioneered a new way to punish those who harm me, and have learned how to plant the seeds of unlife into people." His voice held quite a bit of pride and excitement ans he went through his list He sighs as he considers how to spin the next part finally deciding on saying, "I wish I could give some grand and noble reason why I study magic, but I can not. I study because I want to learn and for that reason I will not be distracted. In the past I have used my magics to empower those who had been harmed and punish those who sought to do harm, but only because it served my interests. In my studies of the energies that fueled my sort of magic I learned much about the undead and look forward to learning more about them and their power." His tone had changed for this portion and his smile had faded. He was serious (which given his actions up till now is remarkable) and did not seem quite as content with his lack of goals as he was with his past. But he felt that he did a good job spinning it to sound better than it was. He had also managed to emphasize the fact that he could also create items and that he had done it in far less time than it had likely taken the dwarf. He hoped that the honesty would work in his favor instead of trying to give some lofty goals he had likely gotten from hordes of other applicants.

Riftwalker
02-03-2008, 02:49 PM
The dwarf remains silent during your introduction, knowing it is not his place to ask questions of you.

Semndon: "Quite a host of talents for one so young as yourself. We'll discuss them later, but for now I wish to conclude Kuromath's interview and simultaneously begin yours with some questions to ascertain your current levels of magical education.

As you both are aware, magic is a mystic force that has been tamed in many different ways. Power flows from many sources, for many reasons, and is affected by myriad circumstances. Mages from all over the world have thus mastered different facets, though no such approach has been shown to be complete or to completely supersede others. One of the benefits of living in Ebernath is that the mages of many varieties and disciplines congregate here, allowing all of us some exposure to unfamiliar approaches of magic. (Kuromath, your willingness to travel here underscores that fact.) Such exposure facilitates greater understanding of the mystical force we call magic.

In line with this, the apprentice I select should have a basic understanding of magic that does not directly parallel my own. As the apprentice learns from the master, the master, too, learns from the apprentice."

Semndon directs the question at Kuromath first. "Kuromath, what can you tell me of your approach to magic. I am aware of your emphasis on magically augmented weaponry, but describe if you could--as if I were totally unfamiliar with magic--how your variety of magic works."

"Certainleh. I would 'ave teh say tha' magic permeates everehthing in the universe, providing it wit' eh latent power. The trick is teh tap into tha' power'n ordeh teh shape part've the universe teh make it differen' somehow. Fer example, if yeh had a fire in the fireplace, it would beh possible t' tap inteh the fire teh change some've its propertehs, possibleh making it hotter, larger, er even teh turn its magic against itself and extinguish it."

Semndon looks at you. "And you, Takuzei?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "To describe my type of magic to someone who does not understand magic I would have to liken it to the worms you find in the various animals slaughtered for meat. It works its way into you disrupting the functions of your body and soul. As for a more general description of magic like what Mister Kuromath gave I would have to say that in my view magic is a sea of energy and each object is merely a sponge soaked in the energy like those in the sea. Those who work with it have learned how to change it from just being a medium in which to be suspended and infused with into a useful form like a prism changing the color of light. For instance, the fire spoken of before does not get its energy from magic in may opinion but instead from the light the plant used to grow. That light might have gotten its power from magic but I think it goes even deeper than that. Now one could pull some of the surrounding energy to create more heat boosting the fire or even causing one to exist where none was before. Or conversely they could pull energy from that sea and counteract the energies provided by the wood to extinguish it." He spoke slowly making sure that he did not go too fast for them to keep up with the changing analogies. He smiles and adds, "I do not know if my theory is any better than his, or anyone else's for that matter, but that is the reason we talk. So that we can hear other peoples' ideas and improve our understanding of things."

((OOC: Mister was the best way I could find to insure that it was obvious he was meaning to show respect for him. "Kuromath-sama" would have been more accurate, but would likely have been out of place. Because I do not know the exact nature of the language and it could easily have ways to do that I thought I would give further explanation here.))

Riftwalker
02-03-2008, 05:52 PM
DM Note: As someone largely ignorant of the nuances of the Japanese language, I'm not sure I fully appreciate the difference between the "sama" suffix and the "Mr." honorific.

"Very good then," Semndon responds. "Do either of you know Draconic?"

Kuromath responds, "I duh not."

Both pairs of eyes look towards you, waiting for your answer.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
((OOC: "sama" is normally used for a superior who is not so far above you to use "ono". Mr can be used for someone of equal or greater status and sama is normally only used for people of higher status to the best of my knowledge. I am not fluent, but what I know of the language this is true. Not that it matters too awfully much as long as it is understood that I was being respectful.))

Takuzei responds speaking in draconic, "I have indeed learned the language. A few of the books were written in it and it was required to insure that nothing was lost in translation." It seemed most appropriate and would insure that they were talking the same form in case one of them spoke an older dialect.

Riftwalker
02-03-2008, 06:37 PM
"Impressive," Semndon replies (in Anderlar). "Which books are you referring to?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-03-2008, 06:54 PM
He smiles as he replies, "One of the few things my village had, besides sheep, was a library. We knew that our population would not be able to sustain its growth without sending members away and for that reason a library was built. It was hoped that someone would either find a way to allow the land to sustain more people or that we would learn enough to leave safely. I was one of the ones that left safely. The books were collected from all over including the hordes of dragons and other libraries. So, one could never be sure of what any given book would be written in. One of particular interest was written by a black dragon and was on the undead." He had returned to speaking Anderlar following suite with Semndon.

Riftwalker
02-03-2008, 07:45 PM
"I know not where or how a small farming village could have obtained such a tome--or tomes for that matter. You shall have to tell me more about these books later.

Above the door to this very tower is a sentence in Draconic." He looks at Kuromath. "Translated it means, 'From darkness and cold comes everything.'" He now is addressing both of you. "What do each of you think this means?"

Kuromath takes a moment to think, allowing you to interject your answer should you wish to do so.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-03-2008, 07:59 PM
He decides to venture a theory saying, "Well the first thing to come to mind is the idea of a conjurer. It would make a decent motto for what they do. Pulling things seemingly from nothing." He is by no means confident in his answer, but suggesting something that made sense seemed better than trying to over think it and end up with some convoluted explanation of what it might mean. Language was designed to express ideas and obscuring the meaning seemed rather silly to him.

Riftwalker
02-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Semndon moves forward to sit at the edge of his seat.

"A good answer--and a close one. Though let me expand on it a bit," Semndon replies. "The statement is my personal, abridged answer to the previous question about approaches to magic. Before the universe existed, there was only nothing. Only cold and darkness. And from that cold and darkness came everything that now exists. I study these forces, both for their obvious destructive properties and their powers of creation. I hold true that if one wants to understand magic as a whole, they must start at its source.

As you both know there are many sources of power for magic--inherent energy that permeates everything, disruption of the energy that maintains life, and many others--but the ones I study were the first, and they will also be the last. They are eternal, and from them all other sources were created.

Now all of that is well and good but do not misunderstand me: I am not claiming my approach to be superior to your own. On the contrary I am claiming that it is less refined because it is not a derivative source."

Semndon sits back in his chair. As he does so you notice* the blade of the long-sword in his hand has a small layer of frost upon it.

"Alright, let me ask each of you some basic questions about magic."

Roll 5 Knowledge (Arcana) checks, to simulate Takuzei knowing the answers to Semndon's questions.

* DM Note: You made the spot check. The frost is like you would find on a frosted glass you'd put in the freezer for beer or something.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Knowledge arcana checks are as follows
Roll(1d20)+9:
1,+9
Total:10

Roll(1d20)+9:
8,+9
Total:17

Roll(1d20)+9:
17,+9
Total:26

Roll(1d20)+9:
17,+9
Total:26

Roll(1d20)+9:
19,+9
Total:28

Now for in character stuff.

Takuzei listened intently while he explained what the phrase meant and was glad to have at least gotten close to the correct answer. While he did notice the ice on the blade he did not think it right to bring up until later. He was not even completely sure of why he felt the need for a sword, but he seemed to be the only one not openly carrying a weapon.

Riftwalker
02-05-2008, 11:29 PM
You were able to answer all of Semndon's questions correctly, and not only that, but (for all but the first question) you were able to go above and beyond the question asked and give a detailed answer framed in a context that shows your mastery of the subject of the question.

Kuromath also knew his material, and attempted to also show Semndon this by providing details and contexts above the question asked, though the thoroughness of his answers was a notch below yours.

"Well then. It seems both of you clearly have the requisite mental aptitude. I assume that both of you are prepared for a small demonstration of your spellcasting abilities? Kuromath, please go ahead."

"Yessir masteh Semndon, sir. Well, as ye alreadeh know, bringin out teh inheren' forces wit'ten objects teh enhance their function is kindeh meh thing." Kuromath stands up, taking his shield and axe with him, and moves behind the couch. "Wit'ten meh axe lies teh power of eh more powerful axe."

Kuromath's voice lowers to a faint whisper, and he speaks the language of magic as he brings the head of the axe up to his face. The volume of his voice grows and he thrusts the axe out in front of him while his other hand gestures, appearing to trace out a small set of glyphs in the air. The axe emits a dim orange glow for an instant before the light fades. The axe has taken on a sharper, deadlier appearance.

"And meh shield would beh more useful ef et did et's thing wit'tou' needen teh beh held! Here yeh go." He takes an apple out of his pack and tosses it to Semndon. "Go ahead an' lob tha' at meh," he says to Semndon as he traces out another two glyphs with his left hand. He chants in the same language as before, and picks up his shield with his left hand.

Semndon looks a bit taken aback at first at being asked to throw fruit at the dwarf, but overcomes his shock quickly and throws the apple at Kuromath in an underhanded way. Once the apple is in the air, Kuromath lets go of the shield, and it floats in mid air beside him. The shield moves to block the apple without Kuromath's intervention.

"Did yeh see 'at?" he asks.

Semndon smiles. "Very interesting Kuroma--" He is interrupted by the sound of the shield falling and hitting the floor. Apparently the spell doesn't last very long.

"I'm still tryin' teh get the spell teh last just eh bet longeh," Kuromath confesses. He recovers his shield and the apple and returns to his position on the couch.

"Your chosen specialty of magic would have wide military applications, particularly if you're able to find a way to make them last a bit longer. Very impressive indeed."

"Thank yeh, sir," Kuromath replies.

Semndon turns to you. "Terrific. How about you?"


Details:

Kuromath's Answers: 18, 12, 24, 23, 19

Fuzzy alchemist
02-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "Well, I have two types of demonstrations. There is a group of spells that cause more permanent harm than I would prefer doing to someone just to prove that I can use them. That is why I brought a rat. I will warn you that they may seem underwhelming when used on it but they are also quite effective on other targets." He sighs and says, "Also, at the end we are going to need to dissect the rat to give you a better look at the affects of the spell so that you might better appreciate it." He sets the cage down feeling that that part can wait till later since it would be more time consuming with the dissection and all. He then continues, "The other set I feel would be best proved in a duel of magical skill. They would leave no lasting damage and would be best understood if felt and it would also prove how insidious my magics can be. So, if either of you would like to humor me with a friendly duel for that portion that would be great." He waits for one of them to either consent to a duel or suggest another way to proceed.

Riftwalker
02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Kuromath looks uncomfortable at the suggestion. The look on Semndon's face when asked to throw fruit at Kuromath returns as you suggest a duel. "I do not believe Kuromath has prepared for a duel and it would be unfair to ask him to participate. And, I learned long ago not to unnecessarily subject myself to magics if I can help it. If you cannot demonstrate upon the rat, we will have to make other arrangements.
I do not need to actually *see* the spell to understand that you can cast it. It would be sufficient to have you cast it in my presence while another counterspells it. Though counterspelling is not something I would consider my forte, I have a friend in the Order that's quite skilled at it. Perhaps after we are done here we can arrange for a friend of mine to aid us.
In the meantime, what's in store for your rat?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Takuzei give a quick nod and says, "I shall use my magics to create a cyst of undead flesh inside of the rat. This cyst draws in the types of energies associated with my magic and the undead. Once the cyst has taken hold the very touch of the undead causes damage to the host and it becomes even more difficult to resist my magics." He then picks up the cage and casts his spell, touching the rats abdomen. He intended to keep the cyst visable so he was not aiming to bury it too deep.

((OOC: I basically just assumed I hit the caged rat. There are not many places for it to go to avoid me. If you want me to do it in the normal way I will roll the attack.))

Riftwalker
02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
As you touch the rat, your mother cyst quivers. The moment the spell is completed it ceases.

Kuromath looks aghast, looking up at you and then to Semndon to gauge his reaction. You can tell that he's not comfortable with your sort of magic, but he's not willing to speak ill of it in Semndon's presence.

Semndon watches with curiosity. After the spell is cast, the rat begins to take on a sicker look. Whereas before it would pace around the cage, now it looks almost sick. A bulge the size of gold piece as formed on the right side of the rat's abdomen where you touched it.

"Interesting. Where did you learn that?" Semndon asks.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Takuzei was not sure how to explain it. It had come partially from study but there was always a part of it that he did not understand because he had never been able to replicate it in others. He decided to tell the truth, "Well, I had come across it in my study of the undead and necromantic energies. I was experimenting with zombie flesh to attempt to extract this power and after several magical treatments it suddenly animated and mingled with my own. I bear a similar cyst in me that grants me the ability to make them in others. It carries none of the downsides of the other cysts and grants me several spells no one else has. Sadly, I must have missed some part of the process that happened because I have not been able to replicate the experiment. But with the one I carry I can make the ones inside of others take parts of the flesh and soul surrounding it and incorporate it into its form." To prove his point he cast necrotic assimilation to expand the cyst.

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 12:52 AM
"Where did you get zombie flesh? Where is your cyst?" Semndon asks as you cast necrotic assimilation. The rat's cyst appears to have jerked, and the rat shakes from the pain and then falls unconscious. Semndon leans forward in his chair, watching the rat intently. The look on Kuromath's face worsens; he now looks disgusted.

(You did 1 point of damage to the rat, though the damage was not vile, and the rat is now at 0 HP.)

Fuzzy alchemist
02-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Takuzei tries to keep a strait face and not show his excitement too much at the fact that Semndon was showing quite a bit of interest in his work. He did not want Kuromath to mistake it as glee over the rat's pain. He answers the question as such, "My cyst is located here in my abdomen." He points to a spot just above his left kidney. He continues, "As to where I got the zombie flesh, I used some of my cursing ability to attach a curse to a disciple that came too near to the village for my liking. I originally did it to insure that she would show what horrible things happened to those who went to that area, but she pressed on and found me. By that time the curse had already taken a great toll on her and she was willing to do anything to get it broken. So, I had her bring back zombies for me to examine." He was not going to elaborate on what happened to her before he left just yet as he did not want to push things. Nor was he going to mention that the only reason he had managed to do it to her in the first place was that she was weak and tired from dehydration and starvation and asleep at the time. In a fair fight she could have killed him easily, but he made sure never to fight fair. He still could not figure out why people seemed to think his magic was so bad, but they did. Maybe if he kept it up Kuromath would attack and he would get to show his other spells off after all. Though if he thought Takuzei could still create more cysts it was unlikely that he would put himself in that kind of danger.

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Semndon turns to Kuromath. "Kuromath, I do not wish to protract your stay here today unnecessarily. I have many questions for Takuzei--as his interview has just begun--but before I get into a prolonged conversation with him, would like to give you the opportunity to conclude your interview. You are welcome, of course, to remain until Takuzei's demonstration has been completed--just as he was present for the entirety of yours, but by no means obligated to."

Kuromath takes a look at the rat and then you, and then moves to pick up his axe, shield, and bag. "Thank yeh sir fer teh opportuniteh to interview wit' yeh. I shall take meh leave and check back wit' yeh tomorrow when teh results're posted."

Semndon rises, leaving his sword propped up against the sofa he was sitting upon and shows Kuromath out ("It has been a pleasure meeting with you today, Kuromath.") before returning to the sofa and resuming the conversation.

"Tell me more about this disciple. Is she still alive? Disciple of what immortal? What area were you trying to protect and dissuade trespassers from?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-09-2008, 08:08 PM
He laughs slightly and says, "I really do not remember what immortal. I am not even sure I ever asked. All that mattered to me was the power she had. But she is still alive. The place I was trying to avoid people finding was my home. One of our main defenses from those around us was that few knew we existed or that anything of value would be there. Even though the town is worthless besides its books to most, those who feel the need to control everything would value it as something to be controlled. So, I really can not tell you where the area is." He hoped that this answer would suffice as he was afraid to tell the details of what had happened to the lady. She was technically alive, but she had no life and was considered by most to be dead.


((OOC: I may need to roll a bluff check on this one. While not technically lying he is definitely concealing the truth.))

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 08:51 PM
DM Note: Ok, knowing that Semndon doesn't necessarily know this unless he figures it out or sees through whatever bluffing conceals it, what do you mean by "she was technically alive, but she had no life and was considered by most to be dead"? In a coma? I'd prefer to know the backstory behind this, since it might tie in with some other story arcs I have planned.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Player note: What I was thinking was he used the cyst to hit her with enough vile damage that she got to -1 hit points and stabilized her before -10 making it impossible for her to heal back up to even barely conscious without holy ground, which if there was a malign influence that was helping him along (something you suggested for the cyst) I doubt the ground is going to become holy anytime soon. He then hid and bound her in a section that would be free of rats and insects so that no further harm could come to her. Unless I have misread the starvation and thirst rules I do not think it deals lethal damage, so she will not die in that state. This prevents her from ever being brought back to life because her soul is still trapped in a living body, but without healing she can never be roused and without food and water being forced down her throat she can never begin to heal the nonlethal damage from the starvation and dehydration which can not be magically healed. If I am wrong about the thirst and starvation he could have asked one of the people who was loyal to him to feed her and give her water so that she would be trapped. I figure that is something he would know to do and they would want the village to remain hidden as much as he would and would not mind keeping the body alive. They would not tell anyone about it and many people had died exploring up there before, so most people just assumed she died like the others when she did not return.

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
DM Note: Clever. :) Though I was under the impression that Takuzei was more of a loner--even from everyone in the village except possibly a librarian or two. Why would they have helped him with such an act like killing a visitor to the area?

Fuzzy alchemist
02-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Well a few reasons. They do not want others finding them and if she died and had friends it is possible that she could tell them after she died. She would also provide a great deal of motivation for revenge as he basically kept her enslaved through the curse and towards the end the cyst. They are afraid of him. I mean he did ruin quite a number of them and the rest were not quite sure what it took to get on his bad side. A sense of mercy might also make them unwilling to just let her die. I mean there are plenty of people who think indefinite life support is fine in our world, why would there be no one like that on their end? Also, the people who got the land after he ruined the others might owe him a favor or two for expanding their estates by so much and he would have no qualms about calling in said favors. So, in summery, self interest in not wanting to be invaded, self interest in not wanting to be harmed by those seeking vengeance on her part, self interest in not wanting to be harmed for disobeying Takuzei, and a desire to extend quantity of life even if there is not quality. Also, thank you for thinking my idea was clever. I have worked on how to stop enemies from continuously coming back and part of that was to insure they could not be raised. Not that I mind reoccurring villains. Actually I quite enjoy them. It is just that if I have defeated the same person 5 times and killed them twice it cuts into my sense of accomplishment when they come back again trying to get in my way.

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Ok. Can you give a name and quick description of the specific person or persons that are keeping the disciple alive and their specific motivations for doing so? (You gave several general, possible motivations above, but if there are any specific ones, I'd like to know about them.)

If you want, I can make them up, but since it's part of your character's background I want to give you the freedom to flesh that out as you see fit first.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Ok. One is named Toma. She is from the library and she is doing it out of slight loyalty to Takuzei as he is one of their better patrons. She also is afraid of the trouble that would be brought upon them if the disciple was ever able to give up her information, but she has power of her own (psychoportation if psionics is allowed) and has every intention of escaping with the books at the first sign of trouble. She was an adventure before she settled with them and has all manner of magical storage that she has kept hidden. No one knows of her abilities or her past. Harru is also taking care of her. He is doing it because his family's ranch was tinny, the smallest of all of them, but thanks to Takuzei making sure that when one of the larger ranches was falling on hard times everyone else was not in a position to buy the land and they could, they are one of the larger land holders in the village and he feels that he owes it to Takuzei to keep this problem of Takuzei's under control. No special abilities to speak of. Just a normal rancher might make a good paladin if he ever got the chance. The third is the local vet. He is named Sam. He does it because he can not bear to let her die never mind be the one responsible for killing her. Should they ever wish to stop they put it to a vote and are bound by the majority. One would hope that they have not voted to release her from her mortal coil just yet as it could be catastrophic for Takuzei if they decided to seek vengeance against him immediately. I think this is a good way to work it. It puts enough people in place that Takuzei could feel secure in knowing that she will not die too soon, but leaves a loophole for you to have her die and become a problem for him when he is ready to face such problems.

Riftwalker
02-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Alright. Sounds good. Unless you object, I'm going to modify some details slightly:

- Harru and Toma are husband and wife, and Sam is their son (14 years old). (That way it's not just an assorted group of villagers.)

- Sam is not the local vet yet but is fairly good with animals.

- Despite the family helping Takuzei, he is still always kept "at a distance." For example, he is not invited over for dinner, and he is not privy to their private conversations and decision-making processes surrounding the fate of the disciple.

- Takuzei is glad that Harru, Toma, and Sam maintain the body of the disciple, and also realizes that he is lucky to have the three to do this--many others would not have helped in this matter in such a subtle way.

And now back to the story...

Semndon: "What do you mean you cannot say where the area is? Where are you from, anyway? I know that you're not from too remote a distance, judging from the lack of accent in your Anderlar..."

Fuzzy alchemist
02-10-2008, 12:15 AM
((OOC: Ok. but still no one knows about her abilities or the stockpile of storage items, right? Also, it should have occurred to me to try and copy Auril's accent. He would have been from far enough away that it would have been unlikely that anyone would be able to extrapolate the location. Or even if he failed it would provide enough of a disguise that it would make it indeterminable. Oh, well. Slow thinking on my part.))

He smiles a forced smile and says, "I have killed people in the defense of my home. One of their advantages is the fact that few know the village exists. So, telling you where it is would add one person to that list and put the entire village at risk. I am not going to go so far as to say I would have to kill you if I told you, but I will tell you that I am not going to tell people without something of great importance relying on said information. As to your assertion that it is nearby based on my vocal abilities. I know several languages and speak them all well, but I doubt the dragons would think me native because of the way I speak theirs. One can learn or unlearn an accent with decent ease." He was unsure of why his home was becoming such a big issue in this interview. He understood the books were interesting, but this was getting into information that it should be obvious is being protected for a reason. He had even explained the reason once before and it did not seem an unreasonable thing to wish to protect his home by not revealing its location. He continues his smile no longer forced as his humor was improving as he decided to try to be funny, "The location makes no difference to the conversation. So, for the sake of the conversation let us say it is located in a pocket dimension under the Parthian Sea. It was surrounded by a mass of urchins."

Riftwalker
02-10-2008, 12:49 AM
DM Note: Correct. Toma's abilities/items are not known outside of her family except for Takuzei. I'm assuming that:
Takuzei knows that Toma has some "magical powers."
Takuzei knows that Toma's powers are different from his own, but does not know that they are psionics. (He has never read any books on psionics or heard of them otherwise, because they wouldn't exist in the Brier Patch library at this point.) For all he knows she could be a sorceress skilled in another aspect of magic.
Takuzei does not know about any specific items of Toma's, but he has seen her stuff more books than could possibly fit into a bag and then carry it as if unburdened with the weight of the books, and this observation was made while she thought she wasn't being watched. Takuzei has never had a chance to take a close look at that particular bag, but assumes that she can use it or similar items to aid with the task of keeping the disciple alive."Hmph." Semndon chuckles. "All right, I won't force it out of you. As you undoubtedly know I have some interest in those sorts of magic and I merely wished to investigate, not take control of the village or anything like that. A dragonscribed tome of necromantic magic could contain lost secrets that would add to the world's arcane knowledge. I wonder if it is the tome that is protected or the knowledge within?

Regardless, let us change the subject. Is there anything else you would like to show me with the rat or is it time to put it out of its misery?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-10-2008, 01:06 AM
He nods and says, "Well, I could demonstrate another spell in the process of putting it out of its misery." He casts parching touch and his hand glows with a dull ruby light. He then continues, "This allows me to draw water out of a victim causing them to become thirsty and damaging the tissues. This is of course more effective on things more dependent on water." He then tries to touch the rat again and as it is unconscious should have little trouble in that respect.

((OOC: Roll(1d6)+0: 5,+0 Total:5 so 5 damage 1 point of constitution damage, and unless it succeeds on a fortitude save it is dehydrated as well. I figure I am bound to hit an unmoving target eventually, so we can either roll and see if I do it the first time or just move on with it eventually happening as he can hold the charge until he touches the target.))

Riftwalker
02-10-2008, 01:59 AM
You notice the rat shrinking slightly at your touch as the water within it fades out of existence. Its eyes shrivel into small, hardened red pellets. Its skin becomes taut around its bony skeleton, cracking in some places due to the lack of moisture. The rat is dead--now no more than a dried husk. The cyst within it quivers violently at the result of the spell as the rat dies and then it too becomes motionless.

"Probably not the nicest way to go. A nice spell there, though, that's for sure. Does this conclude your demonstration now that your rat is dead?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Takuzei nods and says, "Yes. It concludes my demonstration, but hopefully not my interview. You had said it was just beginning." He forces a worried smile and sounds mildly worried with the last clause of the first sentence. He was concerned that perhaps his callous nature had offended the man and he was intending to conclude the interview over it. He would have to find a better way to dispose of this rat. The last one was killed by normal means, but this one had been blasted with necromantic energies and was not something he wanted to sow back into the web of life.

Riftwalker
02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
"Oh indeed it is. Let me first go over some administrative matters. Please feel free to interrupt at any time if you have questions or concerns.

So...hmm...where to begin." Semndon sits back in his chair.

"The Panthic Order here in Ebernath is possibly the greatest hub of spellcasters in all of human lands, attracting mages from across the world to share and spread their arcane research. The prince of Ebernath deems it in the best interest of Ebernath to maintain this superiority, for many reasons. One reason is the defense of Ebernath. The nation of Ebernath has long been fortunate enough to resolve disputes and avoid conflict through diplomatic measures. Interestingly, it does not maintain a large army, which makes the continued success of diplomacy that much more surprising. Surprising, that is, until you factor in that the Panthic Order is based here.

Currently, the prince feels that there is a significant percentage of the population that could potentially learn to use arcane magic, but that they are not given the chance to. Though there are many reasons why this may be the case, he is under the impression that the mages in the Panthic Order are generally reluctant to train, tutor, teach, or mentor the next generation of wizards.

Since many of the mages in the Panthic Order are funded by the state (including myself--this tower and much of my research is funded by a combination of the prince and taxes) the prince's wishes and whims cannot be easily ignored.

Do I actually want to mentor an apprentice? My feelings on that are lukewarm. There are positives and negatives, but since either I or the apprentice can end the apprenticeship at any time it doesn't sound terribly risky. I suppose we'll see how it goes." Semndon smiles a genuinely friendly smile at this.

So, assuming that I select you to be my apprentice (and that you accept), here's what I expect of you.
I expect a minimum of sixteen hours per week spent towards whatever task I assign to you. (DM Note: 1 week = 10 days.) My expectation is to assign you small pieces of research that you can complete on your own that will both aid in your learning as well as help me in some capacity. I have many interests and do not get a chance to pursue them all due to there being only so many hours in a day. I intend to counterbalance the amount of time mentoring you will take by having you aid me in this respect.
A 25 gp "tuition" per week, used for room and board, and laboratory expenses. Know that I'm not profiting from this--these costs merely cover your basic needs while living and experimenting within the tower. I'll also have some ways for you to earn some extra cash as well to offset this. Or you are free to acquire the funds however you see fit.
I expect you to follow some specific rules while within the tower. There are four basic rules: First, no one other than yourself may enter the tower for any reason without my permission. The reasons for this should be obvious. Second, I expect you to keep the space you occupy tidy. Third, if any door on the 3rd or 4th level of the tower is closed, you do not open it, nor do you knock, except in cases of emergency. I see no reason to not extend to you the same courtesy. And finally, I expect courtesy with respect to noise levels and other disturbances while I am sleeping, have visitors, or otherwise notify you that I wish for quiet to read or concentrate upon something.
I expect for you to pay for anything that you damage within the tower. If you blow a hole in the wall, I'll be sending you the bill.What you can expect from me in return:
You may stay in the bedroom on this floor of the tower." Semndon points behind him to a door. "Of course, you're not required to stay there should you prefer to stay elsewhere, but the option is open. And 3 meals a day, though in many cases you will have to prepare the meals yourself. Occasionally, I grow tired of eating what my limited culinary skills can muster, and hire a cook for an evening or two.
I will also grant you the use of the laboratory/workshop on the second level of the tower to be used for your own personal research as well as to support the assignments I give you.
You may schedule up to eight hours per week with me for the purpose of guidance in your personal research or other instructional purposes.
You may borrow any of my spellbooks (though they cannot leave the tower) for the purpose of learning the spell or scribing scrolls from it. However, know that in many cases the spells are dangerous and should not be attempted haphazardly.So, there you have it. Full disclosure, and a fair deal if I do say so myself. Do you have any questions so far? After this I will describe some of my research interests and show you around the tower."

Fuzzy alchemist
02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
He nods and says, "I have only a few questions and this is just for clarification. When do you sleep? Does the rule about bringing people include test subjects? Also, if one became sapient would I have to get rid of it? How often can I expect you to need me quiet? The reason I ask these questions is if I know when to start wrapping things up it helps me avoid being loud while you wish to sleep and if you will need me to be quiet very often I will know to insure that I take advantage of the times when I can be loud to do the louder experiments. If I am allowed to bring sapient test subjects that would be handy to know." To him "person" was defined by something aware enough to be in society even if they never did so and he wanted to avoid getting rid of useful subject if he did not have to. He continued after a slight pause, "Also, on relatively off topic notes. I have not blown a hole in a wall for over a month and you are aware that my spells are of little military value, right? I mean I do not imagine they would be willing to put forth the energy to curse a nation or that they would have the stomach for an undead army. Do not get me wrong. I have no issue using my magics to help the prince, but my arts are more kept to the shadows and less to the battlefield. So, unless he is willing to strike at their heart preemptively my magics are not going to be all that useful to him."

Riftwalker
02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Semndon answers your questions as you ask:

"Like most people I sleep in the evening, heading to bed a few hours after sunset and typically waking at dawn."

"Test subjects? If you're regularly experimenting on actual people, we may have to make other arrangements for the location of your research."

"I highly doubt you (or anyone for that matter) is capable of creating anything with sapience. That certainly would be a feat!"

"I only ask for courtesy. If I am entertaining a guest or sleeping I would prefer not to have excessively loud noises occurring elsewhere in the tower."

"I wouldn't sell yourself so short on the military applications of your skills. But that is a topic for later."

"Do you have any further questions?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Takuzei shakes his head and says, "No. That is all for now. I just wanted to make sure I understood everything decently well and took care of the questions you might not think to cover." He decided to avoid any further questions that might raise more odd questions in response.

Riftwalker
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
"Alright then.

Like you, I started off as a particularly gifted spell-caster. In my youth I was part of the Griffin Company, helping to keep the goblinoids in the north at bay. Most of the time our tactics involved the rangers surrounding a group of them in all but one direction. Then the enemy would retreat in that one direction, only to find themselves ambushed by another small group of which I was a part.

My variety of magic was battle magic--used to aid the rangers on the battlefield. For whatever reason I found that spells involving cold came more easily to me. I also provided support magic for the rangers. The Griffin Company's rangers are some of the best--but they do even better when magically augmented or wielding magically augmented weapons."

Semndon smiles, reminiscing the strategies and victories of his days with the Griffin Company.

"So, you could say that my early magical pursuits were martially motivated. Though I have other interests today as well, I am still interested in furthering the advancement of magic for the purposes of war. There are many threats to Ebernath and to the greater humanity, and it is prudent to be prepared for such threats. Specifically, I am interested in battlefield control via elemental magic (particularly of the cold variety) and the augmentation of items for the purposes of increased battlefield effectiveness.

As you might have also guessed, I am also interested in the underlying mechanisms of magic as well. I hinted at this earlier while Kuromath was still here. I've been studying some of the darker magics as well for this purpose, and have discovered some of the basics of manipulation of life forces.

I've also been looking into enhancing cold magic with this energy as well--and have found that I'm able to achieve somewhat synergistic effects: cold magic becomes colder, and the manipulation of life energy through the spell also becomes more pronounced as well.

I also attempt to keep abreast of what some of the other mages in the Order have discovered, and occasionally have a contribution there as well.

That probably sums up my interest, at least at a high level. I assume all of that made sense? Given my knack for the cold and your knack for the manipulation of life forces, I expect that there's some overlap between our competencies, which is precisely what I'm looking for..."

Due to a successful Sense Motive check, you correctly get the impression that Semndon is at least strongly leaning towards making you his apprentice if not decided upon it.

Sense Motive roll: d20 - 1 = 17 - 1 = 16

Fuzzy alchemist
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Takuzei gave the attentive nods and the increased eye contact that normally indicated that he was listening. He was not sure that the negative energies actually made things any colder or simply made them feel that way. If it ever became overly important he could come up with an experiment that would prove it one way or another. His mind wandered a little while he thought about it, but quickly came back to focus. He did not drift out enough to miss anything, but it had been enough for him to come up with one idea for how to test it. All that was really important was that this man could teach him more about what he needed to learn. Even if their styles were rather different they still would learn from each other.

Riftwalker
02-14-2008, 11:38 PM
"Alright, let me give you a quick tour of the tower."

First floor:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/tower-floor1.jpeg

Legend:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/tower-legend.jpeg

"My tower is comfortable but not elaborate or fancy. Behind me you see the stairs that go up to the upper floor of the tower, and this room is the living area."

Semndon rises and walks you around the bottom level. As you enter the bathroom, you notice that it is typical for a bathroom, though spotlessly clean and smelling slightly of steam. The tub is large, with two steps leading up to it. A thick dark green rug sits on the stone floor, and matching green towels are folded and left on the counter part of the sink adjacent to the tub.

The kitchen is lined with cabinets and countertops, and in the corner is a pantry. Some assorted household items (such as a mop) are stored out of the way in the far corner. Next to the fireplace is a basic stove connected to it. Presumably this is how it draws heat, though there is also a door so that the stove can be used independently of the fireplace.

The bedroom in the northwest corner is simple but not crude. A double-sized bed sits across from the central fireplace. A small pile of folded sheets sits atop of the bed. Additionally a matching bookcase (without books), dresser, desk, and chair lines the rest of the room. The room is spacious, but does not feel empty. "This is the guest room of my tower, though I intend for it to serve as the quarters of my apprentice."

Semndon leads you upstairs.

Floor 2:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/tower-floor2.jpeg

"This is the workshop for use by my apprentice." Around the circular room is a desk (with a few sheets of blank paper, a feather quill, and an ink vial), table, and workbench, as well as a bookshelf and chair. In the center is the fireplace, extending from the fireplace below. This makes the room slightly awkward, but not horribly so. The pieces of furniture are wooden--possibly maple--and match each other.

Floor 3:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/tower-floor3.jpeg

Unlike the previous floor, this one is filled with papers, magical trinkets, alchemical equipment, and other assorted clutter. Though the room is filled with many different items, a few you notice specifically: The bookshelves are lined with books and stacks of papers and an assorted item or two. On the desk sits an open spellbook and some partially finished scrolls. On the workbench are two large glass beakers, one filled with a golden yellow colored powder and another with some murky dark grey liquid. Farther on the same workbench are what appear to be metallic claws and a circlet.

"This is where I do most of my research. I was using some of the space in the level below but have since moved everything up here."

As you and Semndon leave the the laboratory/workshop on the third floor, he points upstairs. "The final floor up there is my bedchamber, though I do not see any utility in continuing our tour in that direction."

You and Semndon return to the first floor.

DM Note: If you wanted to ask/do anything during the tour, go ahead and say so and we'll retcon it in. I went ahead and wrote out the tour because I didn't want to stop with each room and ask "Do you do/ask something here?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I would like to inquire as to the nature of the powder and gray liquid if I do not already know what they are either from my experiences in alchemy, potion brewing, or knowledge arcane things.

Riftwalker
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Roll one Knowledge (Arcana) check for the powder and one Craft (Alchemy) check for the liquid.

You need a 25 for the powder and 15 for the liquid.

(Should you fail the checks, you can always ask Semndon about them if you choose.)

Fuzzy alchemist
02-15-2008, 10:43 PM
In reverse order

Roll(1d20)+9:
16,+9
Total:25

Roll(1d20)+9:
6,+9
Total:15

So, I pass the one for the liquid and fail for the powder.

Riftwalker
02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
The liquid is impure alchemical silver. It would take an hour or two of effort to purify it enough to be useful.

Do you ask about the powder or comment on the alchemical silver?

Fuzzy alchemist
02-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I want to ask about the powder.

Riftwalker
02-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Semndon indulges you. "That, is powdered seagold from Seaward. See how it shimmers in the light?" Semndon lifts the beaker and tilts it in the light. As the rays of light bounce off the specks of powder you witness a glittery effect. "It is largely used for decorative purposes but has some trace magical properties as well that I'm interested in."

Fuzzy alchemist
02-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Takuzei nods his understanding but otherwise says nothing. He did not want to start an over long conversation on what the magical properties that interested him were and it was getting later than he had indicated he normally remained awake.

Riftwalker
02-16-2008, 12:08 AM
DM Note: Just so there isn't any confusion, I estimate Semndon'll be up for another hour or so.

(End DM Note)

The two of you walk downstairs and take your respective seats from before. The dead rat and its cage still sit upon the table in front of you.

"Terrific - it's been a pleasure interviewing you today. You're going to make a great wizard if you continue along your current course. Was there anything else you wanted to add before we conclude?"

Fuzzy alchemist
02-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Takuzei smiles and says, "Your endorsement is much appreciated. The only thing I would like to add is a small question you do not have to answer if you do not want to." He gets a more serious look to him and continues, "You mentioned that you felt pressured due to the prince's funding to obey his wishes. What else has the backing cost you? I am curious to know what the price people have paid for some of their larger decisions and their satisfaction with said choices. It helps one to understand human nature to know why they do what they do and the prices they pay are part of that."

Riftwalker
02-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Semndon thinks for a moment before answering.

"It has cost me little and gained me much. Were my arrangement with the prince not possible I would likely be doing the same research and collaborating with the same people, sans the cushion of income that affords me this tower and other resources. In that regard I would likely be doing less of what I wanted to, simply because I would have to perform other tasks to compensate, and these other tasks would likely not be related to my interests. In short, my present arrangement is a fairly good fit for me. As I mentioned before, I was initially lukewarm about mentoring an apprentice, but the more I think about it, the more I think the advantages outweigh the costs. I'm currently looking forward to it."

Fuzzy alchemist
02-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "Thank you. That was informative." He was going to think about what that indicated about this man over the next few hours and intended to reserve judgment until then.

Riftwalker
02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
You collect your belongings, including the cage with the dead rat, and Semndon shows you out.

"I'll be posting notice of who I select tomorrow outside my door. Be sure to stop by. Nice meeting you today, Takuzei."

As you step through the front door of the tower, a blast of warm air greets you; you are reminded of the temperature difference between the inside of the tower and outside. Though it is late in the day, so it is not unbearably hot.

You are now standing outside of Semndon's tower. It is approximately 9:30 PM. A gentle breeze rustles the leaves of the two maple trees outside the tower.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Takuzei heads back towards the inn. There was nothing more that he could do in town tonight. He would just study the rat corpse in private when he got back to his room or maybe talk to people in the common room if there seemed to be anyone of interest.

Riftwalker
02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
You walk from Semndon's tower back towards the Spell and Slumber, feeling confident that the interview went well. Night has fallen, and most people are inside for the evening. Four blocks from the tower, a man walks past you--seemingly ignoring you as if he takes no special interest in you.

Several seconds later, you hear a pair of footsteps of two people running towards you from behind, attempting to muffle their footsteps but (obviously) not very successfully.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I will turn around to see what the commotion is all about. There was only a few reasons why people muffled their footsteps and most of them were not good. He knew it had to be obvious he was a mage and if these people where the least bit observant they would notice the damaged corpse he carried and hopefully understand that he was not the kind of mage to mess with.

Riftwalker
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
The man that just passed you is 10 feet away, and has shifted from sneaking to running at you upon seeing you spin around. He carries with a sap in one hand, and his face bares an agitated snarl. He's bigger than you, but would not be described as having a large build.

Another figure is 30 feet farther behind him (i.e., 40 feet away), running to catch up.

Roll for initiative.

Riftwalker
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Scene Music:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/fight1.html

Fuzzy alchemist
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I got a 6 total.

Riftwalker
02-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Man Initiative
Woman Initiative

Riftwalker
02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
The man closes the distance between you, swinging his sap at your head.

Attack and damage roll

Riftwalker
02-24-2008, 11:04 PM
The sap connects with your head just above the ear, but the blow is not enough to jar you senseless. You take two points of non-lethal damage.

The figure behind runs to catch up. You see that she carries some rope over her shoulder, but in her hand she also carries a sap. "Get 'em, Riko. Quick, before he gets a spell off!" She is now 10 feet away.

Riftwalker
02-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Here is the tactical map. You are the "T", the man is the "M", and the woman is the "W". The street is not well-lit; the yellow circles are the glowing orbs that provide some illumination.


http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/streets.gif

Fuzzy alchemist
02-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Takuzei laughs and says, "At least you were smart enough to come in a group." As he speaks he takes a 5 foot step and casts Deaths call once his sentence ends. He hoped that this would weaken them enough for him to get away and possibly attract attention like it had at the dock. He wished he had brought his crossbow, but he did not see any reason to bring his bags with him meaning his weapon was back at the inn with the rest of his belongings.

Riftwalker
02-26-2008, 10:14 AM
The colors fly away from your vision, leaving your visual perception of the world black and white as you emit a horrible scream.

The man grimaces in pain, as small black wisps emanate from him during your yell.

The man's fortitude save.

Over the next few seconds, the color returns to your vision.

Riftwalker
02-26-2008, 10:21 AM
The man's skin tone turns pale and the areas of flesh under his eyes darken slightly. (He is fatigued.)

He growls and lunges towards you, aiming again at your head with the sap.

Attack and damage rolls

Riftwalker
02-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Though not as powerful as the first blow, the second blow to the head causes you to feel slightly dizzy. (You're staggered.)

The woman moves forward to engage you with her sap as well.

Attack and damage rolls

Riftwalker
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
The blow lands squarely, though you barely feel it. You spin around as you fall unconscious to the street and see an overweight man emerge from the inn and run towards you and your combatants yelling something. "Quick!" the woman whispers to the man as you black out.

You regain consciousness several hours later. The first thing you notice is a dull ache on the top of your head, followed by the fact that you're bound and gagged. You open your eyes but see nothing, but the air has a musty, wooden smell to it. You are laying on your side.

Please roll a listen check.

DM Note: You've been out cold for six hours. Since you heal 1 point of nonlethal damage per hour, you're currently at 2 points of non-lethal damage.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Roll(1d20)-1:
10,-1
Total:9

Listen check

Riftwalker
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
You hear the woman from before talking, but cannot make out what she is saying.

Fuzzy alchemist
02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
OOC: Sorry for the delay. I got suddenly busy and kept saying it would do it right after I finished what I was doing at the time.

Seeing as he was bound and gagged that left only one real option at the moment. Wait for a time when he could actually do something. He was not practiced enough to slip his bonds and he was low on spells at the moment. All that was certain at the moment was that these people were going to pay for their actions.

Riftwalker
02-29-2008, 10:48 PM
OOC: No problem. Welcome back! :)

You sit in silence and darkness for several minutes. Then, from no where, you hear a whispered message (as if someone were an inch from your ear whispering very quietly, however you know no one is that close to you): "Are you there? Are you alright? I've been captured, too. I've managed to chew through my gag, but please mumble something if you're there."

Fuzzy alchemist
02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
He simply mumbles "Am-hum" through his gag signaling that he understood, but was still in worse condition than the man who had apparently managed to get himself decently free.

Riftwalker
03-01-2008, 01:36 AM
DM Note: I should have mentioned it before but the voice is female.

"I've been here for about a day now. I'm a little tired and hungry, and was a little roughed up, but I'll be ok.

I think there are three of us. The other captive is a dwarf but he didn't respond to my messages and I'm almost out of spells. They have us trapped individually in these boxes. Bound and gagged so we can't cast spells. I assume you were interviewing with Semndon about an apprenticeship? I...I think they're planning on ransoming us to Semndon if one of us is chosen for that apprenticeship."

Fuzzy alchemist
03-01-2008, 02:08 AM
OOC: sorry. My mistake.

Things begin falling into place as he hears that the other were up for the same job. Apparently bribes were not the only thing that was being used to insure the position. He had spells left, but as they were bound and gagged for now it did not matter. Trying to talk through his gag hoping that whatever was allowing the lady to talk to him was also helping her make out what he was saying, "If the dwarf is who I think it is it should be of great help to us, but he would have been taken shortly before I was and might have taken more damage. I will explain why I think we were taken later, but for now that is not a pressing concern."

Riftwalker
03-01-2008, 11:57 PM
"Are you able to escape your bonds?" the whispered voice replies. "And between us and maybe the dwarf if he's ok, do you have any spells that could aid us in our escape? If we attack together and surprise them, we may have a chance..."

Fuzzy alchemist
03-02-2008, 02:42 AM
He responds, "I do indeed have spells that might help. I shall try to free myself." He works against his bonds trying to slip them doing whatever he can think to try to get out.

(Taking 20 for a total of 20. If that does not work taking 20 on a strength check to try and burst them for a total of 18)

Riftwalker
03-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Over the course of the next few minutes, you slowly slip out of the rope. It is difficult as you do not have your full range of motion (due to being in a crate of some kind) and because you're trying very carefully to be quiet. Once your hands are free you are also able to remove the gag.

Meanwhile the voice continues to speak to you: "There were two when I was captured, but I think one left recently, so once you're ready we should make our move. There is something on top of the box I'm in but I haven't really tried to push open the lid yet.

I assume that our equipment is nearby, and we should attempt to aid the dwarf, if for no other reason than he can help us escape."

Fuzzy alchemist
03-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Once free he tells her, "I have slipped the bonds and am ready when you are. But what do you suggest we do if whatever is on top of these boxes is too heavy?" He got ready bracing his body to give a great a thrust as possible when it came time to break out.

Riftwalker
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
"I guess we're stuck here in that case. Once we push out of here, let's first deal with the kidnapper if she spots us. If not, let's have a look around to see if our equipment is near and to free the dwarf. Ready? One, two, three!"

DM Note: Roll a strength check. Since it's timed with the kidnapped woman's, don't take 20.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I got a total of 7 for the strength check.

Riftwalker
03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Kidnapped Woman's Strength Check

Riftwalker
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
The kidnapped woman successfully forces the top of her crate open and stands up.

"Come on! Get out of there!" she whispers loudly to you.

You hear her casting a spell.

"What the..." you hear another female voice say in surprise.

DM Note: Roll the following:
Initiative.
Another strength check to free yourself from the box.
If you wish, roll a spellcraft check to identify the spell the kidnapped woman is casting.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-03-2008, 01:44 PM
1 for strength check, 1 for initiative, 20 for spell craft. I am not rolling well today.

Riftwalker
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
You recognize the spell the kidnapped woman casts as Daze.

Kidnapper's Will Saving Throw
Kidnapped Woman's Initiative
Kidnapper's Initiative

Riftwalker
03-03-2008, 03:31 PM
The Kidnapper does not get to finish her sentence. You guess that the Daze spell had its intended effect.

"C'mon let's get you out of there!" the kidnapped woman yells as she runs over to your crate. You hear her quickly push a box off the top of your crate. "Ok try now!" (She readies her standard action to aid you as you push open the crate from the inside.)

DM Note: Now that the top of the crate no longer is weighted down, the DC of the strength check has been reduced, and with the kidnapped woman's aid, you get a +2 to the check.

(The kidnapper is dazed this round, so it is now your turn.)

Fuzzy alchemist
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I got a total of 13 for the strength check which I am assuming is a standard action and I will get up from prone which is a move action should the strength check be enough to get the lid off. Also as a free action he will say, "thank you. Sorry, I screwed up your plan though."

Riftwalker
03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
As you stand up you gaze about the room. It is a relatively small and dark room with no windows, a wooden floor. Piles of crates and boxes are behind you. On the table is a few sheets of paper, an inkpen and vial of ink, a few coins, some playing cards, a bottle of spirits, and a dagger. A few of the sheets of paper have some writing on it, but you cannot make out what they are. There is no sign of your equipment.

The woman that freed you is elven, though she has darker hair and paler skin than you would expect from a dawn elf. She has a typically slim elven build, and--like you--looks a little worse for wear, which you assume because she was roughed up while kidnapped and has been trapped in a crate for a while. "I assure you that all is forgiven if we make it out of here alive!"

You are T. The elven woman that helped (KW) you up is now at D4. (I didn't want to create another image for that one move.) The box she presumably broke free of is at 3B. The box that you assume Kuromath the dwarf ("K") is in is at 3C. The kidnapper is marked with a "W" (for woman) and is dazed this round at 5D.

The elven woman that freed you ("KW") spins around, looking at the still dazed kidnapper. She reaches out her hand, and the dagger on the table flies towards her hand. She catches it.

The kidnapper ("W") shakes off the daze and reaches for the dagger on the table that is no longer there. She looks momentarily confused, until she realizes that her dagger is now held by KW. "All right, easy then" she carefully phrases as she slowly walks to B5, presumably to escape. She picks up the bottle on the way, and holds it as if to throw it at either you or the elven woman.

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/rogues-basement.gif

Fuzzy alchemist
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Takuzei calls out to them while moving to 3C between the dwarfs box and the table, "You did not feel anything near the full power of my magics before, but you have seen what they can do in that rat you stole from me. Surrender and you will not be permanently harmed." He then readies an action to cast caltrops if she moves towards the stairs (I am assuming 6B is the bottom not 6D). He intends to cast the spell into her path so that she will land in the square after he casts the spell.

Riftwalker
03-05-2008, 03:11 PM
(Correct -- 6B is the bottom of the staircase, and it slopes upwards to 6D. There's a door between 6D and the square that would be 6E.)

The kidnapped woman plays into your threat. She drops her hands to below her waist. "You know, I think you might want to surrender like he says," she says as she raises her arms up at each side slowly. At four locations (6A, 6C, 4A, and 5D) dark, ominous, black figures slowly form, fading into reality, seeming to float up as they form in sync with her arms raising. As they form, more details become clear: they have two white slits for eyes, though the rest of the form is featureless. Each holds a longsword and looks ready to swing, though the longsword is simply part of the form and is as black and featureless as the rest of them. As the moment progresses the forms take on additional details that make them look increasingly dangerous: spikes sprout from their shoulders and helmets, and the blades of the swords become serrated. Their torsos expand and contract as if they were breathing.

The look on the kidnapper's face has changed from controlled to panicked. She swipes at the figure in 6A with the bottle. To her horror, the bottle passes right through the creature. You think you see the eyes of the creature flare and flash in what seems like rage, though it otherwise does not react.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Takuzei considered hitting her with acid splash for a moment, but then it occurred to him what would truly be scary for someone surrounded by those figures. If her first attack was ineffective then it would become much scarier when her strength was sapped away to such a point that she would not be able to defend herself as effectively. To that effect he casts ray of enfeeblement (touch attack rolled 17 for a -3 penalty if it hits) sending a glittering ray of darkness at the woman after a few quick words and odd gestures.

Riftwalker
03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
The ray hits kidnapper squarely in the back. Her form becomes slightly slumped, as if her head and arms suddenly became heavier. Her panicked look fades to that of defeat.

"Do you surrender now, or shall I order my minions to attack?" the elf yells. The four figures raise their longswords above their heads.

"I..." the kidnapper drops the bottle. "I surrender." She falls to her knees.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
He looks to the elf and says, "can your minion's insure she does not attack while I see if I can rouse the dwarf? I figure he deserves at least one more chance to escape with us and he might be useful if we run into others."
He would need to find a more lasting way to keep the woman controled, but for now that was a lesser concern.

Riftwalker
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
The elf's hands are still in the air, her thumbs and middle fingers pointed upwards while the rest of her fingers are splayed outwards. Her eyes closed, she nods slightly, but flashes you a look at the end of the gesture.

"Come, take a seat" she says firmly. The form at 5D moves to 3D to allow her to sit in the chair. As it moves you notice that it seems to pass through the table.

The kidnapper follows the order and sits down in the chair. Her movement appears arduous due to the effect of the ray.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Takuzei attempts to remove the weight and lid to the dwarf's box (assuming his was done like ours) taking ten on both checks should the first succeed.

Riftwalker
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
It takes you several moments to push the crate off of the one with the dwarf, and pop the lid off. You notice that the elf says nothing, maintaining her concentration on the forms she has summoned. The kidnapper looks up at one of the forms and then back down again quickly.

Once you have the top off you notice the dwarf, Kuromath, inside, asleep. He doesn't look terribly uncomfortable due to his smaller stature--he's sitting upright hugging his knees. He has a small area on his forehead that's swollen--likely due to a blow from the sap of one of the kidnappers.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Takuzei tries to shake the dwarfs body saying, "Wake up. Nap time is over and we have places we would rather be." Takuzei's tone was polite but loud enough to make sense for rousing someone from sleeping.

Riftwalker
03-07-2008, 12:53 PM
The dwarf is slow to wake up and appears confused at his situation sitting in a box looking up at you. "Takuzeh? Ohh meh head." He puts a hand up to his forehead squeezing it with his thumb and index finger as if he had a headache.

You hear a door close elsewhere in the building--in the direction of the door that leads to the upstairs (but not that door.) It appears that everyone else in the room did not hear it.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "Yes it is me and I wish I could do something about your head, but right now we have more pressing concerns. We have been kidnapped and I figured your magics would be more useful than mine in our escape." He looks to the elf and says, "Now that we have all the people we can either attempt to get our things or leave without them either way be preapared to have someone come in on us." looking to their captive he says, "What did you do with our things?" He was hoping that he was not going to have to threaten her, but if he did he would simply warn her about his rat coming back as a zombie and infecting other rats to do the same causing a pest problem that would eat them alive.

Riftwalker
03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Kuromath helps himself out of the box as you ask the kidnapper the question.

"They're...upstairs," she replies.

All of the sudden you hear the door to the basement open and a male voice from upstairs: "What the..."

"Riko!" the kidnapper yells.

Roll for initiative. (I'll redo the map next post.)

Fuzzy alchemist
03-07-2008, 11:23 PM
initiative roll

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Riko's (the male kidnapper) initiative
The female kidnapper's initiative
The elf's initiative
Kuromath's initiative

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 12:39 AM
The kidnapper woman ("W") yells "Riko, help me down here!" She stands up (though still looking weak due to your ray) and tries to punch at the form ("F") at 5C. Her hand flies right through the form.

Riko sees the form on the steps, and notices that it doesn't react to him--that it's an illusion. He looks down to see the situation and sees the other forms as well. "They're not real, Jin. They're not real!" He runs down the stairs right through the form there, around the corner (through another form) to the kidnapper woman. "Come on!"

Kuromath wastes no time. He waves his hands and murmurs something in what sounds like dwarven. A small glob of acid forms above his hand as he throws it overhand at Riko.

Kuromath's ranged touch attack
Damage roll

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 12:41 AM
The acid flies past Riko, hitting the staircase behind him with a hiss.

The elf opens her eyes and the forms instantly vanish. She attacks Riko with the dagger.

Attack roll
Damage roll

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 12:46 AM
The attack appears uncoordinated and completely misses.

Your turn!

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/rogues-basement2.gif

Fuzzy alchemist
03-08-2008, 01:03 AM
He laughs and says, "Do not worry you all. The rat they took from me should have risen by now and will bring the rest of the incorporeal swarm to feed on the living here. I can stop them from harming us, but it will provide reinforcements that can not be harmed by their means." He hoped that the kidnappers did not have a skilled enough grasp of magic to understand that kind of stuff was way beyond his skill and the others would understand what he was trying to do. He then casts acid splash targeting the man.

touch attack for acid splash
bluff to make them believe the thing about the rat in case it is needed

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 05:05 PM
The conjured acid misses the man, hitting the wall and making another hiss-like noise.

Jin attempts to jump up on the table.

Jin's Jump check

DM Note: there's two rounds left on the kidnapped woman's ("Jin") ("W") ray of enfeeblement, including this round.

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
She then attempts to kick you.

Attack roll
Damage roll (d3 - 2) is always 1.

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 05:09 PM
She misses!

Riko then swings the sap at Eluna.

Attack roll
Damage roll

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Eluna dodges the attack just in the nick of time. She counters by thrusting the dagger at Riko.

Attack roll
Damage roll

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 05:15 PM
The dagger lands squarely in Riko's side. He cries out in pain, as blood initially erupts from the wound through the fingers of his hand he reflexively places there.

Kuromath reacts to Jin's swipe at you by taking a swipe at her.

Attack roll
Damage roll

Riftwalker
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
His fist lands squarely in her kidney, and she groans in pain.

"Yeh know, yeh're outnumbehed, and this lad 'ere's got somethe reahly bad magic wit' teh rats 'es been werkin' wit'. Yeh might wanta consideh surrendehing."

Fuzzy alchemist
03-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Knowing that his options were low as he could not fight hand to hand without putting himself in too much danger, is unable to help the others better defend themselves, and only has one rather useless spell left (if my accounting is correct), he decides to play to the one strength he has left. He was going to try and elicit a surrender. He takes a 5 foot step back and begins weaving his hands in arcane gestures like the somatic component of a spell as he says, "We warned you all. It might take slightly longer, but the rituals allow us access to more powerful and flexible magics." He then begins speaking in the various obscure languages he knows making sure to include plenty of draconic and infernal for their harsh sounds. The gestures his goes through are the ones for the spells: necrotic cyst, parching touch, and ray of enfeeblement depending on how long the act is allowed to continue. In his speech he includes sylvan words hoping that they would be understood by the elf but in case they would also be understood by the kidnappers he made sure they fit with the concept of casting a ritual spell. The words included were, "Lend" and "magic". If she could create illusions perhaps she could use them to make his lie more believable and even conceal it as part of her joining in the ritual. He repeats the same parts over and over keeping his tone stable so that the chanting sounds better. He hoped that they knew enough about magic to be afraid of it and that they assumed anyone worthy of becoming an apprentice would have access to skills that would make them stand out.

((OOC: I figure that that takes up his standard action, but if not tell me. Also, it is up to you to decide if one can actually hide spells in fake rituals without messing them up, but if not she could still likely hide her magic by creating a false mage armor along with any effects that she might want to add to lend credence to his act. That would allow her to make it seem she was simply protecting him while she actually provided the special effects for his act. This all assumes she gets what he is going for. Also, where is the bottle? I might need to use it as a weapon if this blows up in my face.))

bluff check for fake ritual

Riftwalker
03-09-2008, 02:45 PM
(The bottle is at B5.)

"Ok, ok, we yield." Riko drops the sap and sits down. Jin disengages and steps towards him, trying to get a good look at his wound.

Kuromath--not realizing that you're bluffing--turns towards you, looking concerned. "They surrendehed, lad. It'd be dishonorable teh strike them now."

"How many more of you are there?" the elf asks, not dropping from her stance, in case their surrender is a ruse.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Takuzei slows down the chanting and eases out of the gestures keeping up the appearance of working with powerful magics that could not just be stopped abruptly. Takuzei smiles and says, "From what you have seen of my magics do they seem like they would lend themselves to what you consider honorable methods of use?" He goes to B5 and takes up the bottle in case it comes to fighting again. He would leave it to the elf to work on them for now and he would listen for any more danger coming.

Riftwalker
03-15-2008, 04:10 PM
The dwarf responds to you with an indignant grunt. "Meh issue is not wit' yer magic--though I canno' say I'm a fan of it--but wit' striking our foes after they've surrendehed."

"Just us two," Riko replies to the elf woman. He winces in pain as Jin attempts to more thoroughly survey his wound.

The elf woman kicks the sap back towards you while maintaining her eye on the two rogues. "So what was your plan for us then? Why kidnap us?"

DM Note: With the rogues subdued, you have a few options, here. You can search the area for your equipment, interrogate the rogues, kill them, simply leave, or do whatever you want. You can involve the elf woman or Kuromath if you like, or ignore them. At this point it's not clear who's "leading" between the three of you, so you could attempt to start leading the group, hang back and let one of them do it, or simply ignore them and leave them alone. What's your plan of action?

Fuzzy alchemist
03-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Well, the elf is questioning them so I can leave that to her. I will take up the sap since it will likely be a better weapon than the bottle. As for the two rogues' fates I can not have enemies surviving and these two pose little threat of being a problematic if brought back. I will eventually kill them, but might hold off a bit if I can think of proper storage procedures that would make them useful alive. He did mention "test subjects" before in reference to bringing people to the tower and people such as these would not likely be missed. I guess I will look around for our stuff but make sure to leave any doors open and check for sound barriers in case they are lying about their numbers. So, I will be looking for bindings and everyones stuff. Also, anything that looks like it might be valuable or interesting.

Takuzei looks to the others and says, "I am going to see if I can get our stuff. I will be right back. Fill me in on what you learn and listen for me to yell if I encounter others. That is if you all do not mind?" He had decided to drop the issue of the likelihood of him matching the dwarf's code of honor. His point had been that using his style of magic striking a someone while they were weak was the best way to do things. Basically Takuzei's "code of ethics", and that term is used loosely, did not mark such an act as wrong. He understood others did, but to him it was just a handy thing to do.

Riftwalker
03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
"That sounds like a good idea," the elf replies.

You walk up the stairs into a room of about the same size as the previous room where you were held captive. The floor is made of planks of wood, and like the room below you are under the impression that the building was designed for a more utilitarian purpose than to serve aesthetic sensibilities.

More boxes line the far wall of this room just had they had been in the previous room. There is a rectangular table with a few piles of items on it that you assume to be yours as well as Kuromath's and the elf's. The items were not kept separated--they were simply all tossed on the table and rummaged through. You do spot your cage underneath a cloak, and Kuromath's shield and axe propped up against the the side of the table. One way or another you could carry the lot of it all at once if you were inclined to do so. You could also go through it more carefully if you choose.

Directly in front of you is the door leading outside. There is a small window halfway down along the same wall, though its curtains are drawn and no light enters from the outside.

Fuzzy alchemist
03-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Takuzei will tap on the boxes to see if they are empty and to probe for a response from occupants if there are any. Should there be he will attempt to free them (unless there is some reason to be suspicious of one of them) otherwise he will take the stuff down to the others.

Riftwalker
03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
You find no prisoners by tapping on the boxes. Their contents are assorted. One box contains glassware and makes some "clink" noises as you tap it.

You reclaim your items (including your cage, though you notice your rat is missing) and head back downstairs to the others.

"Thank yeh" Kuromath tells you as he picks a few items out of the bundle, including his axe and shield. The dwarf takes the elf woman's place as she then reclaims her items.

"They're chumps." she says to you, her grey eyes simultaneously hot with fury and yet cold with indifference. "They captured us after we'd interviewed with Semndon, thinking that'd be the best time to nab a mage--after we'd expended ourselves during our interviews. They planned to hold us here until they found out whether one of us was selected to be the apprentice and if so, ransom us back to Semndon."

Fuzzy alchemist
03-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "How did you come to this conclusion? and more to the point is there any reason you know of to doubt it?" He wanted his rat back, but that could wait, especially because he might have two humans to experiment with shortly. He would inquire as to that later, but for now there were more pressing issues.

Riftwalker
03-22-2008, 10:24 AM
"I don't have any reason to doubt them, though I suppose it would've been possible for them to lie. But the story adds up so far, anyway." the elf woman replies. "What do you think?"

Fuzzy alchemist
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Takuzei shrugs and says, "I had an alternate theory, but I trust your abilities and mine has no basis on anything overly reliable." He then looks at their prisoners and says, "My cage is empty. I was going to do research on that body and now you have messed it up. I invested resources in making it and it therefore is of value to me. If you know where it went it will be one less test subject I will require and I imagine that if what the elf says is correct or my theory was correct no one would miss either of you." He hoped that they got his drift and would be afraid of meeting the same fate at his hands. He had no intention of sparing either of them, but he also could also use that rat.

Riftwalker
03-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Jin looks up at you, puzzled. "The dead rat? We didn't want it to..."

The elf interrupts before Jin finishes her response. "What *do* you think we should do with this scum? Turn them in? Kill them?"

Fuzzy alchemist
03-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Takuzei smiles and says, "As I said. No one would miss them and they are two healthy test subjects." He looks down at their wounds and says, "Well, mostly healthy." He looks back to the elf and says, "This structure seems sound and if they could store us here without fear of being caught it is likely no one will be searching it anytime soon." He swallows and continues, "I recommend that we take advantage of this situation and try experimental spells on them. We are both students and should not pass up such a wonderful learning opportunity especially when we can not be sure if our other prospect for a teacher decides against training us. Surely there are illusions you do not feel safe practicing on other people you know. Ones that would endanger the sanity of those that view the especially if it was done for an extended time. I can always use more people to practice my magics on and it was made clear that extensive research on people would require additional facilities during my interview. We have a basically free laboratory with two test subjects included." He was not too keen on sharing them, but he needed someone else to take watch when he slept and she seemed more likely to be amiable to his proposal than Kuromath and he really did need an extra lab if he was going to continue testing on people. This could be the start to a decent alliance that would insure that if either of them was accepted that they could both benefit.

Riftwalker
03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
The dwarf's jaw drops at the thought of your proposition, temporarily speechless.

The elf mulls it over. You can tell that she is considering it, but has some concerns. "What you suggest has its benefits, certainly. Presently we don't know who the owner of this warehouse is, or how long we would be able to use it before being discovered. We should find out who the owner is."

The two rogues look at each other; their worry starts to turn to panic.

Kuromath regains his composure. "I'd be more comfortehble handin' this scum over teh the authoritehs. They deserve much punishment fer what they did, but I thin' an end as yeh speak've it fer them far exceeds what I would consideh justice."

Fuzzy alchemist
03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Takuzei listens to what she had to say happy that someone here had the same vision that he did. He also listened to Kuromath and realized a new problem. He needed consent, even if it was only in turning a blind eye, from all of them for this to work. He could not discuss the ways of fixing it in front of him, but he was formulating ideas. For now he would work on the other issues. When the others finished talking he said, "I definitely understand that making sure that we would not be interrupted by the owner is important. I assume that the city has a public records house. Some place that would store copies of land tittles? An inquiry there could allow us to find out who owns this place and a few questions around town could tell us more about the owner, once we know who it is, and whether it will be returning anytime soon. If we should find that the chance of being discovered is beyond our comfort level we will discuss this in more detail and come to a conclusion. But we would need everyone to help out at least until the decision was made." He hoped that offering the possibility of simply turning them in would keep Kuromath from doing anything to disrupt their plans. Takuzei was getting the feeling he was a decently honorable person and would not betray them until it became necessary to satisfy his feeling of what was right. Half joking he looks over to the rogues and says, "You all would not know who owns this place and when they are returning would you?" He figured they would lie or at least refuse to answer, but it was worth a try.

Riftwalker
04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
"If we tell you, will you let us go?" Riko asks desperately.

Fuzzy alchemist
04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
He smiles and says, "At least he has the right idea. I do admire his ability to try and bargain with what he has." He was not talking to anyone in particular, mostly just himself. He continues now looking to Riko, "So, lets start bargaining. How about a promise that no permanent physical harm will come to you or the lady due to my experiments except for the possibility of death and a promise that I will not actively try to trap and torture your souls if your bodies die and in exchange you give me full details on the property and its owners without any deception or falsehoods?"


((ooc: If I remember correctly Riko is the guy if I got the genders switched it is a mistake and the general idea remains the same. Also, if he is going to lie to me you might need to roll things in secret so that I do not know if he is deceiving me or not. I mean even if I did I know and my character did not I would play to the character's perception, but still it avoids any bleed through.))

Riftwalker
04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
DM Note:
Ok so with the delays it's probably worth a run down of who everyone is (at least in this scene):

Riko = the male rogue. He's hurt from a dagger wound in the side.
Jil = the female rogue.
Kuromath = the dwarf
The elf has a name but you haven't asked or figured it out yet.

BTW - feel free to create a thread on the Semndon Apprentice board if you want to keep track of things. (And don't feel like there's pressure from me if you don't want to either.) I have a lot of information about a lot of things/plans/ideas/stats/arcs/etc. that I've been keeping track as files on my hard drive. (I'd post it but then that'd spoil the game! :))

It's probably not obvious to you (at least it shouldn't be, since that's sort of the whole point!) but I do a *lot* of rolling that you can't see. I usually have your character sheet opened in another tab (and a dice roller in yet another) so I can check modifiers for various things and make rolls. And for "public" dice rolls I use the dice roller built into the forums.

Ok, back to the game.

Incidentally, (and unfortunately) your intimidate action was unsuccessful (their opposed rolls were both higher.) They either didn't believe you (thinking you don't have it in you to kill them) or think that you probably could, but they were going to attempt a getaway to avoid that fate.


And, you just failed your spot check to notice Jin's hand moving underneath the table. So did the elf and Kuromath.

Jin (labelled "W" in the picture because you learned her name after I made the image and I forgot to update that) flings the table up at you in an attempt to escape with Riko.

Some Music (http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/fight2.html)

Initiative rolls:
The elf's initiative.
Kuromath's initiative.
Jin's initiative.
Riko's initiative.

Go ahead and roll two things: Your initiative and a reflex save to dodge the table. If you make the reflex save (DC = 12), you successfully avoid the flung table and can participate in this round. If you don't, it doesn't do much to hurt you--it just occupies you for a round.

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/rogues-basement3.jpeg

Fuzzy alchemist
04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Player note: I was not trying to intimidate them. That was an honest counter offer to his "let us go and we will tell you" proposal. I understand how that counter offer could have come off as a threat but his intention truly was to bargain with them. From his position them going from "test subject I can do whatever I want to" to "test subject that I have limited options with" was a decent concession. Now negotiations are all screwed up because they had to go and throw a table at him. And I was so looking forward to what Kuromath was going to say about all this. I could have hours of fun just with their interactions.

reflex save
Init

Riftwalker
04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
DM Note: Even if it was honest, weren't you still trying to get something from them (the information) when they have no real interest in helping you? Their reaction (to try to escape) was basically an impulsive one because you basically said you were going to keep them and probably kill them. I personally doubt they'll be getting away, but you've given them all the reason they needed to at least try to. (What would you personally have done in that situation? Wait and see?)
----

You're able to sidestep the table as it flies at you, landing partially upside-down behind you, propped up against a box.

The elf woman, runs towards the stairs, waiting for the rogues to make an escape for it and readying an action to stop them.

Kuromath, axe in hand lunges forward to also block their exit, also readying an action to stop them.

Riko attempts to run up the stairs, provoking an attack from Kuromath, an attack of opportunity from Kuromath if that misses, an attack from the elf woman, and an attack of opportunity from her if that misses as well.

Kuromath's Attack Roll
Kuromath's Damage Roll

Riftwalker
04-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Riko goes down, the axe hitting him squarely in the chest.

"Riko!" Jin yells. "Run!" he gasps!

Jin, right behind him, makes a break for it.

Kuromath's Attack of Opportunity
Kuromath's Damage

Riftwalker
04-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Kuromath narrowly misses Jin, but triggers the elf's attack.

Elf Woman's Attack
Elf Woman's Damage

Riftwalker
04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
The dagger hits her just below her shoulder, and she falls over.

Both rogues are dying; Riko is at -7 and Jin is at -1.

(Looking at the map, I also realized that you had an attack of opportunity that I accidentally skipped. My apologies. If you want to take this action, I can adjust.)

Fuzzy alchemist
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Player note: no that is ok. They are down either way. Also, I would have waited till the odds were better. An observant person would have picked up on the fact that at some point one or more of us was going to have to leave to do the research on the building evening up the odds and no one had rope that I knew of so one might leave to get that even sooner. It does not matter.

Takuzei runs over and says, "We must save them. Whether test subject or criminals with a rightful trial coming they need to be alive. Does anyone know how to fix them?" He then begins working on Riko as he seems most damaged. He hoped the other two would join in and help as he did not want to lose his lab rats. He had already lost one today and losing another two just after he got them would be bad. He made sure to word it so that both of the others would have a stake in bringing them back to life.

untrained heal check without proper tools

Riftwalker
04-04-2008, 08:33 AM
DM Note: Yeah, but on the other hand, they also know that most if not all of everyone's spells are used up for the day. The rogues aren't smarter than the three of you, and are in a stressful situation, so their impulsive flight response seemed reasonable.

Also, let's do away with the penalty for not having a healing kit. IIRC, a healing kit gives you a +2 bonus--it doesn't prevent a -2 penalty.

Either way, the check is too low to heal Riko.

Kuromath had already picked up most of his belongings, and happened to have had a potion of cure light wounds. He nudges you out of the way of Riko. "Let's give this eh try..."


The elf runs to the pile of belongings on the floor and locates her healing kit. She rushes back to Jin, and attempts to bind the wound.

Potion of Cure Light Wounds on Riko
The elf's Heal check on Jin with a healing kit.

Riftwalker
04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Riko has stabilized at -4 hit points. The elf is unsuccessful at binding Jin's wounds, and she is now at -3 and falling unless she makes her stabilization check. Otherwise she's at -2.

Jin's Stabilization check

Riftwalker
04-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Jin stabilizes at -2. Both rogues are unconscious, lying at the bottom of the stairs.

Fuzzy alchemist
04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "Well, that was foolish of them, but points out a need if we keep them. Manacles and locks can be obtained in the morning so that we can assure that no matter their fate they do not escape it. We will need to set up watches in the meantime to insure that no one comes to free them and they do not try to escape. To that end I need about an hour to retrieve my belongings so that I might be prepared for my shift on watch."

Riftwalker
04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
"And let's not forget that today is the day that Semndon is supposed to announce who he has selected to be his apprentice," the elf reminds you. "I at least am interested in seeing who he has selected--though I don't suppose he'll be announcing that until later..." (she yawns, a bit tired) "... in the day."

"Did you still want to keep our friends here around? We should either tie them up or turn them into the guard and be rid of them. And we still need to determine who owns this place if we plan to dwell here."

Kuromath speaks up. "I'll be blunt wit' yeh: I want no part've any of this. I don't care if stay here, or whether these two die, but--I've seen yer magic, Takuzei, and et wouldn't sit right wit meh teh have yeh endlessly subjecting these two teh that, and meh not doing anything teh prevent it. They deserve death, but not endless torture. So I'd like teh decide right now what your intentions really are."

Fuzzy alchemist
04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
He decides to reguard the elf first and likely answer Kuromath's question in the process. He says to her, "You are correct. For tonight we can store them the same way they stored us. We will just have to make sure that we seal the containers better. There are more boxes upstairs if we need more weight. We can both rest up and check who got the appointment then meet back here at halfway between mid day and sunset to further discuss obtaining this place. That should give us plenty of time to get done what we need to. Both of us can use what channels we have to find out who owns this place and how best to obtain it should we come to that decision." Then turning to Kuromath he continues, "It is my intention to keep these test subjects. They gave up their rights the moment they attacked. Then when I tried to negotiate as though they were civilized they attacked. I gave them a chance to be treated better and they turned it down. I understand if you have no intention of joining in our research and am sorry if our philosophies clash. To answer your question as bluntly as you put it. My intention is to keep them as long as it is profitable and use them to advance my magics. I will work with the lady as long as she is willing to work with me and will not betray her as long as she extends the same courtesy. You wish to stop me and I understand that, but I have nothing against you. If you do not want to work with us that is fine, but please do not try and stop our work." His tone remained polite, but firm. He honestly did not want to fight Kuromath and was willing to take the risk that he might betray them if his hands were not dirtied with the same blood as theirs. It was a considerable amount of trust for him to put into a stranger, but he hope that the stranger would return his show with one of his own and allow their work to go unimpeded.

Riftwalker
04-06-2008, 04:44 PM
The dwarf turns, about to leave. (You can engage him in further conversation if you like, but if you do not, he walks out the door.)

The elf turns to you. "'Takuzei' I believe it is? What a charming name." She smiles, betraying a mixture of both friendliness and amusement. "I shall give you the courtesy of my name as well: Eluna."

"Know that my plans for this place largely depend upon whether or not I am chosen to be Semndon's apprentice. And of course, there's still the little matter of who owns this place. How about this: let's properly secure these two. Then, you go collect your belongings like you mentioned from before. I'll stay here and make sure they stay put for an hour--be sure to bring some food back--I'm absolutely starving. Once you're back we'll figure out what to do next. We both could use some sleep though, and we also need to check on who Semndon selected as an apprentice." She yawns again, clearly tired.

Fuzzy alchemist
04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Takuzei nods and begins to move the lighter of the two bodies towards the box that he had been stored in while saying, "I understand and appreciate you working with me. I should be able to make it back with food, but if I run late it is because I had to try other places. I will do my best to get back as quickly as possible once we are finished with these two."

Riftwalker
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Go ahead and give me a run-down of how you secure the bodies, just so I know.

Are you planning on heading back to the Spell and Slumber first? Let's assume that it's currently 4:00 AM and still dark.

Fuzzy alchemist
04-13-2008, 12:23 AM
I am indeed heading back to the spell and slumber once I am finished preparing the bodies. I place them inside of the boxes that they had us in and weigh down the tops with the heaviest boxes I can find that will not kill us to lift and will not crush the boxes that the people are in. I will position some of the glass object that were in the boxes upstairs around the one that are now occupied by the people so that they will either crush them making a sound or if they are rounded will slide on them making it hard to escape unnoticed.

Riftwalker
04-14-2008, 11:42 AM
The glass objects are actually glassware. The box that you took them from also contains some beakers and vials that could be used to make potions. Several of the boxes appear to be filled with similar items. Should you ever want to brew some potions or do a little alchemy you think the glassware might come in handy.

You leave Eluna in the basement and make your way up to the street. The entrance from the top room of the warehouse opens to the street level on an alleyway. You find your way out of the alley to the street, taking note of the surroundings so that you'll be able to find your way back. You quickly figure out that the warehouse is a few blocks north from where you attacked, which was not very far from Semndon's tower. After getting your bearings you head towards the Spell and Slumber.

It is not yet dawn, but the east sky is slightly brighter than the west. The street-light orbs still glow. You arrive at the Spell and Slumber to see Vera (the plump woman that you initially met when you signed into the inn) hanging up a banner above the entrance to the Spell and Slumber that reads "Happy Midsummer!"

"Oh hello there, Takuzei" she greets you. "A late night? You look tired! I wouldn't have guessed you were the raucous type and would stay out all night! Babbage mentioned something about you preventing a fiasco, earlier." Her voice lowers to a whisper. "Those tieflings are more trouble than they're worth... Thanks for taking care of it." The volume of her voice returns to normal. "You're leaving us today, aren't you?"

Fuzzy alchemist
04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "A very late night, but quite productive as well. I am indeed leaving today. I found a colleague and might be setting up my own laboratory within the city. I also presented myself for an apprenticeship which I feel is quite promising. All in all a good night. I will still keep this place in mind if my other plans fall through. Despite my odd hours I much enjoyed my stay." His tone carried a delighted tone to it as he was really quite satisfied with how the night went. Yeah, he was assaulted and could have died, but he had gained so much more. He had food upstairs and he could ask about finding more for Eluna at this hour when the conversation allowed, but there was no reason to rush to that portion of it.

Riftwalker
04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Vera smiles, glad to hear of your good fortune. "I believe you're in just in time for breakfast. Sann's about to do his rounds for meal-cards. If you hurry, you can catch him."

Riftwalker
04-17-2008, 04:24 PM
XP has been overdue. The next time Takuzei goes to sleep for 8 hours, apply the experience point awards:

Thinking to and catching a rat at the docks: 50 XP
Use of Prestidigitation to clean yourself before the interview: 25 XP
A terrific interview with Semndon: 250 XP
Backstory XP (Undead book at the library in Brier Patch): 50 XP
Good answer to Semndon's question about what the Draconic phrase on his tower means: 50 XP
Backstory XP (Origination of zombie flesh/disciple/Toma/Harru/Sam): 50 XP
Identification of alchemical silver during Semndon's tour: 50 XP
Freeing yourself with Eluna / Kuromath: 50 XP
Subduing Riko and Jin: 300 XP
Good role playing throughout: 200 XP Total: 1075 XP

Fuzzy alchemist
04-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Takuzei nods and says, "Thank you." before rushing up stairs to gather his old meal and replace the card in time for breakfast. The combination would allow him to bring food for Eluna and still eat himself. He would have to gather beverages before he left, but still it was a start.

Riftwalker
04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
You rush up the stairs and hustle to your room, managing to get inside and lay claim to the tray of food. It appears that Babbage sent you a bottle of wine with a small note on it ("Thanks!") with last night's meal of bread, soup, carrots, and cabbage. Due to having sat out throughout the night, the bread is slightly hard, and the soup, carrots, and cabbage are room temperature, but everything otherwise looks ok.

Fuzzy alchemist
04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Takuzei makes sure to deposit the meal card for breakfast in the slot and close the door so that he could have some privacy. He ate the dinner while he made sure to collect all of his stuff packing it into his sack. He saved the bread and wine because they were easy to transport and hoped that breakfast would hold more easily transported food items. His mind wandered planing out the lab and the future that the combination of his training under Semndon and the possession of his own lab could lead to.

Riftwalker
04-21-2008, 05:15 PM
(Sann will not open the door nor knock on it when he comes by, so you won't have any way of knowing whether or not he's come by. Let's just assume that he comes by within a couple minutes of you closing the door and placing the meal card in the slot, so that the next time you open your door, the breakfast is there for you--it came while you were eating.)

Fuzzy alchemist
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Once he finishes with his packing he checks to see if the food has shown up and what portions of it will travel well. If he could find ways to make enough of it travel it would save him having to stop elsewhere.

Riftwalker
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
As you peer out the door, you spot the tray that Sann left for you. On it rests an apple, a small bunch of green grapes, two muffins the size of your fist, and a cup of the spiced tea that you recognize as being of the same type that was served earlier.

Fuzzy alchemist
04-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Takuzei packs up the food items trying to situate them within the sack so that they would not be damaged. He sips the tea enjoying it because something like that really should be enjoyed. Once he was finished he headed back down and thanks them for having him.

Riftwalker
04-22-2008, 08:02 AM
As you make your way to the stairs to walk down to the floor level, you pass the tiefling's rooms. Though you hear nothing, you see a quick flash of reddish light emanate out from underneath one of their doors.

Babbage and Vera are both looking over some papers when you arrive in the lobby area. They look up to see who you are as you cross the silence barrier, and smile upon recognizing you. "I trust you enjoyed your stay?" Vera asks, looking hopeful but not overly so. "Today is the Midsummer holiday! Be sure to enjoy yourself!"

Fuzzy alchemist
04-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "Yeah I loved my stay here. If I ever have colleagues or students visit I will recommend that they stay here." Then the last part of their statement sunk in and his smile faded slightly. It was midsummer holiday. That meant people would be celebrating and the records offices would be under staffed if they were even open. This did not bode well for his plans for the day, but it was not a total loss. Crafts people would be out and about and that meant he would be able to put in orders for supplies for the lab without too much trouble assuming they got it off the ground. He decided to verify this concept with them, asking, "Do you know where the property records would be held and if they would be open today? It just occured to me that they might allow their staff to enjoy whatever celebrations accompany the midsummer holiday."

Riftwalker
04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Vera pauses, thinking for a moment, before Babbage interjects. "The government building next to the palace handles things like that. Remember dear? That's where we had to go when we first purchased the Spell and Slumber?"

"Oh yes why of course." She gives you directions to the building. It's just south of the center of the city.

Fuzzy alchemist
04-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Takuzei says, "Thank you and I hope the two of you get a chance to enjoy the midsummer holiday." He then heads back to the build that might well become his laboratory.

Riftwalker
04-25-2008, 10:35 PM
As you return to the laboratory you walk by many people getting ready for the holiday celebration. Some are getting their carts ready for business, others are hanging strings of flowers over the streets from the tops of buildings.

(If you want to make either a Gather Information check to talk with some people on the way or an untrained Knowledge: Local check (usually not allowed but I'll allow it since you *are* from nearby), go ahead and roll and I'll give you some more information about the festivities planned for the day.)

The sun is barely visible in the morning sky to the east as you walk back to the warehouse.

You arrive to find Eluna barely still awake watching the crates. "Oh good, you're back. I was going to give you another 15 minutes or so before I jetted out of here to find somewhere to sleep. Did you bring any food? I'm starving."

Fuzzy alchemist
04-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "Yeah. It is not a lot but it is better than nothing and I figured speed was more important than quantity. I also have some wine if you need to drink something." He sets to food and drink in the table and tries to plan out the day to account for time to let her sleep, check to see who got the position, check to see who owned the property, etc.

Riftwalker
04-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Eluna quickly devours everything you bring. She clearly hadn't eaten in a while. Though still clearly tired, the fruit and muffins have clearly strengthened her. "Thank you, Takuzei." She sips from the bottle of wine, and her face sours into a look of disgust. She sets the bottle away from her on the table, signaling that she doesn't want any more but she doesn't comment on it further.

"So, what's the plan, then? Who knows when Semndon is going to announce his apprentice, but we have a few hours. It is unfortunate that one of us needs to watch the goons, otherwise we could rest or go about our business in parallel. Sure you don't want to just off them?"

Fuzzy alchemist
05-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Takuzei was not sure what to do. Keeping people without the proper equipment was difficult, but he was not sure he would be able to convince her to collect more once they were set up. The rationalization that they were simply taking advantage of a situation that fell into their laps and only hurting people who hurt them might mean something to her. She might not be quite ready to simply use people who had done nothing to them. These might be the gateway kills she needed to make the next step. Once you make the rationalization to kill the first few the next ones become easier. You show yourself that life has no intrinsic value by killing the first ones then when you need test subjects you needn't worry about the moral issues in killing people. Or you rationalize the step from those actively harming others to those doing it passively to those just not contributing enough, and so on. No matter how you work it the downside to killing is lessened as you do it more and the first one is needed to make that step. The same was true of all crimes no matter their nature. So, while she might be willing to kill those who had harmed her as a summery execution she might not be willing to replace them quite yet and he could not use up all of his resources capturing them alone. He tries to get a read on her both through logical assessment of what he knows of her and through intuition.

((OOC: Sense motive to get a read on her and if you allow it, an intelligence check to see if I can put things together better.))

sense motive check
intelligence check

Riftwalker
05-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Based on your reading of Eluna thusfar, you're not sure how she'd react in a situation involving taking the lives of those who hadn't wronged her somehow, but you suspect that she probably would not be ok with it.

(If you're trying to sway her to a more evil disposition, it'll have to be done with small baby-steps down a slippery slope (like you allude to) or through some life-changing event.)

Fuzzy alchemist
05-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Takuzei thinks for a moment and says, "No, I think it would be a waste to allow two test subjects to be terminated while they are still useful for experiments. Waste not, want not. I would show the same concern for our other test subjects as well. It will keep down costs when we work together if we do not kill the subject unnecessarily." It would make his schedule tight, but it was worth it.

Riftwalker
05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
"Alright," Eluna responds. "I do need to sleep now, however. I'm very tired." The area around her eyes is slightly swollen--she looks tired. "Thanks for the food. I'll be upstairs for a few hours."

(Unless you bring something else up or follow her, she walks upstairs.)

Fuzzy alchemist
05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Takuzei decides to take the time he has to begin taking inventory of the supplies that were around so that he knows what he is going to need to obtain if they take this place and keep his mind occupied. He keeps his crossbow and ammunition handy in case the captives should try to escape. Once he finishes he indulges in thought experiments about how the theories of magic he had heard. While he might not have given much credence to the dwarfs theory before there was nothing wrong with taking a few moments to see if it worked. He was glad to have found someone who was at least willing to give his methods a chance. From what he could tell this city was not the most friendly to his ideas on morality.

Riftwalker
05-15-2008, 09:02 AM
(What do you mean by taking a few moments to see if the dwarf's theory worked? Are you performing some action or merely thinking?)

You survey the contents of the room, finding the following:


Sap
Bottle of spirits
(Eluna has the dagger from earlier, as well as her own equipment.)
7 Sheets of Paper

2 look to be draft versions of a ransom note with misspellings and words crossed out.
1 looks to be the final version of the note that was started but not finished.
3 are ruined due to the vial of ink spilling onto them when the table was flipped
1 is still blank and usable


Inkpen
(The vial of ink spilled when the table was overturned.)
Coins (23gp, 64sp, 23 cp) (29.63 gp total)
Playing cards (instead of the usual spades/hearts/diamonds/clubs the suits are harvester/green man/lady of flowers/wild lord)
Glassware (bottles, beakers, etc.) - Not quite a full alchemy lab worth of equipment but will grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Craft (Alchemy) checks. You'd have to carry 20 lbs. of the glassware to merit this bonus. (Carrying 1 or 2 bottles won't cut it.)
The rest of the boxes appear to be dinnerware (cups, plates, bowls, forks, knives, spoons). The dinnerware has many different styles, but these come in two basic varieties, neither of which you recognize as local: one family of styles is plain, durable, and not intricately decorated. The second is the opposite being very baroque in style but also seeming significantly more fragile.
And of course, the overturned table and the two chairs.

Based on your intelligence, you determine that since the warehouse is far away from the docks (relatively near the center of the city), that the goods are not being stored so they can be exported; rather the warehouse probably serves as a location where a merchant or group of merchants stocks their wares for local distribution.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Nope, no action. Just thinking. He does not have enough information for a true thought experiment, but he is not going to simply spend his time twiddling his thumbs.