PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread



Pages : 1 [2]

Riftwalker
05-16-2008, 07:10 AM
So at this point, Eluna is upstairs sleeping for a few hours. It's still morning--let's say 7:00 AM. If you're going to hang out or sleep for a few hours, let me know and we can advance the clock. Or (of course) if you're going to do something, that works too--just let me know and we can play it out.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-19-2008, 03:15 PM
I can skip sleeping as it still has not been too long since I did so. So, once Eluna is awake I can jot out to check on who got the position and get a few sets of restraints for the test subjects. I am going to take the money so that it can supplement my own funds in buying the restraints. It is becoming more evident that this building is not going to be ignored for as long as I had hoped, merchants do not ignore their warehouses for long. So, I may end up needing to move the test subjects elsewhere shortly. Before I leave I will explain my conclusions to Eluna about what this place seems to be and about it not being a good place to squat for long and not a likely thing for them to sell. I will encourage that we look into it but until then we need to make it seem as though we had not been there if the owners return. To that end I am going to go about cleaning up so that there are no obvious signs that we had been there except for the people in the boxes which being a warehouse having boxes on boxes is not that odd and should not raise suspicion. This is also pushing to cost benefit ratio of keeping them alive to a less advantageous position and I am definitely considering disposing of them altogether until we can set up a proper lab somewhere. But to deal with our current problem I am going to recommend that we keep a box on top of their box and boxes around them to avoid allowing the box on top to be pushed off in any direction. I do not wish to disturb her while she sleeps.

Riftwalker
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
(First, the response to your set of questions in the other thread.)

As someone that lived relatively nearby, you have a passing commoner's understanding of local information. You won't be able to cite paragraph numbers of legal documents or anything like that, but the types of things you're asking are well-within bounds.

Adverse Possession Laws: There are none. The low population and large amount of land has resulted in few incidents of situations where these laws would apply. These incidents have been handled on a case-by-case basis by the local government.

Sewer system: There is a sewer system underneath the city, but it is not as extensive as you would expect a modern sewer system here on Earth to be. There are a series of shallow tunnels (3 or 4 feet high) that run parallel to the major streets and flow outwards. Rainwater keeps the system flowing and prevents most odors, and the system was created to make use of gravity (similar to ancient Roman aqueducts if you're familiar with those). It would not be impossible to gain entry to the sewer system. You might need a key to get in through the maintenance opening. It's possible (though not necessarily very clean) to get in other ways as well. You could also gain entry at the edge of the city where the water/sewage exits the system.

Justice System: The city employs guards, though not a numerous number. (Perhaps 100 total.) Crime is relatively low or under the radar of the authorities. The people of Ebernath have had relatively good luck with their rulers insofar as level-headed justice is served towards criminals. Punishments are harsh and for the most part serve as a deterrent against criminal behavior. The prince's word is the final one in terms of judgement. He (or one of his subordinates for less important crimes) assigns sentencing.

If someone is accused of a crime, the guard will likely take them to jail to await a trial and sentencing. They're reasonably effective at bringing in the accused, but have limitations due to their numbers and lack of magic. The druids or other members of the Panthic Order might also aid if the quarry is particularly threatening or difficult to find and the crime is major. Occasionally, bounty-hunters are also employed.

It is common knowledge amongst magic-users that summoning demons is prohibited. The government does not have much experience with undead (other than tales) and there are no decrees forbidding magic involving undead. (However, there certainly could be such a decree should the existence of undead within the city walls be brought to the attention of the government.)

The type of sentence Takuzei would receive largely depends on the circumstances. If, say, he captured Riko and Jin, ran some experiments on them that left them disfigured, in pain, tortured, insane, dead, undead, or some combination of the above, he might get a slap on the wrist (and maybe a several-hundred gold fine) the first time. After all, (1) they did attack you, (2) they're not important, (3) they're criminals, (4) the prince is currently attempting to encourage magical research (as Semndon told you). They might forbid you from pursuing such research in the future. And if you went against the prince's word then that'd be a bit more serious.

Ownership Laws: There's no reason why Takuzei couldn't own property. You could do whatever you wanted with that property so long as you also simultaneously followed the laws of the land.

Also - I feel the need to remind you that I'm not *trying* to prevent you from setting up a hidden laboratory (in case you had that perception). But I won't just toss one in front of you either. If you take the necessary and somewhat "realistic" steps to establish one, then you deserve it. :)

I sort of envision this game as a bit of a sand-box and so if you want more information about any of these topics (or others) let me know and I'll fill you in on them.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Oh, I understand. These are just the sorts of things that some one would have to deal with in his position and if he did not have to work for it some it would not mean as much. And as long as you do not mind the story going off on this tangent a while it is not a problem. His last lab was a set of caves in a volcano so he is not going to be picky about where they are located. The sewers might even be more home like to him. Though at this rate I am thinking he is likely to lose his lab assistant or at the very least his test subjects. That answers the questions I have for now. I just wanted to see what I was getting myself in for.

I think it is equally important for me to point out that I am not trying to derail your campaign. We will get back to the main storyline eventually. Just this seemed a wonderful opportunity to flex his evil muscles and gain something that would easily become a useful story element. One must imagine that if he has his own lab it is something he cares about and it allow for another origin for plot hooks other than Semndon ordering him to do it. Plus, when he makes enemies it will be easier for them to attack his lab rather than Semndon as I imagine he protects his. Also, as to getting to flex the evil side of his personality, I figured he would have to play the good student for at least a little while to gauge how Semndon would take his actions and being blatantly evil like he is now would stretch the credibility of Semndon keeping him as an apprentice for long. No matter how tolerant he might be of other ways of thinking I doubt he would turn a blind eye to torture in his home. Once they get to know each other Takuzei will know how far he can go while not making it seem forced that Semndon is keeping him as a student. I mean that is still the main thread for this story and doing things to show that parts are forced into place is never good.

Edit: Actually I came up with another question. Necropolises? Do they have them and do I know where they are? And are there laws against violating corpses? Even if they do not know much about undead there might still be taboos about messing with the dead.

Riftwalker
05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't mind tangents in the slightest! And I wouldn't be offended or disappointed if Takuzei never showed up to Semndon's tower again. I don't consider it a derailment, because the story follows Takuzei, not the other way around. Takuzei should follow his own agenda and motivations, and if those don't include the apprentice arc, that's all well and good. If that means either never being an apprentice, or even leaving during the apprenticeship due to conflicts with Semndon, that's all fine. Takuzei's actions and motivations shouldn't be affected by meta-gaming what the DM wants (not that you're doing this... just saying). And as the DM I'm not "out to get you" if you don't play the way I expect--I'm interested to see what direction you go in with things.

That said, tutelage as an apprentice is a good way to gain magical knowledge, and unless he's stubbornly arrogant, my guess is that Takuzei realizes that and will capitalize on the opportunity. Even if he secretly detests Semndon (I don't think that's the case--Semndon has had one of the most open-minded reactions to Takuzei's magic, after all) I still think Takuzei has much to gain under him. And that's not intended to goad or convince you into following the apprenticeship either. I would be surprised if Takuzei didn't end up following up with Semndon, but not disappointed.

As it stands now, Ebernath (due to the Panthic Order) is "the place to be" if you're a magic user. But, despite its cosmopolitan nature, undeath and necromancy are foreign concepts to the magic-users in Ebernath (and thus most of the world). There are areas of the world where undeath is not unknown. If you're curious (as a player, not in character) I'll tell you more. Otherwise, I'll introduce them as parts of the story if Takuzei seeks out such places.

I don't think I would consider any of these places necropolises, per se. However, that doesn't mean that necropolises couldn't come about. If Takuzei plays a role in that, it sounds like something worthy of a legend point.

As for "violating" corpses I think it would be handled as more of a property crime. If you dig up a corpse from a graveyard, it's theft (from the family of the deceased). If you experiment on it, that could be considered vandalism.

Now that said, it's more or less human nature to not hang around dead people. Corpses are buried or cremated because decomposition isn't pleasant to be around. Grieving is a painful process for those that survive the deceased, so Takuzei is not likely to find approval for wanton corpse desecration. I would consider the taboos on par with what they are in the real world, substituting whatever religious rituals for their functional equivalents in the Dawnforge universe. That make sense?

Fuzzy alchemist
05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
What you said makes sense, but I think we had a misunderstanding. When I said "necropolises" was not meaning true cities of the dead where they wander around and rule things. I was simply asking about graveyards or any central location for disposing of the dead. There might be occasions when Takuzei does not want to have to kill someone fresh and might find it easier to dig up someone. Based on what you said the most likely options are charnel houses and family plots as there is a lot of room and cremation is used sometimes. While charnel houses would be useful I am getting the feeling that these are not the sort of people to lease grave spots like it used to be done. They would either feel that they have enough room or just cremate the bodies. I guess the real question is where is the Corpses "R" Us store? Kidding of course but you get the idea. It is not particularly important at the moment and he could likely pull out a compass when he is looking at the plans in the property office to figure where the most optimally located lot is for him and aim for something there. He does have experience obtaining land that others own.

Also a simpler more organized explanation of Takuzei's actions in the warehouse.


Do inventory
Figure out what this place is
Decide that it might not be abandoned long and might not be for sale
Clean up taking money in the process
Organize boxes to avoid having the test subjects get out
If time permits play solitaire with cards
Explain conclusions to Eluna once she wakes
Obtain her response and take actions determined based on her response checking who got the position with Semndon in the process.

I added the play solitaire part, but I do not figure he would have time anyway. I figured my previous post was not particularly clear on how he was going about things and thought this might help. He is of course keeping his attention on the prisoners as well so as to not be caught off guard.

Riftwalker
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Ah sorry about the necropolis confusion. I sort of took the fantasy definition and had assumed you meant that.

One of the first druidic barrow mounds is just south-west of Ebernath. Some of the first druids of the Panthic Order were buried here. However, barrow mounds are considered "old-fashioned" and these days most people are buried in graves and mausoleums in graveyards. There is a large graveyard just out of Ebernath to the south-east, and several smaller ones are located in the city. It is common knowledge that the palace also maintains a crypt. As you might expect, the graves/sarcophagi of the wealthy are more elaborate than less well-to-do.

Graveyards, like the rest of the land in Ebernath, are owned by a specific person/family or is public property. If you want a detailed list of graveyards, or if you're attempting to seek out a graveyard that meets some criteria there are a few ways you could determine this information.

Unless you choose to disturb her, Eluna's out for 8 hours. You're able to accomplish everything on your list without interruption. Once you hear a quiet moan coming from one of the crates. You also manage to finish your latest two spells in your spellbook (the ones you gain hitting level 2--let me know which you choose) and fit in a couple games of solitaire.

Eluna wakes at 3:00 PM and wanders downstairs. She listens as you tell her what you think the place is. She listens intently and agrees with your conclusions.

"So at this point, we still need to find out who owns the place and from there we can look into making it a more permanent thing or at least determine how long we can safely stay here. And I definitely want to check on who got the apprenticeship as soon as possible, though it doesn't have to me be that goes over to the tower.

How's this: give me an hour to prepare spells, and then I'll run over to the tower and come back with some food. Then you can sleep and we can find who owns this place tomorrow. I doubt there will be much need for restocking plates from the warehouse today anyway."

(In general, with regards to learning spells, I'd like to have a rough idea what spells you're researching as part of being a hedge wizard before you select them at level up. That way, if necessary, I can weave in your research into the story-line a bit. For example, since no one in Ebernath knows any undead-themed spells, it would be odd for you to select Command Undead as a new spell as a 3rd level wizard without sacrificing some of the verisimilitude of the setting. (It doesn't make sense for you to know how to command undead if you haven't met any!) It's ok to change your mind halfway through the level, and we can work out any snags on a case-by-case basis. Let me know if this is agreeable.)

Fuzzy alchemist
05-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Takuzei nods his agreement and says, "That should be fine except I figure if one of us is chosen, something highly likely from what I have seen, we might need to explain why we are not moving in and beginning work sooner. I figure you can come up with something, but you might want to give it thought beforehand so you can work it all out before he starts questioning it if you decide not to tell the truth. If you lie remember to tell me so that I might match it. when I next talk to him. Even if I do not get the postion I will want to ask why so that I know what I need to improve."

((Here is a list of a few spells I wish to obtain in the future: Shivering touch (first and third levels), kelgore's grave mist (second level), escalating enfeeblement (second level), Chill touch (first level), wither limb (second level), heat leech (second level), stolen breath (second level), Desiccating bubble (second level), Desiccate (second level). Most of them can be explained as either being assisted by study from his home (a waste environment), Semndon's liking of cold and darkness, and his study of necromantic energy. I will not necessarily take all of them, so you might even use some of the ones that seem Semndon's style for him and I can copy them later instead of when I gain a level. I will likely leave the ones with the cold subtype for being studied under him as Takuzei has not likely had much experience with frost up until now. So, my spell for second level will be chill touch (pure necromantic energy), shivering touch at 3rd level assuming that I am actually training under him at the time, maybe summon undead at 4th.))

Riftwalker
05-28-2008, 03:04 PM
"Don't take this the wrong way, Takuzei, but if Semndon accepts me as his apprentice you might be on your own with this place. His apprentice receives quarters and laboratory space as part of the arrangement, remember? That seems more than sufficient for me presently."

She turns to walk upstairs (unless you have something further to say to her) presumably to prepare spells for an hour and then visit Semndon's tower.

Fuzzy alchemist
05-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "That was always part of the understanding and we will cross that bridge when we come to it."

Riftwalker
06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
(Ok, sorry for the delay.)

Are you just hanging out for 2-3 hours before she comes back? Let me know if you're doing something in particular. A post with Eluna returning is forthcoming.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Well, he can not risk going much of anywhere without making her think that he is neglecting the prisoners. I am rather sure they would be secure without a guard as they would have to lift quite a bit of weight a distance further than they could likely manage, but we would not want to give her the impression that he is not going to see to his duties. So, I guess he will be hanging around. Likely studying his spells and practicing his somatic forms.

Riftwalker
06-02-2008, 04:40 PM
The time passes without incident. About three hours later, you hear Eluna make her way down the stairs. Her arms hold a bundle of of things, though her steps are graceful and light, making little noise. When she rounds the corner, you can see that her expression is one of humility and disappointment. One hand holds two carrots and turnips by the tops. In her arms is a small loaf of bread and a bottle of water. She holds out her other hand to you. It bears a note.

"Congratulations, Takuzei." she says.

She sits at the table and pushes a carrot, turnip, and half the bread towards you.

It reads:


To all candidate apprentices:

I would like to thank all of you for interviewing for the position of my apprentice. All of you have incredible talent and the decision was very difficult to make.

In the end, I have selected Takuzei Gojyo to be my apprentice.

To Takuzei: Please stop by my tower at your convenience. However, know that I will be pre-occupied on the day of the festival and also the following day.

To others: I encourage you to seek out other wizards in the Panthic Order that are offering apprenticeships. Ebernath and the Panthic Order contain many other wizards willing to teach you the art. I wish you the best in your pursuits of the arcane.

With kind regards,

S

Semndon of Ebernath

Fuzzy alchemist
06-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Takuzei reads the note and smiles saying, "Well, this is wonderful news for me but I am very sorry you were not chosen. It seems I have tomorrow free as well as the rest of the day, so I can do some leg work on getting the lab if you are still interested. The note does mention that others might be looking for people and I would understand if you chose to take up applying with them as a full time job." Another thought occurred to him but he did not speak of it. He mauled it over as he began munching on his carrot. There were a lot of low level mages out there right now that would be coming here to learn magic. That meant a lot of people on the streets getting rejected and looking for alternatives. It would be much easier to defer the cost of a lab between 100 people than it would only 2 plus it would allow for a less taxing distribution of work. It would be risky and might be too big to start out with but it would be an idea for the future. He would wait till later to discuss it. Right now he had other concerns.

Riftwalker
06-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Eluna forces a smile at your response. She's clearly disappointed and perhaps slightly jealous, but does not appear envious of you to the point of provoking any hostilities. "I need to think on some things. Perhaps now I can relieve you of your "guard duty" here, if you'd like to get some sleep."

Fuzzy alchemist
06-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "I understand. Thank you. Wake me if there are any problems." Then he climbs a top the boxes set up to keep their prisoners captive. He curls up on them and lays down to sleep.

Riftwalker
06-15-2008, 02:52 PM
You sleep for 8 hours, waking around 2:00 AM. Your cyst pulses and feels cold inside your body. Eluna hasn't noticed you stir, but sits at the table, writing in her spellbook. The time while you are sleeping appears to have passed without incident.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Now refreshed and rested he decided to rethink the ideas that had come to him the previous day to see if they still seemed reasonable. He sat up and worked his way down the boxes towards Eluna. He attempts to get a look at what she is writing figuring it was unlikely he would be able to figure it out just from a glance, but who knows she might have been writing personal notes in there as well.

Riftwalker
06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Go ahead and roll a spot check (DC 10) to get a rough idea of what she's writing.

Also, (as you probably already know but I'll remind you just in case) you still need an hour to memorize spells for the day.

She does not look up or cease writing, but acknowledges you. "Good... morning, Takuzei."

Fuzzy alchemist
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "Good morning." His voice was generally cheerful and pleasant.

Spot check to see what she is writing

Riftwalker
06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
You aren't able to get a good view of what she was writing, but you do see that it was a combination of text and a diagram containing many arcs and circles. You think it was probably a spell of some kind, though her format, notation, and use of such diagrams differs from other spells you've seen.

"So what is it that..." she begins, but suddenly stops. Her eyes grow slightly wider and she turns her head toward where you were sleeping. Her ears adjust slightly, and she stands up and walks over towards the crates.

"I believe at least one of our captives is now conscious."

Fuzzy alchemist
06-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Takuzei nods, "I think we can store them for up to 3 days with out watering them a little longer without feeding them. But eventually we need to set up a system with which to insure that our subjects are not malnourished to assure accurate results."

Riftwalker
06-20-2008, 04:02 PM
"What are your plans? I'd like to get out of here for a few hours. Let me know if I should...acquire anything in particular."

Fuzzy alchemist
06-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Takuzei responds, "I am not sure. Assuming we are continuing with the laboratory plan together I need documents on available properties and this place. Restraints would also be nice so that we can keep our subjects contained if we move. We can discuss another idea that came to me later after you do what you need to do, but even if something does not seem like it would be in our price range feel free to bring back documents on it." If she had places she wanted to be he would let his ideas wait till later. He could even use the time to talk to the prisoners about their new positions in this idea before he pitched it to her so that he would be better prepared.

Riftwalker
06-22-2008, 12:32 PM
"Seeing that it is very early in the morning, I very much doubt that any of the humans that run the official records will be awake and ready to discuss such matters. But... what are you looking for in terms of restraints? Simple manacles? With locks? These can be as expensive as you want them to be... I can look into this for you--I know a guy and I may even be able to get a discount."

(Let's assume the prices for manacles/locks are what they are in the PHB assuming Eluna achieves no price reduction.)

Fuzzy alchemist
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Takuzei shrugs and says, "I think we would want something quiet, but capable of keeping them from moving too much. We want to be able to reuse them so some way to take them on and off would be nice. Leather would be a good option if they have it. Soft on the body, adjustable to insure a proper fit, no clinking metal. They might sell adjustable hobbles somewhere. It would avoid the suspicion of someone trying to obtain restraints for humanoids and would likely work as well. They are also more likely to be made of leather and therefore be quieter. Your opinion?"

Riftwalker
06-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Eluna thinks for a moment. "We would be able to unlock the manacles with a key, of course. They wouldn't be a one-time thing. The reservation for leather is that, if you're going to keep them subdued for a reasonable amount of time, they'd be able to wear down through the leather over a day or two. About the clanking, I'm not sure there's much we can do about that, though I wouldn't be worried about raising suspicions by purchasing manacles for humans. I have my... ways."

Fuzzy alchemist
06-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Takuzei nods and responds, "Then I guess metal is the way to go. We will need at least two, four would be safer but we are likely limited on funds for the moment. They should not have access to tools of any sort, so we can likely go cheap on the locks if we get pressed for money. So, how does obtaining two sets of manacles with cheap locks sound?"

Riftwalker
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
"Sounds fine to me. There is the matter of the funding, however."

Fuzzy alchemist
06-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Takuzei nods in agreement saying, "Well, there was about 30 gold pieces worth in currency on the table. That should just about cover the cost of the manacles themselves if you can not lower the price. We could simply bind them the old fashion way and not use locks at all. If we used copper instead of iron we could even reuse the manacles and likely save the metal with a little bit of work. It would also avoid us having to worry about them picking the locks." Takuzei waited to see if she had anything to note or knew of any problems that this method might cause.

Riftwalker
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
(I don't understand what you mean by using copper instead of iron and how that would allow you to reuse the manacles. Assuming you purchase non-masterwork manacles without a lock, I would imagine that you'd manacle their hands and/or feet and somehow connect the manacles to something immobile (perhaps hang the manacle that holds their hands from a rafter near the ceiling) so that they couldn't get away. I'm not an expert on using manacles, but I imagine that you can place a prisoner's hands in one and then close the manacles. The lock prevents them from being adjusted without opening the lock, and the manacles themselves prevents them from being opened because the hands wouldn't be able to reach the mechanism that opens them. Is this your understanding?

So if you manacled their feet, they'd simply be able to open them because their hands are free. If you manacle their hands, they'd be able to open each other's manacles if they can reach them. And if the manacles aren't attached to something they could simply run out with the manacles on their hands.)

Fuzzy alchemist
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
(My understanding was that manacles were non mechanical consisting of cuffs that come in two pieces possibly with a chain in the center or just as two pieces of metal with round portions for the wrists. They have a hole in them for a lock which is obtained separately. This was one of the old designs for them from our world and was quite simple to make and therefore use large quantities of. Before the days that they had locks the way manacles were attached was to thread a small red hot bar of iron through the hole that the lock would now be threaded through and then pound it flat basically riveting them closed. A black smith would then break them off when they were to be removed. What Takuzei was suggesting was using copper rods instead of iron rods so that they could be melted out without destroying the manacles every time. Using magic or the proper tools it would be easy to melt out a rod like that, but if you hands are bound and you are being watched it is unlikely that that you could manage to melt out the rods in secret. Question would be if you could simple sheer the coper rivet allowing them to more easily break them if they could get a mechanical advantage.

And you are correct we would bind the hands instead of the feet. It would not surprise me if one could find ones with an extra hole in the center designed to accept a chain that goes off to something else or just a hook on a wall.)

Riftwalker
06-24-2008, 01:07 PM
(Ok, so my next response would be: would Takuzei know about the relationship of which metals bend/melt in response to different temperatures? :-) Sounds like a Profession (Blacksmith) check... Furthermore, would you be able to melt or soften the metal through heat? Do you need the aid of a blacksmith and his forge/anvil in order to "lock" up the prisoners?

Assuming the prisoners can't reach each other, I think you'll be fine without locks or locking copper bars.)

Fuzzy alchemist
06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
(Given time one can properly heat the rods in a normal camping fire but a forge is better. Iron would likely require a forge though. Same thing with locking them up. One can do it with a pair of hammers or a stone and a hammer (even a stone door jamb would work if you could position them correctly). It would not be easy, but it can be done without tools. It would become even easier if we could get an evoker working with us. They could heat the metal much more quickly. Also, I am sorry that I assumed Takuzei would know the properties of the metals. It was one of those things that came so easy to me that it did not occur to me that he might not know it.)

Profession blacksmith

Riftwalker
06-24-2008, 03:05 PM
It's alright. With a 5 on the roll (which is not something you can roll untrained technically) let's say that Takuzei is smart enough to have some idea to reinforce the manacles via the mechanism you've described, but will need someone else that knows more about blacksmithing or metallurgy to fill in the specific details on what metals to use and the best way to do that would be if you're going to be heating up metallic rods.

For now, is it ok to let Eluna leave simply to find manacles? She doesn't have any expert advice to contribute.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah it is fine if she goes on and gets the manacles. I had not bothered to see if profession checks could be made untrained. I just assumed that since that was what you said it would need that you were requesting one. I could try it as a intelligence check to see if I have picked up anything about it in my studies.

Takuzei hands over the money that he had found when doing his inventory before she leaves.

Riftwalker
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Alright. Eluna pockets the gold on the table, picks up her spellbook, and leaves.

Let me know what you're doing (if anything other than watching the crates).

Fuzzy alchemist
06-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Once she is gone Takuzei begins talking to the people in the crates saying, "If you are awake I have a deal that might spare you from being lab rats and allow you to make much more money than you have been previously. Respond if you are interested."

Riftwalker
06-30-2008, 01:30 PM
(Interesting!)

You wait several moments before hearing a muffled response from one of the crates. "Let us out!" Jin yells (though it is not very loud due to being inside the crate.) It is clear that she is upset but still has a fighting spirit.

Fuzzy alchemist
06-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "Good. While the lab idea is good expenses are better distributed among many and there are many unguided magic users coming to this city. So, my idea would be to form a conclave of mages teaching each other and doing their own studies with or without the help of the other students." He was rambling and needed to get to the point so he continued, "The point is I need someone to recruit students for it and I was impressed by the way the two of you worked. The offer would be as follows, I let you go and you bring back magic users that might actually join on a regular basis and handle getting rid of traitors. In return the conclave will provide you with spells and magic items to use on your own private jobs at whatever it costs us to make them. The more magic users you bring us the more magic is at your disposal. I myself have a spell that will make guards wave you by into even the most secure places and not even remember what you were like. Highly useful to people in your profession. I am working on a new form of magic item that will be cheap to produce and usable by those that are not magically talented allowing me to hand over little packets full of spells you can use to help you."

Riftwalker
06-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Jin stops yelling and beating against the side of the crate.

"I agree! Now let us out!"

Fuzzy alchemist
06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Takuzei shook his head and said, "No, I must discuss this with the other one first. If she does not trust the idea or does not trust you all then I will likely have to defer to her judgment. I am not going to lose a perfectly good partner just to try and form a school all of my own. I was honestly expecting negotiations to take longer than this. I expected questions about if we were going to take a cut of your jobs when we help, or if you got to keep the stuff from the people that you find to be traitors, things like that. Once I talk it over with the lady and get her approval we can work out a contract so that all parties know what rights they have within the deal, but it should not deviate too far from what I suggested."

sense motive to see if she is honestly accepting or just saying want I want to here

Riftwalker
07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Whether through inexperience conversing to people in a helpless situation or simply not able to pick up on the subtle cues and inflections in her voice, you're unable to determine whether or not she's simply saying what you want to hear.

However, you're smart enough to know that she--as someone that would prefer to *not* be caged in a crate, would probably pursue whatever path would most quickly and safely get her out of the crate. (I rolled an intelligence check for you.)

"Just let us go! I'll do anything!" she yells. The tone of her voice has changed from one of anger to one that is trying to make a deal.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Takuzei says, "Ok. give me a few moments. I will need to prepare a few spells first and move the boxes that hold you in." Then he begins putting his mind in the proper state to prepare spells. He hoped that by the time he was actually ready to do so the lady would be back and they could discuss things, but if she was not there was always the option of going a head and casting the spell that would assure a measure of control over the girl.

Riftwalker
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
An hour passes as you prepare spells. (Presumably) you ignore the further attempts of Jin to bargain/plead with you to get her out sooner. You never hear anything from Riko. It is now 3:00 AM and Eluna has not yet returned.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Takuzei prepares necrotic cyst, rot of ages, spirit worm, Ray of enfeeblement, trip x3, prestidigitation, necrotic assimilation, and detect magic, leaving the other slots open to be filled once he knew what he wanted to do with his day. The first order of business was to inspect the letter that had recived before. He used detect magic to see if it has any magical properties and double checks that it says the same thing as it did before. The lady might have been as sneaky as him and changed it before delivering it in the hope of making him miss his appointment. Assuming that checks out fine he scans the room for any other auras.

Riftwalker
07-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Only part of the note gives off any hint of magic: the S at the bottom appears to be Semndon's arcane mark. You scan the rest of the room, but nothing gives off any auras.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Once that is complete Takuzei begins moving the boxes down to free Jin so that he might finish negotiations with her and assure that she would be loyal to him even after she was no longer under his direct supervision.

Riftwalker
07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
At what point are you going to stop taking boxes off of her crate? Are you going to open her crate and simply let her out?

As you remove boxes from the top of her crate she continues to yell "Let me out!" (though her voice is strained as her vocal cords are tired of yelling).

Fuzzy alchemist
07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
He moved the boxes that that they were set up as a wall on three sides that would be above her head and took his position on the open side. This would make it harder for her to double cross him but would allow them to talk face to face. He would allow her to remove the top herself so that he could be ready if she tried anything.

Riftwalker
07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
After you position the boxes, she removes the top of her crate and stands up panting. The air in the cellar isn't particularly fresh, but in contrast to re-breathing the air in the box over and over, you think it must be refreshing by comparison. She slowly attempts to climb out of the box and head for the table in a subdued way. (Assuming you let her. If you choose to interrupt her actions, go ahead and say so.)

On the inside of her crate, you can see where she was trying to scratch a way out using her belt buckle but hadn't gotten very far through the wood of the crate.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Takuzei follows her remaining at the ready if she makes a break for it. He decides to start up the conversation again saying, "You must keep our existance a secret until we are in a state to protect ourselves as a school. This means that anyone who finds out about us will either need to be recruited or destroyed. Is this understood and accepted?"

Riftwalker
07-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Jin looks away, "Are you going to let Riko out too?" she asks, tears in her eyes.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Takuzei smiles and says, "That is currently my intention, but he will have to agree to a deal like the one you are agreeing to. He will of course have the ability to negotiate just like you do. I simply wish to deal with you all one at a time so as to avoid being out numbered. If he wakes he is more than welcome to participate in the discussion, but it will be done from inside of his box instead of face-to-face." His tone was polite and he was attempting to be reassuring, but still maintain that this was a business negociation and their fates could go either way.

Riftwalker
07-11-2008, 08:57 AM
"But... I'm concerned for him. Can we make sure he's at least ok?"

Fuzzy alchemist
07-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Takuzei nods and says, "Sure. I can not see any reason to decline, but we can not remove the load on the top. I assume if he is awake he can hear us."

Riftwalker
07-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Ok, so with Jin sitting at the table, are you going to confirm that Riko is ok? Or are you going to let her check on him? Or something else?

Fuzzy alchemist
07-14-2008, 06:29 PM
I was figuring on letting her do it. He would likely be more responsive to her and she would be better able to quell whatever concerns she had herself rather than using me to do it.

Riftwalker
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Jin walks over to the crates. "Which one is he in?" she asks you, looking defeated. After you point to the one he's in, she taps on the crate. "Riko!" she cries. "Riko! Are you there? Can you hear me?" She places her ear up to the crate in order to hear if Riko responds and calls out again for him. Her look turns to worry and her eyes start to water. She looks over at you after waiting a moment and, begins to push the box that's on top of the crate off.

Do you stay where you are or rush over to her?

Fuzzy alchemist
07-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Takuzei shakes his head and says, "I said that we could not remove the load on top. I can not risk being out numbered. Please stop what you are doing." He did not want to have to resort to threats but if she continued he would be forced to do so and he had power to back them up. He figured what was wrong at this point, and knew that there was nothing that could be done for a while. He had theories on how to bring back the dead and knowledge that it could be done, but at the moment he did not even have the ability to preserve flesh nevermind reanimate it and the other ways were not available to him at the moment. Even if this person was only injured it was not among his skills to heal people though he figured that it could not be too differant than some of his other spells. He to himself as he advanced towards her that he would have to research that at some point, but that would come later.

Riftwalker
07-15-2008, 07:29 AM
You hear Eluna's voice behind you chanting a spell while looking at Jin. (You rolled a 2 on the listen check to hear her coming, but you can roll a spellcraft to identify the nature of the spell if you're interested.)

Jin's saving throw

Riftwalker
07-15-2008, 07:33 AM
"Calm down" Eluna says to Jin. "Everything's going to be fine. I'm sure Riko is just asleep." She walks over to Jin and embraces her in a hug. With Jin's back to you, Eluna's gaze meets yours, and she shoots you a look that you read as "what happened?!"

Fuzzy alchemist
07-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Seeing no real reason to lie at this point Takuzei simply explains the truth as such, "I was discussing the possibility of expanding our group and the resources we would have at hand. I figured it would be best to insure that both parties actively negotiating did not have any distractions so I allowed the lady to speak face to face with me and ally her concerns about her friend before hand. When you returned I was going to fill you in on my idea and either obtain your approval or call the expansion off as I value you more than some idea of building a grand join learning program that may never come to pass. You are of course welcome to participate in the discussion of terms if you approve of the idea."

spellcraft check to identify the spell cast by Eluna

Riftwalker
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
You recognize that the end effect of her spell was a Charm Person, though her method of casting has some foreign elements to it (due to learning magic in a different way). It also tapped into a power source you've never experienced or encountered before. The result of this power source ended up putting a "spin" on her spell that gave it an edge.

In game terms it increased the DC of her spell by 1.

She removes her head from Jin's shoulder and releases her from her embrace. Then she looks Jin in the eyes with a very serious look. "Jin. Look at me." Though upset, her eyes meet Eluna's. "You're going to be ok. Why don't you sit down here at the table while I check on Riko."

Eluna guides Jin to the table and then walks back to the crate where Riko is imprisoned. "Care to help me with this Takuzei?"

Fuzzy alchemist
07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Takuzei nods and joins her over near the box to help move it. He no longer had a reason to object to keeping him locked up and Jin would be passive for the time being. His mind went back to considering how to make a healing spell and what types of undead he knew of that made spawn, preferably ones that kept or could regain their minds. It was best to keep his mind active on things like that as they were more his feild than understanding people.

Riftwalker
07-18-2008, 02:34 PM
You help Eluna move the boxes from the top of Riko's crate. Throughout the process, there is no movement or sound heard from within his crate. Eluna removes the top of the crate, and Riko is lying inside. His stab wound from the fight earlier (from where Eluna stabbed him) looks like it's cut fairly deep. "He's not dead," Eluna whispers to you, "but he might be soon without help."

Jin looks up from the table, "Riko?"

Fuzzy alchemist
07-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Takuzei whispers, "Well, theoretically a lot of my magics mess with life forces and I should be able to work to bolster them instead of hamper, but it would require more research than we have time for. If I could call into existence a spirit that could pull out his soul and give it the strength to exist without the body that might do it but I do not have that spell in my books and even if I did it would take me over 8 hours to be in a state to cast it. I am open to any suggestions you might have."

Riftwalker
07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
"Hmm..." she whispers as she thinks for a moment. "I think we just need a healing potion. We have three options: We can send Jin to get one, but if she takes too long then my spell over her will break and she'll be gone. Or worse--she'll come back with friends. If I leave to find a potion, then there's a possibility that the spell will break while I'm gone, but since I'm the one that charmed her, she's going to be wary of you anyway. The only other option is for you to go. That might make the most sense. What do you think?"

At the sight of Riko's crumpled and half-alive body, you feel your cyst turn over inside you.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Takuzei thinks for a moment about how useful the "friends" might be in their work if Jin was dumb enough to bring them after the deal he had put on the table. It was also unlikely she would leave as she seemed to care about Riko and he a chance at the same deal if he survived this. Bringing them trouble would likely get him killed and abandoning him would have slightly lower, simular chances of of getting him killed. This was why it was better to take them without injuring them. He understood the care was part of the cost of keeping livestock but this one was about to get horribly expensive. He quickly went through the cost-benefit analysis and decided it was best to keep him alive. Upon comming to this conclusion he says, "Ok, where would I find one at this hour?"

Riftwalker
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
"There's an apothecary run by a druid a few blocks from here. He likely has some potions lying around. Actually, it's good that you're going, because he might recognize me... Actually, you probably shouldn't mention me when you run into him."

Eluna describes how to get there. It's only a short walk--assuming you don't stay more than a few minutes, you could be there and back in less than an hour.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Takuzei nods and heads out grabbing his sack of stuff on the way so that he can be prepared for whatever might come his way. His mind rushed reviewing what had just happened and trying to find anything he should be concerned about as he walked toward the apothecary's shop.

Riftwalker
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM
As Takuzei walks towards the apothecary Eluna described, his thoughts turn to his current situation.

(I rolled an intelligence check for you.) Takuzei is smart enough to know that keeping Jin and Riko as unwilling prisoners in the long term will be difficult due to the simple nature of having to care for them while simultaneously assuring that they cannot escape or otherwise harm him. He thinks back to the days prior to his departure from Brier Patch village and how Harru, Toma, and Sam tend to care of the disciple he dispatched. Though in their case they at least have three people to help and half as many people to keep alive. And the disciple is never in any danger of waking up and harming them either--kept in a constant coma. Takuzei's only aid in this is Eluna's, and he's not sure how long she'll be around.

He hopes that they agree to some sort of deal, though he's not sure he knows how he would or could enforce such a deal. Further, by allying with them in some capacity, the ability to experiment on them is a bit more limited. They're not likely to willingly submit to any experiments--either Takuzei's or Eluna's.

And so, what is the purpose of an organization consisting of two wizards and two rogues? If it's a school for teaching magic to other neophyte wizards, what do they have to teach or otherwise offer such mages? Takuzei's new direction--the one he proposed to Jin--is to form an arrangement of sorts that allows the rogues to view and treat him as an ally. So long as he can aid in their endeavors, anyway. How Eluna fits into this is also uncertain--or even if she is willing. But he hasn't had a chance to discuss it with her.

Takuzei's thoughts are interrupted by arriving at the apothecary's shop. It is one of many small shops in a row--all with two floors. The top floor is likely where the apothecary lives and sleeps and the bottom floor is his shop. Above the door is a small wooden sign that you can read in the dim light--Annath's Elixirs. The building is narrow, but there is room for a small window next to the door. Peering through the window you can see that there are shelves of bottles and containers of various sizes. Though not in shambles, the shop is not as well-kept as others you've seen around the city in general. Papers are strewn about the floor and there are some overturned bottles on the tables. Various seeds, leaves, and herbs also line the counters--lookiong as though someone was making something but did not return the unused components back to where they belong.

There are no lights on in the building. Since it's getting close to 4:00 AM, if there is anyone inside they're probably asleep.

Fuzzy alchemist
07-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Takuzei was not in a position to try to sneak around so he was going to have to avoid making it look like he was trying to do something wrong. His first goal would be to ascertain whether the door was locked. If it is not he could progress into the shop and look for what he needed. If it was he was going to have to come to a decsion about whether to get in another way or wake the shopkeeper up before it was really needed.

Riftwalker
07-27-2008, 10:08 AM
As you manipulate the handle of the door, it becomes apparent that the door is unlocked.

Fuzzy alchemist
08-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Takuzei decides to enter and begin looking around for a healing potion of some sort keeping an eye out for pen and ink as well. For his plan to work he was going to need it. He needed to do his best to look like a simple idiot concerned for a friend while he was here instead of a thief. Judgment would be less severe if his intentions seemed to be good.

(Taking 10 on the search check giving him a 20 total.)

Riftwalker
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I assume you're attempting to look around without making any noise? Would you roll a move silently, a spot, and a listen check for me? (Since your character sheet was lost I don't have a table of Takuzei's skill points. Can you update this or give me a new URL when you have a chance?)

While looking around you see a large number of herbs, tubers, and flowers in jars. There is also a shelf behind a desk lined with vials of various sizes and colors.

Once I get your rolls I'll elaborate further.