PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Doctor Discotheque

Doctor Discotheque
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Hello everybody!
I'm Chuck. I haven't played for 10 years. I have a pile of Rifts books just waiting to be used.

rabkala
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Welcome aboard! I don't know if we have any disco fans here, but certainly many gamers. Check out the player registry and campaign invitations for players/games in your area. Feel free to jump on the boards and tell us about your rift games and such.

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the community! For finding players the Player Registry (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/memberlist.php) is an invaluable tool and for recruiting players as a DM the Campaign Invitations (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) forum is perfect. I wish you the best of luck in finding gaming bliss in the near future.

I know many players here are familiar with Rifts and a few who played it regularly a decade or so ago. Any chance your interested in DM'ing for Rifts? I only found out about it recently and I love the concept. I'm really hoping Jerry Bruckheimer and writer David Franzoni stay commited to creating a Rifts movie when the writers strike ends.

Doctor Discotheque
01-11-2008, 03:02 AM
I am definitely looking to DM it.

hueloovoo
12-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm looking for a Rifts/HU game here in the Liberty area, I would totally be interested! My schedule is chaotic, but I'll take a crowbar to it if you can get a group together and try to beat it into submission.

tesral
12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey Rifts, great idea, lousy system.

hueloovoo
12-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Meh, depends how you run it, and how you play it. I'm in an online group that's more RP than combat, and it's great! Does tend toward powerful players and monsters, but given almost unlimited potential for character creation, it's SO worth it.

Soft Serve
12-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Never played or heard of Rifts.

But welcome to the boards!

Webhead
12-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Never played or heard of Rifts.

But welcome to the boards!

It tends to fall into the "love/hate" category of games. Either you really love it or you really don't. A lot of this has to do with the system/publisher: Palladium.

Like any game, it can be fun if you play it with the right people, but most Palladium games are notorious for their rather byzantine rules mechanics and their chaotic sense of organization (or lack thereof).

Rifts is a very interesting concept for a game. Essentially a chaotic sort of science-fantasy where virtually anything is possible. Werewolves, cyborgs, sorcerers, radioactive mutants, ninja, 50-foot crocodile monsters...you name it.

I'm not a fan of Palladium because the game system is not something I found enjoyable for my style of play, but I have known people who adore their games.

If one dares to go a few steps farther into the grotesquely bizarre and convoluted, one might find World of Synnibar, which is another beast entirely. A game so positively and absurdly pretentious that you can't help but laugh yourself into a fit of sobbing over how you will never be able to fully purify yourself of its influence. Something like that...

I nearly bought it again when I saw it at my local used bookstore and I don't even know why...

hueloovoo
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
ZOMG I played Synnibarr for a short while to try it out, I think the book is akin to on of Lovecraft's creations, exposure to it tends to cause insanity, tearing out one's eyes, eternal torture of one's soul in a horrific alternate dimension...

Webhead
12-09-2008, 09:50 PM
ZOMG I played Synnibarr for a short while to try it out, I think the book is akin to on of Lovecraft's creations, exposure to it tends to cause insanity, tearing out one's eyes, eternal torture of one's soul in a horrific alternate dimension...

Something like that...

Dimthar
12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Welcome! Great Handle/Nick... Dr. Discotheque ... Cool!

Windrider687
12-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm one of those in the 'love' category of RIFTS; the system could use tweaking, but it's honestly not that hard to tweak, my tabletop group has our own homebrew system adapted to RIFTS.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Hello and welcome to the boards.

Soft Serve
12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I love Lovecraft's writing! I just recently have been exposed lol so I'm still reading, but so far I've gotten down Call of Cthulhu, the Reanimator, and most of Dagon.

Webhead
12-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I love Lovecraft's writing! I just recently have been exposed lol so I'm still reading, but so far I've gotten down Call of Cthulhu, the Reanimator, and most of Dagon.

Good stuff. Keep reading.

tesral
12-10-2008, 05:28 PM

I have Lovecraft's writing hand. But it won't write for me. :evil:

Soft Serve
12-10-2008, 11:22 PM
I just started reading The Rats in the Walls.

apparently a cat named "Nigger-Man" plays a big part in that story?

Was Lovecraft racist?:confused:

I mean...I know it was 1920-ish when he wrote, and even then he wrote using 1800's styles but still...

I mean if you tell me he wasn't I can get it, but at the same time I'd understand if he was. I just don't know which side of the fence he was at right now...

Webhead
12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
...Was Lovecraft racist?:confused:...

It is largely acknowledged that a general sense of Anglo-superiority colored Lovecraft in his life and work.

...A common dramatic device in Lovecraft's work is to associate virtue, intellect, elevated class position, civilization, and rationality with white Anglo-Saxons, often posing it in contrast to the corrupt, intellectually inferior, uncivilized and irrational, which he associated with people he characterized as being of lower class, impure racial "stock" and/or non European ethnicity and dark skin complexion who were often the villains in his writings...

...According to L. Sprague de Camp's biography, Lovecraft greatly moderated his views toward the end of his life. Sprague de Camp says Lovecraft was horrified by reports of anti-Jewish violence in Germany during the 1930s, which he regarded as irrational.

Recent studies have begun to question, not Lovecraft's racism per se, but his dedication to the theory. For example, Michael Gurnow's study of "The Dunwich Horror," relays that Lovecraft makes martyrs of African American twins by the close of the text, thus suggesting that, at least in part and at various times throughout his life, Lovecraft explored and questioned the veracity of his racial views...

For a deeper look into the issue, check out the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#Race

cplmac
12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Just like I have said before. Sometimes you may have to be patient and eventually you will find someone in your area. Good luck and hopefully you will have a group together gaming soon.

hueloovoo
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I have to agree. These boards may be a little slow, but the player registry with map is really handy, I've already found a few people in the northland, I just have to get a hold of people... *hint hint* ^.^