PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on my campaign please?!

imtheguido
01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
The setting itself has no name, still working on that part. First a bit of basic information on the Realm (Which also has no name yet.) consists of the three major Continents. The largest being Valarenth, which has a generaly temperate climate with mostly lush forests, vast plains, a few decent sized mountain ranges and the occasional desert. Valarenth is fallowed closely by the not much smaller Raleal, which is mostly a tropical continent, with large mountain ranges, massive, thick jungles, deserts and a bit of an arctic cap in the far north. The last continent of Adara is almost like a floating desert. From the waters edge, to the center of the continent, it is one hot blazing inferno of sand, wind and sun.

At the moment, I am working on the extended history of the realm. The time line in the realm is Identicle to that of ours, 365 days in a year, 12 months (same names till I can get more creative), 24 hours to a day, 7 days to a week. Everything. The only difference is that years are marked as -year-BC and -year-AC. To explain, I will jump right into the 'Immediate' history of the realm. The place is the Continent of Valarenth. There are 7 major cities, each ruling over the surrounding area in a kingdom sort of manner, with a basic Monarchie type government. These 7 major cities being: Hooks Tip, Dalistan, Garsteth, Balareth, Rashan, Salaren and Corield. There was a long period of peice called "The Calm Years", which lasted roughly 50 years. Just before this time a massive war crippled the continent, each city waring over controle of the surrounding lands, water ways and seas, the largest war in the history of the World.

Near the end of "The Calm Years" there was a man by the name of Ramustule, whom went from village to village, town to town, and city to city, proclaming that he have had a vision, of the world coming to the end, in a massive cataclysm that would consume the world in evil flames which would rain from the skies, the seas would boil and chaos would run rampant among the lands. People pushed him off as some mental cased man whom was only seeking attention, with only one true listener. A gnome, Gerald Fiddlespot. A well known inventor whom lived in the city of Balareth.

Ramastule and Gerald became good friends, and spent the next four years living together in Gerald's Laboritory. They never seamed to leave unless for food and drink, what they did within, no one knew, until August third four years after they met, a day now known as Worlds End Day.

The people of the land knew something was amiss that morning, when the sun that began to rise, was a deep crimson in color, rather than is usual bright orangish red. Their worries turned into fear as the usual blue skies slowly turned to a light hue of purple and the clouds a deeper purple, almost black. That morning Gerald quickly went to work setting up the device he had spent the past four years building. Once he had finished setting up the strange and yet wonderous crystal like device in the center of the city, he flipped a single toggle switch near the base of the monsterous machine, a small floating blueish green crystal began to glow brightly in the center of the machine. Not too soon after, a massive blue dome of what looked to be like that of a shield spell encompassed the city, just in time to prevent balls of fire from the sky from falling onto the city below.

That day was 400 years ago. The blue dome remains over the city, which has sustained itself with help from the mages, sorcerers and priests, creating all the food and water to keep themselves alive. The city's original wall was fortified in case anything outside figured a way through the barrier, and to keep the occupants from leaving. The only people to leave the city have been those forced into exile for breaking the laws which keep order in these chaotic times. With no contact of outside intelligent life, the council has recently decided that for the first time, they will send out a party to seek other survivors.

The current year is 400 AC (After Cataclysm, BC obviously meaning Before Cataclysm), and you are to be the first to leave the city in search of other intelligent life since the event, weather it be by your will or not.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

That so far is all the players know. While outside of this dome, the world has changed greatly. The Cataclysm as it has been come to called, was brought upon the realm by a powerful Demon Lord (Haven't quite decided the name or type of demon yet.) whom was able to retrieve the Seven orbs of Destruction, created over a Millennium ago by seven Demon Lords in the first attempt to bring their powers to the world at large against the will of the gods. Their attempts where thwarted by several groups of adventurers whom have been come to be known in legend as the "Saviors of the Dawn."

The Orbs where hidden throughout the world in an attempt to prevent their use from ever being discovered again, for these orbs could not be destroyed without almost certainly killing all those around it, as the resulting effects would be that of a Maximized, Enlarged, Widened 10th level fireball with the Energy AddMixture Meta Magic Feat added on for Double the damage with the second half of the damage being of the [Cold] Descriptor. All the meta magics makes it effectively 22nd level. After this spell goes off, it becomes a Living Spell. This has been discovered through the destruction of one of those 7 orbs long ago, with the resulting creature wandering the alcove where it was created since it appeared. This area is now known as the "Fire Lords Dominion". (( I will be posting the stats for the living spell once I finish creating it with some of your help! Please check the Dungeons and Dragons Forum for my post to help!))

With one orb destroyed, the current Demon Lord was able to re-create the 7th, and use it in his domination of the world. Since the Cataclysm, the world has become a very dark and evil place. All non-magical creatures of the world, have gained the chaotic evil alignment in place of their original, as well as the (Fiendish) template.

The world around them itself has changed. The sky remains a dull purpleish color, everything seeming no longer bright and vibrant as it once was. The Immediate area around the city, shows remenents of the day that fire fell from the sky, large craters that vegetation has re-grown over in the years that have passed.

There are of course other survivors, though I have yet to decide where they are, or how they have survived. The gnome will provide them information where they can find more of the crystals that he used to power the device, but that is about all the information other than the best map they have of what the world around them looked like 400 years ago.

That is pretty much all I have for now, please... please give input into it? Even if I don't use all of your suggestions, all of them will be considered! Thanks for the help in advance!

Riftwalker
01-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Sounds interesting so far. It has elements of the basic plotline of the computer game "Fallout" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_%28computer_game%29 ) although you're going to be hard pressed not to have any overlap with other post-apocalyptic games so I wouldn't worry about it.

Let me fire a barrage of questions at it that may help flesh out some details or back-story or provide opportunities for adventure ideas:

- So the Demon Lord recovered the six of the seven orbs the Saviors of the Dawn hid?
- What is the nature of the Cataclysm? Bombardment from space? Magical interaction with the sun?
- Was the Demon Lord not capable of simply outright destroying the planet?
- Why did the Demon Lord want to bring about the Cataclysm in the first place? (Perhaps he wanted a post-Cataclysmic planet rather than a destroyed one?)
- Is the blue dome a dome or a sphere? Can something get into the city by burrowing from below?
- Does Gerald use crystals to power the sphere, or magic from the towns' magic users, or both? Is he running out?
- What was the basis of Ramastule's prophecy? Obviously he knew what he was talking about, but how? Is there some connection between him and the Demon Lord?
- Why are the living spells admixtured with [Cold]?
- What happened to the original Demon Lords that initially created the Orbs?

imtheguido
01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Let me fire a barrage of questions at it that may help flesh out some details or back-story or provide opportunities for adventure ideas:

- So the Demon Lord recovered the six of the seven orbs the Saviors of the Dawn hid?
- What is the nature of the Cataclysm? Bombardment from space? Magical interaction with the sun?
- Why did the Demon Lord want to bring about the Cataclysm in the first place? (Perhaps he wanted a post-Cataclysmic planet rather than a destroyed one?)
- Is the blue dome a dome or a sphere? Can something get into the city by burrowing from below?
- Does Gerald use crystals to power the sphere, or magic from the towns' magic users, or both? Is he running out?
- What was the basis of Ramastule's prophecy? Obviously he knew what he was talking about, but how? Is there some connection between him and the Demon Lord?

Thank you for the quick and wonderful reply! All of these questions will help flesh out the setting a bit more, answer some questions that may come up when reading what I have posted, along with bring up things I hadn't thought of. The answers!

The Demon Lord (Still Unnamed) recovered six of the seven orbs, as one of them was destroyed by one of the groups of the Saviors of the Dawn, resulting in the creation of the Living Spell. Each orb, during its creation, required the Heart of the Demon Lord whom created it for it to be properly crafted. Alone, the orbs are worthless, it isn't until all seven are united, with the proper incantation/spell casting that triggered the cataclysmic event.

The nature of the Cataclysm was created by the uniting of the seven orbs of Destruction. It created something like the effect of a Fire Storm of 50th level that covered the entire planet for several hours (Ignoring the 20D6 Damage limit).

No single being had the power to simply outright destroy the planet, for fear of intervention of the gods against the single individual. With the 7 working together, it made stopping their works difficult, but it was done with the Saviors of Dawn. The Current Demon Lord whom brought this upon the world, did not have the power either, but was discretely able to avoid the detection of the powers that be, while searching for the orbs. As the first even happened over 1,000 years prior, it had become a thing of legend and no one knew if the orbs truely existed.

While he wanted to rule the planet, he didn't want to completely destroy it, as there where many minions to be created from the survivors of the cataclysm, such as the animals now which all have the fiendish template on them.

This one I haven't quite decided on. If it where a sphere, it would make more since for the reason no one has gotten through the barrier in 400 years since is creation, but if I where to just say it was a dome, that could lead to interesting plot ideas, such as their home city coming under attack from a race which lives under ground, such as the Giant Ants (First thing that came to mind). I will need a bit more input on this before I make a definite decision.

Yes, Gerald uses the crystals that are found in a particular mountain range to the north of the city to power the barrier that protects the city. He had come across them in his journeys across the land, and filled a saddle bag for a mule with nothing but the crystals for his travel home so he could study them. It isn't until recently that the crystals began to run low on crystals and needs them to keep the barrier up and running.

Ramastule's prophesy was sent to him by a god (No idea which one, or the name of that god), which is not highly worshiped whom had discovered the Demon Lords Plans. The Gods of this world are in constant battle with one another, though it shows very little effect upon the world, and thus when one makes an accusation as this, they ignore him, as in their eyes, there could be no possible way that the orbs would have been found. In a desperate attempt to worn the people of the world, he sent this vision to his most devoted follower, whom unfortunately, like the rest of his followers, had no respect among their own people, thus, this accusation was ignored. When Ramastule found Gerald, the God was pleased enough that he would be able to save some of the people of the world, and used a bit of divine intervention to make sure that the device that the gnome had created, would work.

The Demon lords, knowing that while they where powerful together, also knew that alone they could be destroyed. As a precaution, they decided that when they created the orbs, that they would put a contigiency on each, so if it where destroyed for any reason, it would result in the creation of the living spell. There are of course those whom, through whatever means, have become completely immune to say, fire damage, and knowing this, they would create these living spells to be able to best even those with such immunities.

This is where my problem lies, I searched long and hard for a way, to make the spells, consist of either every energy type, so that no matter what the character was immune to, it would still do full damage, or... it was made of no energy type so that you simply couldn't be immune to it that way, so it was just purely damage. I couldn't find a way to do either, so at the moment, I have settled with both fire and cold damage, 10dD6 of each.

If anyone knows a way to pull this off through actual game mechanics rather than simply saying,"This what it is because I say so" which I have found many many players to dislike, please, please point me in the right direction!

The original Demon Lords whom initially created the Orbs where killed one by one by the different groups of "Saviors of the Dawn", though they can still be brought back, as their heart and essence is held within each orb. (( Plot ideas! Woot! >.>))

Thank you for the wonderful questions that you have presented! I am always welcoming more! Its good to get an outside opinion that isn't biased or rude in their suggestions. ^_^

Maelstrom
01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Excellent concept.

Some additional questions: How are things in the city itself, if they exile any criminals? Are there factions vying for power, or is someone dominating the city and preventing uprisings (tyranny)?

I can see that for the first generation the people would get along fine seeing that they survived a destruction which claimed all but them to their knowledge, but after 400 years people would tend to forget what brought them together unless ruled by force, fear, superstition, or opposing self interest (like a well run democracy). Answering these questions will give you a background of how the people survived and the society they have now.

Also, I can see that someone unscrupulous may have already made contact with the outside world without the knowledge of the government, someone charismatic enough that noone suspects them as having made a pact with the evil in the land in return for personal power.

Thinking of a society locked away like that, I can see that even at 1st level, the adventurers that leave may be the best they have, since they don't have veterans of battles in their midst(unless elves that lived during the time of the catacalysm are a part of the population).

For the nature of the dome, a wall of force (sphere in this case) would do nicely.

Riftwalker
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
No problem. This kind of world-building is fun!

Here's another round:

- Where are the Saviors of the Dawn today? Are they long dead from natural causes, did they die with the destruction of the destroyed orb? How many Saviors of the Dawn are there? (If there's 7, perhaps each one guarded an orb? Perhaps the Demon Lord has them captured/corrupted?)
- Why in 400 years has the Demon Lord done nothing to the city? Are there hordes/armies of demons surrounding the city trying to get in?
- Is the god that gave Ramastule his prophecy at about the same power level as the Demon Lord?
- Are the orbs interchangeable with each other, or are they different in some way from one another? (Perhaps due to housing the heart/souls of their demonic creators?)
- Are the creators of the orbs on the same level of power as the Demon Lord?
- The Demon Lord didn't destroy the planet out of fear of divine retribution from a pantheon that doesn't get involved much in the affairs of the planet? (Might want to expound a bit more on this. At face value the explanation isn't clear, at least to me.)
- Why was a firey cataclysm necessary to turn the creatures of the planet fiendish and then rule them?
- Perhaps instead of having fire/cold or other elemental damage from the destruction of the orbs, up the stakes a bit and have it destroy a continent-sized portion of the planet (as well as spawn the living spell)? You don't have to worry about mechanics if you're going to be DMing. The problem with the elemental damage is that players can get around it fairly easily through items that grant immunity to whatever elements the destruction does, which I guess is fine if that's the level of effort required to destroy them. How are they destroyed anyway? Mordenkainen's Disjunction? Is one of the points of the campaign to destroy them? Can the orbs be somehow redeemed or are they irrevocably evil? (I assume they're evil due to their creators.)
- Any connections between the Saviors of the Dawn and the demons that created the orbs?
- Any connections between the Saviors of the Dawn and Ramastule's god?

Mulsiphix
01-08-2008, 04:09 PM

This one I haven't quite decided on. If it where a sphere, it would make more since for the reason no one has gotten through the barrier in 400 years since is creation, but if I where to just say it was a dome, that could lead to interesting plot ideas, such as their home city coming under attack from a race which lives under ground, such as the Giant Ants (First thing that came to mind). I will need a bit more input on this before I make a definite decision.I think saying the dome was originally a sphere would make the most sense as to why nobody had gotten into the city so far. However, running low on crystals, five to ten years ago the decision was made to modify the device to only cover the city that was at surface level. Running dangerously low on crystals the decision was made to send out a group of adventurers to look for survivors.

While scouring the lands for survivors a messenger reaches them and lets them know that the city is under siege from attackers who either dug under the dome or are a subterranean race themselves. The party heads back to the city to help defend it. After the enemy is dealt with, or while they're regrouping, the party is asked to escort the gnome engineer to the mountain range to harvest more crystals so the device can be run at full power once again.

Mulsiphix
01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
The Demon Lord didn't destroy the planet out of fear of divine retribution from a pantheon that doesn't get involved much in the affairs of the planet? (Might want to expound a bit more on this. At face value the explanation isn't clear, at least to me.)I agree. Either the Demon Lord wanted to rule the planet or he didn't destroy it because it would have provoked the wrath of the gods. If he wanted to rule the planet though I think he would have made several attempts by now to bring down the protected city.

If you go the route of why the gods didn't get involved when he bombarded the planet with fire, the demon lord/gods could work on a system similar to that of the Mage universe in World of Darkness. They don't possess magic but alter reality around them. If reality is altered to much then things charged with keeping the balance come looking for you.

Maelstrom
01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I agree. Either the Demon Lord wanted to rule the planet or he didn't destroy it because it would have provoked the wrath of the gods. If he wanted to rule the planet though I think he would have made several attempts by now to bring down the protected city.

Perhaps that is where the divine intervention came in from the lesser God... he has hidden the city from the notice of the demon. But perhaps the party unwittingly makes the Demon suspicous: a few stragglers now and then (such as found in the exiled criminals) could just be from disorganized survivors the Demon doesn't care much about, but an organized group annoying him with their antics must have come from somewhere better protected...

Mulsiphix
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
but an organized group annoying him with their antics must have come from somewhere better protected...I like this angle very much.