PDA

View Full Version : Old nice material

boulet
01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I know many people would like to keep old WoD and new WoD separated. I wanted to share my enthusiasm for an awesome city book which brought me and my players a very exciting setting for an occult and deviant campaign : Montreal by night (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=215&it=1). It's a very mature material, appropriate only for adult players (that's why it was published by Black Dog and not White Wolf).

If you're playing new WoD there's going to need a substantial work of adaptation to the new paradigm (Sabbat free). But you will be rewarded with a thick occult atmosphere and dozens of covenants/coteries in a city of cultural tensions and underground life.

Just though I would share... :)

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
While I'm not familiar with WOD enough to compare this to other works I did get this book in one of my recent eBay lot purchases. I read the first 20 pages and was absolutely enthralled. I want to play WOD so bad but feel that until I mature as a DM I would be doing the material an injustice by starting with it as my first true RP.

boulet
01-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Let me tell you a secret : there's no standard you have to achieve other than have fun with friends !

If you use Montreal by Night and end up spending storytelling bar fights between your players and a pack of anarchs who were just traveling across the country in a cheesy hippie VW van instead of using the more political core of the city plot well, it doesn't matter as long as your players have a memorable time. And maybe in a latter session they will finally get interested in the more sophisticated aspects of the setting...

I would hate to know that a story teller doesn't use some great WoD stuff just because he feels he wouldn't meet some criteria... Use what's appealing, leave the rest for later, that's fine too :)

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Growing up I only knew console gaming and RPG's were pretty much the only genre I truly loved. When I moved onto PC gaming Vampire The Masquerade quickly became my favorite game. I loved the game so much I would edit the voice files to create conversations that never happened. They were such a big hit (mainly I introduced comedy into characters that were solely serious) that I made a search engine of every word said by every character, no matter how small the part, in the game. When I think of WOD I think of the magic and mystery that I experienced when I played that game. Since that time I've become a huge horror fan. I want my first experiences within WOD to live up to my own expectations, although I'm careful not to set them too high. It is such a detailed setting that I fear it might be overwhelming as my first setting to DM in. My wife and I still are debating over whether we should get our start with D&D or WOD though. So much goodness on both sides of the fence :p

MortonStromgal
01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Mine was the Transylvania book for Dark Ages... sweet sweet metaplots and ideas.