PDA

View Full Version : New Rpg In Making

Bloodwyrm
01-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Hello Everyone I Am Currently Developing A Rpg Loosly Based on D&D Its Much Simpler And 50% Roleplay and 50% Combat If You Have Any Suggestions On Items, Monsters, Npcs, Town Names, etc... Just Post Or Email me At asawn@email.itt-tech.edu and ill email you a copy of the book when its done thanks for your time and input.

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 03:09 AM
I've got suggestions up the ying yang for just about anything. A little more info about your project would be most helpful and appreciated ;)

Bloodwyrm
01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
The Basic Idea Of This Project is The World is Made Of Forgotten Realms And My Own World Ideas. The Math Is More In Depth But Simplified. Fantasy Based Game But May Have GunPowder Weapons Not Sure On That. Basic Monsters From The Monster Manuals Are in Game But Exp System Will Be Revamped. Dc System Also Will Be Revamped(simpler) Basically to sum it all up its D & D But With A Serious Makeover. Making this game A Lot Easier to understand than D & D (to the normies). I Have Tested A Demo I Made Of IT With My Group And They Love It. I Need Ideas For Weaponry And Ideas For Monsters. i Also Need Ideas For Titles Of Land Masses and Possibly a new class or 2. I Also Need Some Ideas on Possible Npc Names. Maybe A Few Ideas on Races. I Basically Have Figured A Good Math System For All the dice rolls and such but if anyone wants to come up with a simpler suggestion feel free to post input. The Chance roll system i have come up with is as follows. A Character will get a certain percentage based on the skill needed. he/she then rolls 2 d10 of different colors 1 color being 10's and 1 being 1's if percentage is lower than % of skill+ % of object against than Sucess. other math is basic hp being 4 hp per vit point. and 3mp per int point. lvling stats is done by rolling stat die according to class than points distributed afterwards. (if anyone has any simpler math or wants to suggest a good math style then post)
Thanx.

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Maybe it is just me but I don't quite understand what changes you have made. So far all you've said is that several things have been changed and you might want to add a little of this or that. Do you have all of your changes compiled somewhere? Do you have a world map we could look at so we might be inspired when naming land masses? What kinds of monsters do you need? Simple little sheep or epic dragons? Without specific details it is hard to suggest anything. At this point I am compelled to whip out some of my books and start naming things from them, with a small change here or there so it isn't exactly what is in the original book.

As far as additional races, classes, feats, spells, abilities, etc... I highly recommend you give the following books a look: Field Folio (series), Monster Manual (series), Tome Of Horrors (series), The Complete Book Of Eldritch Might, Unearthed Arcana, Arcana Evolved, The Book Of Iron Might, and Ptolus. Just making a few small changes to items/creatures in those books would give you something unique without having to go all the way back to drawing board, so to speak.

Bloodwyrm
01-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Ok I Do Have Some Of The Changes On My Game compiled up in various notebooks. As For Ideas for Monsters i am looking for boss type monsters i Have All the lowly monsters done. as soon as i can get my map scanned on the computer ill give you a link to it. The Change i Forgot to Add Was i Made An Entirely New Character Sheet. And I Am In The Process Of Designing A Core Rulebook So Once Im Finished Ill Post It Up So There is a clearer Image Of My Project. Sorry For The Inconvienience...

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Sorry For The Inconvienience...Hey no worries. I just want to make sure I understand what your looking for and I personally enjoy looking at a map and deriving names that "come to me" based on what I see. I wouldn't label Louisiana "Boot" but its shape itself is somewhat inspiring you know? I look forward to you posting the information :p

tesral
01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
And I Am In The Process Of Designing A Core Rulebook So Once Im Finished Ill Post It Up So There is a clearer Image Of My Project. Sorry For The Inconvienience...

Not to pick nits, but do you buy capital letters in box car lots? Truly if you are looking to write an RPG you need to improve your English usage. It's a serious matter. If I opened a book in a hobby shop and saw your current writing style I would put it back unread. Likewise even PDF books, I would look at your introduction and look elsewhere.

Presentation is second only to content. Great content poorly presented remains unread.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Anybody who doesn't speak the language, a product is being created in, perfectly would surely pass the work by somebody who does for corrections. Such things are of little importance at this stage of creation.

Bloodwyrm
01-06-2008, 05:44 AM
I am usually a capital freak but i am getting better. I usually put a lot of capitals in my posts but not in the book so have no worries lol.

Bloodwyrm
01-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Iv'e Reached The Halfway Point In My Rpg I May Begin Testing On The OnRpg Server Sometime Soon Ill Keep Ya'll Posted..

Mulsiphix
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Sounds good. To try it out I'd have to know how to play D&D 3.X right?

Bloodwyrm
01-08-2008, 02:49 PM
nope you could be inexperieced at any roleplaying and learn it real quick basically no xp necessary.

Mulsiphix
01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Sounds like I might be a perfect candidate then. I've read a little from WOD, D&D 3.X, GURPS, Exalted, and a few other systems. Been racking my brain lately trying to commit to one. So while I have no solid knowledge of any major system, I'm a quick learner and would love to take part. I'm an avid BattleTech wargamer as well. Let me know when you start recruiting :D

Bloodwyrm
01-09-2008, 07:24 AM
just post up available times your able to do it and ill work with you into getting you a character sheet and rules packet.

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 03:59 AM
I work from home as an eBay reseller. I'm pretty much available all day. Anytime between 10am - 10pm CST would be just fine any day Sunday through Saturday ;). I've never played on OnRPG though. What kind of interface is that? Play by post, chat client, java, or?

Bloodwyrm
01-10-2008, 07:00 PM
its open rpg and its like a virtual tabetop its really good i currently play a few campaigns on it. my main available times are 9am-6pm on sunday-wednesday other than that im not usually on till sunday again (due to work) onnce and awile i will be on a weird time. talk to u soon

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Open RPG... ahh. I turned that software down when considering playing games online. Maybe this will change my perception of the softwares capabilities. I look forward to it :p

Bloodwyrm
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
cool just look for the mayhem gaming server im on that one usually.

Bloodwyrm
01-15-2008, 02:54 PM
ok everyone i just wanted to post an update on my rpg its about 75% done im working as hard as possible to complete it so i can post a link to the file for the core rulebook so bear with me thanxs

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Excellent *classic Mr. Burns hand movement*

Bloodwyrm
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
another update today: The Rpg Will Be Completed By The 31st of january i will post the entire rulebook link by the 2nd of febuary hope you all take a look at it. Thanks.

Drohem
01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I would be glad to take a look at it and give you some feedback. :)

OpenRPG? Has anyone actually downloaded it and had it work correctly? I tried deleting and it and couldn't get that stupid Python program off my computer! I had to reboot to previous system save.

Maelstrom
01-16-2008, 06:51 PM
I've used OpenRPG many times. The latest offerings are much more polished than in the past.

Python installs a virtual machine much like java, so it shouldn't cause any problems, even if you can't uninstall it.

Bloodwyrm
01-16-2008, 07:29 PM
i have it working as well so just reinstall it and keep python cause it safe.

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I've tried every online gaming client I could get my hands on and out of all of them openRPG was the worst. As an excuse you could say it is open source but at the same time you could argue it should be better because it is open source. I'd sooner use BattleGrounds than openRPG and that is saying a lot *shudders at the thought of using BattleGrounds*

Maelstrom
01-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd best not use another program then to avoid corrupting myself :)

It's fine for what I've used it for, and I haven't tried anything else, so I'm happy with it.

Yeah, open source is only as good as the team behind it. Too bad they picked python to go with or I might have given them a hand.

Mulsiphix
01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
I can't imagine using anything other than Klooge (http://www.kloogeinc.com/screenshots.html).

tesral
01-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, open source is only as good as the team behind it. Too bad they picked python to go with or I might have given them a hand.

What is wrong with Python per say? It a good scripting language. Now .net might be a good reason to stay far away. But I've never heard anyone dis Python.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 01:03 AM
I've heard plenty of dis'ing Python. It was once "the cat's meow" but C# really pushed it to the side. It is indeed a good scripting language but a poor choice when compared to the universal platform language JAVA and the supreme Windows based language (in the same league as Python anyway) C#.

Riftwalker
01-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm with tesral; I don't consider Python and C# or Java to really be in direct competition with each other since they're used for different tasks.

Besides, you can program in Python in Java using Jython. :)

Here's a link for the curious: http://www.jython.org

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 01:34 AM
I actually started learning Python and C# and I think C# is far more capable of Python. They may not be competing for market share but the number of Python users have dropped quite a bit since version 2 of .net came out.

tesral
01-19-2008, 03:33 AM
the supreme Windows based language (in the same league as Python anyway) C#.

I don't do windows. :D

Maelstrom
01-19-2008, 03:44 AM
I have nothing against Python, but I've picked up too many languages already to want to add one more just to help out a project I probably won't be able to commit to.

Up until recently I've been a C++ guy, coming from the 3d development world, but now I've branched out in Java and C#, and used Lua as my scripting language of choice.

One thing about C#... they really got their act together with Visual Studios 2005. I've never been able to develop so rapidly as I have using that language.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Its only downside is it isn't cross platform like JAVA. C# + cross platform = global programing language domination :eek:

Maelstrom
01-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Don't be so sure:

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

The whole .NET environment is meant to be cross-platform. Of course its not nearly as prevalent and refined as the cross-platform capabilities of Java, seeing that side of the world holds no love for Microsoft :).

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 01:45 PM
With GCC C++ is pretty cross-platform and with some inline assembly I can still flip bits :D Ok, my programs more deal with hardware or are pretty simple I'm not writing the next Excel.

Bloodwyrm
01-27-2008, 09:40 PM
wow tons of posts i havent been on in awile game is a little shaky have to postpone it until i can iron out some of the details.

Mulsiphix
01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
wow tons of posts i havent been on in awile game is a little shaky have to postpone it until i can iron out some of the details.No worries. I've been busy as can be. Just be sure to let us know if you pick up work on it again ;)