PDA

View Full Version : Old Gamer, new place.

tesral
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I am an aging SF fan with too much time on his hands. I was born in 1958 along with the space age. I saw every lift-off, major event, and splash-down of the first age of Space Exploration as it was happening. I know where I was when Kennedy was killed, and when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon. I hope in my heart to live long enough to remember where I was when man sets foot on Mars.

I am an old war gamer from back in the day. I have played D&D in some form since 1976 (no not one session). My hobbies include folk music, including that thing called Filk. I like to write, build models, and I am an enthusiastic computer geek that is into Amiga and Linux computers, I don't do windows.

I see role-playing games as a form of social activity. To that end I am not an enthusiast of the computer or e-mail game. I much prefer face to face.

Farcaster
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Amiga? I didn't know anyone outside of Europe still used those :p

Welcome a'board though! It looks like we have a number of players and campaigns going on in your area. Be sure to check out the Player Registry (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/memberlist.php), if you haven't already.

Digital Arcanist
01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Amiga? That is archaic!!! Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Welcome to the community. Sounds like you'll fit in quite nicely with the group that calls this forum home. Are you much of a Starship Troopers or Robert A. Heinlein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein) fan?

rabkala
01-03-2008, 08:13 AM
I see role-playing games as a form of social activity. To that end I am not an enthusiast of the computer or e-mail game. I much prefer face to face.
RPG's are great because they are social. If it wasn't for RPG's, I would be an anti-social hermit. Face-to-face gaming is the best, but an occasional online game can be fun for pure role-play or if you like to write.

Welcome

tesral
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the community. Sounds like you'll fit in quite nicely with the group that calls this forum home. Are you much of a Starship Troopers or Robert A. Heinlein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein) fan?

Met the man himself many a year ago. Would a signed hardcover of "Time Enough for Love" make me a fan? Yes Heinlein is one of my favorites.

As to the Amiga, yea, they are old, but sill useful. All the PDFs on my website are made using an old Amiga word processor called Final Writer. I have six or seven Amigas of various ages and usability. All work, but some are less useful than others. The old A1000 is just a toy. My A-1 is a recent and useful machine running a G-4 PPC and faster than my Linux Intel. Collecting the older computers is a hobby. I even have working C=64 and C-128 computers and an old XT out in the garage.

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Met the man himself many a year ago. Would a signed hardcover of "Time Enough for Love" make me a fan? Yes Heinlein is one of my favorites.I wish I had the pleasure of meeting him myself. I was introduced to Starship Troopers through the movie in 1997, fell in love with it when I saw Roughnecks the animated series, which led me to read the book, which led to me reading all of his fiction. I'm starting on his non-fiction now. He was truly ahead of his time. I'm very glad he had the pleasure of living a very full life :rolleyes:

nijineko
01-05-2008, 10:45 PM
welcome to the community!

another computer collector, ne? i had to dump over half of my collection when we last moved. (sigh) i'm down to some ppc, some x86, and a few g4. i fondly remember our old vic-20. and the ti-80 games i used to play.

(and there's nothing wrong with being a fatbeard! some of the best gamers are fatbeards. and we wouldn't have the plethora of wonderful games we have now without them. i can honestly say that i wanted to be a fatbeard when i grew up. =D )

tesral
01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
(and there's nothing wrong with being a fatbeard! some of the best gamers are fatbeards. and we wouldn't have the plethora of wonderful games we have now without them. i can honestly say that i wanted to be a fatbeard when i grew up. =D )

Someone checked out my website.

Mulsiphix
01-06-2008, 03:22 AM
That question nijineko is why you didn't get one when you grew up? I used to have a fat beard. I needed some cash about five years ago and my mom said she would give it to me if I shaved my fat beard. My face has spent the last five years quite cold and barren. I never felt right replacing ol' fatbeard....

rabkala
01-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I wrote some erotic fan fiction for Seven of Nine and fatbeards. A little fatbeard on borg action can go a long way. Should I submit it to your site directly?

tesral
01-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I wrote some erotic fan fiction for Seven of Nine and fatbeards. A little fatbeard on borg action can go a long way. Should I submit it to your site directly?

I like my eyes, I need my eyes. I would have to rip them out if I read that.

Mulsiphix
01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I'd like to read it. PM it to me or send it to me via E-Mail. I love such things (quite serious) :)