PDA

View Full Version : Hello all! New to this site

gered
01-02-2008, 01:39 AM
I've been playing for almost 16 years and love role playing games. My bio is pretty complete so checking that out will answer all you need to know. Or, how about I repost it here...

Most of this is answered in my BIO, but I am willing to try any game, because it's really about the people right? Read the bio below and see what you think. I am not your normal gamer and am shameless and honest about what you can expect from me, I don't want surprises any more than you.
I'm personable and easy to get along with.

I run a game once a week and am looking for some more players, I would also like to be in a game, if the GM doesn't mind me as a player.

As a game master:

Likes/dislikes:
•I like players who take initiative and “GM their own characters.” By this I mean: when a player takes an action, s/he has the power to co-create the scene, including the discovery of useful objects in his/her surroundings. For example, during an outdoor chase scene, a player might say, “I climb up a nearby tree, grab a thick vine of ivy and swing to another tree,” even though I have not described those trees or that vine. Unless there is some compelling reason not to, I will not only accept these inventions as part of the world, I will often incorporate them into my storytelling.
•I like when players are daring and crazy and make choices that make the story more interesting and I almost always reward that by giving them a little bit of divine favor.
•I especially like players that create inter-party intrigue or throw themselves into any intrigue I offer them.
•I’m not crazy about dice, I use them but I mostly use the rules as a loose guideline; my games are a little like Calvinball, meaning that both the players and I create the necessary rules as we go along and break them if we feel the game is better served that way. For example, we might decide that the scene where s/he decides to climb the tree and I would say that if most games use dice 50% of the time, I use them 25% of the time.

I am really good at:
•creating mysteries and riddles
•creating complex plots that have threads that characters can discover at any point in the game and unravel mysteries set up at the very beginning.
•Political intrigue that affects the story on multiple levels.
•I offer a lot of opportunity to create complex multi-layered characters that are not necessarily good or evil but have virtues and vices and flaws. And I reward those kinds of characters.
•Thinking tactically with combat
•POWER: I run my best games with extremely powerful characters, that's mostly because the rules are less important then.
•I am the best game master I have seen at keeping a game interesting at epic levels of power.

I am bad at:
•Following the rules
•Thinking tactically with magic systems
•Thinking tactically with bad rules

My games usually involve:
•Usually world changing events
•Powerful characters
•I like combat but it’s only about 25% and only in the context of a larger goal or plot point.
•Complex cosmology
•POLITICS!

All that being said, RPGs are about getting together with friends more than the game itself, so I’ve played and had fun with may types of games if the people are fun to be around.

As a player:
•Game masters find me a mixed blessing. I am kind of a prima donna in that I want my character to be unique in some sort of important way. I almost always seem to want something that gives me an edge and makes me special.
•Also, I hate it when the rules decree that my character can’t perform an action that I should obviously be able to perform using real world, non-game logic.
•On the good side I tend to figure out clues offered and play my character very intelligently. I will often notice plot elements and details that other players miss. I am usually fun for those game masters who want to be able to offer up subtle hints and hidden clues+-, meaning you won’t have to always resort to “gather information” checks.
All of this would seem to indicate that I would like the world of darkness system the best. However I like the game settings D&D offers, especially the Forgotten Realms.
It’s frustrating.

I know:
Living Myth
D20
White Wolf
Palladium
Gurps
and a few others

Mulsiphix
01-02-2008, 02:35 AM
Welcome to the community! For finding players the Player Registry is an invaluable tool and for recruiting players as a DM the Campaign Invitations (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) forum is perfect. I wish you the best of luck in finding gaming bliss in the near future.

Digital Arcanist
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the party!! Good luck in finding a group.

gered
01-03-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm actually surprised that there are this many on this site. Most of these player/DM locatior services just don't have the membership to be effective, but I've had several messages already.

Very cool

-G

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 02:54 AM
Initiative provides rewards. Glad to hear your already on your way to finding your next gaming experience :P

rabkala
01-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Welcome aboard. You sound like a great addition to any group. In fact you sound like just an old player of mine named Eric, though last I heard from him he was in TN.

On the good side I tend to figure out clues offered and play my character very intelligently. I will often notice plot elements and details that other players miss. I am usually fun for those game masters who want to be able to offer up subtle hints and hidden clues+-, meaning you won’t have to always resort to “gather information” checks.

Have you ever had those players, where even after you spell it out for them they just give you that blank expression.

ME (exasperated): Ok, these are your five choices. These are the clues,...
Player: Duh....
ME (infuriated): Come on, this isn't rocket science. Just make a decision, it doesn't get any clearer.
Player (vacantly staring into space): Ahhh, what were the choices again?
ME (putting on boots to eject the player in style)

Politics can be incredible in a game with the right players.

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Politics can be incredible in a game with the right players.Well said. With the right players in a World Of Darkness campaign, politics can be the sexiest thing on the planet. Unfortunately nobody I've come across is interested in such things. Is it just me or does Generation Me not enjoy exercising their minds? "Duh *point, click, drool; repeat* Duh...... Peter have FUN! Peter happy Peter think... Duh" :(