PDA

View Full Version : a frog in CT

boulet
01-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Hello,

I'm a player/story teller from France but I reside in CT. I have played on and of for 20 years and my favorite games are part of White Wolf's World of Darkness (old and new). I'd be glad to join adult players around me either as a player or story teller. Private messages welcome :)

rabkala
01-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Welcome aboard! It's great to have more experienced people around. Check out the Horror/Dark Future area and give us some of your thoughts on WoD. Do you notice any significant differences in playing in the states?

Mulsiphix
01-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the community. I'm an aspiring WOD storyteller myself. I'd love to hear about some of your thoughts on the old vs new WOD as well as some of your most memorable moments.

boulet
01-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys ! I don't know if I have much of an extra insight at role playing, I have a thorough knowledge of French RPG which are probably unheard of here and never have been translated. The United States is the role playing game place of birth and I must say that my English owes much to my need in the past to read untranslated American material. But France has a very creative though local only role playing writers community.

I'll try to find a little time to share my views and experience about the WoD soon.

Happy new year to all !

Mulsiphix
01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm dying to know, what was/is your favorite french only RPG and why?

boulet
01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
It's tough to pick only one, many have been so entertaining...

I just checked wikipedia and I was wrong ! My favorite french game has been translated and it's called Rve: the Dream Ouroboros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%AAve:_the_Dream_Ouroboros)

I love this game because of the very personal approach to role playing that the author has managed to bring to life. It's not just a game to him, it's a catharsis, almost a lifetime work though he's a novel writer too. I already loved his game when I met him at a convention, and after meeting him I felt very modest about what role playing could mean to some people. It reaches some form of devotion sometimes...

I'm being very abstract there but the best way you could feel the essence of the game would be to read one of the campaign books. Each one of them had an atmosphere and a coherency of its own like a novel. Actually one of my friend and I used to dispute which of the two would have the privilege to run the next campaign before it was even published ! Among the group who played this game I can say that the impact is everlasting : 15 years after playing a specific campaign we can still remember it in details and laugh about the good times...

I suppose every role player has there own favorite game, memories of good old time and reverence to a specific RPG creator, but Reve has this very peculiar smart heroic fantasy world with something of Monty Python that made you feel like never becoming too serious about it and enjoy a fantastic story telling.

Farcaster
01-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Bienvenue, Monsieur Boulet, Pen et Paper Games. :D

boulet
01-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Merci bien et bonne annee !

Let me say that I love your website : the features are great and easy to use. The pages show smoothly, it's the best RPG board I have seen so far !

Xionicist
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm glad to meet you! Your favorite French game looks incredible! I definitely would love to play that sometime. :)

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 12:53 AM
I'll have to add this game to my list of "must read book first hand". Getting into the PnP game as late as I am I've been approving games based on very loose and probably quite unfair criteria. Thanks for the referral :D

Farcaster
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Let me say that I love your website : the features are great and easy to use. The pages show smoothly, it's the best RPG board I have seen so far !

Thank you kindly! Our goal is to have the best RPG player finding and social networking services anywhere on the net, and so far I think we've got it.

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Thank you kindly! Our goal is to have the best RPG player finding and social networking services anywhere on the net, and so far I think we've got it.Hands down. I found this website first but continued to look into the competition before I decided on one to spend all my time at. The choice was a very easy one to make. Keep those new features and improvements on current features coming and you should have no trouble staying ahead of the pack :cool:

nijineko
01-05-2008, 10:40 PM
welcome to the community! i know that france is a big country, but i can't help asking if you happen to know the gentleman who makes RPGMapMaker, also himself a frenchman, if i recall correctly. online circles of relations and all that.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Your tools are so outdated nijineko. Ever heard of Campaign Cartographer, Dunjinni, or even the much lower profile Dungeon Crafter?

*whispers "MapTool is the key to your salvation. GameTable will be the downfall of man and digital entities alike! Join with it, succumb to its open source pleasures, join its community IN THE VOID.*

boulet
01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
welcome to the community! i know that france is a big country, but i can't help asking if you happen to know the gentleman who makes RPGMapMaker, also himself a frenchman, if i recall correctly. online circles of relations and all that.

Sorry Nijneko I don't know the guy.