PDA

View Full Version : Evergreen

NerdBird
12-29-2007, 05:18 PM
The Evergreen is the largest passenger liner in known space, and her route is taking her to the edge of Imperial Space.

When I say large, I'm talking about a quarter million crew members and two million passengers and the ship is at less than 1/4 capacity.

So in addition to being able to role-play aboard a partially deserted ship, you also have a new destination every two months or so. Currently the ship is in high orbit around the planet Leafbill where even the natural laws seem enforced by *something*.

Oh, and in addition to that, the Evergreen was built to be the ultimate military dreadnought with a huge unknown weapon that was taken away by an unknown alien with god-like powers leaving behind an area of the ship that is extremely strange. And if that isn't enough, it's said that the ship is haunted.

OK, details about the campaign.

The genre is Space Opera with a health dose of fantasy. My campaign style is cinematic. The game universe came about when I was trying to justify the computers in the game of Traveler.

The fictional inspirations for this game, in no particular order are:
Traveler, the game
EE Doc Smith
HP Lovecraft
Greg Egan
Charles Stross (specifically _The Atrocity Archives_ and its sequal)
Manga
American comics alsoThe characters in the game can range from fairly ordinary to almost super-heroic. Currently the players are ranging towards the higher end of this spectrum.

The game is an on-line play-by-post thing. The software was written by myself and is kind of clunky but it works.

To try it, go to http://enerd.ws/gt/ and use the name and password of "guest". Look at the discussions. Browse through the glossary.

Please join the game. The current players will need allies. :)

Thank you for reading this.

Mulsiphix
12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
So how many players are in this campaign? Is this a new campaign or is it ongoing?

NerdBird
12-30-2007, 01:31 AM
So how many players are in this campaign? Is this a new campaign or is it ongoing?

The campaign isn't that old and there are currently only a few players. I lost one when he just dropped off the face of the earth.

I'm looking for about a dozen players total. There are still many more openings.

I hesitate to mention the exact number of players because I want to blur the distinction between player and non-player characters.

nijineko
12-30-2007, 05:37 AM
how frequent a response is desired? and when you talk about such a wide variety of characters and tri-stat, are we talking besm? or just vanilla tri-stat? or somewhere around one of those? what don't you want to see?

Mulsiphix
12-30-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm generally confused on what kind of game your actually running. Almost sounds like your running a MUD or PBP MMO.

NerdBird
12-30-2007, 01:27 PM
how frequent a response is desired? and when you talk about such a wide variety of characters and tri-stat, are we talking besm? or just vanilla tri-stat? or somewhere around one of those? what don't you want to see?

The response time desired depends on what's happening. I've had some players respond several times during the day; some once a week (in a previous game).

I find that at least once a day is good for most situations.

As for the system, I usually write up the character's stats for my own use. The players just send me a description of their character and we negotiate. I don't want numbers getting in the way of creativity.

NerdBird
12-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm generally confused on what kind of game your actually running. Almost sounds like your running a MUD or PBP MMO.

I've never played in a MUD, and I'm not sure what an MMO is.

This is basically a normal campaign with a single GM (myself) and players. I started using the web because I live in a college town, and one year I lost all my players (graduation, some people moved because of jobs, a marriage, that sort of thing). So I contacted them via email and we played a game with this system.

Grovetalk (http://enerd.ws/gt/) is a combination of forums, messaging, and a glossary. It's user interface is clunky, but it has one important feature to me as a GM: I can read all the inter-character messages and I can send messages or post in the discussions as anybody I want.

This makes it easy to blur the distinction between PCs and NPCs. Also, when one player went on vacation during a prison break, I was able to play his character and nobody knew.

Does this answer your questions?

Mulsiphix
12-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Sounds interesting. Just for reference: MUD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD) & MMO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMO)

NerdBird
12-30-2007, 01:56 PM

Sorry Nijineko, I forgot to answer your last question.

"What don't you want to see?"

My answer would have to be "Rosanne Barr naked". :)

Seriously, almost anything goes. Please browse the glossary first and communicate with my privately for character specifics.

One thing is that there are no normal SF robots or computers in the game. There are strong limitations on computers by Imperial Law. I'm not saying you can't break these laws, but you should do so knowing the consequences and very few people know the true reason behind these laws. AIs are totally out. A powerful computer, one that runs a scout ship is about as powerful as a 1990s desktop and is much bigger.

On the other hand, biotech is a lot more common and accepted. There are psionic abilities (under the name of Metapsychics or Psychics) and there are those that claim that there is magic. There are two groups that claim to be descended from the mythical Jedi Knights of the old Republic: The Magi of the Silver Rose, and the Knights of Sun and Shadow.

Longevity treatments are available, but there is a social price. The normal lifespan of an Imperial citizen with normal health care is about 300 years. The financial laws penalize those who live longer than 500 years, so that these "Meths" (Methuselahs) don't rule the Imperium through financial power.

If you browse the discussions and the glossary, there may be some characters that you could ask to play.

You'll notice that many of the names in the glossary listed as high ranking members of "The Path of the Sword" (an informal martial arts association endorsed by the Imperium) are Meths. Think about it: a person who has had hundreds of years to practice fighting will probably be better than a normal person, but not necessarily.

For example, two characters are going to be taking an ill-fated airship tour of the planet Leafbill (not the whole planet of course). One is a Meth who can fight well because of his other choices for his character -- he doesn't fight much, but he can defend himself against almost anybody when he has to. The other is the really dangerous one.

If you read the discussion "The First Dance at Brady's" the character of "Leathers" is up for grabs. The player disappeared.

nijineko
12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
how much background material is available? societies and briefs about them? general idea of the mechanics you use to determine whether something is doable or not? if you want rules lite, you should look into the fung shui rpg. very action oriented, while not being overwhelming on the numbers.

i guess i shouldn't mention mucks then, if you are not familiar with moos or muds. (multi-user-dungeon) check out newmoon sometime for a very high quality example of a mud. http://eclipse.cs.pdx.edu/ you'll need a telnet client to play. or animemuck for a good example of a purely social one. http://animemuck.org/

Mulsiphix
12-31-2007, 06:01 PM
NerdBird are there any bugs in your software? You said it is something you threw together a while back and that it gets the job done. Any plans to improve it or is it pretty much "as-is" for now?

NerdBird
12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
NerdBird are there any bugs in your software? You said it is something you threw together a while back and that it gets the job done. Any plans to improve it or is it pretty much "as-is" for now?

Currently I haven't run into any bugs in a while, but the user-interface is clunky and doesn't use anything fancy other than very vanilla HTML. The data is stored in a PostgreSQL database.

This was my third major web app and was designed around some interesting instructional principles (I worked for Penn State before I quit to take care of my wife).

Feel free to try things out. http://enerd.ws/gt/

NerdBird
12-31-2007, 08:26 PM
how much background material is available? societies and briefs about them? general idea of the mechanics you use to determine whether something is doable or not? if you want rules lite, you should look into the fung shui rpg. very action oriented, while not being overwhelming on the numbers.

There is a decent amount of background material in the glossary at http://enerd.ws/gt/ (name and password "guest"). Just go to the glossary and double-click on an item to see it.

"Imperial Timeline" may be a good starting place.

I use the TriStat system for my own personal use, and try to just use descriptions for people.

Mulsiphix
12-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Feel free to try things out. http://enerd.ws/gt/Vanilla is right lol. But at least it gets the job done. I'm curious why you haven't switched over to something like PHPBB or Vbulletin forum software. Seems like that would be capable of everything your doing now and would offer you even more room for customization. The great thing about both is they have large communities that have plenty of hard working moders. You could easily enhance your game without having to do any work beyond installing a plugin/script.

NerdBird
12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
i guess i shouldn't mention mucks then, if you are not familiar with moos or muds. (multi-user-dungeon)

OK, I should have said that I have never used a MUD or derivative thereof. And I've never played in an MMO so I didn't know the abbreviation.

This is free game (I'm doing it for fun and to have a semblance of social life); I have GM'ed for many years when I was younger. I have a lot of time in odd blocks so I would like two or three groups on the ship.

NerdBird
12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Vanilla is right lol. But at least it gets the job done. I'm curious why you haven't switched over to something like PHPBB or Vbulletin forum software. Seems like that would be capable of everything your doing now and would offer you even more room for customization. The great thing about both is they have large communities that have plenty of hard working moders. You could easily enhance your game without having to do any work beyond installing a plugin/script.

I'll look at them.

The main reason I use my software is that I can easily respond to any post as any number of NPCs easily and simply and don't have to log out and back in again, and I hadn't seen anything that would allow me to do this at that time.

There are also some interesting grouping features that I haven't had to use in a while so I probably don't need them.
Is this board run on VBulletin?

Mulsiphix
12-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes this board is. PHPBB is free and VBulletin requires a license. There are some other competitors for forum software/scripts but these two are the most common in my travels. As far as customization is concerned, PHPBB is probably has the largest community and is the easiest to mod. However it is also notorious for being updated constantly due to people finding cracks, back doors, etc... Also installing plugins can sometimes be a hassle or cause serious problems if you don't have backups of all the files being modified. For the most part is it easy to work with but if you run into trouble PHPBB is going to give you some headaches.

VBulletin is much more refined and is quite customizable as this forum demonstrates. If I were to open a new forum I would definitely go with VBulletin as it is generally much more capable as far as I am concerned. I'm really not sure if any mods exist for you to easily control multiple users without having to relogin. I'm sure a script could be programmed easily enough if you knew what you were doing. If you don't it wouldn't be too hard to find somebody who could create what you needed.

If your comfortable where you are though and it serves your purposes well, why change? I'm a big fan of VBulletin and I like the GUI, its capabilities, and the vast options. From what I saw you didn't have a massive amount of progress cataloged so far, so if your considering moving, I would do it as soon as possible.

NerdBird
12-31-2007, 09:18 PM
VBulletin is much more refined and is quite customizable as this forum demonstrates. If I were to open a new forum I would definitely go with VBulletin as it is generally much more capable as far as I am concerned. I'm really not sure if any mods exist for you to easily control multiple users without having to relogin. I'm sure a script could be programmed easily enough if you knew what you were doing. If you don't it wouldn't be too hard to find somebody who could create what you needed.

If your comfortable where you are though and it serves your purposes well, why change? I'm a big fan of VBulletin and I like the GUI, its capabilities, and the vast options. From what I saw you didn't have a massive amount of progress cataloged so far, so if your considering moving, I would do it as soon as possible.

I would have to check things out. I have pretty good control over my enerd.ws site (that machine I own, but it's also in use by the people who provide the bandwidth, so I don't have complete control). I also have the domain penguinflys.com (and penguinflies.com - the misspelling was deliberate but most people didn't understand), and I'm allowed perl, php, and python there.

And I can do my own programming if my life doesn't intervene; however, I do appreciate help and suggestions.

And Vbulletin doesn't look too expensive if I decided to go that way.