PDA

View Full Version : A couple more forum suggestions...

Riftwalker
12-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Just had another couple "wishlist" forum feature type things to run by you, Farcaster. I'd *love* to see some of the below in support of a game I'd like to try out:

(Shameless plug!)

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4715

Would it be possible for either a moderator of a forum (i.e. a DM) to embed the following in his/her posts:
Streaming music
Streaming video (either generically or from somewhere like youtube?)
FlashSo as to prevent unnecessary bandwidth, the content to be embedded could be served from somewhere else on the internet.

I'd imagine you'd only want people of moderator-level access to post such things. Of course, nothing should play "automatically" but require the user to press the "play" button or something along those lines.

rabkala
12-29-2007, 01:11 AM
Sounds complicated to me. Then again, turning the computer on is such a chore, I've considered getting the clapper.:D

Where do you come up with all this stuff RW?

Riftwalker
12-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Where do you come up with all this stuff RW?

Who knows. Maybe I'm just batty! :D

I guess I consider pnp/pbp gaming to be a fairly liberating experience when compared to, say, rpg video gaming for a bunch of reasons I won't go into here. However, there definitely have been moments while playing some video game rpgs that I get all caught up in the moment/action due to really well-placed dramatic music. I don't know if that's because I'm more aware of music (like during movies and video games) than other people or what.

Adding some multimedia to establish context/mood to a pbp game could be a really cool thing that's relatively easy to do. The teaser video for the campaign I want to try it out for didn't take that long to make. (I'm not saying it's an exemplar of video production either, but it hopefully serves its purpose.)

rabkala
12-29-2007, 01:47 AM
The game could be interesting with all the added bits. I would have never thought to link the multi media with a PBP game.

I did have a problem with the link for the teaser video, It says...

Error #401: Authorization Required!

This means that you do not possess the requisite authorization to access the URL.

Riftwalker
12-29-2007, 01:51 AM
I put a username and password on it to restrict it to the penandpapergames.com community since I didn't just want it out on the internet being processed by web-crawlers and such.

When you click the link:

http://www.crystalcognition.com/riftwalker/protected/semndons-apprentice.wmv

Your browser should let you type in a username and password. The user/password I've set up for it is:

User: penandpapergames
Pass: conjuration

Let me know if you have further issues. What browser are you using?

rabkala
12-29-2007, 02:07 AM
I am using the latest FireFox. That did the trick.

The video is very Nice. Your computer skills obviously dwarf mine.

I would have to say I would use the secrets for something sinister, I'm just evil that way. ;)

Mulsiphix
12-29-2007, 11:57 AM
This would be a very simple change for Farcaster. All he would have to do is create a new group and give it permissions to use specific HTML tags within posts. The main reason he may not allow this though is that any DM could then potentially post very inappropriate stuff on the forum or use the code to hack or otherwise exploit their way into the admin section of the forum. They would really have to know what they were doing but the security threat is still there. Making your request possible would be pretty simple task though.

Riftwalker
12-30-2007, 11:39 PM
The video is very Nice. Your computer skills obviously dwarf mine.

I would have to say I would use the secrets for something sinister, I'm just evil that way. ;)

Thanks! Once the campaign starts I'd like to post all the materials so others can follow along if they want. (Maybe that's a bit presumptuous, but since it takes a little setup time to make a video like that it'd be nice if more than two people saw it ever.)

I made the video by screen-capturing a powerpoint presentation and then set it to music. I take no credit for the actual artwork or the music. Anyone that recognizes them gets a cookie.

@ Mulsiphix: Agreed. Regarding the security issues, though, it would be possible (I believe) to set up a [video] and [audio] custom BBCode tag that loaded up a flash video / mp3 player or something. The issue of the DM posting inappropriate material would still be there, however. I'm not sure how you could ever fully prevent that, however, you could say the same thing about images, and people have linked those in and it hasn't been a problem.

Not that I'd post anything offensive, but if there was something that some people *may* find offensive, we now have:

OMG possibly offensive content!

Mulsiphix
12-30-2007, 11:49 PM
I feel your SHOW dialog was very inappropriate :D. I agree that people could easily abuse image posting and they haven't so far. I figure any DM who is dedicated enough to run a PBP should be given the ability to post video and audio. If it is something that might be offensive the DM could include a warning directly above the show button. If somebody violates the rules then their account could just be set back to the normal group everybody else is cataloged under. I think it would be a very nice addition to the PBP campaigns and is definitely worth considering. I'm interested in what Farcaster thinks :rolleyes:

Digital Arcanist
12-31-2007, 12:00 AM
I think Farcaster is thinking...Uhg!!! More work.:(

But thats why we pay him the big bucks!;):D

Mulsiphix
12-31-2007, 12:41 AM
Speaking of PAYing I need to get my wife to setup that account and donate :D. Thanks for the indirect reminder Digital Arcanist.

Riftwalker
01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I think Farcaster is thinking...Uhg!!! More work.:(

Just curious: Farcaster, can you post somewhere which features/suggestions you're working on just to get a rough idea about which features you're considering, which you aren't (for whatever reason), which are higher/lower in priority, etc.? It's difficult/impossible for me to distinguish between ideas that you are interested in pursuing, ideas you're not interested in pursuing, and ones you simply haven't read yet.

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I would love to see such a list as well. Although if it would take too much time away from your creation time then I'd rather see new features than read about 'em.

Farcaster
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I do have a list, but it isn't in a form that is ready for public consumption. The enhancements I am most interested in working on right now are improvements to the registry and other social-networking features.

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Glad to see you've prioritized on the side of social networking. I'd love some more forum features but they are hardly important when networking improvement is possible.