PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dark Future Games

fmitchell
12-27-2007, 03:50 AM
Yet another "favorite game" poll, this time for the "Dark Future" half of this board.

fmitchell
12-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Argh, I forgot about the following games/subgenres:

Conspiracy X and other "ten minutes into the future" conspiracy games

Post-apocalyptic games like Tribe 8 or Daemornia. (Any examples without demons?)

Angels-and-demons games like Armageddon and In Nomine

"Other" might be a popular choice ...

Olothfaern
12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
...Shadowrun all day. All the dark future games are pretty dystopian, but at least it was feasible to retire to the good life in Shadowrun.

Mulsiphix
12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
I've gotta go with Cyberpunk. There is just something about cyberpunk storylines that make the future sexy in a gritty "Judge Dredd", "Snatcher (SegaCD anybody?), and Hell (3DO anybody?) kind of way.

fmitchell
12-29-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't think I've ever played in a "Dark Future" campaign, per se. I own GURPS Cthulhupunk, GURPS Voodoo, and GURPS Cyberpunk, and used to own an old edition of Shadowrun, but never got to use any of them.

Stuff I'd like to try, though, include:

An occult future game. Shadowrun had elves, orcs, and other classic fantasy trappings: if you stripped out the Tolkien races and just went with spirits and urban monsters, I'd be more interested. Something more like GURPS Voodoo or a more Clive Barker-ish GURPS Cthulhupunk ... maybe mix in creatures from The Book of Unremitting Horror.

A post-apocalyptic world played straight: no zombies or demons, just people trying to survive after the catastrophic collapse of human civilization. Some are trying to found a new civilization, others see no future and pillage just to survive one more day. Something like The Postman (book, please), Mad Max, or A Canticle for Leibowitz.

A true dystopian future ... although maybe that would be too much like present day to actually be fun.

A secret war, set "ten minutes into the future", between some alien or supernatural threat and self-appointed human or superhuman guardians of mankind. Less of a grab-bag like X-Files or Men in Black, more the BBC miniseries Ultraviolet or, well, The World of Darkness.

Mulsiphix
12-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Clive Barker-ish? I would kill to play something clive barker-ish. Or even Dean Koontz-ish reminiscent of Phantoms. Could you imagine a HellRaiser RPG? Friggin SWEEEET!

MortonStromgal
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok I voted for SLA but other than initiative I hate the mechanics, but as a setting its my favorite.

Drohem
01-17-2008, 05:46 PM
hehe..with my X-Mas cash I picked up copy of A/State by Contested Ground Studios; which is a RPG company out of Scotland.

I am pretty damn intrigued by the setting and the system.

The setting takes place within a sprawling metropolis. It's not quite clear exactly what happened to the city; either a nuclear holocaust or the city shifted planes of extistence. There is some kind of barrier that prevents the inhabitants from leaving the city; no one has left and come back alive. There is a race that is either ghostly or phase-shifters that live in the city as well; and there is an uneasy balance there.

The mechanics are skill-based percentile with point-buy for character creation.

I really would like to play this game someday. :cool:

They have a free A/State Lite version for download at their website. Check it out:

http://www.contestedground.co.uk/astlite.html

Mulsiphix
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Drohem you buy more systems than I can recall which is ten kinds of awesome. When I grow up I want to be just like you :D

Drohem
01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Drohem you buy more systems than I can recall which is ten kinds of awesome. When I grow up I want to be just like you :D

Well, I came to terms with the fact that I am a RPG geek/nerd/dweeb/whatever a long time ago, and that this is my chosen hobby and creative outlet.

My philosophy is that everyone is a nerd/geek about their chosen hobby. If you talk to anyone who is really into needlepoint, it would sound just like a gamer talking about their hobby; they'd use terms you didn't understand, they'd be passionate about it, and you just won't get it like they do.

Also, I am bit complusive and used to collect everything. Over the years I have reduced my collecting to just table-top RPGs. I used to collect dice, minatures, books, weapons, pens, pencils, vinyl, cassettes, DVDs, etc. Now, I am married and have to two children. My wife has accepted my RPG collecting (it was part of the package deal :)), but I just can't add anything else anymore.

boulet
01-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I like WoD but I can hardly assimilate it to "dark future". It's an alternative dark "now" they describe in these books, not really a future.

fmitchell
01-17-2008, 08:22 PM
I like WoD but I can hardly assimilate it to "dark future". It's an alternative dark "now" they describe in these books, not really a future.

As originally written, but I think someone on the boards said he used WoD to play a near-future campaign. It's not much of a stretch, especially if you're going only 10-20 years into the future: new toys, maybe ubiquitous computing or some other "next big thing". Or, as in Monte Cook's vision, the world might have gone backwards due to some catastrophic event.

Drohem
01-17-2008, 08:25 PM
And certainly with NWoD you can play mortals now in the near dark future. :cool:

MortonStromgal
01-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Well nWOD is my GURPS... yes you hear it right if I don't have a system for it out comes nWOD and I start making stuff up for it. Mr. Gone has been nice enough to have all those wonderful fonts on his website to. I also *****ed about no dark ages nWOD mortal sheet and a week later he posted one... :o I felt kinda bad about it. I know someone without googlefoo is going to ask for a link so here you go. http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 12:00 AM
nWOD is your GURPS? You mean you create worlds for your nWOD characters to play in or?

fmitchell
01-18-2008, 12:18 AM
The New World of Darkness system is close to being a generic system, on a par with Basic Roleplaying, Omni System, Unisystem, etc. It's not my cup of tea, but it's certainly serviceable.

The problems I see with using nWoD as a generic system revolve around finding material for other genres. GURPS has that in spades, the new Basic Roleplaying will supplement that lack (if you can't scare up Worlds of Wonder or another out-of-print Chaosium release in the relevant genre), and most of the others have worldbooks in multiple genres. To date, White Wolf has concentrated on modern horror/gothic, with the occasional excursion into the Middle Ages (or, recently, Rome).

Specific holes I can see:

A catalog of futuristic gear.
Spaceship and starship rules. (Are there even rules for modern/historical vehicles?)
Rules for historic/modern military equipment, if you need that sort of thing.
A traditional fantasy magic system, where wizards don't totally dominate mortals (that is, not Mage).
Nonhuman creatures that aren't spirits, vampires, werewolves, Scions, Prometheans, or Changelings ... for example aliens and stock fantasy "races"/species.
Superpowers (although I haven't read anything in the Scion series)

Yes, you can always borrow from GURPS and other games, but it does seem like more work for the GM than picking a system geared to a genre, or systems with support for multi-genre play.

Drohem
01-18-2008, 12:31 AM
fmitchell pretty much covered it :cool:

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 01:54 AM
fmitchell your saying you use the nWOD system for games other than WOD? From what you posted it sounds like GURPS except it is missing support for the genres that GURPS is most famous for catering too. However, if I understood you correctly the nWOD system would be perfect for "GURPSing" any type of horror campaign (technology and history aside of course)?

Drohem
01-18-2008, 02:13 AM
The NWoD can be considered an universal system similiar to GURPS; meaning you could build a campaign for any genre.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Interesting indeed. How well would using the nWOD system as the universal rule system for playing the oWOD work out? I've read the rules for oWOD are sparse and not exactly all in one place. That the different WOD game lines don't really blend well as they weren't originally designed to be mixed.

Drohem
01-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Interesting indeed. How well would using the nWOD system as the universal rule system for playing the oWOD work out? I've read the rules for oWOD are sparse and not exactly all in one place. That the different WOD game lines don't really blend well as they weren't originally designed to be mixed.

In the OWoD line, there is a serious power disparity between the games and creatures; mummies were generally considered the weakest. The NWoD addresses this issue for the most part.

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
The New World of Darkness system is close to being a generic system, on a par with Basic Roleplaying, Omni System, Unisystem, etc. It's not my cup of tea, but it's certainly serviceable.

The problems I see with using nWoD as a generic system revolve around finding material for other genres. GURPS has that in spades, the new Basic Roleplaying will supplement that lack (if you can't scare up Worlds of Wonder or another out-of-print Chaosium release in the relevant genre), and most of the others have worldbooks in multiple genres. To date, White Wolf has concentrated on modern horror/gothic, with the occasional excursion into the Middle Ages (or, recently, Rome).

Specific holes I can see:
A catalog of futuristic gear.
Spaceship and starship rules. (Are there even rules for modern/historical vehicles?)
Rules for historic/modern military equipment, if you need that sort of thing.
A traditional fantasy magic system, where wizards don't totally dominate mortals (that is, not Mage).
Nonhuman creatures that aren't spirits, vampires, werewolves, Scions, Prometheans, or Changelings ... for example aliens and stock fantasy "races"/species.
Superpowers (although I haven't read anything in the Scion series)Yes, you can always borrow from GURPS and other games, but it does seem like more work for the GM than picking a system geared to a genre, or systems with support for multi-genre play.

Mostly right, I'm not suggesting anyone do it I have enough other RPG matieral to steal ideas from and I know that whatever I need is 1-5 for standard 6+ for supernatural. Heres what I would do in your specific problems. I'll fully admit GURPS is better at this but I find the time saved by everyone making their characters in 5 min is worth the loss of source books.

A catalog of futuristic gear. - Shadowrun Books - Read it and then grab a similar power from Vampire/Werewolf/etc

Spaceship and starship rules. (Are there even rules for modern/historical vehicles?) - Old FASA Star Trek - And make it up

Rules for historic/modern military equipment, - Covered by Armory

A traditional fantasy magic system, where wizards don't totally dominate mortals (that is, not Mage). - Covered by Second Sight

Nonhuman creatures that aren't spirits, vampires, werewolves, Scions, Prometheans, or Changelings ... for example aliens and stock fantasy "races"/species. - D&D - And then make it up

Superpowers (although I haven't read anything in the Scion series) - Covered by all whitwolf worlds Vampire/Mage/Werewolf/Changling/Promethean

Again, its what I do. Not for everyone nor the best solution. Also again the reason I do it is to save time at character creation (gurps usually takes my group 3+ hours to make a character where as nWOD is 5min) Once your in game with rare exeptions the systems take similar time to resolve. Gurps is a little bit slower with full automatic weapons and a couple other places but nWOD could take as long or longer if a lot of 10s are rolled.

Drohem
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Also again the reason I do it is to save time at character creation (gurps usually takes my group 3+ hours to make a character where as nWOD is 5min)

Gah! Maybe the first couple of characters you ever created, but after you've done it a couple of times I see it taking that long. :confused:

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Its the advantages and disadvatages... If you don't have a clear idea of what you want there are too many options. If nWOD gave you a ton of merit points I could see the same thing happening. The GM could fix this by cutting the lists down of course (which is the better solution) but I choose to do the harder and make stuff up for nWOD :D oh and I love how nWOD does flaws! and have an irrational hate pt buy flaws.

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Three hours seems a bit much. If I go with GURPS I plan to give all my players a list of what is not allowed for characters before they show up. I'll provide them with basic 50 point templates for reference as to what I think would be useful for the setting. Using something like the GURPS Character Assistant would also greatly speed things up. I think the majority of the time wasted here is done so by the players and is not necessarily the fault of the system, but human indecision. Then again I plan to not let any players in the door unless they have a completed character in hand lol.

MortonStromgal
01-18-2008, 11:51 PM
human indecision.

Yeah thats pretty much it...

trechriron
06-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Generally I like several settings like;

Shadowrun
Cyberpunk (I usually roll my own setting as 2020 seems outdated to me)
Cthulu (in my sci-fi like Cthulutech or Cthulupunk)
Transhuman Space (rocks the casbah but it's not really "dark")

I generally roll my own future and focus more on biotech, nano-tech, AI's, and a Dystopian cityscape like in Judge Dredd.

BigUgly
07-15-2008, 01:34 AM
I would have to add Dark Conspiracy by GDW to the list. Its one of my all time favprite games.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I would have to add Dark Conspiracy by GDW to the list. Its one of my all time favprite games.
Have you played it yet? I'd love to know your thoughts on it. I'm a big WFRP fan and am looking forward to playing this game.

Thoth-Amon

BigUgly
07-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Haven't played any new versions of the game but spent many hours in the late 80's chasing Dark Minions through out the world. Remember doing a great adventure with a church that was in between the the Berlin wall, or i should say the wall was built around it. My ex-wife played it once and she was so scared she refused to play Dark Conspiracy again.

MortonStromgal
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Thoth-Amon, You mean Dark Hersey (ie warhammer 40k)
Dark Conspiracy is a game from the 80s that uses the GDW system. I thought Dark Conspiracy was awesome until I owned the book and realized how my GM shielded me from all the cheesy.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Thoth-Amon, You mean Dark Hersey (ie warhammer 40k)
Dark Conspiracy is a game from the 80s that uses the GDW system. I thought Dark Conspiracy was awesome until I owned the book and realized how my GM shielded me from all the cheesy.
I did, but the genre seemed the same and the answer i received encouraged me to look up the game and mentally note to purchase it on Ebay. So really, w/o even knowing it, i was asking about both games.

You got me curious about the "cheese." Explain what you liked about your game and what you were glad was removed(in 20/20 hindsight), by your GM. This goes for anyone who wishes to share, btw. Thanks,

Thoth-Amon

MortonStromgal
07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Well the premise is WONDERFUL! dark creatures, secret societies, etc. Then you start reading and its really GDW's verison of Shadowrun during the Nigel Findley years (rest in peace man, you rock). Its this over the top 80s cyberpunk with all kinds of mythic creatures running around the wastelands and big evil mega corporations protecting the citys. Which sounds cool but frankly the fiction is not Nigel Findley quality. Rather than being a Dark Conspiracy ala Cthuhlu or Unknown Armies it comes off as kill the monsters and take their stuff. I give it 5 out of 5 for effort but 2 out of 5 for execution.

michaeljearley
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
ShadowRun, without a doubt.

BigUgly
07-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Stuff, The Dark Minions and Aliens had stuff? In the game we played, we the PC's were always broke and usually a half a step behind everything that was trying to kill us or kill others. The game our GM ran and the one I ran, the PC's stayed broke and pretty much became minion hunters because we had no choose. It was be a hunter and fight back or die like the rest of the sheep. And if we did allow a Gnome into the game it didn't take long before the dark minion figured out a way to ruin them fianancially. It was always more of a "Damnit, I have to wake up and try to survive the day again" setting.
I remember how being able to set the game in area/situations that where so close to the ones we live in, it made the game kind of freaky/scary. Nothing better then taking a murder case that just happened in your hometown and playing the PC's in the same situation with similar details. That was one of the reasons my ex-wife wouldn't play the game with us. She said she could close her eyes and feel like the stuff in game was really happening next door.

MortonStromgal
07-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Stuff, The Dark Minions and Aliens had stuff? In the game we played, we the PC's were always broke and usually a half a step behind everything that was trying to kill us or kill others. The game our GM ran and the one I ran, the PC's stayed broke and pretty much became minion hunters because we had no choose. It was be a hunter and fight back or die like the rest of the sheep. And if we did allow a Gnome into the game it didn't take long before the dark minion figured out a way to ruin them fianancially. It was always more of a "Damnit, I have to wake up and try to survive the day again" setting.
I remember how being able to set the game in area/situations that where so close to the ones we live in, it made the game kind of freaky/scary. Nothing better then taking a murder case that just happened in your hometown and playing the PC's in the same situation with similar details. That was one of the reasons my ex-wife wouldn't play the game with us. She said she could close her eyes and feel like the stuff in game was really happening next door.

Sounds like your GM was like mine and threw out the cheese. For example theres a decent size section on the state of the world where it basically says you either live in one of the huge cities or your monster food. Theres no middle ground. Also IIRC Los Angeles takes up most of southern California, I would have to look that up though I just remember the cities mentioned were bigger than some states currently. Just out of Curiosity did your GM throw out the cyberpunk to?

Webhead
07-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I voted Cyberpunk 2020 because the game was very different from just about anything else I'd played at the time. It was the first time I'd ever seen a "lifepath" system in any RPG up to that point and I thought that was really cool. And no matter how bad-a$$ your character thought he was, there was always, always something that could mess you up six ways from Sunday. Even a street-punk with a paintball gun (that's not paint in those pellets) can ruin your day.

And then, cyberpsychosis. Very cool idea. Want to replace your entire body with super cyber-weapons...sure...and congratulations, now you're as nutty as a Christmas fruitcake. They've got special divisions of the police force trained to turn you into a waffle iron...welcome to the future. ;)

BigUgly
07-19-2008, 01:01 AM
We still used the Mega Cities, and the territories outside them was kind of like the Mad Max setting. You could still find towns where the locals had learned to live with the wandering gangs. In my game I never made it where the whole United States was a mad house except where the Mega Cities where. We still used some of the cyber punk stuff but 95% of it you got during character creation. I ran my game in my home state of New Mexico. Just made a Mega City call Rio Grande City that ran from just south of Santa Fe down the Rio Grande river and I25 to Las Cruces. New Mexico is full of military labs and bases, with places like the VLA that would draw aliens and dark minion like crazy. Plus the added affect of the PC's actually knowing in detail about the area their playing in really brings the dark future theme to life. I would create a New Mexico tabloid called The New Mexico Argus and give it out to the players and let them decide what they wanted to do. I found that I do that in all the games I run be it dark future, fantasy or sci fi. I create the world and have a good idea what is where and let the PC's go where they want. If chasing the dark minions just happens to lead them into a mega corps personnel battle against another mega corp so be it, they'll just have to clean up the new mess before they can go back to their old mess. On the downside I have killed my share of PC's because they stumble into a place that they are not capable of handling yet. But hey thats how life is, sometimes you just go down the wrong road.
Damn all this talk of Dark conspiracy as made me want to play it again. Time to drag out the old books and find all my old disc. Guess the group will get to play a new game next week. :lol:

Thorgrimm
07-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I have always like Dark Future games. By far the best is Cyberpunk. It's really just a character and combat system. In my experiance, it can be molded to what the GM and Players want. There are some ideas but with the basic book really nothing is set. No huge back ground with lot os pregenerated villians or NPC. Just a system and a start point.
My opinion take it or leave it.
Thanks,
Thorgrimm

Webhead
07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I have always like Dark Future games. By far the best is Cyberpunk. It's really just a character and combat system. In my experiance, it can be molded to what the GM and Players want. There are some ideas but with the basic book really nothing is set. No huge back ground with lot os pregenerated villians or NPC. Just a system and a start point.
My opinion take it or leave it.
Thanks,
Thorgrimm

Agreed. I like that about Cyberpunk 2020 as well. It takes the (very Cyberpunk-ish) attitude of: "Here's a game. Go play it."

darelf
07-22-2008, 09:19 PM
My favorite is probably Witchcraft. Armageddon also, but low-power.

Thorgrimm
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
My favorite is probably Witchcraft. Armageddon also, but low-power.

Never heard of those games. I really like Cyberpunk because there is no magic or healing postions. If you get hurt you're hurt. Also when there is combat it's fast and fluid, none of the D&D trade blows until some one drops. I really like that you can turn Firday Night Fire Fight into table top game for beginners to learn the combat system.
I do like the idea behind Shadow Run but I've never played it.

darelf
07-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Never heard of those games.

Imagine if (n)WoD games had a good, playable game system.... that would be Witchcraft. :D

(Actually, we were quite enjoying Scion - Hero, but I'm not sure that's exactly Horror/Dark Future)

MortonStromgal
07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Imagine if (n)WoD games had a good, playable game system.... that would be Witchcraft. :D

oooo thems fighting words, I like the unisystem and all but I'll stick to my dicepools over 1d10

Webhead
07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Never heard of those games. I really like Cyberpunk because there is no magic or healing postions. If you get hurt you're hurt. Also when there is combat it's fast and fluid, none of the D&D trade blows until some one drops. I really like that you can turn Firday Night Fire Fight into table top game for beginners to learn the combat system.

One of the things I liked about Cyberpunk 2020 that added a very cool, unique element to the combat: There's no dodging bullets.

Your reflex stat and your dodge skill were useless against being shot at. The enemy just has to beat the difficulty number. So, when somebody pulls out a gun, everybody runs for cover, even the big, tough combat-oriented characters. In 2020, cover is your friend.

Webhead
07-24-2008, 10:05 AM
oooo thems fighting words, I like the unisystem and all but I'll stick to my dicepools over 1d10

I like both oWoD and Unisystem for their own reasons. I do think I like a lot of the ways Unisystem flows over WoD, especially Cinematic Unisystem, but oWoD is still a great game and still welcome at my table...mainly in the form of Mage: The Ascension.

darelf
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I like both oWoD and Unisystem for their own reasons. I do think I like a lot of the ways Unisystem flows over WoD, especially Cinematic Unisystem, but oWoD is still a great game and still welcome at my table...mainly in the form of Mage: The Ascension.

TBH, I'm not sure I even remember what the differences are from the old to the new WoD rules. I really jumped into it around Exalted. I have vague recollections of playing V:TM but I was playing, not GMing, so the rules weren't that important.

I do prefer Uni because it's easier for me personally to wing it. But, like I said, we have really enjoyed Scion, so it ain't all bad.

MortonStromgal
07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
TBH, I'm not sure I even remember what the differences are from the old to the new WoD rules. I really jumped into it around Exalted. I have vague recollections of playing V:TM but I was playing, not GMing, so the rules weren't that important.

I do prefer Uni because it's easier for me personally to wing it. But, like I said, we have really enjoyed Scion, so it ain't all bad.

oWOD combat

attribute+attack skill vs attribute+dodge (assuming the guy wants to dodge)
dodge is TN 6, attack TN is based on the weapon used see chart in book
count successes, if hit move on
success+damage dice vs TN 6
roll soak vs TN 6
apply any left over damage

nWOD combat

attribute+ attack skill + weapon - defense - armor vs TN 8
apply damage.

So basically the big difference between Uni and nWOD is 1d10 vs dice pool. Or if your using MET nWOD almost nothing because they use a card pull system where the values are = 1d10.

[edit] i feel like i kind of did oWOD an injustice there because combat is the part they really made faster with the changes the rest of the game had auto-successes and just attribute+skill vs TN tests which moved it along really quick and nWOD didn't speed those parts up at all (and in some cases slowed them down a bit, no auto-successes)

Thorgrimm
07-26-2008, 08:01 AM
One of the things I liked about Cyberpunk 2020 that added a very cool, unique element to the combat: There's no dodging bullets.

Your reflex stat and your dodge skill were useless against being shot at. The enemy just has to beat the difficulty number. So, when somebody pulls out a gun, everybody runs for cover, even the big, tough combat-oriented characters. In 2020, cover is your friend.

Exactly, combat is dangerous to everyone and everyone is very capable of combat.

Law Dog
08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I really like Unknown Armies. Simple and flexible.

Law Dog
08-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Which is great if you're looking for something a little closer to reality. On the other hand, if you're trying to keep thing cinematic . . . :)

Thorgrimm
08-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Which is great if you're looking for something a little closer to reality. On the other hand, if you're trying to keep thing cinematic . . . :)

The problem is most people don't really understand what the dice system is attempting to emulate. If you observe at how the d20 system looks and what it is supposed to do. From what I understand the system doesn't give a fixed number of attacks per round, it provides the number of attacks which have a chance to do damage. The more attacks the more opportunities that have a chance of doing damage. We've all been in hit and been hit but not hard enough to hurt.

The d20 system allows for cinematic but it's not obvious.

Webhead
08-13-2008, 08:35 PM

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes Cyberpunk what it is. You don't try the Rambo-style cinematic gusto in a Cyberpunk game. That kind of stuff gets you killed...fast.

Cyberpunk characters have a very real sense of their own mortality. I had a character get stabbed in the gut with a knife. As the attacker was running away, the rest of the party was applying pressure to the wound while they waited for the ambulance to show up...

One of the best pieces of basic equipment you can get in Cyberpunk is the Med-Alert Card. A little plastic card that has a button you can press to alert the nearest hospital to come get you. ;)

boulet
08-13-2008, 09:31 PM

I wonder if this is the explanation why almost no cyberpunk novel have been made into movies...

Chavic
08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I voted other, meaning Dark Heresy. The fluff and system looks great.

I am desperately looking for a Dark Heresy campaign in my area by the way. I'm a huge 40k fan and the rulebook for this game looks amazing. If anyone has a game or knows of one please contact me!
Thanks

Stormcrow77
08-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Kult was a game that had a great concept. Very sim to the Hellrasier movies. But the rules, Gods! What a load of tripe.

MortonStromgal
08-22-2008, 10:15 AM
But the rules, Gods! What a load of tripe.

That could be said of a lot of pre 2000 small press games. The quality of some of the small press these days is astounding (Burning Wheel, SOTC, etc)

Lucifer_Draconus
08-17-2009, 07:19 PM
WoD as it's the only 'Horror' RPG I've played.

Cyberspace (ICE) : A cyberpunk RPG using a rules-light version of ICE's Spacemaster2 rules. The default setting is ok but the gangs are basically 'Warriors' rejects compared to Cyberpunk 2020's . Although their New Hitler Youth gang is a good representation of how a Nazis Bonehead street gang would be... now if they'd have got the others done right . I love the rules though.

squidyak
09-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Alternity's Dark Matter.

Deadone
09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Dark Conspiracy.

JessHartley
09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Have you checked out Alpha Omega? Gorgeous books, and the Quick Start guide (http://www.mindstormlabs.com/qsg.html) just released today.

~jess

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for posting the quickstart guide, JessHartley.

That's uncommonly kind of you. For extra respect points: Who uttered the line?

Thoth's trivia for the day: From which movie--and possible book--was the italicized line taken from?

JessHartley
09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for posting the quickstart guide, JessHartley.

That's uncommonly kind of you. For extra respect points: Who uttered the line?

Thoth's trivia for the day: From which movie--and possible book--was the italicized line taken from?

Well, I'm no dryad (more of a boggan) but I'd be barking up the wrong tree if I didn't know Treebeard when he was quoted at me. :)

~jess

Tamburlain
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
My Alpha Omega books just arrived. They are quite handsome, and I look forward to playing the game.

Harwel
09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Now that Barbarians of the Aftermath (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64387) is out, I have a favorite new rules-light style PA game. It also has a lot of stuff for generating PA settings and adventures, so it's a good pretty good "idea mine" even if you don't like the system.

Windstar
09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
The Underdark, of course......

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
My Alpha Omega books just arrived. They are quite handsome, and I look forward to playing the game.

So envious.

Now that Barbarians of the Aftermath (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=64387) is out, I have a favorite new rules-light style PA game. It also has a lot of stuff for generating PA settings and adventures, so it's a good pretty good "idea mine" even if you don't like the system.

So awesome.

The Underdark, of course......

Best part about dnd gaming was the Underdark. One was not a true expert player until one adventured in the Underdark, and survived. Ahh, the memories.

michael
09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
My favorite dark future is definitely Alternity's Dark matter. I really like the Alternity system in general.

lomifeh
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
I've got to go with Shadowrun. The nice mix of fantasy and cyberpunk worked well for me. I loved the fiction around it and even helped playstest it on the old compuserve boards.

templeorder
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Well, its hard to beat Shadowrun... but thats pretty limited in scope. I have 2 other dark future games, the first is a custom modified Star Frontiers campaign thats been running for almost 15 years or so. Its Bladerunner-esque in some part, like a dream in others, the mega-corp owned worlds and then there's the hard life on the Rim and outer worlds. Lastly i've run a few games in a custom milieu called Ancient Futures - its a conspiracy driven multi-world and time and genre spanning game wherein different gods and powers struggle for the control of the races of sentient beings... and their dreams.

statichaos
10-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Well, its hard to beat Shadowrun... but thats pretty limited in scope. I have 2 other dark future games, the first is a custom modified Star Frontiers campaign thats been running for almost 15 years or so. Its Bladerunner-esque in some part, like a dream in others, the mega-corp owned worlds and then there's the hard life on the Rim and outer worlds. Lastly i've run a few games in a custom milieu called Ancient Futures - its a conspiracy driven multi-world and time and genre spanning game wherein different gods and powers struggle for the control of the races of sentient beings... and their dreams.

Oh, that sounds like fun. Wish you weren't so far north.

Lucifer_Draconus
10-24-2009, 07:31 PM
The choices should've included Cyberpunk 2020 & Cyberpunk 3rd ed. Instead of just Cyberpunk , as the cyberpunk community is split of the editions ( much like how it's split between Rolemaster2/Classic & RMSS/RMFRPG in the RM community). BTW any Cyberpunk 3rd. ed fans here ?

Richard Littles
10-24-2009, 07:36 PM
My own soon-to-be-published setting named Inceptum Terminus: Chronicles of the New Confederation for the Hero System 6th Edition. Of course, I'm just biased. :lol:

Genetic-Jackhammer
10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
My vote would have to be dark heresy, and WoD in a close second

gogoejoe
12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi ,..
Here david from USA. There are many games are played by6 me on my pc. I am very fond of with the horror game also and my favorite games are the
World of Darkness and Shadowrun .
Thanks for that , Have a nice day.

Lucifer_Draconus
01-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Concerning Alpha Omega... my brother & I might be getting into that shortly. If so it'll be after I run him in a short solo adventure in RIFTS. The game looks awsome , but not sure of the rules yet. If I end up playing in AO I think I'll scrap my own Cyberpunk & P-A settings as I'm really liking what I'm seeing in AO.

Though I like the setting for Shadowrun I have a hard time seeing as a true dark future game. Magic isn't the issue with me as I like how AO seems to work it & it's mutated or genetically engineered creatures. It's the Elves & such that slams it into the Sci-fantasy. My other big issue with SR is the dice pools & archtypes. Though I had the same gripe at first with CP 2020 the later variants to the core 'roles' & the addition of alternate skill packages based on backgrounds was cool. Now if they hadn't monkeyed it up with CP3 I'd be still a fan.

If I end up not liking the rules for AO I'll just use Cyberspace/Spacemaster2 & RMx/C rules for the setting.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
I am suprised RIFTS wasn't listed as a option. I like RIFTS alot. All though I see it more as a Sci-Fantasy-Horror game than a true dark future game. I guess I can say the same for AO but AO is far grittier. Sans the magic it could easily be seen as a Dark Future game. But RIFTS will still always be a favorite of mine. I don't understand the hate I see it get's. I understand the powergamer/munchkin issues but that can be delt with if a good GM runs it. If you don't like a OCC or RCC or even MDC (like I don't) you can not allow it. You can run it with tons of Role play you just have to have players willing to play that way. But RIFTS is a combat junkies wet dream & I have no problem with that.

Another P-A/Dark Future game not really discussed is Twilight 2000 or it's latest incarnation Twilight 2013 (which I have yet to play). I prefered T:2000 2e as I liked the expanded character options, something T:2013 seems to have expanded on. But I prefered how I could create a USMC sniper or USN Seal or British SAS trooper in T:2000 2e. It still can be done in T:2013 but it's more generic.

MortonStromgal
01-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Though I like the setting for Shadowrun I have a hard time seeing as a true dark future game.

You never ran into the Universal Brotherhood did you... Talk about a mind **** if you didn't know the plot going in. Also the acid rain and red smog alerts in Seattle. Its very dark when you read the fiction. Not all the fiction but a good chunk of it. Oh and lets not forget Mr Darc.

Lucifer_Draconus
01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I'll have to read more of the fiction. Having Elves 'n such always got in the way of seeing it as a serious Dark Future setting. But you take away the magic & Elves it does fit more into my vision of DF.I guess it's how you take it.. I love the setting , but I tend to be purist when it comes to Cyberpunk dystopian futures. I think some of the art always got to me exspecially Jeff L's art & Baxa's art. But the same could be said about Cyberpunk 2020's art , it could be cheesy at times & ruin the mood. Don't get me on CP's lame generic maps in Night City.

mnemenoi
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Kult was a lot of fun, though it was set in that weird modern near future setting that so many games are fond of.

TheMagicalMick
06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Here's my question, where's the Fallout love? No I am not talking about the monstrosity that is Fallout 3, I am talking about actual Fallout. Nobody appreciates the first two Fallout games or the PnP game for it? Come on now.... also worth mentioning, Starship Troopers, always a good one, pretty dark too. Also, some people might not initially think of this as dark, but how about the Firefly setting? There's a lot of dark shit among there. Three good settings with no representation, most notably Fallout.

MortonStromgal
06-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I'll have to read more of the fiction. Having Elves 'n such always got in the way of seeing it as a serious Dark Future setting. But you take away the magic & Elves it does fit more into my vision of DF.I guess it's how you take it.. I love the setting , but I tend to be purist when it comes to Cyberpunk dystopian futures. I think some of the art always got to me exspecially Jeff L's art & Baxa's art. But the same could be said about Cyberpunk 2020's art , it could be cheesy at times & ruin the mood. Don't get me on CP's lame generic maps in Night City.

/nod I recommend looking at 2E. In Shadowrun, magic goes in cycles, seeing how the game is set X years in the future always the magic elements have become more and more common with each edition. 2e still had a beat up on the mage attitude. As far as the elves go they are immortal (at leased some of them) they just blended in until the magic came back. They try to have a quasi-scientific reason for everything... some of it is great, some is not.

Here's my question, where's the Fallout love? No I am not talking about the monstrosity that is Fallout 3, I am talking about actual Fallout. Nobody appreciates the first two Fallout games or the PnP game for it? Come on now.... also worth mentioning, Starship Troopers, always a good one, pretty dark too. Also, some people might not initially think of this as dark, but how about the Firefly setting? There's a lot of dark shit among there. Three good settings with no representation, most notably Fallout.

I like fallout, infact I've been playing through the first one again :) The PnP was ok but I always just ended up using GURPS.

Sascha
06-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Also, some people might not initially think of this as dark, but how about the Firefly setting? There's a lot of dark shit among there.
There's still hope, there's still faith, and both are mighty powerful forces (and themes). For the 'Verse to qualify as 'dark future', I'd think those two elements would have to be faded(-ing) influences.

TheMagicalMick
06-19-2010, 08:56 PM
There's still hope, there's still faith, and both are mighty powerful forces (and themes). For the 'Verse to qualify as 'dark future', I'd think those two elements would have to be faded(-ing) influences.

You have evil government programs to create psychic assassins, you have guys walking around executing people by making their brains melt, you have men who have gone insane and now rape and eat innocent travelers. Add that to your plethora of planets will life threatening illnesses, and almost-slavery all about. The common person oppressed by a government that took control simply by killing everyone who stood up against them... I would call that a pretty dark future.

Sascha
06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
You have evil government programs to create psychic assassins, you have guys walking around executing people by making their brains melt, you have men who have gone insane and now rape and eat innocent travelers. Add that to your plethora of planets will life threatening illnesses, and almost-slavery all about. The common person oppressed by a government that took control simply by killing everyone who stood up against them... I would call that a pretty dark future.
Dark elements exist, sure, but dark's not really the main theme of the franchise. It's about people being people, no matter how far into the future we go, or how shiny the new technology is. Maybe it's an argument that we live in a dark present, though I don't consider our real-world situation to be all that dark.

(I'd wager there's an existential question on the state of Reavers, as debated in "Bushwhacked" and furthered in Serenity, but it's an aside. If anything qualified the Verse for a dark future status, it'd be the existence of inhuman Reavers.)

ArchVillain
07-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm going with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Conspiracy also. For the time, it was a fascinating sci-fi dark future (as opposed to Shadowrun's techno-fantasy setting) with a very usable set of source materials. Some other posters have pointed out the short comings of the setting, which is true beyond a doubt.

My problem with Shadowrun isn't really the setting so much as the GM I played with early on. He had a bad case of elf-worship, so every Elf was a Superman ... and I hate Superman.

ManoDogs
03-04-2011, 01:19 AM
My favorites are Cyberpunk 2020 and Dark Conspiracy. I also enjoyed Gamma World when I was a kid and wouldn't mind playing some version of it again one day. Though I hate the system, I had a lot of fun playing Shadowrun back in The Day and have about a dozen or so books from the line, which I use mostly as reference for other systems.

(I'm new here, so I hope I'm not disrupting anything by replying. Thanks!)

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

I'm going with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Conspiracy also. For the time, it was a fascinating sci-fi dark future... with a very usable set of source materials. Some posters have pointed out the shortcomings of the setting, which is true beyond a doubt.

Again, I'm new so I apologize if I'm out of line. I also apologize for pimping my site so soon, but the site specializes in campaign settings and materials, and Dark Conspiracy is the most developed campaign and game I have online right now. Metrodome, the name of the cityscape, is a domed city; basically the entire campaign is set within that dome.

I am single, live alone in the middle of nowhere, and work for myself. I am working with tabletop RPG stuff literally all day long and I'd love to assemble a group to play Dark Conspiracy online. If you're interested, contact me and we'll try to figure it out. This invite is for everyone, of course!

(Again, sorry to pimp so soon, but I didn't include a link or anything. Just contact me!)

My problem with Shadowrun isn't really the setting...

My problem is the system, but I'm talking about the version I played which is easily 15-20 years old. I am not familiar with any recent editions. However, I had a great time playing Shadowrun the two or three times I did. There are some incredibly detailed supplements within the line which I use as reference for Dark Conspiracy, Cyberpunk, and other dark future games.

Anarkitty
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I have always loved Shadowrun. It was my second RPG after AD&D. I really like the system, even if it can get unwieldy at times.
I have also recently started playing Dark Heresy (the Warhammer 40,000 RPG) and I really am enjoying it. The setting is excellent, and the game can be seriously dark and brutal at times.

AzgrymnThePale
03-23-2011, 05:24 AM
Chaos 6010 A.D. of course. For over 12 years we have been playing it and expanding it. A great dark future/ horror/ survival. http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3578 I don't really need another.

ManoDogs
03-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Hahahahahaha! Nice.

What were some of your inspirations or similar games you enjoy? I may have to check it out. Thanks!

AzgrymnThePale
03-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Actually some of the greats you mentioned earlier were my favorites as well shadowrun, cyberpunk, I loved necromunda even though that was a miniature battle game, still very inspirational for sure. Yes if u liked those you will certainly like Chaos 6010. As well I run it all the time would be happy to put anyone interested into a crew.

Blond Gamer Girl
03-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Well, first I have to say it was tough to decide on the poll between SR and WoD. While I love both, I classify them as WoD - present time gothic with mystical elements. SR4 is the dark future with cyberpunk, magic and various races blended.

The reason I like both is the rules are simple, the world is extensive and it doesn't have classes. You can write your background first and then build the character to match. The setting to me is just that a setting and a set of guidelines that can be augmented. I've played cyberpunk and enjoyed it but I didn't like the limitations of its world. I like magic and whatnot. However, cyberpunk had elements not found in SR, most notably rockerboys so I added to my SR game with conversions. Basically, I don't let the system limit my plots or the PCs backgrounds.

AzgrymnThePale
03-28-2011, 01:45 AM
I agree on not having a system with too many limitations. I like how SR implemented magic into the dark future setting. I still think it can be pulled off including the old normal fantasy races into a future world, which is what I did with Chaos their true names are simply alien though. The eldrynn (elves) come from another planet and they were the first alien race encountered by humans. I love to mix that genre of fantasy and sci-fi where people walk around with blades and cloaks still, yet they have a warhog blaster rifle strapped to their back.

I think it is really up to the storyteller or game master to pull off that dark mood to a game though. The books backstory and artwork can set the visual inspiration of a dreary and gothic ambiance. Then the GM can really establish that atmosphere with the use of music and their dialogue. So I can still see elves and dwarves and all that in a dark setting, as long as you do not think of all elves as happy tree-huggers. I never have.

I think classes in systems are not always necessary, but I use them as a job, it defines what type of training your character grew up in. Then certain abilities are allowed to be gained by certain classes for the first 12 levels of play. After which you are free to begin forming your own character style however you wish, choosing your own abilities from certain tiers. When I made Chaos I was always more af a fan of dark fantasy, but I felt that there were too many games out there that were fantasy. I mean what has D&D not covered already? Of course this was 12 years ago, so there are plenty of sci-fi games out now.

Alpha Omega is a very good looking book and when I found out that they have races that appear like demons and angels I cringed at some of the similarities. The writing and the artwork of my book was all created by me for the first addition. Now that I have gotten it out there I have picked up many very talented artists and other writers that would love to help for the second edition, so I am looking forward and very excited about second edition. For the first one I wanted the dark, mysterious, spray paint, ad street punk type of appeal to the look. Now that I have more talented artists I am going for the complete dark and gothic look, full color, and all mature content.

The module Pray for Dawn has a taste of the new look which is good. Gore, nudity, harsh language, drugs, it's just really dark and insane but I figured that was the crowd I wanted to appeal to and why not? This world is sick and twisted, I might as well have a game that is going to include all these horrifying enemies that you actually get to blow away. Sorry I got iff topic and went on a rant about these things but yea, I like Shadow run. I always thought it would be cooler if you could go to other worlds. So thats what I did.

"Burn the bodies of the fallen, so they do not rise again against you." -Demon Hunter proverb

MortonStromgal
03-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Well, first I have to say it was tough to decide on the poll between SR and WoD. While I love both, I classify them as WoD - present time gothic with mystical elements. SR4 is the dark future with cyberpunk, magic and various races blended.

The reason I like both is the rules are simple, the world is extensive and it doesn't have classes. You can write your background first and then build the character to match. The setting to me is just that a setting and a set of guidelines that can be augmented. I've played cyberpunk and enjoyed it but I didn't like the limitations of its world. I like magic and whatnot. However, cyberpunk had elements not found in SR, most notably rockerboys so I added to my SR game with conversions. Basically, I don't let the system limit my plots or the PCs backgrounds.

Pick up the old Shadowrun 1e book called Shadowbeat. It gave info on how to play a Rocker, Reporter and other media types as well as hot bands, sports, trideo shows etc. Rocker was a standard Archtype in the 1e core book.

Blond Gamer Girl
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for that. I'll check it out. As to aliens in SR4, I have that but not the stereotype. In another game, I created an entire sect of sea elves. Since I write, I don't like to limit my creativity because "its not in the book."

Lucifer_Draconus
12-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Now that I've read the SR4 20th Ann. ed... I'd be more into playing it as is..But part of me would want to convert it to Cyberspace/RM2 or Spacemaster2/RM2/Cyberspace based game. Unlike past editions the art & presentation really pulls you into the setting ( for SR4/20th ed).

Max_Writer
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Aliens Adventure Game was a lot of fun.

It's no really horror, but it's dark: Twilight: 2000.

Simetradon
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Chaos 6010 all the way. Even though I only get to play once a week, my addiction is barely held in check.

AzgrymnThePale
11-17-2012, 05:29 AM
I choose other for Chaos 6010 A.D. Options are limitless and I've been playing it and running it for over 10 years. The mechanics are perfect in my opinion and the ability to customize everything and really develop a great story with the help of many GM assistant tables is great. Even those who are not great at story telling can throw a good game with the help of total randomization from encounter tables and mission makers. Those who really know how to game master can run games on the fly and totally develop a great campaign around simple ideas that are given in the core rulebook. Another thing is that you can buy the core rulebook and that is all you really need.