PDA

View Full Version : nijineko waves.

nijineko
12-26-2007, 11:42 AM
greetings. just thought i'd introduce myself briefly. i function mainly as a consultant for rpg plots, characters, and various other ideas for when you lack ideas. many is the character (and player!) who has unknowingly suffered at my hands. likewise, many are those who have tasted the fruits of victory and found them all the sweeter for the challenges they overcame. i guarantee quantity of ideas, quality will have to be determined on a case-by-case. i look forward to working with everyone.

yoku aimashita. o-aisatsu shio to omoimashita. marude, teburu-takku no koto ga kuwashi kara, shiriai no mina ga boku ni tasuke wo tazunemasu. dozo don-don enryo shinaide. eigo no hou ga kakiyasui kara, koko de tomarimasu. yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

rabkala
12-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Greetings nijineko sahn. Do you search for a game or the sound of one hand waving?

Welcome aboard

Mulsiphix
12-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Welcome to the boards. Its always nice to have add another thinker to the PNP ranks.

Farcaster
12-27-2007, 06:02 PM
yoku aimashita. o-aisatsu shio to omoimashita. marude, teburu-takku no koto ga kuwashi kara, shiriai no mina ga boku ni tasuke wo tazunemasu. dozo don-don enryo shinaide. eigo no hou ga kakiyasui kara, koko de tomarimasu. yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Huh? What? Is this Japanese?

Mulsiphix
12-27-2007, 06:20 PM
That it is :D

rabkala
12-27-2007, 06:35 PM
It does appear to be some sort of improper Japanese (romaji I think it's called) message. Some things look more familiar like eigo which mostly means English.

Mulsiphix
12-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I just finished watching Shogun and a few subbed Anime's. I swore I recognized some of those words. I tried to translate them using several online services and not a single one recognized it as Japanese.

vic_kidd
12-28-2007, 06:39 PM

You do and you clean it up off the floor!

Mulsiphix
12-28-2007, 08:15 PM
vic do you know what that actually says or are you just joking around? I'm seriously dying to know what it says.

Digital Arcanist
12-28-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm sure that whatever it says, it involves tentacles, virgins, and a kamehameha wave....

Mulsiphix
12-29-2007, 10:52 AM
A kamehameha wave?! Surely it involves a huge interstellar monkey as well then right :D

nijineko
12-29-2007, 12:53 PM
i'm tempted to leave you hanging just to keep the outrageous guesses coming! ^^ however, that would be just a mite cruel, so i'll explain. yes that is japanese, and yes it is written using romaji. hmmm, perhaps i should test the japanese font a bit and see if the forum will handle displaying it....

これ わ どう かな?

(checking post...)

sweet! well, i can see it, hopefully most of you can too! (it'll depend on whether you have japanese fonts installed (windows update), or have a mac (no problem!).

here is what i said above in kana:
よく あいました。 おあいさつしよ と 思いました。 テーブルタァク の こと が くわしく知る か ら、 知り合い の みな が たすけ を 訪ねます。 どうぞ、 どんどん 遠慮しないで。 英語 の  ほう が 書きやすい から、 ここ で とまります。 よろしく お願いします!

i just checked it on a translator widget, and i have to laugh. a japanese person will understand what i'm talking about, but i tend to use really oddball phrasing. that's what you get for living over there and getting a mix of high-class and low-class speech patterns!

and one thing that no translator program is likely to get (or many japanese for that matter), is that the original phrase for roleplaying games is "table talk". this phrase does not apply to the computer games, only to pen-and-paper versions. it lasted for about 5 years of popularity in japan some 20-25 years ago. or at least basic dnd was popular. when they released advanced, the interest died off as it became too complicated. besides, nintendo came out. i actually found some 1st ed dnd stuff in japanese, but sadly could not buy it at that time. =( it was quite nostalgic to see the artwork, however.

some recent interest has resurged as there are a fair number of gaijin that actively game over there.

vic_kidd
12-29-2007, 06:49 PM
vic do you know what that actually says or are you just joking around? I'm seriously dying to know what it says.

I was just joking around. It was something that my father said when he heard a language that he didn't understand.

Mulsiphix
12-29-2007, 08:17 PM
I must be slow tonight because I can't figure out what part of your post nijineko is the translation. Could somebody quote it for me?

nijineko
12-30-2007, 04:16 AM
you're not slow. it is a partial translation of my first intro post starting off this thread. ^^ as i say in japanese, i'm better at writing in english, so i stopped duplicating what i already said in english. =D

Mulsiphix
12-30-2007, 08:22 AM
LOL I give up :)

nijineko
12-31-2007, 11:57 AM
here's what my translator widget made of my japanese:

To be good. You greeted and with you thought. Thing of テーブルタァク knows in detail or, and others, everyone of the acquaintance visits help. Please, without being modest steadily. Because English one is easy to write, it stops here. We ask may!

heheheh. japanese has a nasty habit of simply dropping the subject of a sentence entirely, especially if it refers to oneself. social humility as a virtue or something like that. for us poor foreigners, it means we have to guess what the heck they are referring a comment to. on the other hand, they have no skill at understanding mispronounced or miswritten language, like english speakers do, so i guess it evens out. =D

for comparison purposes, here is what i was basically trying to say, only in english:

greetings. just thought i'd introduce myself briefly. i function mainly as a consultant for rpg plots, characters, and various other ideas for when you lack ideas. please, go ahead and ask me anything. i'm better at writing in english, so i'll stop here. ((literally untranslatable)-but it means something like looking forward to working with you so please be nice to me.)

wild, ne? shows how you can't entirely trust a computer-based translator yet. oh, while you're at it, feel free to ask me japan or japanese questions as well as rpg related stuff.

Mulsiphix
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Thank you very much for the direct translation :D. I happen to have a japanese language question for you. What is the difference between Domo and Domo Arigato? Is it like Your Welcome and Your Very Welcome? I see it used a lot in subbed anime and even in Shogun (mini-series on TV) but never quite understood why Domo isn't enough.

Digital Arcanist
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I think that is a question that the band Styx is most suited to answer....

nijineko
01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
the difference between 'domo' and 'domoarigatou' is pretty much the same as the difference between "thanks" and "thank you". 'domo arigatou gozaimashita' would be the equivalent of "thank you very much".

just so you know, "your welcome" is 'douitashimashite'.

=D

Digital Arcanist
01-02-2008, 11:53 PM
okay...you are confusing me...in Japanese you say every vowel right? Is it all one word?

doh-yu-ee-ta-she-mah-she-tay?

GBVenkman
01-03-2008, 12:00 AM
You do and you clean it up off the floor!

I'll have to remember that one.

nijineko
01-04-2008, 09:56 AM
yes you say every vowel. and yes it's all one word.

it's said: dough-ee-tah-shee-mah-shee-tay

the funny thing with that one is that if you just mumble "don't touch the mustache" really fast, they'll think that you are just mispronouncing it slightly and think you are saying 'you're welcome'! ^^

if you want a challenge try saying 'arawareru' and getting it right! ^^ (hint: japanese vowels are pronounced the same no matter where in a word they show up. and each vowel has only one way to pronounce it, unlike english.)

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
ara-wa-re-ru sounds like arah-wah-ree-rue? If not what does it sound like? I hope to one day be able to watch raw japanese anime without having to find fansubs or wait for some american corporation to pick it up and dub it.

nijineko
01-05-2008, 08:35 PM
=D heheheh. so i thought too. be prepared for an intensive study of the japanese language then. they use all manner of slang and local dialects in anime. but if you become fluent in spoken, you'll get the general gist of everything, if not all the details.

try this phonetic spelling: ah-wah-rah-rey-roo.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 09:39 PM
One day the understanding of RAW anime dialect will be MINE! Until then... fansubs are my friend :p

nijineko
01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
i can be convinced to teach japanese in exchange for product or transferable units of current and valid exchange.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I wish they had language learning in game format. Something fun. I remember back in the day when Mario Typing was the pinnacle of video game meets education. I think typing was never more exiting than in the Dreamcast release of The Typing Of The Dead. I want something that awesome for learning japanese.

nijineko
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
hmmm. there was this flash game once where you had to switch between two worlds and one of the worlds was in japanese....