PDA

View Full Version : Hiyo

Aedan
12-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi everybody, it's Christmas Eve and I'm enjoying the Chargers vs. Broncos game, but I figured I'd introduce myself real quick. My name is Sean, and I'm a student at the Univ. of Florida. Speaking of which, you all should check out the Gators whoop Michigan's butt on New Years! Anyway, I'm kind of apprehensive about meeting strangers for a game of D&D, but I figure I'll give it a try, since I had a lot of fun playing it with my friends in VA. So Merry Christmas to everybody, and let me know if you're looking for a game in Gainesville! :)

rabkala
12-24-2007, 10:51 PM
A little uneasiness and concern are normal when meeting people for the first time. I myself felt a bit of dread and trepidation the first few times I met new players or groups.

The online scene is not much different than finding people in an advertisement or a bulletin board at your local shop. I have done it hundreds of times due to moving, running open games at a shop, and always trying to have a few games active. While I have met a few whom were a bit different or didn't mesh well, no psycho killers or freaks have ever applied. I like to think the gaming community a bit above the norm of our society.

Relax, you'll find some like minded gamers as long as you don't give up the fight before it's started. "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." Churchill

Merry Christmas to you as well! Happy holidays and a joyous Yuletide.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 01:44 AM
As a budding DM I'm afraid I'll be scared stupid the first time I host a game for a group of strangers. I do look forward to the social atmosphere though. It has been quite a while since I played a pen and paper game in a group but the memories I have are priceless. I wish you the best of luck in making new memories with new players.

Aedan
12-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words. Since I live near campus, I'm starting to wonder if there's a group on campus that plays. I also might try the local gaming shop.

rabkala
12-25-2007, 12:43 PM
When I was in college late (80's), I put up a flier in the commuter student room and in the bar below the cafeteria. I had 5 people respond in a little over a week. A few weeks later I was visiting a girlfriend at a nearby state school. I saw a flier in the stairwell of a dorm that somebody was selling their books. I went to look at the books, and found several players through the guy who was selling his books. I decided to check out their group that Saturday. I showed up and was quickly recruited to DM that game as well. My best friends in college were guys I met through fliers and coincidence.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 12:53 PM
You should have no trouble finding players at a university. I agree that fliers are probably your best bet. Just be prepared for a possible onslaught of "DUDE!! SIGN ME UP"'s :P

rabkala
12-25-2007, 05:09 PM
I really don't know how well off the gaming community is amongst the younger crowd. I would suspect not as well as it faired when I was in school due to the popularity of computer games now. Either way, it doesn't hurt to try. ;)

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I was a die hard console gamer my whole life. When I hit my teens I switched over primarily to PC gaming. Did a lot of MMORPG's and finally left gaming all together. The sadest thing is among all my gaming memories it is the small group of battles I played during BattleTech that stand out in my mind the most. Real memories are made with other people. Not a whole lot to remember when it is just you alone in a room staring at a TV. Not to mention video games don't even tell the stories that books and movies do. They are all cut up and are full of repetition. After 20 yeras of video gaming I'm turning to PnP to do something with my life I will actually learn from and gain worthwhile memories and experience.