PDA

View Full Version : Super Hero RPG's (In General)

Mulsiphix
12-24-2007, 05:29 PM
What is so alluring about Super Hero RPG's? I've never actually played one and honestly I really haven't looked into them... at all. Just wondering if they all generally are like X-Men (teams of gifted good guys fighting gifted bad guys) or if there is more too it than that? Just in general, what makes a super hero RPG so awesome to you?

Malruhn
12-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Pure escapism.

The Super Hero genre allows us to identify to the characters much easier than fantasy genres, and we all really, really want to be able to do those things like fly and shoot sonic beams out of our elbows.

It's one reason that I've had problems getting into super hero games - it's too easy to see that stuff happening - and if I'm gonna waste six hours or more a week, I wanna go all out when I fantasize!!

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Not all super hero games require you to be a super hero. Hero system has books dedicated to be normal and some to Batman-like characters. Its mostly the setting that draws people I think. Its nice to know that you can taker a break from forests and hamlets to fight injustice in fictitious cities as well as our home stomping grounds.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 01:30 AM
I sure wouldn't mind playing in a Gotham themed RPG. I guess for me it just seems almost pointless to play in a world where anybody can almost be anbody/anything they can imagine. Then again I guess fantasizing about a hobbit slaying a 10 story dragon is just as fantasy as wolverine, storm, or kitty.

ronpyatt
12-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Supers are legends, myths, and larger than life heroes and beings that tell us stories of the fantastic within settings from whatever world/genre/time period you desire.

There are such a huge number of super-settings and approaches to playing supers that it can be hard to sum them up into a single explanation. However, a single word can start the process of explaining what supers are all about: Exaggerated. Supers can be applied to any setting. Just add an exaggerated element to bring the setting into the world of myths and mythos. Supers can be sci-fi, fantasy, horror, dark future, or completely alien.

Gilgamesh, Beowulf, and Hercules are old super stories. Superhero RPG's let us keep the telling of those kinds of really cool stories.

Comic book superheroes can be played in a gritty and realistic setting, played tournament style (AVP), approached from a wacky and weird perspective, or like your favorite comic.

Supers are not always the heroes. The last supers game I ran, the players went the way of villains.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 02:20 AM
I know this is a console game but would Turok the Dinosaur Hunter (N64 versions) be considered a super? He was a rambo among Dinosaurs. I would LOVE to play in such a setting. Pretty sure Forgotten Realms had a dinosaur setting. I wish there were more dino settings in RPG's.

Farcaster
12-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Its been a long time since I have played a comic book style super heroic game, but they can be a lot of fun. What I found though was that I enjoy the grittier, more realistic approach to supers games as Ron mentioned. I'm not terribly enamoured with the black-and-white evil vs. good, hero vs. villian type game. I like something that has a lot more shades of gray, and where evil is much more subtle and hard to spot.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I like something that has a lot more shades of gray, and where evil is much more subtle and hard to spot.Got any examples for reference? Just about any hero or hero-ish universes I can think of have very clearly defined evil characters and plot lines.

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Talk about shades of grey, I played as Guy Gardner once in a DC campaign. I pretty much did what I wanted and justified everything with, "I'm Guy Gardner, get out of my way." I blew up a lot of stuff but saved the world in the end and got the girl...with the help of tequilla.

rabkala
12-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Isn't it funny, most everything is better with the help of tequila. Patron is my brand of choice. I guess I have had several characters whom also find love at the bottom of a bottle. Heroes are best when flawed like us.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Nothing touches the human heart quite like being able to personally relate to our heroes. Flaws within the idolized are usually more than evidence of humanity within great individuals. They are evidence of greatness within ourselves.

the doctor
01-01-2008, 02:38 PM
In our main superhero campaign it's themed "The Last Dinosaur" In which the main pc and roiginal member of the party is a golden to silver age spandex wearing super who career really got started as the age started shifting to the leather pant and trench coat wearing anti-hero. Right around the time when he was starting to make his wayright and wrong gave way to shades of grey and the character is fighting to convert other people with basically good intent to the old era while fighting the the sea of B.S. that is masking everyone true objecting and fighting a new generation of bad guys that are no longer restrained conscience of the villains past. If this weren't bad enough he has to watch all the established golden and silver age heroes either die of old age, retire, convert or get murdered in a campaign where if the protagonist compromises who he is to fight an enemy without restraint or remorse then the campaigns over.

The Doctor

Mulsiphix
01-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Anybody here remember The Grey Ghost from Batman The Animated Series? That guy was another example of what I consider a super hero that is more human than super like Batman.

Digital Arcanist
01-01-2008, 06:36 PM
The Sandman, the Green Hornet, Mr. Terrific, the Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) are all examples of great heroes that weren't super. The first two being pulp heroes like the Grey Ghost.

Mulsiphix
01-01-2008, 06:43 PM
What is sad is that I don't even recognize anybody but the The Sandman and only from Spiderman 3. I've got some serious edumucation to lurn muhself.

Digital Arcanist
01-01-2008, 09:31 PM
The Sandman to which I am referring is a DC character who used knock-out gas to subdue evildoers. I believe the first incarnation was Wesley Dodds.

Skunkape
01-02-2008, 07:25 AM
I agree that adding the exaggerated element to any game can make it a super game. Personally, when I want to play a super game, I want it to be a modern campaign, where we get to run/fly/teleport around and save civilians from the villains. I've enjoyed both black and white and shades of grey campaigns, so to me, they both have their appeals.

I also agree that making the character have some kind of flaws makes for a better game and I've had characters with flaws from being overconfident to the point of putting themselves in extreme danger to being blind.

Course, since moving back to St. Petersburg, I haven't played in a supers game, so it's been a little more than 15 years since I enjoyed that kind of campaign.

Digital Arcanist
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I first started reading comics as a young boy for all the explosions and action. As I grew up and the world became darker and darker, I started reading more DC comics because the heroes seemed to win and overcome adversity all the time. It was nice to spend 15 or 20 minutes in a place where heroes were there to protect the world, selflessly and with out an agenda. It is a great respite from all the bombings, assassinations, pollution, and economic woes that the news only covers these days.

As the comics became darker with dead heroes, rape, genocide, bigotry, I found super hero RPG's and could get the same feeling as reading an old comic.

I like to build my heroes to be like myself but with some powers. I always opt out of the 18d6 energy blast or powered punch for a 10d6 attack and a variety of skills and knowledges. I like to give my heroes dependents, especially children, have the hero spend the campaign protecting his family while hiding his identity from them and the world.

Not all campaigns have to have 100 ft. robots, and global threats either. You can fight polluters, or exploitive corporations and try to right realistic wrongs.

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 03:15 AM
You can fight polluters, or exploitive corporations and try to right realistic wrongs.Am I the only one who thought Captain Planet was cool? I loved the cartoon, the message behind the cartoons, and the end piece where they gave advice on how you could help the environment.

Digital Arcanist
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Captain Planet, he's our hero,
Gonna take pollution down to zero,
He's our powers magnified, and he's fightin' on the planet's side.

The Power is yours!!!!

Yeah....I may have seen an episode or two.;)

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Lol I loved that show. Everybody gave me a hard time about it but I didn't care. Just wish it got more than six seasons. For a cartoon though that's pretty damn decent. Looks like there were more planeteers than I thought ;)

Farcaster
01-03-2008, 06:17 PM
You both seriously need help!

Digital Arcanist
01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
As soon as I find my official Planeteers ring, we'll see who needs help!!:p

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Come on Farcaster can't you hear the planet's cries for your aid? She needs your help! Pollution is no joke :eek:

Digital Arcanist
01-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Don't bother Mulsiphix...he can't hear us. He's too busy clear-cutting the rainforest in his Siberian Tiger suit, baby seal slippers, and African Elephant ivory bling.:eek::p

Mulsiphix
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I had a feeling he was in league with Plunder. I just didn't want to believe that Farcaster was a poacher. Didn't he learn a lesson from Season 1's "The Last Of Her Kind" episode?! The Planeteers go to Africa to defend its elephant population against Looten Plunder. They also meet a baby elephant along the way, and protect it from Plunder's poaching before he kills it and uses it's tusks to forge and distribute dozens of Ivory trinkets. Say it isn't so Farcaster!!!

Farcaster
01-04-2008, 12:28 PM
I just didn't want to believe that Farcaster was a poacher.

That's slobbering, mangy, stupid poacher to you, bub!

Mulsiphix
01-04-2008, 04:54 PM
That's slobbering, mangy, stupid poacher to you, bub!*Runs away from the monitor crying, grabbing a bio-degradable tissue along the way, and settles into his solar powered auto-rocking chair*

Digital Arcanist
01-05-2008, 12:17 AM
boshenoy...I need a shot of wheat grass and a dip in my solar-heated environmentally friendly spa...

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 12:26 AM
After all that crying my muscles sure are tense. I think I'll go for a dip in my hardened tofu swimming pool filled with recycled sewage water. It will be in my hemp swimming shorts of course ;)

Digital Arcanist
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I love recycling a lot but I must draw the line at swimming in sewage water, even if it recycled.

As a student, I once visited the sewage treatment plant for my area....no amount of recycling will ever convince me that sewage water is nothing but nasty.

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Just about any city with a sewage treatment plant these days recycle all sewage water. This water, once its gone through some pretty extensive filtering, is then sent back to the main water supply. This turns up as tap water, shower water, and is even (with more filtering and adding minerals for flavor) used for bottled drinking water.

The other main source for a cities water is reservoirs or damns which is a collection of rain, condensation, and for many cities runoff from the surrounding landscape. This water is full of animal scat, parasites, mud, pollution, etc... It gets the same filtering treatment and is eventually sent to the houses of people in the city and bottled water packaging plants. Dasani and Aquafina are actually tap water for Sacramento and another big city I can't remember. And Sacramento tap water comes from the sewage recycling plant.

I saw an hour documentary in late 2007 that covered the entire thing. I was grossed out but at the same time the filtering methods used are so intense and thorough that I don't mind so much. What really grosses me out is what I learned on Reading Rainbow as a child. Apparently direct sewage is put through some filtering that removes vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc... from it. Those are collected, purified, and then sold to certain eco-friendly companies. The product they mentioned was Iron Kids Bread. Those vitamins on the back in the nutrients section... yup some of those came from human crap.

Swimming in sewage water is me basically saying I used my hose to fill the pool ;)

Digital Arcanist
01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
I live on a farm and we have a well and triple osmosis system....thank the Lord!

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Aren't you still in school?

Digital Arcanist
01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
no....I'm an educator now!!

rabkala
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I feel for the children... :D

Mulsiphix
01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
I feel for the children... :DLOL. What are you teaching and to what age group?

Digital Arcanist
01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Science and math to elementary students.

nijineko
01-06-2008, 12:32 AM
I know this is a console game but would Turok the Dinosaur Hunter (N64 versions) be considered a super? He was a rambo among Dinosaurs. I would LOVE to play in such a setting. Pretty sure Forgotten Realms had a dinosaur setting. I wish there were more dino settings in RPG's.

greyhawk has a series of dino adventures, also see the old hollow earth campaign setting for lots more dinosaurs.

nijineko
01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Anybody here remember The Grey Ghost from Batman The Animated Series? That guy was another example of what I consider a super hero that is more human than super like Batman.

both of whom were based off "the shadow" of pulp fiction era. in batman's world, the grey ghost is the equivalent of "the shadow". max's novels of the shadow were great, i read all of them that i could find.

whoops, sorry for the double post.

supers. now there is something that appeals to almost all humans on some level. since the early ages of man, we have reached up for something higher than us, something greater, something more powerful. and we take that something, and try to bind it to us, and us to it... mixing the two together, and thus creating a new mankind. almost all mythologies and legends have parts dealing with the half-breeds. those that are the mixing of mortal and divine. the raising of the flawed mortal soul above it's limits and then reaching down to pull others up besides. the perils of it. the perils of refusing it.

and to be honest... i am one of those, the oddly mindset, whom if i had powers beyond that of mortal ken, i would feel bound and obligated to throw myself into the gap, and try to change the world one trial at a time. fight evil and the wicked and the simply destructive. seek for truth and justice and good and freedom in a world at war. and i would probably get myself killed sooner than later, sacrificing myself for another. after all, if i don't believe in those things that no one believes in anymore, and act accordingly, how will they ever become true?

i would have a hard time describing the appeal of superhero's though. after all, how clearly can one see when one has the severely biased mindset of the hero mentality like i do? i watch just about every superhero related thing i can get my hands on. unbreakable? kinda corny perhaps, but it spoke to me. when he walked into the mall with all the people, i knew what was going to happen before it did. i said to my wife, "here... here is where he is going to truly become a superhero. this is where he knows it for himself." and after the part was over, she turned to me and said, "how did you know?"

i would draw the line at wearing spandex, however. i really don't have the figure for it, and you don't want to see this wearing that. and speaking of nostalgic (natsukashii) stuff, i caught a couple of episodes of captain planet (i told you i watched a bit of everything), but does anyone remember thunderbirds? battle of the planets? (okay for the less informed, also known as g-force....) voltron? thundercats? darkwing duck? the crimson avenger? the caped crusader? gizmoduck? robotech? tmnt? speed racer? atomboy? dr. solar? the question?

(just to mention a few...) =D

Mulsiphix
01-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Thunderbirds: No
Battle Of The Planets: No
Voltron: Yes
Thundercats: Yes
Darkwing Duck: Yes
The Crimson Avenger: No
The Caped Crusader (isn't that Batman?)
Gizmoduck (thats a character from Duck Tales)
RoboTech: Yes
TMNT: Yes
Speed Racer: Yes
Atomboy: No (do you mean AstroBoy?)
Dr. Solar: No

I'm a pretty well seasoned cartoon monger myself.

Digital Arcanist
01-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I've never heard of Dr. Solar

Mulsiphix
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Solar is an American fictional comic book character. Originally known as Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom, he first appeared in a comic book published by Gold Key Comics in the 1960s. It was never a TV series.

rabkala
01-07-2008, 09:11 AM
i would draw the line at wearing spandex, however. i really don't have the figure for it, and you don't want to see this wearing that. and speaking of nostalgic (natsukashii) stuff, i caught a couple of episodes of captain planet (i told you i watched a bit of everything), but does anyone remember thunderbirds? battle of the planets? (okay for the less informed, also known as g-force....) voltron? thundercats? darkwing duck? the crimson avenger? the caped crusader? gizmoduck? robotech? tmnt? speed racer? atomboy? dr. solar? the question?

Of your list, I was unfamiliar with two of them. Thanks to online searches, none now. My favorite was G-Force! That really takes me back.

I rather like wearing spandex. Maybe I'll try out for Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be A Superhero?". I think my family would disown me though. :p

Mulsiphix
01-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Did anybody ever watch SilverHawks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverhawks)? It had a short run during the Cartoon Network afternoon cartoon lineup (back when they still showed Thundercats). It was actually pretty damn good.

Riftwalker
01-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Did anybody ever watch SilverHawks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverhawks)? It had a short run during the Cartoon Network afternoon cartoon lineup (back when they still showed Thundercats). It was actually pretty damn good.

I remember those! They could bring out their wings by moving their arms down and back up again. I think they also had helmets that streamed out from their neck and wrapped around their heads. Stupid memory -- they were face masks that appeared.

http://theflashsite.net/silverhawks/shsteelheart.jpg

80's cartoons ruled.

Mulsiphix
01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
80's cartoons were awesome! These days it seems more about the style of animation than the cartoon itself. That or catering to the largest demographic possible. I remember when people made things because they wanted to, not solely for profit. Then again the market has changed drastically with easy access and the drastic increase in size of the internet.

Digital Arcanist
01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I liked the guitar-wielding cowboy!!!

Did you guys watch Tigersharks, Visionaries, and Centurions?

I want a n Orangutans that can operate computers!

Mulsiphix
01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
I never watched any of them. I can't believe I haven't even heard of some of these though. I watched my fair share of TV as a kid and 75% of it was cartoons. Maybe my parents cable was a horrid plan.

Grimmwor
01-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I used to play Marvel Super Heroes back in the day...that was a fun game. I actually miss it...I would love to get back into a super heroes rpg. I think it helps alot if you are into comics. I grew up on them (Marvel, not DC). I love the artwork and the stories. It is quite fun to play in a setting where you have over 70 years of history, background and characters...

I just did a google search and found a website where all of the content is available as free downloads in pdf format!

http://www.marvelrpg.net/

Digital Arcanist
01-10-2008, 12:58 AM
There are a couple sites that have books for free. I believe Moritz began a thread with them all listed.

Mulsiphix
01-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Could you link it? I know there is such a page for Star Frontiers as well but I don't know of any others. Thanks for the link Grimmwor ;)

nijineko
01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Thunderbirds: No
Battle Of The Planets: No
Voltron: Yes
Thundercats: Yes
Darkwing Duck: Yes
The Crimson Avenger: No
The Caped Crusader (isn't that Batman?)
Gizmoduck (thats a character from Duck Tales)
RoboTech: Yes
TMNT: Yes
Speed Racer: Yes
Atomboy: No (do you mean AstroBoy?)
Dr. Solar: No

I'm a pretty well seasoned cartoon monger myself.

Thunderbirds are Go! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_(TV_series))
Transmute! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Planets) ( i think that was what he said... )
the Crimson Avenger! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Adventures_of_the_Gummi_Bears)
yeah, i got the name wrong on the caped crusader bit...
yes, astroboy was originally called atomboy.

=D

Digital Arcanist
01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Oh Gatchaman...how I loved thee!!!!

One of my all-time favorite cartoons had to be the Amazing Stories show from the late 80's and early 90's.

Well I think we kinda answered Mulsiphix's question and then degenerated into a discussion on how aged we are....

I miss the substance of cartoons from the "olden days." Cartoons today with the exceptions of TMNT, LoSH, and The Batman, Storm Hawks, and of course Avatar, just suck IMHO.

rabkala
01-13-2008, 04:02 PM
One of my sons got me hooked on Avatar. I do like that cartoon, though I feel guilty watching Kid shows. Shhhh.... it'll be our secret.

Digital Arcanist
01-13-2008, 05:15 PM
The story is traditional but also something new. The creators, who also draw the show, traveled to China and learned the four styles that each bender uses so that they could accurately draw the movements. I find Sokka and Toph to be humorous which is rare in a childrens' show for me.

Mulsiphix
01-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Isn't Avatar written by M. Shyamalan? There is nothing wrong with respecting the great work of a storyteller, regardless of the medium. I'm a fan of Clive Barkers children books and his HellRaiser movies (the ones he did anyway) alike. Greatness has many mediums :D

Digital Arcanist
01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Alright....no more wine for you while posting on the forums!

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 12:45 AM
My mistake. He'll be creating the Avatar movie ;)
On January 8, 2007, it was announced[citation needed] that Shyamalan would write, direct and produce the live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender, an animated TV series on the children's cable channel Nickelodeon, a series influenced by Asian art, mythology and fighting styles. The movie will be produced for Paramount Pictures' MTV Films and Nick Movies. The trade paper Variety later reported Shyamalan would film Avatar after The Happening.

According to an interview with the co-creators in SFX Magazine, Shyamalan came across Avatar when his daughter asked him for a "Waterbender necklace" one Christmas. Intrigued, Shyamalan researched and watched the series with his family. "Watching Avatar has become a family event in my house ... so we are looking forward to how the story develops in season three," said M. Night Shyamalan. "Once I saw the amazing world that Mike and Bryan created, I knew it would make a great feature film."

According to the Philly Inquirer, M. Night will begin filming Avatar: The Last Airbender in mid 2008; he will need four or five huge soundstages in the Philadelphia area to produce this film.

nijineko
01-14-2008, 01:16 AM
nice. i'll be interested to see how he portrays it.

i remember silverhawks... the one thing that bugged me about that was the whole gravity thing. it's supposed to be outerspace! gravity? falling 600 miles? how do the rocks and planetoids float? it bugged me so much that i created an entire plane of existence in the rifts/palladium universe to explain how that worked and why. ^^

i openly watch "kids" shows. sometimes i even have my little boy watching with me. ^^

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 01:21 AM
I'll take this a step farther and admit *takes a deep breath* that I watch Nick Jr. sometimes, even when my kids aren't home, let alone in the same room.

Digital Arcanist
01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I'll take this a step farther and admit *takes a deep breath* that I watch Nick Jr. sometimes, even when my kids aren't home, let alone in the same room.

Wow...I'm sure there's a line somewhere and you just crossed it. I love cartoons but I draw the line at toddler toons.:eek:

I'm interested as well in how the live-action Avatar movie will turn out. I like Shymalan movies but I'm not sure that he can pull off a movie geared towards children. I'm thinking Stanley Kubrick writing the Jimmy Neutron movie.

rabkala
01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Carl, Sheen, Gotard, no time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Well with Dora The Explorer I learn Spanish bit by bit and Blue's Clue's is pretty awesome. It isn't like I go "CRAP! It's 11AM and if I don't hurry I'll miss the opening of Blue's Clues!!!". There are only a couple of shows I'll watch on my own. The majority I have no interest in. My interest in Blue's Clues is just about gone since they replaced the main guy in it. My neices and nephews used to watch Barney (I was on the computer in the same room) and later I would catch myself humming the tune to one of the songs I had heard millions of times as they re-watched the same VHS tapes over and over.

They already made a Jimmy Neutron movie. Are they making one with real life actors?

Digital Arcanist
01-14-2008, 11:21 PM
The guy from Blue's Clues killed himself....it is highly ironic that on a show all about finding clues, no one saw the clues about his troubles.

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Are you serious? If your joking its not very funny. That guy was awesome :(

Grimmwor
01-15-2008, 07:46 AM
The guy from Blue's Clues killed himself....it is highly ironic that on a show all about finding clues, no one saw the clues about his troubles.

NO, he did not.

Steve Burns from Blues Clues is very much alive, he even has his own website:

http://steveswebpage.com/

Before you post something like this on the internet you should at least try to validate it. Took me about 15 seconds. Do a google search on "Blues Clues suicide".

Moritz
01-15-2008, 08:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Burns

""There are many rumors as to why Steve Burns left the show. The most popular rumor was one that Steve had died. Even to the extent that Rosie O'Donnell had him guest star on her show to an audience of pre-schoolers. Another rumor that circulated was that Steve was on drugs and fired. The real reason however, is that Steve was prematurely balding. He has said so himself on a 10th Anniversary special titles '10 Years of Blue', "I knew I wasn't going to be doing childrens television all my life. Mostly because I refused to lose my hair on a kids TV show. And it was happening, fast.""

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
He has said so himself on a 10th Anniversary special titles '10 Years of Blue', "I knew I wasn't going to be doing childrens television all my life. Mostly because I refused to lose my hair on a kids TV show. And it was happening, fast.""Thank goodness. I really enjoyed him on that show. I wish him the best of luck and endless "great hair" day's for the rest of his days :p

rabkala
01-15-2008, 07:28 PM
"Blues Clues suicide".
Oh my god... the humanity of it all. Snifff... I think I can still see him in reruns. I see Blue, He look's glorious. Why Blue? Why?

Actually, wasn't the controversy that Tickety Tock the Clock was outed by J K Rowlings.

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 10:12 PM
I've never seen it but apparently on the show Steve has gone away to college and he has come back a few times to guest star on the show with the current host. Wouldn't mind seeing that. The new guy just doesn't have the innocence or charisma purveyed by Steve. Everything he does seems emulated and often forced. And this concludes my review of Blues Clues :p

Digital Arcanist
01-15-2008, 11:11 PM
NO, he did not.

Steve Burns from Blues Clues is very much alive, he even has his own website:

http://steveswebpage.com/

Before you post something like this on the internet you should at least try to validate it. Took me about 15 seconds. Do a google search on "Blues Clues suicide".

Firstly, I was making a joke. Second, I'm pretty sure what you Googled just got your name put in a special file at the FBI.:eek:

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Firstly, I was making a joke. Second, I'm pretty sure what you Googled just got your name put in a special file at the FBI.:eek:You mean YOUR PERSONAL DATABASE!! Nobody believes your a math teacher. We all know whats really going down. Admit it Digital Arcanist, YOUR ONE OF THEM!! AREN'T YOU?! :eek::eek::eek:

Digital Arcanist
01-16-2008, 01:19 AM
You caught me.......I'm Special Agent Fox Scully assigned to the Tabletop Gamers Taskforce. I've logged your IP's and covert teams have been dispatched to you residences and places of business. We will finally remove the scourge that is PnP games.

Long Live MMO's!!!!!
Long Live Blizzard Entertainment!!!

On a side note....I've had to change my cover from Math teacher to Document Manager at a structural steel company. The hours are much longer but the pay is better and there may already be a promotion in my future.:D

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Damn you Digital Arcanist. Your so sly and charismatic. One of these days you'll step outside your black SUV wearing your sunglasses, with your better than thou badge, and I'll be waiting there for you. Waiting to sell you imitation Ray Band sunglasses, clean your windshield with dirty newspaper and imitation Windex, and I'll leave a fat wad of gum for you to step in on that hot summer day. Oh yes my friend, your squeaky clean self image is about to change :mad:

Moritz
01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
What is so alluring about Super Hero RPG's? I've never actually played one and honestly I really haven't looked into them... at all. Just wondering if they all generally are like X-Men (teams of gifted good guys fighting gifted bad guys) or if there is more too it than that? Just in general, what makes a super hero RPG so awesome to you?

I do believe we've gotten off topic in self glorification and rumored deaths. This was the original question and I believe I have an answer. At least an answer that applies to me (since self glorification is noted as allowable).

When I was a kid, television and comics were filled with SuperFriends, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, Superman, Spider-Woman, and so on. So the focus of 'play pretend' was "Hey, let's be super heroes!". I even had goals of being a journalist because that meant I could wear a costume underneath my suit and when trouble broke out, I'd kick bad guy butt.

It wasn't until 1987 (or 86 I'd have to sit down and use my super memory to recall) when a friend brought home "Marvel Super Heroes RPG". You cannot imagine the excitement we all had. I mean after years of repressing our urges to jump off rooftops wearing beach towels pinned to our backs, we almost exploded with glee. This would allow us to relive our fantasies from the times of 'play pretend'. It would give us the opportunity to once again be a Super Hero.

And even today, 20-30 years later, I indulge in the occasional super heroic role play. Yet I'm no journalist, I'm a Chiropractor.

tesral
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
You caught me.......I'm Special Agent Fox Scully assigned to the Tabletop Gamers Taskforce. I've logged your IP's and covert teams have been dispatched to you residences and places of business. We will finally remove the scourge that is PnP games.

That explains what the Dragon was sick over. Poor baby.

Digital Arcanist
01-16-2008, 09:13 PM
And even today, 20-30 years later, I indulge in the occasional super heroic role play. Yet I'm no journalist, I'm a Chiropractor.

At least that's what is written on the side of his van when he parks at the mall to give free adjustments to all the pretty women.:p

I too grew up in a deluge of super hero comics, cartoons, and toys. I had a pair of Superman pajamas complete with cape and I wore them everywhere until they literally fell off my body. My parents tried to pry me out of them everyday but I was faster than a speeding bullet and evaded them until they got tired and said screw it.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get a new pair of pajamas in men's sizes....:rolleyes:

Drohem
01-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I've never seen it but apparently on the show Steve has gone away to college and he has come back a few times to guest star on the show with the current host. Wouldn't mind seeing that. The new guy just doesn't have the innocence or charisma purveyed by Steve. Everything he does seems emulated and often forced. And this concludes my review of Blues Clues :p

Joe is the new host, and he is Steve's younger brother.

I watch this fricking show daily with my 2-year-old.

Oh god, shoot me now please :o

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Watching it every day would be maddening. I do watch Nick Jr. from time to time but it really is only once in a blue, pun intended, moon. Digital Arcanist this was the best (http://www.laredoute.co.uk/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=324125805&&DocumentId=274607&&CompanyId=R&&ECC=320006100) I could find.

Digital Arcanist
01-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I guess I'll have to go out and buy a red beach towel now....

Drohem
01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Watching it every day would be maddening. I do watch Nick Jr. from time to time but it really is only once in a blue, pun intended, moon.

Try watching the Doodlebops daily! Although, I am developing a strange sexual attraction to DeeDee Doodle now. I might even work up the nerve to ask my wife to put on some pink body make-up and pink wig :D

Kidding, I kid, I kid....um, no not really....oh god, shoot me now

tesral
01-17-2008, 04:29 PM

At least you can do something about a joint wracked out of place by jumping off roofs. Faster than a pinched nerve, more powerful that lower back pain. Able to press his fist completely through you backbone, IT'S....:D

Mulsiphix
01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
At least you can do something about a joint wracked out of place by jumping off roofs. Faster than a pinched nerve, more powerful that lower back pain. Able to press his fist completely through you backbone, IT'S....:DTesral you respond to so many posts with these kinds of responses that just leave me going "WHAAAAT?". And Drohem, you'd have to be a fool not to notice DeeDee. What a minx :rolleyes:

nijineko
01-19-2008, 10:41 AM
i think that the effect would be rather different were you to meet her out of makeup.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Do you have a picture of her out of make-up?! :D

nijineko
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I guess I'll have to go out and buy a red beach towel now....

read the Guide man! your towel is your most important possession!!

i think that the effect would be rather different were you to meet her out of makeup.

or... not, as the case may be....

Do you have a picture of her out of make-up?! :D

doodlebops unmasked.... (http://www.herbanmedia.com/shopping/doodlebops/the-doodlebops-unmasked.php)

Drohem
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
That link wouldn't work for me. So I did some looking and here is another link:

http://www.dontpulltherope.com/Doodlebops-Unmasked.asp

http://www.deedeerooneymoe.net/doodlebops/dblisa.html

Damn you nijineko!! :D

This has only fueled my problem!

Mulsiphix
01-22-2008, 01:10 AM
SHE IS FRIGGIN HOT!!! That is some hot hot doodlebop flesh ^_^

http://www.deedeerooneymoe.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/lisa7.jpg

Digital Arcanist
01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
This thread has jumped the rails and is heading for creepy town....

What the heck are you guys talking about?

rabkala
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
She definitely needs the make-up/costume on for full effect, not that she isn't attractive without it. Maybe I just love pink hair. Sweet DeeDee Doodlilicious action... welcome to creepytown.:D

Ummm, so anyway... We were talking about our next Supers game having the same setting as the Doodlebops. ;)

Mulsiphix
01-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah we were working on the character BIO's and needed some inspiration for DeeDee. I can't wait to see her in all her super hero glorious action. She'll fight evil by teaching them lessons with solid educational value. Then they will give up their lives of crime and become valuable members of society. I'm soooo excited :D.

nijineko
01-28-2008, 07:51 AM
so, speaking of strange things and superhero stuff more in general, what are some of the weirdest and most unique characters you've either played or met?

Drohem
01-28-2008, 01:43 PM
hehe...well, in Champions I created an Irishman whose powers made other people drunk. Also, his abilities increased with the more drunk he was as well.

The most crazy is a buddy of mine who has for years want to create a pimp superhero.

Recently, another friend started a supers where he let our buddy create his dream: The Silver Pimp. I still razz him about the ridiculous character.

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
so, speaking of strange things and superhero stuff more in general, what are some of the weirdest and most unique characters you've either played or met?Alright this isn't played or met but one of the most fascinating and original (at least it was the first time I saw anything like it) villian concepts was Clayface from Batman: The Animated Series :cool:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Clayface3.jpg

Glistam
01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
so, speaking of strange things and superhero stuff more in general, what are some of the weirdest and most unique characters you've either played or met?
In a dark, post-apocalyptic future there will be a kid who, having found a few old, precious Superman comics from our modern day, grew up idolizing this fictional hero. He became convinced that these comic books were the fragmented chronicles of a real Hero. A Hero who fought to preserve a peaceful world and who, he was convinced, if he existed today would use his powers to make the war-torn world he lives in a better place.

Mutates, Humans who have mutated and developed powers and abilities far beyond those of modern men, are a too-common sight in this future world. They terrorize the remenants of Humanity, while those Humans who are able to do so fight back with equal ferocity, sparing no tear for the civilians killed in the wake of their endless war.

This kid grew up believing that the world needed someone to step forward and protect the innocent. A Hero who would fight for truth and justice. In his late teens he came face to face with what should have been his death - caught in the crossfire between the Human fighters and a band of Mutates. Instead of dying he discovered that he had special powers of his own. Immediately he knew what he needed to do.

Faster than a speeding bullet he disarmed the Human fighters. More powerfully than a locomotive he knocked back the band of Mutates. Leaping the wreckage of tall buildings in a single bound he evacuated survivors. He didn't know how, but he knew that he had been given these abilities to make the world the better place he had always dreamed of. Improbably, he had the powers of Superman, and in this evil world he would use those powers to fight for what was right, and live up to the same standard the Man of Steel himself did all those years ago.

nijineko
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
i think one of the most interesting uses of a power in champions was this guy in a friends group. he was playing captain morgan. you know, the dude from the rum bottle commercials? well, he had this luck power that was defined as, 'whenever he puts out his hand, somehow, from somewhere, a rope, line or other thin flexible swingable item will fall into his hand, in a realistic and believable (if barely) fashion...' if he makes his luck roll. he bought this power up really high. it drove the dm wild trying to come up with logical ways to make this happen. and the party was rolling with laughter.

i think the best one i heard was they were in the middle of a desert and he jumps off a sand dune with his hand out... just then a biplane trailing an "eat at joe's" sign with a one of the cords broken off and dangling down flew by overhead, just in time for him to catch the cord and make a swinging attack.

they had about 5 or so 'best of the best' for this, but i only recall this one offhand. ^^

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Holy crap that sounds awesome! While a bit "out there" that is one of the most original super powers I've ever heard of in my entire life. Captain Morgan is also another "super hero" I would have never thought of somebody using. That guy is awesome :D

nijineko
02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
yeah, i think another of his powers had to do with painting mustaches on people. indelible for a good long time. we had a good laugh just talking about it. my friend could hardly get out some of the stories after a bit, from laughing so hard. ^^

one of my gurps:supers characters had an explosive delayed power that was defined as her snapping her fingers, and having a butler-type servant show up with a bag of gold, which bag of gold was then handed over to the unfor-- lucky individual. she was a very wealthy background type. one time i managed to load down a particularly stup-- lucky enemy with three bags of gold timed to go off simultaneously, and then turned and walked away just barely getting out of range before the last tick.

i have a whole series of characters for whom i set a design goal of stretching the design definition as far as possible for the most unique powers never before seen, or at least cool looking, anyhow. ^^

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Death by change? I've thought about it but never in bomb form lol. I guess it is no different than a suicide bomber with a bag full of ball bearings. You could even add to that and say the gold was cursed like in the movie the Pirates Of The Caribbean. Death to those in close proximity, a cursed life for those wounded or touched by flying coins. Good stuff :D

nijineko
02-06-2008, 04:18 PM
another character had super street fighter crossed with samurai showdown type powers defined. i had to link in movement powers to make some of them work. i drew a pic of one of her finishing moves.

Mulsiphix
02-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Which super street fighter? Care to share your picture?

TheQuestionMan
04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
There are hundreds of reasons that I like Superhero RPGs. It is mostly about personal preference. Besides, most Fantasy Campaigns that last a while turn the Characters into Superhumans/or Gods.

CHAMPIONS (SUPER) HERO RESOURCES
http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31865

IMOHO

QM

magic-rhyme
06-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Just in general, what makes a super hero RPG so awesome to you?

Two things that haven't been pointed out (or pointed out as much as I'd like).

First, you can play almost any other RPG genre in a superhero campaign. Only in a superhero campaign can Aragorn, Hermione Granger, The Shadow, Sherlock Holmes, Teen Wolf, Dr. Armitage, Commander Spock, and Luke Skywalker all play comfortably on the same team.

(A mighty wizard or fighter with a magic sword fits in a fantasy campaign AND a superhero campaign. A pulp era detective or secret agent fits in a pulp style campaign AND a superhero campaign. A werewolf rescuing his family from terrorists or a scholarly slayer tracking down eldritch godspawn fits in a horror campaign AND a superhero campaign. A scientific adventurer or a telepathic alien fits in an SF or space opera campaign AND a superhero campaign.)

Second, superhero is one of the few RPG genres where you can play a character who's trying to make the modern world a better place on a large scale. Fantasy campaigns are fun, but most of them revolve around graverobbing or killing off members of other intelligent species. Pulp style campaigns focus mostly on violence, not on helping people. Horror campaigns are reactive not proactive -- you kill off monsters (or go insane!), but you don't do anything about racism or poverty afterwards.

Sure, it's fun sometimes to give in to my inner barbarian and hack away at the dragon or let out my anger and head for the mob leader with machine guns blazing, and sure, there are opportunities for noble moments in a good LOTR-inspired fantasy campaign or a good space opera campaign based off Star Trek.

But it's also fun to watch my fellow players show their inner hero in this modern age, when heroism doesn't have much of a place anymore in the real world.

kitsune1842
07-01-2009, 03:41 PM
While all RPGs are escapism, only with a Super Hero game do I get to be every thing I have wanted to be, a nearly unstopable force for good and a beter person in general.

Starphoenix26
09-05-2009, 10:17 PM
great discussion!
i'm a new member that signed up tonight, and i've been role playing super heroes since i was 17 years old. (dating myself here.) I've played all three marvel games (still using the diceless system, with a viable dice variant.)
both dc game (and blood of heroes), champions, tried golden age sentinels and mutants and masterminds (and found that d20 is a lil restrictive for the supers genre)

my love of supers stem from growing up on them (i mean literally, i was reading shang chi, master of kung fu at 3..), and found myself relating more to heroics than fantasy...

i've been rp'ing and gm'img my campaign now for 22 years, and even though i play d&d, i'm always stoked when i get a chance to bust out stormknight to crack the head of some evil doer..

looking forward to chatting you guys more!

guardian1968
10-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Personally, what I have always loved about the superhero genre of rpg is that you can choose to either play it over the top or as realistic as you want and both decisions can still deliver a satisfying result (granted, depending upon who's running the game). Sometimes you get both choices in the same campaign and both will work with each other when the going gets tough, too.

It's also a nice change of pace. While other genres focus on what you can accumulate by the destruction of whatever you come across, superhero games (in general) focus on your character either fitting into society or choosing to be responsible about things...all the while being placed in situations where you get to protect people. Not a bad goal for any game, really. It also can be fun to test morality during the game like you quite can't do in other genres from the point-of-view that superhero rpgs can. Questions like "is there a god / God" and "why do I do what I do" and "have I been changed by destiny to be something more, like reshape humanity in my own image" can set an entire campaign on fire, opening new venues to explore for the players.

In a superhero rpg finding your place in the world can have repercussions that never come into play in other games. What you choose to do and how you do it can flavor the campaign and either terrify or challenge your GM. That and a bag of chips should get you experience to continue doing it.

Superheroes remain my favorite rpg genre because of what it can mean to a developing youngster and exploring existence for older folk on several levels (or not, depending if the players want a deep story or if the GM just wants to complicate matters for your character rather than tell a deep story).

If you haven't tried this philosophy with superhero rpgs, or if you haven't even thought of it...I highly recommend to give it try. You might like it. If anything, there's nothing like pretending to be something you aren't to an even greater degree.

spidey
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
I've been running a Marvel Super Heroes Campaign using my homebrew FASERIP system every Sunday at 2pm since 1984 and it is still going strong. One thing that a super hero RPG has built-in better than any other RPG world is grudges. The heroes and villains each have well known histories that allow for limitless story ideas and potential for epic conflict. Huge roleplaying potential and the coolest battles ever. Enormous fun.

guardian1968
10-27-2009, 08:46 AM
For me, superhero gaming takes a much different mindset for a player than would your typical, run-of-the-mill fantasy game. Anyone can create Captain Do-Anything Man...but to think out what your abilities, powers and origins are are akin to creating a fantasy character but approaching it from a different angle.

Most of the more stable of gamers I've met also game superhero rpgs...so for me that speaks volumes over saving the world or killing what you can to get experience... :)

Marvel Master
11-14-2009, 10:53 AM
For me, superhero gaming takes a much different mindset for a player than would your typical, run-of-the-mill fantasy game. Anyone can create Captain Do-Anything Man...but to think out what your abilities, powers and origins are are akin to creating a fantasy character but approaching it from a different angle.

Most of the more stable of gamers I've met also game superhero rpgs...so for me that speaks volumes over saving the world or killing what you can to get experience... :)

Good grief. I've found a clone. :)

I right there with ya. I'm running a Classic Marvel RPG at the moment (best RPG system ever in my estimation) and I've always found superhero RPGs to have more of what I'm looking for as an individual. Had one campaign that ran for about six years.

Put simply, I like good guys. I like the struggles they go through and the fact that good guys aren't perfect but in the end, they are good guys. I like the drama that goes with it, the character development, and all the different directions you can go.

For example, I could set my players in a fantasy setting with a superhero campaign but you couldn't do vice versa with something like D&D. That kind of flexibility alone is worth playing.

I have never been a big fan of the fantasy genre and I'll play a superhero genre based RPG over a fantasy one any day. I have both versions of the DC RPGs (there might have been a third. Not sure) and I simply get a kick out of the other versions of RPGs like Top Secret and Gamma World (in that order).

Been that way for a long time. Not changing any time soon. :)

guardian1968
11-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Good grief. I've found a clone. :)

For those who know me, that's a frightening thought... :)

I agree with you, though, 100%.

Marvel Master
11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Speaking of which, for those who are interested in joining Classic Marvel campaign, click the link below:

Classic Marvel Campaign Goes Online (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12833)

Any questions, send me a PM.

God bless.