PDA

View Full Version : Greetings fellow gamers!

Osmenthe
12-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Hello! I just recently moved to a new state, Idaho, from Washington and unfortunately it's quite a small town. It would be fantastic if I could find some fellow DnD gamers within a reasonable driving distance to game with.

I'm in New Plymouth ID which is right on the Oregon-Idaho border near the Snake River. It's 10 minutes from Ontario OR and an hour to Boise. Really anything in-between would be fine.

A little about my gaming:

I'm in my mid 30's and I am looking for a mature open minded campaign. I am more of a role player than a roll player. I enjoy the journey as well as the destination. I'm not a min/maxer nor a power-gamer. I enjoy extended and home-brewed campaigns as well. I can easily adjust my play for conservative groups as well as more open players. I have been playing/DMing since 1982 and am familiar with every incarnation of DnD. I played in a Living Greyhawk campaign for 2 years in WA.

If anyone in my area has a space open, please let me know! My email is osmenthe@hotmail.com

Thanks
Rodney

Digital Arcanist
12-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the forums and I if you have any questions be sure to speak up!

rabkala
12-25-2007, 04:12 PM
I am not a conservative fan. I would rather throw it in their face and make them respect me one way or another.

Anyway, welcome to the boards.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I am not a conservative fan. I would rather throw it in their face and make them respect me one way or another. A gamer after my own heart :p

Osmenthe
12-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I hear you both!

Most of my crowd in Washington lived "alternative" lifestyles. There really wasn't anything in our games that was Taboo.

Problem is, where I live now it's quite a bit more reserved. Heck, I've had to stop wearing my girlfriends skirts to clubs on Sat nights :D

The DnD seems so scarce here, I fear that I have to reign it in and just take what I can get. Even if that means curtailing my urges to "throw it in their face"

There is a playerbase of Hero/Champions and Rifts, but I'd sure like to find a good group of DnD players!

Rodney

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 10:06 PM
As a drastic last resort you could always find a group online. More and more people are turning to online games these days. Most don't bother with the full online clients like Klooge. Most are happy with a voice chat program (ventrilo, team speak, skype), group chat program (take your pick), and some sort of group map with a dice roller (maptool, openrpg). I'd rather play online in the setting of my choice than sit through G/PG games in real life. I game in R and Hard R!! :eek:

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 10:51 PM
You happen to live in a rather religious area Osmenthe, which is probably why there is a big group of Champs players. My father's side of the family comes from the Boise area and I remember not being able to get any sci-fi or fantasy novels from the libraries or bookstores because it was frowned upon.

Hopefully you can find a nice group of players. I would probably tone it down though or you'll find it hard to do much of anything.

Mulsiphix
12-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I live in an area of Texas known as "The Bible Belt". A small strip of HIGHLY religious territory. I've considered only hosting online games until I move to a more diverse and open minded area. Still haven't made up my mind yet. I prefer face-to-face but I just can't imagine not having heavy adult themes (gore, violence, sexual themes, etc...) in my adventures.

the doctor
12-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I hear you both!

Most of my crowd in Washington lived "alternative" lifestyles. There really wasn't anything in our games that was Taboo.

Problem is, where I live now it's quite a bit more reserved. Heck, I've had to stop wearing my girlfriends skirts to clubs on Sat nights :D

The DnD seems so scarce here, I fear that I have to reign it in and just take what I can get. Even if that means curtailing my urges to "throw it in their face"

There is a playerbase of Hero/Champions and Rifts, but I'd sure like to find a good group of DnD players!

Rodney

Rodney,

I understand your skepticism and applaud the candor of your alluded on "taking what you can get." I was hoping you would be interested in viewing our group, but if not then the least I can do is hook you up with some of the people in the "Know" in the Boise gaming scene.
Empire games is partly owned by a friend of mine (Bobby Hoobler) and All about Games is owned by Peter Sprague both of these shops having gaming boards and knowledgeable staffs. Both of these shops are in Boise. There is also a local gaming convention every fall and Empire Game has nights where they host different games.

Oh, and guys not everyone in Boise is religious or born and bred. I'm from Chicago and two of group are from California and one from Alaska.
Everyone in our group had played DnD off and on since the mid-80's and most of us are just burnt out on it, but I hope you find a group though.

The Doctor
(Am I Ginger?:rolleyes:)

Osmenthe
12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Rodney,

I understand your skepticism and applaud the candor of your alluded on "taking what you can get." I was hoping you would be interested in viewing our group, but if not then the least I can do is hook you up with some of the people in the "Know" in the Boise gaming scene.
Empire games is partly owned by a friend of mine (Bobby Hoobler) and All about Games is owned by Peter Sprague both of these shops having gaming boards and knowledgeable staffs. Both of these shops are in Boise. There is also a local gaming convention every fall and Empire Game has nights where they host different games.

Oh, and guys not everyone in Boise is religious or born and bred. I'm from Chicago and two of group are from California and one from Alaska.
Everyone in our group had played DnD off and on since the mid-80's and most of us are just burnt out on it, but I hope you find a group though.

The Doctor
(Am I Ginger?:rolleyes:)

Thank you very much for the leads! I'm heading to Boise today and will tour the gaming stores down there. I was only able to find addresses for All About Games and Dragon Games. I wasn't able to find contact info for Empire Games, so I'll try to use the "ZEN" method of tracking. "Wherever I wind up, is where I'm supposed to be!"

Wish me luck!

Ohh and Doctor, I was going through my boxes of gaming supplies and found my Champions character from 1984! That certainly brought back some memories.

Digital Arcanist
12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Has there been any progress in finding a suitable group?

Mulsiphix
12-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Any chance you successfully "zen'ed" your way to Empire Games?

Osmenthe
12-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Any chance you successfully "zen'ed" your way to Empire Games?

Nope, couldn't find it. But there was certainly some "Zen" working there. Right next to All About Games is an exotic lingerie and adult toy shop! The GF was interested ;)

So if anyone knows where Empire Games is, I'm sure I'll be in the area again...

Digital: no unfortunately I have not. I will probably look for an online gaming group, but to be honest, I'm a little intimidated by the tech. How embarrassing is that! I'd probably need some hand-holding at first, then I usually pick up really fast.

thanks!

the doctor
01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Osmenthe,

Empyre Games is just off of I-84 across the street from Dennis Dylan cars.
Their website also gives driving directions at: www.empyregames.com (http://www.empyregames.com)
The guy that working now that Bobby went back to teaching is Craig Henderson. He knows practically nothing about gaming, but he nice and knows when groups come around.

The Doctor

Osmenthe
01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Osmenthe,

Empyre Games is just off of I-84 across the street from Dennis Dylan cars.
Their website also gives driving directions at: www.empyregames.com (http://www.empyregames.com)
The guy that working now that Bobby went back to teaching is Craig Henderson. He knows practically nothing about gaming, but he nice and knows when groups come around.

The Doctor

Ahh there was my failing! The spelling!

Thank you very much! I will look them up.

tesral
01-02-2008, 11:58 AM
How far from Spokane? I know some people up that way who are not in the fourm. (I alas am not one of them living in Michigan) If Spokane is not too far I'll give them a poke.

Osmenthe
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
How far from Spokane? I know some people up that way who are not in the fourm. (I alas am not one of them living in Michigan) If Spokane is not too far I'll give them a poke.

Spokane is about 4 hrs from here. I'm in the SW of Idaho. Its on the Snake river along the Oregon border.

I appreciate the sentiment though!