PDA

View Full Version : To me, this was funny.

Xaels Greyshadow
12-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Although I'm sad to hear of the loss of Nomes in the upcomming 4E, but this was funny.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/toon/20071219a

Happy Hollidaze

Xaels

Malruhn
12-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks! I laughed my bottom parts off!!

I don't have a problem with losing gnomes - as most who really want to play them will just build something for themselves.

rabkala
12-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Ya, Hella funny! And in what sick fairy tale are gnomes even slightly monsterous or intimidating? I think my first 4e adventure will have to be a great gnome hunt to finally get rid of those little buggers.

GC13
12-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Every so often I think of the "They gave me a minion!" and then the later "Who's a good minion? You are!" that comes after it. :cool:

Definitely a good job on the gnome there, I must admit.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 12:37 AM
They got rid of Gnomes? What other races did they toss in 4E?

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 12:45 AM
There is discussion of giving the half-orc the ol' heave-ho.....

ronpyatt
12-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Actually, I got the impression the gnomes are still there. They are just not core. Or did I read it wrong?

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 12:49 AM
They are in the monster manual as a critter and not a player race so technically they are in the core books but no longer a playable race. Tieflings have taken their place in the PHB.

GC13
12-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah, the gnome in the animation was all excited about being in the Monster Manual and getting his own lair. :)

I'm torn about the half-orc though... I never liked them, but they make so much sense. Of course I only play humans (skill hound, I am; the feat doesn't hurt either), so as long as humans are in the PHB, I'll be happy. :D

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 12:57 AM
It would be an odd game to not be able to play as a human...

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 01:17 AM
I could understand the Half-Orc as they, in my opinion, differ little from full blooded orcs. However, the Gnome was a tinker hound. I never wanted to play as one though. I always thought there wasn't enough diversity between the Hobbit, Dwarf, and Gnome. I guess it makes perfect sense but jeesh its gonna take some getting used to.

Farcaster
12-25-2007, 03:02 AM
Well, the removal of the gnome will probably well be one of the changes that get kicked to the curb in my games. Of course, I've yet to see how they are implementing such a drastic change in the Forgotten Realms setting - my typical D&D campaign world of choice.

vic_kidd
12-25-2007, 08:21 AM
No Gnomes?? What is this game coming to?? (Crossing arms and pouting). Whatever will I make a good Illusionist out of next.....hmmmmmm

Xaels Greyshadow
12-25-2007, 09:14 AM
From the Rogue perspective, the lack of Gnomes as PC's will be a tragic loss for me. Although they will still be a core creature in the monster manual, there is nothing to me quite as important as having a mischeifous tinker in the party to help with on the spot item creation to be used in various ways. Also, providing that the DMG and PHB still hold that the game is open to interpetation by DM and players alike, and the goal is still to play and have fun, the Gnome race will only be dead on paper so to speak. From my DM perspective, Gnomes will always be a playable, core race for any player. I do get humor from the gnome hunt scenerio though, and could see incorporating that in a game.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Xaels

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Gnomes naturally make great villans but then again so do the other core races. I watched part of the unveiling of 4E on youtube. I think they did it at gencon this year? They mentioned that playable races would be taken down to eight. If they've replaced the gnome doesn't that mean that three or four other core races will also get the axe? Either way I think the loss of gnomes as playable characters is epic indeed.

*takes a moment of silence to remember his prankster comrades who once fought at his side*

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 12:03 PM
There's only 7 races in the core books now. They will adding some races instead of taking them away. They have already changed out the gnome and are considering trading out the Half-Orc for the Orc.

I like to play as gnomes and like Farcaster I will just ignore that change.

GC13
12-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Serves me right for not really paying any attention to all this 4E hullabaloo. I do like SAGA, but I don't know how similar 4E will be to it, as I haven't exactly been paying any attention to it. I will miss the ability to spread my skill points though, even though I don't always use the option.

fmitchell
12-25-2007, 02:01 PM
It would be an odd game to not be able to play as a human...

But funny. Imagine the video for that: elves, tieflings, and other species bragging about their kewl powerz, while humans, busted down to the Monster Manual as a mediocre race of peasants, complained in a Pythonesque accent about being repressed.

As funny as the WotC video was, at any rate.

rabkala
12-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I have a real problem with adding the infernal Tiefling and not the counterpart celestial Aasimir.

Shouldn't they just be a sub-category of human anyway. Make every half or part human race 'Blooded' humans. Half-orc's are very similar to Orcs and half-elfs just blow hard.

Well, the removal of the gnome will probably well be one of the changes that get kicked to the curb in my games. Of course, I've yet to see how they are implementing such a drastic change in the Forgotten Realms setting - my typical D&D campaign world of choice.The gnome will disappear with the great flushing sound heard across Faerun that ushers in the new age.

So
Human
Dwarf
Elf
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Halfling
Gnome Teifling
What is number eight?

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I really wish they would replace the half-orc. Does anybody ever play any games where players choose to be Half-Orc characters? Half-Elves I like enough to keep around. Had they chosen to get rid of dwarfs I would have keeled over.

fmitchell
12-25-2007, 03:48 PM
I really wish they would replace the half-orc. Does anybody ever play any games where players choose to be Half-Orc characters?

I've never played a half-orc, but I've thought about it. I care less about the bonuses/penalties than playing a being marked by its cruel heritage yet trying to live among humans ... but then I like that sort of thing.

P.S. Actually, I'd play a full orc foundling raised among humans, if the DM believed more in nurture than nature (i.e. USUALLY Chaotic Evil, not ALWAYS).

P.P.S. I'd be tempted to get rid of hybrids entirely, since by definition species can't interbreed. Either orcs, elves, dwarfs, demons, dragons, etc. can't breed with humans (or each other) at all, or the offspring of human/other pairings are essentially humans with a few traces of otherness. Or, if we're throwing genetics out the window, the offspring always take after the mother, with a few traces of the father.

rabkala
12-25-2007, 03:52 PM
In core only games, you get many half-orc fighters and barbarians because of the Strength boost. Many games do not allow full orcs as a player race or super strength races/templates that you can find in many supplemental material.

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I would rather have full blooded orcs than half-orcs. At least with real orcs you know where they stand and where their strengths lye. I too would like to see the half-X be dropped and replaced with full blooded races. As far as nuture versus nature, just look at Hellboy. Quality proof that your not always limited to the sum of your parts :P

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I would rather have full blooded orcs than half-orcs. At least with real orcs you know where they stand and where their strengths lye. I too would like to see the half-X be dropped and replaced with full blooded races. As far as nuture versus nature, just look at Hellboy. Quality proof that your not always limited to the sum of your parts :P

But you're always limited by the size of your parts!!:eek:

rabkala
12-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow, size matters. But DA, your wife always says she loves you anyway...

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 08:55 PM
If I were married I would write that into my vows!!!

Mulsiphix
12-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Its about girth, not length people. Just as much as it is about stamina versus desire. What exactly would you write into your vows? Just trying to get an image here in my head. Your with your wife to be, standing in front of everybody, their attention focused solely on your as you prepare to read your vows. What words come out of your mouth?

Digital Arcanist
12-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Here I was talking about the Acampo Community Player's annual winter play and you went straight for the low-brow penis joke.

I would write in only what Rabkala said, that she would have to tell me she loves me no matter what...

GC13
12-25-2007, 10:48 PM
You're never limited to the sum of your parts, you're limited to the product of them. Just ask Colonel Santiago. :p

Mulsiphix
12-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I took it as a low brow penis joke. My apologies.

Digital Arcanist
12-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I took it as a low brow penis joke. My apologies.

I'm just yankin' your chain....:D

Mulsiphix
12-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Lol :D

The Wandering Bard
12-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Please don't hold me to this, but I have heard through the grape vine that the Half-elf is being considered for the Axe as well, as most people play either an Elf or a Human.

Digital Arcanist
12-28-2007, 06:45 PM
They aren't mentioned in the Races and Classes book.