PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help



jader9920
12-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I am putting together a campaign, after being away from the game for a while. I have my overall plot, but I need some help filling in the gaps and getting my players form boss to boss.

The whole thing starts out with the party being awakened in the middle of the night in the inn of a city they just arrived in. All they hear around them is the sound of fire and the moaning of the undead.
The entire city is in flames, and the Inn will be the next to go.
The party must make its way to the only sancuatary they notice, which is a temple on a hill at the north end of town.
Inside the temple they see a box which is lit from above. When they open the box all that is inside is a note which reads:
"In times of need say his name
And Silverthorn will obey
The messenger of the gods will appear
And and assist you any way you need"
When someone in the party says his name, a young boy(around 14) appears and asks "What is your wish master?"
The party can ask him questions, which he will always answer either in riddles or so vaguely that it isn't a lot of help. Once the party puts together that he says wish, the party can call him and wish for things which they may or may not get.
Undead burst through the front of the church and the only escape is a door at the altar which leads to the tombs under the church.
There are several sarcophogi here, under one of them is a full set of half pplate and a longsword. These shine as if newly polished, but its obvious they haven't been in use in centuries.
They will also notice a hole in the far wall. Inside this hole are several cards with pictures of various demonic looking figures as well as a few diety or angelic type creatures and one of Silverthorne.

From here I don't have the rest mapped out yet, but in the end Silverthorne will be the main bad guy with the creatures on the cards as "sub-bosses". The world is being overrun with undead, and clerics, as part of this campaign, all of the cleric spells are "iffy" there is a 60% chance the spell will fail, 30% chance the spell will work normally, and a 10% the spell is supercharged in some way.
I also intend to have the cleric in our party treat Silverthorne as though he were the equivalent of the pope. He will get secret visits from SIlverthorne away from the other party members, and the cleric will listen to everything Silverthorne says.

Any help or critiques are much appreciated.

Farcaster
12-21-2007, 12:52 PM
all of the cleric spells are "iffy" there is a 60% chance the spell will fail, 30% chance the spell will work normally, and a 10% the spell is supercharged in some way.
I also intend to have the cleric in our party treat Silverthorne as though he were the equivalent of the pope. He will get secret visits from SIlverthorne away from the other party members, and the cleric will listen to everything Silverthorne says.

Any help or critiques are much appreciated.

On the mechanics side of things, if you are intending for the cleric to be a PC, you'll need to balance out the spell failure chance with something else. Otherwise, the cleric will just end up being a pretty ineffective warrior. Plus, it would be very frustrating to have more than half of the spells I cast simply fizzle.

Also, getting a player character to hold the Silverthorne NPC in such high regard without it seeming arbitrary will be tricky. You should be prepared for how this relationship will go if the cleric doesn't blindly trust the NPC. Perhaps a better way of framing this is that Silverthorne's goal is for the cleric to eventually come to treat him like a pontiff of the faith. If that's the case, then you need to have a good understanding of his motivation for doing so, and the NPC should have a strategy for making this happen.

Maelstrom
12-21-2007, 01:07 PM
3 cautions:

1) In general, there are a lot of things that could go wrong if the players don't do exactly what you expect them to with the initial adventure. On the other hand, if you force them into your story they might feel that they really aren't players... they are just observers.

2) Also, I'd be careful with working with one of the players (the Cleric) much more than the others. It might end up being the DM and the cleric vs the other players.

3) I agree with Farcaster on the cleric restrictions, going to make it pretty difficult to play a cleric if you fail in your spells most of the time... a cleric spell often is in response to quickly right a combat, and if it doesn't work the players are really in trouble (such as neutralizing poison or a healing spell on a dying player).

Those cautions aside, I like the premise. Having the early calamity will instantly involve the players into the storyline as they quickly jump into their role to save humanity (and demihumanity?).

There are ways to have the players want to do what you'd like them to do, and still have them have feeling they are doing it themselves... In some of my campaigns I've put the villian right in front of the players' nose, with the villian supposedly helping the players and being their friend in a friendless area. I leave enough clues and such though, so when the villian is finally revealed, it will be a twist in an adventure, not a unilateral upheaval (the difference between the players saying "oh, that's how it happened" and "that was just stupid").

I like the forshadowing with the cards, that's a nice touch.