PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Adventure

starfalconkd
12-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Do you have a favorite adventure? Let's hear about it. Is it a published module, something out Dungeon, or something your DM cooked up?

rabkala
12-16-2007, 11:37 AM
I like all those modules that I posted about in the definitive supplements thread, but my favorite was one I cooked up myself. It was about an old religion that disappeared. I used several old Dungeon magazine adventures dealing with temples and such, all had some connection to the old religion. There was a real air of mystery as they found evidence in the catacombs of a new church being built over the old, discovered confirmation of secret sects within some established churches, and manifestations of a reawakening emerged.

The players all loved it. It was toward the end of 2e, and I foolishly killed the campaign in favor of starting a new 3e game. I have thought about trying to pull it off again, but wasn't sure if I could recapture it without my original sources.

Drohem
12-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, for classic wackyness I would have to say X2 Castle Amber.

I really liked N4 Treasure Hunt and N5 Under Illefarn.

RealmsDM
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Favorite 1e module was Against the Giants... so many memories.

My favorite to run was Return to the Tomb of Horrors, for 2e

My favorite module I played in was A Paladin in Hell, for 2e

Farcaster
12-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't think I have ever played or run a published adventure or campaign that I actually enjoyed. I tried several. Most recently, it was Expedition to Undermountain, which came out earlier this year. Unfortunately, it failed to capture my attention or the attention of my players.

So, my favorite adventure would have to be a Forgotten Realms campaign of my own devising that picked up where Troy Dennings, "Trial of Cyric the Mad" left off. The adventure was a postulation of what would happen if several years later, the Crynishad not-so-accidentally ended up in Oghma's library, and if Oghma himself ended up reading it and becoming corrupted by it. My players loved it. I shan't give too many details though, since it is highly possible I may well run that campaign again in the future. :cool:

Digital Arcanist
12-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I don't think I have ever played or run a published adventure or campaign that I actually enjoyed. I tried several. Most recently, it was Expedition to Undermountain, which came out earlier this year. Unfortunately, it failed to capture my attention or the attention of my players.

So, my favorite adventure would have to be a Forgotten Realms campaign of my own devising that picked up where Troy Dennings, "Trial of Cyric the Mad" left off. The adventure was a postulation of what would happen if several years later, the Crynishad not-so-accidentally ended up in Oghma's library, and if Oghma himself ended up reading it and becoming corrupted by it. My players loved it. I shan't give too many details though, since it is highly possible I may well run that campaign again in the future. :cool:

That's a great plot Farcaster. I also perused the Expedition to Undermountain and didn't care for it. I loved the novel but this module didn't capture what was presented in the novel.

My favorite campaign would have to be a home brew campaign where the players were sucked from their different Material Planes and thrown into the setting. They were just a few of the many that were displaced over the years and of course they became part of the two factions of the setting; the Native Born and the Outworlders. There is some intrigue going on and an epic battle of good versus evil and my Dragon Paladin has uncovered some lore pointing towards a dark purpose for the Outworlders and a possible way to put everyone back. Since my dragon was in the middle of a fierce battle during the Dragon Rage in the FR, he is very anxious to return home.

starfalconkd
12-16-2007, 05:55 PM

That sounds like a scenario that could turn the world inside out. The God of Knowledge serving the Prince of Lies. Sounds rather epic.

Maelstrom
12-17-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure if it quite fits here, but this thread does remind me of one event that occured.

Our party had come upon a vast chasm. There was an entrance to a tunnel on the other side of the chasm that appeared to be the only direction to go. On either side of the chasm there was a pillar, and being the best with ropes my character grappled onto the one on the opposite side to string a rope between the two pillars.

Party members started crossing one by one. The second to last was an NPC cleric we were protecting, who had gauntlets of Ogre Power. As she was crossing, suddenly Stirges appeared. Our characters were able to shoot some of them down before they reached the cleric, but some got to her and latched on. While she attempted to dislodge them with her gauntlets, she lost her grip.

My character, being the last in line to cross, immediately cut the rope and dived off the ledge in an attempt to catch the cleric on the way down. Through a bad roll I missed her and slammed into the opposite side of the chasm, barely hanging on. Thinking quickly, a party member above tossed down a potion of flying, but again I rolled bad and didn't catch it.

Fortunately, some spiders had set up a web below the chasm entrances, unbeknownsed to us. The cleric called up that she was all right, so my character jumped down, fended off the spiders that resided there, found the flying potion, and escaped with the cleric.

Farcaster
12-17-2007, 12:39 PM
The God of Knowledge serving the Prince of Lies. Sounds rather epic.

It was rather epic. Before the end of the campaign, the character's had personally met several gods and had been in the proximity of many others. Of course, they also had made themselves a personal enemy of Cyric. To the point that they were considering moving to Sigil, just to have someplace that could be safe from divine intrusion. But, although the story was of epic proportions and consequence, ironically, the party had only leveled from 1st to between 12th-14th level (2nd edition D&D) when they finished up the first campaign.

Vulture
12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
my favorite adventure hase to be the Styies

Malruhn
12-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I've always liked The Village of Hommlet, though Castle Amber was also quite good.

I remember how twisted I got in Isle of Dread, when I realized that the "dungeon" was a space ship and there were laser-blasters available! It opened my eyes to the possibility of getting involved in cross-over DMing.

Ravenloft opened my eyes to properly played NPC's - and imbalanced adventures. If played properly, there is no party that can survive Vlad in that adventure.