PDA

View Full Version : favorite campaign

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-13-2007, 09:17 PM
what is your favortie campaign that you have been in?

Olothfaern
12-14-2007, 12:32 AM
We played an all Cleric party, it was silly ridiculous.

squidyak
12-14-2007, 02:43 PM
My favorite campaign was a round robin. There were about 10 players, around 6 of which took turns running in order. It went on this way for about a year.

Maelstrom
12-17-2007, 05:23 AM
My favorite was run by a D&D Master way back in the day. He's where I learned what D&D really was about and how when done well it can be an amazing thing.

He got in from the very get-go, an engineer from HP (yeah, the big printer company) that has a portion of the Greyhawk world mapped out with incredible detail. He must have been working on it from the early days of D&D, since he had binders full of information.

Anyways, many of the ideas I have posted here have come initially from him. He was a master of creating interesting opponents and keeping you on your feet. One wizard kept coming back, and we found out he had an invisible ring of regeneration on one finger after we killed him for the 3rd time.

The campaign was in a far reach of Greyhawk, where the players were trapped on land by a dangerous fey-fill wood and by sea by a Dragon Turtle which terrorized the lake. There was a single villiage, and with their general distrust of magic and quite a few eccentric NPCs, it was always an interesting place. I very much liked the dynamic of having a small isolated town as a home base, with very memorable NPCs who you constantly have to deal with, so I still use it to this day.

The adventurers were varied, ranging from a easily accesible extra-dimensional path with many random doors (including a spectator, 2nd edition beholder relation) to a race through a mine on carts. We went into wells, attacked and defended a fortress, and I remember one time particularly hanging out behind an iron golem I aquired as a pet with a magical candle to keep healing him as he defended the gatehouse.

This was D&D at its finest, and I have been striving for that ideal ever since.

Malruhn
12-17-2007, 03:13 PM
In all my years of gaming, I still think that my favorite was with the first real DM that I had. Hutch actually thought out the WHY's behind what he put in the campaign. He created villains that were believable, recurring, and SHOULD be hated.

I use him as a litmus test on what I do nowadays - after a session, I always ask if Hutch would have been pleased with what I did.