PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Invitations Forum

Farcaster
12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
For a long while now, I have been eying the Campaign Invitations section for a serious face lift. In fact, at one point I considered getting rid of the entire section in favor of just using the Player Registry. But, while the registry is an excellent tool for finding other players, it doesn't allow GMs to specifically advertise a campaign he's running. So, since our doors first opened, we've had a forum for GMs to post their games. Unfortunately, like the countless other forums out there that do this, the GM has to hope that a player will stumble upon his entry amongst the countless others, and will happen to be in his area, and has the same availability, and wants to play the same type of game...

The New Tool
At long last, the Campaign Invitations (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) section has undergone the first stage of transformation into becoming a great tool like the Player Registry. Campaigns posted in the CI forum can now be searched by distance, genre, days the game will be held on, and if that campaign is actively seeking players. You can also now search for games specifically being held online and with a particular software package (i.e. KloOge, OpenRPG, etc).

Once you complete a search, you'll have a listing of any campaigns that met your criteria. You'll notice a quick summary of the genre, name of the campaign, approximate distance, days the game is played, and frequency of sessions. You can also sort the results by when the campaign was posted, the last time a post was made on the campaign, or the distance. You can open up any of the campaign threads to get more details, including: the system being used, the style, the size of the group desired, and among other things, the familiar Google Map that you can zoom in on to find out where the game is.

Posting a New Campaign
Posting a new campaign (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=17) isn't much different than before, except now you will have a number of new fields to add summary information. When you post a new campaign, complete as much of the form as possible, because this is these new fields will be used by potential players to find your game. Even with all the new wizbangs, though, don't forget to put some love into the campaign description area. The better written your description is, the more likely players are to be attracted to your game. Also, keep in mind that things like the "Street Address" are publicly visible, so if you don't want your address to be broadcast across the world, you may use just the crossroads, or leave that section blank and just use the city, state.

Previously Posted Games
If you previously posted a campaign in the Campaign Invitations area and haven't already updated your listing, please do so as soon as possible. Players using these new search tools will not be able to find your campaign if it isn't updated, and old campaigns that haven't been updated to use the new system will be archived in the coming weeks.

Thoughts / Suggestions?
Keep in mind that this is just the first phase, so there are more features in store. But, please, share any suggestions you have that could make this tool even better -- including other summary fields we could add, features or even layout.

Below are some screenshots of the new section.

PhishStyx
12-10-2007, 11:19 PM
How about a field where you can put the game system being used?

InfoStorm
12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Well, as I've been actively trying to recruit people using the player registry, I figure I'd throw one up in the new format for an example :)

Farcaster
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Phish, that field already exists. It's the "System Used" field, second from the top. It isn't presently searchable, although I suppose I could make it so. The problem is there are way too many systems out there for me to put them all into a drop down box, and there is no standard to how system names are put in. For instance, I may write "D&D 3.5," whereas another GM may put, "Dungeons and Dragons." That is why I was reticent to make it a searchable field, because members may inadvertently filter out games that actually do use the system they are interested in, but spell it a different way.

Perhaps if I had a matrix of different common variations that I could compare against, it would help. That's quite an undertaking to build though. If anyone wants to tackle it though, let me know.

PhishStyx
12-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I completely screwed up what I was talking about.

I was thinking about it not showing up on the "Threads in Forum" page when you're looking down the list.

So for instance, it would go in a listing like:

[Fantasy] [D&D 3.5] Chrystaria Lives: Souls of Sin (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4591) ~ 414 miles (maptools)
Dearborn, MI - Sunday - Weekly
Posted By: dontadow

I know a lot of people already put the system they're using in the thread title, but others don't. And it may not be clear to them that they need to. Including it in the listing when offered in the campaign summary seems easy and positive.

SasseyFrass
12-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Is there a place for continuous campaign invites (like the rpga living campaigns as well as the independent ones)?

Maelstrom
12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Don't have any suggestions at this point, but did want to point out I love it!

Anaesthesia
12-20-2007, 06:19 PM
I know a lot of people already put the system they're using in the thread title, but others don't. And it may not be clear to them that they need to. Including it in the listing when offered in the campaign summary seems easy and positive.

Ditto. My only complaint is some of the invites don't tell you a lot about what the DM is planning on once s/he has players; for instance instead of just saying in the post, "We play on Fridays;" saying "The Gnome princess and her court was kidnapped by a band of Orcs on the way to a peace treaty signing with the Dwarves. I am planning to play on Fridays, my group consists of such-and-such." is just more interesting, and would make me feel more like I know how my character is going to "fit" into this world; or wheter or not I'd like to participate in this game. Just an idea..

ninjaman12003
12-30-2007, 09:48 PM
hi folks i'm looking 4 to 6 players for the new starwars campaign non-rpga format in richfield minnesota haven't had much luck on the player regsty

Mulsiphix
12-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Just wanted to add that I really like this new addition. You said that this is phase one. Any idea what you have in mind for future phases or how many phases there will be?

Digital Arcanist
12-30-2007, 09:56 PM
hi folks i'm looking 4 to 6 players for the new starwars campaign non-rpga format in richfield minnesota haven't had much luck on the player regsty

Have you tried posting your campaign in the Campaign Invitations section. There are many users that did not input their location so the registry won't help you locate them.

Mulsiphix
12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
hi folks i'm looking 4 to 6 players for the new starwars campaign non-rpga format in richfield minnesota haven't had much luck on the player regstyIn case your feeling lazy: Campaign Invitations Forum (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17).

Farcaster
12-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Just wanted to add that I really like this new addition. You said that this is phase one. Any idea what you have in mind for future phases or how many phases there will be?

Well, here's another enhancement for you:
http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16160#post16160

The enhancements will be made iteratively. In other words, I generally work on smaller chunks at a time and put out the most useful features as they are developed.

jacklee15
07-21-2011, 11:07 AM
If anybody feeling lazy then visit this link: Invitations
(http://www.vistaprint.co.nz/birthday-wedding-party-baby-invites.aspx)