PDA

View Full Version : For You Ptolus Fanatics

Mulsiphix
12-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I recently purchased Ptolus (http://www.ptolus.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?ptolus) and was surprised how many companies were producing products for it. I looked around and couldn't find a complete listing of items produced for this setting anywhere. Seeing as this is the world D&D 3E was created from I figured such a listing was a needed. Here it is.

I've created a list of all known Ptolus products produced by Malhavoc Press and all third parties, complete with links to each product and product pricing. It also includes all promo material, freebies, and coverage of Ptolus in non-Malhavoc Press publications. To my knowledge this listing is complete. If I missed anything please let me know and I will update it. I created this in Open Office. Due to the ridiculous amount of links it would take forever to manually convert this into BBCode. I've converted it into a few other formats though. Enjoy!

Complete Ptolus Product Listing: HTML (http://www.itemorphanage.com/ptolus/ptolus.html) | PDF (http://www.itemorphanage.com/ptolus/ptolus.pdf) | XLS (http://www.itemorphanage.com/ptolus/ptolus.xls) | ODS (http://www.itemorphanage.com/ptolus/ptolus.ods)

Farcaster
12-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Thats great work, Mulsiphix! Thank you for sharing!

Digital Arcanist
12-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Have you played Ptolus yet Mulsiphix? I'm currently in a campaign right now. I think the setting is good and the book has so much information in it.

I'm playing a Gatewarden dwarf cleric. My DM allowed me to change the Iron God to the Metal God so I can forge things in the new alloys in the book. I am now Van Halen, priest of the Metal God!!!

Olothfaern
12-07-2007, 12:13 AM
snip... I am now Van Halen, priest of the Metal God!!!

go 'head and Jump!

Mulsiphix
12-07-2007, 04:51 AM
My wife and I just pulled it out of the shrinkwrap last night. We plan to DM for it so we're going give it a thorough read like any other great novel. I've done a lot of research on it and I'm very excited to start planning adventures in the Ptolus universe. I've read plenty of bits and pieces from the book already though. :p;):D:o:):rolleyes::cool:

Mulsiphix
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Alright guys I went ahead and updated the list. It contains the references cited here (http://okayyourturn.yuku.com/sreply/138902/t/Ptolus-Praemal-References-in-OTHER-Malhavoc-products.html) as well as ALL Malhavoc material. I didn't bother including links to all of the Malhavoc printed material as most is out of print and I would be linking to sites like Amazon. All of the PDF documents are linked to at RPGDriveThru.com. If anybody has anymore suggestions on how I can make this list better or more complete, PLEASE let me know. Enjoy!

rabkala
12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I have chaositech (a gift), The Banewarrens, Queen of Lies, Beyond the Veil, Book of Eldritch Might, Book of Eldritch Might II, and Book of Hallowed Might. I have also used Black Rain.

There are definite power issues if any of these are used in 'regular' D&D games. The adventures were not bad with a little tweaking.
Chaositech, the Eldritch might books, and Hallowed Might book all have problems. They Might be fine in Ptolus games, but overpowered otherwise. They are useless for most gamers who care about the delicate balance of power. Regular D&D stuff is less powerful in Montes world, and his stuff is too powerful in regular worlds.

Mulsiphix
12-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Luckily for me just about all of Monte's stuff will be used within settings established by Malhavoc Press and of course Ptolus :D

gdmcbride
12-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Ptolus is a fabulous book. The second best RPG product I purchased in 2006. Actually what I love about it most is its completeness. It needs nothing. You have a complete 3.5 campaign in a single book with source material to spare.

Still, those big vinyl maps are damned cool. The best thing about it -- it is a natural player recruiting tool. Bring one to a convention or a game store and break out. Everyone looks over it, oohs and aahs, and wants to play Ptolus. Immediately.

Gary

Mulsiphix
01-11-2008, 09:26 PM
What was the first "best RPG product" from 2006 you purchased?

Updated the lists to include all of the free adventures Monte Cook wrote for WOTC (like Black Rain). This listing should be complete now :)

tesral
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Updated the lists to include all of the free adventures Monte Cook wrote for WOTC (like Black Rain). This listing should be complete now :)

A ream of blank paper.

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 01:03 AM
If you love blank paper tesral I can really make next Christmas a memorable one for you ;)

tesral
01-12-2008, 01:05 AM
If you love blank paper tesral I can really make next Christmas a memorable one for you ;)

I can only store so much. I like it better once I print something on it.

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Maybe a "paper of the month" subscription lol :rolleyes:

gdmcbride
01-12-2008, 06:25 AM

"The Great Pendragon Campaign" by Greg Stafford

This book is the collected work of more than twenty years. It is brilliantly written and brilliantly executed. While not as beautiful as Ptolus, its breadth and amazing emotional content make it a gem. With this one book, you can run a campaign that stretches more than eighty years and encompasses the full lifetime of the greatest hero of Western literature. I am awed by Greg's achievement. Simply awed.

Here's a sample:

"Through this book, player characters experience the brutality of Arthur's father, the anarchy of the interregnum, the war and drama of King Arthur's rise to power, the quests and otherworld adventures of the high adventure period, and then the decline and destruction of the Round Table.

"This book is not the game, but the stuff behind the game. The real game is the story of the player characters, but they are set against a medieval backdrop that provides all the static parts of the world: castles, armor, tapestries of heroes surrounding the feasthall, and so on.

"Upon that is the Great Pendragon Campaign, which is the movement of legend towards its destiny. ... There, where the player characters are living their lives in the midsts of the fantastic Arthurian world, is the game."
-- Greg Stafford

Gary

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Simply outstanding. I prefer background and setting products far more to those that include game mechanics or rule sets. I wish more RPG products were like this. I've added it to the top of my "must own" list. Any chance you have similar "background heavy" books you would recommend to others?

Xaels Greyshadow
01-12-2008, 05:56 PM
A ream of blank paper.

I would like a ream of blank paper, and a high quality laser printer.

Mulsiphix
01-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I recently bought the HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-In-One and a continuous ink supply system. I get a whole pound of each ink color now (16oz per color) for $20. This thing is the best inkjet I've ever owned and it is fast as hell.

tesral
01-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I would like a ream of blank paper, and a high quality laser printer.

HP ColorLaserJet 5M

rabkala
01-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Maybe a "paper of the month" subscription lol :rolleyes:
Not to hijack the thread, but paper can be pretty cool. A younger cousin of mine took numerous classes about paper making, probably due to the large impact the paper industry has on this area. He has made really cool paper by hand for numerous maps and player handouts for my games. Sometimes, the paper is so nice, I am afraid my calligraphy and cartography skills will not due the paper justice.

Mulsiphix
01-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Sometimes, the paper is so nice, I am afraid my calligraphy and cartography skills will not due the paper justice.I used to feel this way all the time when I was in school as a teenager. Whenever I would sit down before the pristine canvas that I was about to paint on, I would dread the end result would not be as beautiful as the medium it was created on :rolleyes:

tesral
01-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I used to feel this way all the time when I was in school as a teenager. Whenever I would sit down before the pristine canvas that I was about to paint on, I would dread the end result would not be as beautiful as the medium it was created on :rolleyes:

I can feel that way about a model or even a pile of beautiful materials. Am I up to the promise that lay before me?

Mulsiphix
01-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I can feel that way about a model or even a pile of beautiful materials. Am I up to the promise that lay before me?"If we could but paint with the hand what we see with the eye." -- Honore de Balzac

tesral
01-13-2008, 11:45 PM
"If we could but paint with the hand what we see with the eye." -- Honore de Balzac

A wise man indeed.

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I have updated the list yet again. This time I added the content that was unique to the bonus cd (in a new category) and better organized the Malhavoc Products to reflect what they were for (most noticeably Arcana Unearthed). If I find anything new I will be sure to update it yet again lol. Enjoy ^_^