PDA

View Full Version : Calling-in-Sick?

Farcaster
11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
As I find myself calling in sick today to work, I am reminded of an article that I read a couple weeks ago. The article sited a pretty staggering percentage of us who call in sick when we're actually not. So, it got me curious, how many of us have ever called-in-sick, when the real reason we are calling-in is to roleplay or perhaps because we stayed up WAY too late roleplaying?

Drohem
11-28-2007, 01:51 PM
When I was a lot younger I was guilty of this due to late nights; not necessarily a session in of its self.

rabkala
11-28-2007, 06:20 PM
I've called in 15 times in 2007. 5 times because of my kids, once because I was sick, Twice due to parties, the rest were greatly influenced by staying up too late gaming.

PhishStyx
11-28-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't recall ever calling in sick due to a game, but I did have one job where I got fed up with how a couple people got to do pretty much what they wanted but I was expected to follow a stricter standard.

For example, I was told that we were only allowed 1 Saturday off per month, but apparently that just applied to me because the girl who worked beside me rarely if ever showed up on Saturdays and had no repercussions from it. So just once (in 3 1/2 years of working there), I called in sick because my girlfriend (now wife) wanted me to spend Saturday with her and our friends after she drove 3 hours to see us.

Digital Arcanist
11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
I've called in sick a couple times over the years because I stayed up till around 4 AM playing D&D and had to be out the door for work at 5 AM.

Moritz
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Not because of RP'ing. Perhaps to hang out with a girl. But hang out with a bunch of smelly guys. Nah.

Snuffy
11-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I've found myself contemplating to call-in a couple times before games I was gm'ing. I just wanted to prepare more stuff.

Never called in though. I've called in to go riding (dirt bikes) when the weather is perfect.

kavvov
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
When I was in college we had a gaming group that met in the quad and if the session was going particularly well there would be several of us who would develop illnesses or just not go to class. I just followed a strict just let them assume I was sick policy. I never lied about it I just never corrected them. I also never missed rehearsal (music major) since my not showin up actually affected others.
Since I have entered the workplace I have never called in sick for a game (or any other non-sick releated reason) but I have traded days rearranged things, etc on many occasions.

rabkala
11-30-2007, 10:52 PM
It seems like a real waste of a day to stay home sick. I would rather go in sick and save the personal and sick days for fun. Then, there are weeks of vacation time that I can use at the drop of a hat. My employer would much rather have me take a day off here and there, than actually schedule numerous days/weeks together. The longest I took off at once was a two week period of time. They missed numerous deadlines and many things basically stood still until I returned to do them. Now I am one of those people that Phish complains about, cause the rules for everyone else don't apply to me. :)

Grimwell
12-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I've done it for job interviews, and once because I was hung over (coworkers got me drunk so it was work related). Beyond that it's been for my kids when they are sick.

The company I'm at now is very cool. I don't have sick days. I have days off. I can schedule them in advance if I'm planning, or just take them if I need them (sick, surprise shift in plans, sleepy, etc.).

They don't put them in separate banks. I'd just get shot if I took a day off during crunch, beyond that they are amazingly flexible.

Farcaster
12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Where I work is about the same, Grim. We get one bucket of PTO (Paid Time Off) that is used for sick time, vacation, personal days, whatever. I like it, especially since I don't usually use that much sick time. And since it is all lumped together, I end up accruing a full day off every two weeks.

highinquisitorlord
12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I have never "called" in sick for RPGs, however I have messaged the schedule to have a day off now and then for my regular D&D game. So I suppose that counts in my mind as calling in sick.

HIL

spotlight
12-03-2007, 07:19 PM
When I was younger, an all weekend game did not stop me from going to work. Being young, it was easier to get a caffein spike and tough it out. How ever now that I have a few years under my belt... Well, I just don't try pulling 'forty-eighters' any more. And I have called in sick for many strange reasons, but never for a game. Yet!

underdarkshark
01-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh i have, Ashrons Call, and World of Warcraft, were two reasons..but never to play a paper and dice game. With online games i would find myself in an "instance" at 3am even after i "promised myself" i would be off line by 11pm. Next thing i know its dawn, ive drank 5 mtn dew's in the last 3 hours and everywhere i look i see colorful "spots" yes i admit i have called in in those instances..

Mulsiphix
01-18-2008, 10:49 PM
I've enjoyed both calling in sick from work and ditching school to play BattleTech. I actually lost a job and was put in in school suspension for my excessive tardiness. I'm not really in a place that I could do that now but I cherish the memories of when such things were viable :rolleyes:

MortonStromgal
01-19-2008, 12:04 AM
No, I have called in drunk though... ahhh to work for a small company again. :rolleyes:

tesral
01-19-2008, 01:03 AM
As I find myself calling in sick today to work, I am reminded of an article that I read a couple weeks ago. The article sited a pretty staggering percentage of us who call in sick when we're actually not. So, it got me curious, how many of us have ever called-in-sick, when the real reason we are calling-in is to roleplay or perhaps because we stayed up WAY too late roleplaying?

To role-play, never. Becasue of role-play and being seriously over froliced, yea, a time or two.

I have also gotten home from a session, grabbed some breakfast and headed out to work a nine hour day. Trust me, call in. That was was Hell ride of a day that lasted a day for every fifteen minutes.

Me not stupid, me learn and never do that again.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 02:08 AM
tesral you speak in riddles. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to Dr. Phil. A whole bunch of tesral-isms that only you can understand. I love it :D

tesral
01-19-2008, 11:27 PM
tesral you speak in riddles. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to Dr. Phil. A whole bunch of tesral-isms that only you can understand. I love it :D

What incomprehedablity am I hucking your way?

Mulsiphix
01-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I prefer not to list some of the more confusing phrases you've uttered. One of your most attractive traits, to me of course, is the mystery of what your really saying. Where would the fun be if you sat down and explained some of these things to me. I'd rather keep on guessing ;)

tesral
01-20-2008, 10:19 PM
I prefer not to list some of the more confusing phrases you've uttered. One of your most attractive traits, to me of course, is the mystery of what your really saying. Where would the fun be if you sat down and explained some of these things to me. I'd rather keep on guessing ;)

I have to confuse the spys.

Dravion
01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I have...but it was a couple of years ago. My old group from Missouri, where I use to live came up to celebrate my 21st birthday, and I called off work and told them I was sick. We met at their hotel room and gamed in their room then bar hopped the rest of the night, after a great 10 hour gaming session.

nijineko
01-26-2008, 05:51 AM
i have never called in without a legitimate reason. legitimate to me.

in fact, come to think of it. i don't think i've ever had work dispute the legitimacy of my reasons. just the frequency. ^^ and for those, i had medical documentation. =D

rabkala
01-26-2008, 12:01 PM
To the phone; *cough* I am so sick, I can't make it.

Off the phone: Wow, I feel miraculously better. No sense wasting the day going to work.

:D

Mulsiphix
01-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I will admit though that every time I have called in sick to pursue some form of entertainment, I always feel guilty and the days activities feel quite empty. In the end I know I'm letting somebody down that was counting on me and that never settles well. Not to mention I usually find myself really needing the pay I missed that day when it comes time to pay my bills. I think karma definitely comes into play when you call in sick for no good reason. This is most obvious when your actually sick and they won't cut you a break :rolleyes:

nijineko
01-28-2008, 07:01 AM
i'm not so sure about the karma angle. i had good reasons every time, and they still gave me crap. 'course it was the government i was working for at the time....

tesral
01-28-2008, 09:18 AM
i'm not so sure about the karma angle. i had good reasons every time, and they still gave me crap. 'course it was the government i was working for at the time....

Dude, that is all they have in stock.

Mulsiphix
01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Dude, that is all they have in stock.LOL :D. Just like the DMV. Noway your dealing with them and walking away going "well that was a pleasant experience" :p

tesral
01-28-2008, 09:35 PM
LOL :D. Just like the DMV. Noway your dealing with them and walking away going "well that was a pleasant experience" :p

Thou kiddest not. The best I ever got was: "That wasn't too painful".

nijineko
02-01-2008, 08:41 AM
my last experience was on the order of 'whoops, did we fail to catch another error on your license?' x3....

Mulsiphix
02-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Last time I went to the DMV was six years ago. They told me I had to call some number because my license was locked. I called and they said I owed somebody $6,000 for a car accident I had four years earlier. I didn't have the money to get a lawyer to work it out for me so I just didn't go back. Been hitching a ride ever since. Thank god I don't leave the house that often and I'm married :o

nijineko
02-02-2008, 03:10 AM
eventually it'll either be sent to collections, or it'll be dropped. the problem is knowing how long to wait till that'll happen. the collections is easy, you'll get phone calls. the other won't happen if you keep showing your face and reminding them of your existance. ^^ seems like you're on the right track so far. you could always get a scooter. if they are under 15-30cc in size, they are legal to drive without a license.

or you could always stand upon your constitutional rights. according to the law, you cannot be required to have a license to drive. they never TELL you that, of course, but it's true. you are guarenteed in the constitution the right to free and uninhibited travel "by the means of the day".

back then, that meant horses and buggys and wagons and coaches. nowadays, that means cars. but the law has not changed. so you can legally drive without a license, if you are an american citizen. ^^ i have a friend who did this. after about 4 months he got pulled over and taken in cause he had no license. he cited his constitutional rights, and that took the officer back.

well, they held him downtown for a while, but had to let him go, because they could not legally charge him with anything, as he had techinically not broken the law!! the judge said, that it was a personal first, that she'd run into this situation, but she wasn't going to open the can of worms by trying to rule one way or the other on it. so they had to let him go.

strange but true! =D

Mulsiphix
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
The Details Of The Story For Those Interested

I was in a car accident in 1999. My car was demolished by a very large truck which the driver himself admitted to police only had a scratch on the bumper. Two weeks later I got a bill from Farmers Insurance for the paint bill for said bumper. I didn't pay it, as I now had no job and was already being evicted from my apartment. I never heard anything about it again. Two years later I went into the DMV to renew my license and they said I had to call a number. When I called the number they couldn't tell me why I owed $6,000. They gave me his name (which I remembered) and an address. They said I had to resolve the matter which him and that no futher information was available, not even a phone number.

I called that same DMV given number several times and nobody would transfer me to a supervisor and the information given to me was always the same. I did a little research and found that under Texas law you could not be sued for anything if you were not informed (served papers) of a lawsuit within two years of the date the incident occurred.

I never heard from Farmers Insurance, I never received a letter in the mail, I was not served papers in any fashion for a lawsuit; I was never contacted or made aware of any lawsuit. I owe $6,000 to this guy but have no direct way to contact him, his attorney, or reference the court case in which he was awarded this sum of money. Basically I should be able to get out of this if I can hire an attorney to look at my case. I've already tried looking up pro-bono lawyers and couldn't find anybody that would take my case. I don't think it would cost more than a couple thousands to resolve this matter but have been "hardly making it by" for the last eight years. Not to mention my wife drives and we don't even actually own a car (we share one with my mom who lives five miles away).

I'm certain I could fix this if I had the funds but it has never really been something I "needed" to do, not that I could afford it. If it was more pressing I'm sure I could find a way to come up with the money but so far it hasn't been worth my trouble. For all I know it has worked itself out by now. I haven't been back to the DMV in eight years :rolleyes:

Snuffy
02-04-2008, 08:16 AM
$6k for a paint job? Something smells fishy. Did you have insurance when the accident happened and were you given a copy of the accident report?

nijineko
02-04-2008, 08:19 AM
very fishy. and your car should have been paid for if you had insurance.

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I didn't even have liability. If I had a copy of the accident report, as I don't recall now, it is long gone. I've moved about nine times since that apartment, one was a breakup where I lost just about everything to my name. I'm sure I could find it if I dig though.

nijineko
02-04-2008, 10:17 AM
wow, you could make a country western-ish rpg about you life, mul! call it "vagabond:i ain't got no luck, and then it goes downhill!" the rpg of chaotic misery. well, it'd make an interesting ccg, at the very least. ^^

Mulsiphix
02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Thats a great idea. So far I've only created a custom MTG card set for my life and the car accident troubles were one of the expansions. Maybe I should turn my misery into gold! I know a fellow sufferer who made the jump and got picked up (http://www.white-wolf.com/pimp/index.php) by White Wolf.

cplmac
02-05-2008, 03:29 PM
In the 16 years since getting out of the military, I have only called of twice for being sick. Unfortunately for me, both times involved puking my guts out due to some stomach virus. Would not wish that illness on anyone. The second time was this past December. To make matters worse, my wife and youngest daughter had it at the same time.

nijineko
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
that happened to us once too. all three (at the time) of us caught something nasty and spent a week or so hovering over the toilet or trashcan.... little boy got paranoid and started crying if he saw us pick up and move the trashcan. =( poor guy!

cplmac
02-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Fortunately, I don't think my daughter will remember it since she was only 10 months old at the time. Also, ours was only a 24 hour ordeal. I would hate to have to deal with that for a whole week.

Mulsiphix
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
As a teenager somebody convinced me it would be a good idea, for "fun", to grind up these plant seeds (wont say what). I got the "fun" but before it hit I had the worst puking session of my entire life. Turns out the human stomach cannot digest the husks of these particular seeds. My stomach rejected every last teeny tiny bit over a thirty minute period. I used to hate throwing up so bad. I hated the gut wrenching and abdominal pain. I never touched the stuff again and whenever I get sick I'm always thankful it is never even close to what I went through when I was a teen :(

tesral
02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
As a teenager somebody convinced me it would be a good idea, for "fun", to grind up these plant seeds (wont say what). I got the "fun" but before it hit I had the worst puking session of my entire life. Turns out the human stomach cannot digest the husks of these particular seeds. My stomach rejected every last teeny tiny bit over a thirty minute period. I used to hate throwing up so bad. I hated the gut wrenching and abdominal pain. I never touched the stuff again and whenever I get sick I'm always thankful it is never even close to what I went through when I was a teen :(

Nature's way of telling you not to do that. I'm with y'all on not liking to puke. I had the stomach virus thing last year. Ugh. I felt fine as long as nothing but clear liquids touched my stomach.

nijineko
02-07-2008, 02:31 AM
9 days. 9 days of nothing but saltines and liquids. and for the first three, i couldn't even take the saltines.

Mulsiphix
02-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Saltines remind me of a crash diet I did that only involved eating rice cakes. Now even the smell of them invokes nausea :(

tesral
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Saltines remind me of a crash diet I did that only involved eating rice cakes. Now even the smell of them invokes nausea :(

They do that to me and I never did the diet. The things remains me of packing peanuts, but without the yummy plastic flavor.

Drohem
02-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Those rice cakes are like eating styrofoam or cardboard, yuk!

cplmac
02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I would rather chew on an old shoe before one of those rice cakes. I don't think that the shoe would be as chewy.

rabkala
02-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I had a girlfriend who was really into the rice cakes. Even bizarre flavored ones that tasted nothing like what they claimed. Then again, compared to her cooking, even rice cakes seemed edible. I guess I would rather die fat and happy if rice cakes were my only option for losing weight.

Drohem
02-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Amen brother, amen!

Mulsiphix
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I second that! Praise rabkala! Thou speaketh the truth!!

I literally cannot eat them anymore. Funny how something, not rice cakes though, can taste so good but after you eat it over and over again you start to hate it. I can still drink orange soda and feel like I'm drinking watered down Flintstones vitamins :eek:

nijineko
02-09-2008, 01:21 AM
the ones made in japan are actually better. they fry them in soy sause and add (very light) flavoring. they actually have taste. ^^ not the ideal diet, but better than the versions over here in america. a couple of them are actually good, but you have to find just the right ones. out of the 50,000 varieties that are in the stores over there. ^^; besides, you know the girls that eat those rice cakes are slathering them with mayo or dressing or other stuff. especially when noone else is looking.

Mulsiphix
02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
I've heard of fried rice but never fried rice cakes :p. I wonder how one of those tastes. Even more interested to learn if I can find them here in the states. Sounds delicious with the added flavor and crunch.

nijineko
02-10-2008, 01:22 AM
do yourself a f(l)avor. ;D go find an asian grocery store, and try those. or better yet, try both for comparision.

cplmac
02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
do yourself a f(l)avor. ;D go find an asian grocery store, and try those. or better yet, try both for comparision.

Was wondering if the price of "western" food in specialty stores in asia is as expensive as the asian food is in specialty stores here? Or is it because it is considered to be healthier for you?

boulet
02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Was wondering if the price of "western" food in specialty stores in asia is as expensive as the asian food is in specialty stores here? Or is it because it is considered to be healthier for you?

Seriously ? They charge a lot on asian food where you are ? When I go to asian supermarkets I usually find very inexpensive treats there. For instance I stock on various frozen dumplings/pot stickers, easy to prepare and tasty to eat. Candy and dry fruits are really a bargain too. And should I even mention how affordable are the tea, noodles and rice in general ?

cplmac
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Seriously ? They charge a lot on asian food where you are ? When I go to asian supermarkets I usually find very inexpensive treats there. For instance I stock on various frozen dumplings/pot stickers, easy to prepare and tasty to eat. Candy and dry fruits are really a bargain too. And should I even mention how affordable are the tea, noodles and rice in general ?

Yes, if you are in a store that only sells that food. In regular grocery stores, it's not that expensive, but the brands names are different and seem to be "americanized" versions of that item. Maybe the local market isn't as large here and the laws of supply and demand are coming into play here.

boulet
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe the local market isn't as large here and the laws of supply and demand are coming into play here.
I would expect that the size of your local Asian community is of importance indeed... Just like with any cultural group, where they are in number you can expect to find a good supply (in price and authenticity) of foreign food/products.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Specialty store prices are usually rape here in the states. If you can manage to find international goodies, like Pocky at Walmart, at big chain stores then your good to go. Otherwise you better be ready to pay. I used to import Pocky at $2 a box and paid shipping. Now I can get it for $0.97 cents at my local Walmart.

at5115
03-10-2008, 05:55 PM

When I lived in Japan (for 3 years)- McDonald's was touted as health food :(.

But yes, the two "Foreign Food" stores I frequented (before going native so as not to squander my meagre pay packet) were quite expensive - but everything has to be shipped or flown in. Although, curiously, the cheapest place to get a decent hot dog in Fukushima was at the movie theater,

Melefresh

nijineko
03-14-2008, 01:53 AM
and the only place to get real peanut butter in japan was waaaaay out in the plains of the chiba penisula... =(

shakey's pizza was a great bargin... tabehodai (all you can eat) lunch buffet. we would have to sneak in casue as soon as they noticed us (americans) there, they started putting out all the extreme pizzas. (squid corn cheese pizza, anyone?)

a lot of places, especially the nikuhodai (all-you-can-eat-meat places) even had signs stating that americans were only allowed to eat for one hour.

however, the treasure trove of all resturaunts that i've ever eaten at in japan, was in the college town of tsukuba-shi in ibaraki-ken. tiny little place called "ran ran". hole in the street type of place, in the middle of a bunch of college danchi's that should have been condemed about 30 years ago, just off of nishi-odori (west street) behind the karaoke place down the street from the onsen. only 700yen and they'd give you a mixing bowl sized bowl of heaping rice and whatever else you'd ordered tossed in. it was great. even we could barely finish off one normal sized bowl. as far as cheap eating out went, it was heaven. and it tasted good too! =D college dives are sometimes the best.

and yes, all the foreign food marts over in japan (that i saw) were insanely expensive. although i'd occasionally cough up the money for real peanut butter.

at least the milk was good! 4% minimum! =D back in the states, even "whole milk" tasted like water to me.

StarLady98
05-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I've called in 15 times in 2007. 5 times because of my kids, once because I was sick, Twice due to parties, the rest were greatly influenced by staying up too late gaming.

That was most of mine, and it was in my college days. It was generally a kind of "Oh crud, when did it become 5AM?" type of deal. I felt sleep was a little more critical than attempting to work at that point.

I will admit to calling of work to play Final Fantasy X though....

Jakabok
05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
In my first years of college, I either slept in due to late gaming and missed classes, or skipped evening classes so I could make the game on time.

Jakabok

Ghoulsick
08-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I haven't ever called in lat to work or called in so I didn't have to show. Of course, I do run my own business now. When I was younger there wasn't even an option to call in. So, I guess I'm lucky

nijineko
08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
looking to expand your business any? ;D

Webhead
08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
I've never called in to work (or skipped classes in school) for "RPG" purposes but that probably has a lot to do with our play schedule.

In high school we played at lunch or on the weekends...not much reason or opportunity for skipping school as most of us had no car and none of us lived in anything close to the same neighborhoods.

In college, everyone who played was either going to school or had a steady 9-5 job, so we only played on Friday or Saturday nights. Nobody was taking any night classes, so there was no conflict there.

Joining the workforce was much the same. All my players work pretty steady 9-5, so that leaves little use to "calling in" as even if I did, everybody else would be at work and I would have no one to game with. We also are moderately distant (30 minutes or so) geographically, which makes play on weeknights impractical. Add to that the families of 3 of us in the group and you begin to see how relatively little leeway there is in scheduling the kind of gaming that would keep us from going to work.

Part of me misses the "play 'till 3 in the morning" gaming that we used to do. I'm just happy that we manage to get together to game consistently twice a month. Any less than that would probably drive me nuts.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Even though i have never called in sick for an rpg game, i voted "yes" in the poll. Why? Because if ever there was a conflict with work and a game, i would call in sick.

Thoth-Amon

Vicor
08-12-2008, 02:33 AM
I've used my sick-time for days off to play games or to recover form playing them. This may happen once a year, but when it does the "illness" usually will last a couple days. Might as well make it worth taking the time off.

Stormhound
08-12-2008, 04:55 AM
I've never called in sick to play, but it looks like I'm calling in sick today. Bleh... :puke:

Ramzei
08-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I have never and will never put my job or reputation on the line to miss a day of work under false pretenses. I have worked 20 hour days after getting one hour of sleep due to gaming, but NEVER call off unless I am all but dead.

Briarthorn
08-13-2008, 02:45 AM
I called in sick to increase my odds of getting a house placement on ultima online. And... I called in sick because I stayed up too late playing World of Warcraft online and there was no way I could make it to work and not fall asleep at the wheel. Haven't done it for dnd yet but there's still time. :biggrin:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-13-2008, 03:01 AM
I have never and will never put my job or reputation on the line to miss a day of work under false pretenses. I have worked 20 hour days after getting one hour of sleep due to gaming, but NEVER call off unless I am all but dead.
False pretenses? I'm allowed a number of personal days a year so i take advantage of what's rightfully given to me. Use them or lose them.

Thoth-Amon

Ramzei
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
False pretenses? I'm allowed a number of personal days a year so i take advantage of what's rightfully given to me. Use them or lose them.

Thoth-Amon

One of my jobs included sick days in with vacation. The other one, which was the way you describe, I did use my sick days. But they were planned out in advance with my boss so I wasn't sticking anyone.

nijineko
08-14-2008, 08:24 PM
the last time i called in sick, the supervisor hung up on me. cheh. i never call off unless there is a true (and legitimate) need.

drewshi
08-15-2008, 06:54 AM
As a kid in high school, I called in sick to work to play D&D. It was actually a 24 hour marathon session and I knew I couldn't get the time off as we were short staffed. Ah, the evils of youth.

Briarthorn
08-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I also called in sick to see Lord of the Rings when it came out... I don't think I'd do that now though. My job is more important than it was in those days.

SpiffyBananaFoot
08-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I chose "I've called-in-sick to work (or school) because of a RPG." because I used to call in for just about any reason at all. In thinking about this question I am disturbed because at some point in the not so distant past, I made a transition to not calling in sick at all even when I am sick. I am not sure when I made that transition, but here I am and I'm not so sure I'm happy about it.

nijineko
08-15-2008, 05:37 PM
your boss is probably pretty happy, though. ^^

rabkala
08-16-2008, 03:07 AM
at some point in the not so distant past, I made a transition to not calling in sick at all even when I am sick. I am not sure when I made that transition, but here I am and I'm not so sure I'm happy about it.

I almost made that transition once... Then I felt like I was dieing inside and called in sick because of that too!!! :p

Chi
08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
I have never called in sick unless I am sick. That is if I even call in for really being sick the more money I have the more stuff I can buy for my rpg's!

Etarnon
12-10-2008, 08:49 PM
No, I have never called in sick to play a game.

Ship's Commanding Officers frown on that kind of stuff.

GoddessGood
12-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I've skipped class because I didn't want to get up, but I don't remember if it was because I gamed late or because I'm lazy :o The the latter is probably more likely the true cause.

mrken
12-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I cast my vote for not calling in sick; I've always been an old guy, even when I was ten.

Hennik
12-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm counting this as calling in, even though I didn't speak to anyone, but there was at least (though I think only) one occasion that I skipped class (college) because I stayed up late playing D&D and just wanted to keep sleeping. I've never done it for work though, and I'm not sure I could...
-Hennik

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
12-11-2008, 12:58 PM
All the time. all the time. It makes me wonder about my potential value as a prospective employee who costs more than I produce :( I need to get my act together before grad school. gad zeuks

Although there are some miraculous things that have happened. Staying up all night playing a game, taking a 7am chemistry final, and acing it. getting a 98% percentile PSAT in highschool after 48 hours of wakefulness and grievous poly-intoxication. etc. But I cannot always rely on good fortune. I need to 'get real'. With my languorous indolence and listless apathy, my lack of willpower and self-discipline, I am terrified of failing in life, at least financially. I am already in a dire financial situation from medical stuff. Ill need loans for grad school.
But RPGs are the least of many reasons for my current predicament.

It is a problem that I have never faced any serious consequences for a noncommittal attitude towards school. but then again, chemistry and psats are childrens toys. For some classes (molecular cell, orgo, p-chem) I had to literally compromise my physical health and mental well-being to get As. I had to do this Mary Poppins thing where I told myself
"now now Jane and Michael, studying for your finals can be a most delightful application! We simply have to make it a game!"

1958Fury
12-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I voted no, but back in college, I did miss a couple of classes because I was playing a MUD in the computer lab.

12-12-2008, 03:48 AM
I had a girlfriend who was really into the rice cakes. Even bizarre flavored ones that tasted nothing like what they claimed. Then again, compared to her cooking, even rice cakes seemed edible. I guess I would rather die fat and happy if rice cakes were my only option for losing weight.

Indeed. don't even bother with dieting. just aim for health. Its all genetics. believe me about the genetics thing, no matter people say about stuff like lifestyle.

Etarnon
12-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Its all genetics. believe me about the genetics thing, no matter people say about stuff like lifestyle.

Your post is flatly incorrect as regards diabetes, high blood pressure, and other maladies that are directly related to diet, and lifestyle.

12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
:cool:
http://www.yisongyue.com/silly/misc/ObeseMouse.jpghttp://

12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Im sure. not that I would know anything about genetics lol.

clearly, one of these mice is just terribly lazy and gluttonous, im sure!
guess which one was starved it's whole life?

http://www.labnews.co.uk/cms_images/Image/May/ObeseMouseweb%281%29.jpg

GoddessGood
12-15-2008, 04:38 PM
The one on the far left, nicknamed Kate Mouse. It's too thin to see in this shot, though. :lol:

Dark
12-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Hell I still call in sick sometimes and I'm 40! ;)

GoddessGood
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
I wish I could have called in sick :( Not enough paid time off for that.

12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Back in the 1950s, businesses were insanely lenient about sick leave and vacation time. I guess they weren't competing with the emerging economies, just the USSR.

and adjusted income, relative to today, was insanely high in the 1950s

Moritz
01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
This is neither a case overeating or exercise. This is a 'genetic' experiment.

The mouse on the left is Leptin deficient. Leptin is a protein produced by fat cells under direction of the ob gene that decreases appetite and increases energy expenditure - sometimes called the ob protein.

Therefore, the experiment ran on these mice displays the turning off of the ob gene in both mice. The one on the right received leptin injections and remained a regular weight. The one on the left did not, therefore became obese.

So yes, this is a genetic disposition and yes, genetics can cause weight issues.

Understand, we should live in a reality based community, one based on observations - not on faith, assumptions, or ideals. So don't go assuming that just because someone is fat they're lazy or gluttonous.

Im sure. not that I would know anything about genetics lol.

clearly, one of these mice is just terribly lazy and gluttonous, im sure!
guess which one was starved it's whole life?

http://www.labnews.co.uk/cms_images/Image/May/ObeseMouseweb%281%29.jpg

01-07-2009, 02:13 AM
This is neither a case overeating or exercise. This is a 'genetic' experiment.

The mouse on the left is Leptin deficient. Leptin is a protein produced by fat cells under direction of the ob gene that decreases appetite and increases energy expenditure - sometimes called the ob protein.

Therefore, the experiment ran on these mice displays the turning off of the ob gene in both mice. The one on the right received leptin injections and remained a regular weight. The one on the left did not, therefore became obese.

So yes, this is a genetic disposition and yes, genetics can cause weight issues.

Understand, we should live in a reality based community, one based on observations - not on faith, assumptions, or ideals. So don't go assuming that just because someone is fat they're lazy or gluttonous.

Thank you! Moritz!

I am glad to see you are familiar with the experiment. the gene was actually ligated out with cDNA in the mouse embryos, so the gene was 'knocked out' and not so much turned off (harder to do and involves siRNAs or other hormones)
I am not sure if it was the leptin gene they knocked out or the ghrelin / obistatin / pre-proghrelin gene

there are actually many hormones (some being peptides like leptin and ghrelin), with numerous origins, that influence the hypothalamic, mesolimbic, and nucleus accumbens mediated energy expenditure and intake of the whole organism.
Most dysregulation of energy homeostasis not caused by SNPs in relevant genes are caused by external stressor, which are common enough.

I am always so pissed off at the way the media and so called 'Health Care' community demonize, criticize, and mock overweight or obese people and act like it is the most terrible thing. Its like like they want people to worry more about their weight than smoking or STDs.

But one sad thing to realize is that the world will always be superficial like this and that popular opinions and understanding will not change very much, regardless of how it changes or develops in the academic community.

Goreaddict
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
called in sick to play d&d with a huge group :D was when i first started playing and it was epic. Other than that i missed an entire week of school for Halo 3 and Gears of war 2 >.< me and a bunch just laid out doesn't hurt me straight a's (b in prob and stats >.> )

Rook
05-24-2009, 09:58 PM
We all occasionally need a mental health day. I didn't take one this year, but it's probably the first year that I haven't done so in the last decade.

tesral
05-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Zombie thread!!

Panthro82
05-25-2009, 07:30 AM
mental health is exactly how I look at it. and I have almost never felt bad calling in. I look at it like if I don't do it occasionally, the constant day in and day out routine of working will drag my energy down, which will effect my performance. Like steering a ship and being off by 1 degree. Being off by 1 degree means nothing in the short run. Over a long period of time however, you wind up waaay off course. I look at it like they should be thanking me that I decided 15 minutes before I was supposed to leave my house for work, that I instead decided to sit down and play video games most of the day. Or taking the day off to have a LOTR marathon(all 3 in a row) :) In the long run I will be more productive for having missed that day to indulge. I used to do this often at my old job, because they treated me like crap and the job sucked. I didn't do it once at my last job because they were nazi's and if you missed 1 day within the first 3 years of working there without it being death in the family or being hospitalized, you would be fired.

GoddessGood
05-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Taking a day off wouldn't have done me much good this past weekend. Both games got canceled :( It'll be a month and a half between my last game and my next one, which is totally uncool because I'm in two group with no overlap. I'll go over in the corner and pout some more ;)

WhiteTiger
08-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I have called in sick because we stayed up too late trying to finish an adventure or campaign... it happens. :sleep:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
We all occasionally need a mental health day. I didn't take one this year, but it's probably the first year that I haven't done so in the last decade.

mental health is exactly how I look at it. and I have almost never felt bad calling in. I look at it like if I don't do it occasionally, the constant day in and day out routine of working will drag my energy down, which will effect my performance. Like steering a ship and being off by 1 degree. Being off by 1 degree means nothing in the short run. Over a long period of time however, you wind up waaay off course. I look at it like they should be thanking me that I decided 15 minutes before I was supposed to leave my house for work, that I instead decided to sit down and play video games most of the day. Or taking the day off to have a LOTR marathon(all 3 in a row) :) In the long run I will be more productive for having missed that day to indulge. I used to do this often at my old job, because they treated me like crap and the job sucked. I didn't do it once at my last job because they were nazi's and if you missed 1 day within the first 3 years of working there without it being death in the family or being hospitalized, you would be fired.

You both nailed it. It definitely is a mental health day.

Scott
08-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Sure, I've "called in sick" when in reality I could have gone in. I've done it a few times when there was a event like going to a movie or a renaissance fair... but, I don't think I've ever called in because of a RPG -either playing one or recovering from a late night session...

syllander
08-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Unless you can call in sick from being medically retired, nope can't say that I have. :laugh: I have known a few to do so though.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-13-2009, 09:50 PM
In most jobs, you gain no benefit in any way by having the most sick time saved. Why not use it, everyone else does.

tesral
08-13-2009, 10:38 PM
In most jobs, you gain no benefit in any way by having the most sick time saved. Why not use it, everyone else does.

Do you get dead time from work?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I just take what i want. <Just one more benefit from being an Arch Lich>

tesral
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
I just take what i want. <Just one more benefit from being an Arch Lich>

What is the advantage in standing under arches?

Dytrrnikl
08-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Maybe I'm a workoholic or just a glutton for punishment...since I was 16, there have only been 5 times when I missed work, 19 - missed 1 day for a broken foot, didn't have insurance, was given a wooden shoe thing that tied over the foot with canvas, never did listen to Doc about staying off it for 4 to 6 weeks; 25 - missed 3 separate days for 3 separate funerals of close family in up state NY; 3 years ago I missed 4 days after getting my wisdom teeth removed. In my own rather warped and twisted perspective, there is never a good reason to miss work, though there are legitimate reasons - the aforementioned 'mental health days' don't qualify for either for me, I don't fault anyone else for taking them...I just can't bring myself to take one. Hell, I rarely if ever take vacation time - did twice, the weekend I got married in May 2007 and then a week for the honeymoon. Yes, I admit, I'm disturbed.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Maybe I'm a workoholic or just a glutton for punishment...since I was 16, there have only been 5 times when I missed work, 19 - missed 1 day for a broken foot, didn't have insurance, was given a wooden shoe thing that tied over the foot with canvas, never did listen to Doc about staying off it for 4 to 6 weeks; 25 - missed 3 separate days for 3 separate funerals of close family in up state NY; 3 years ago I missed 4 days after getting my wisdom teeth removed. In my own rather warped and twisted perspective, there is never a good reason to miss work, though there are legitimate reasons - the aforementioned 'mental health days' don't qualify for either for me, I don't fault anyone else for taking them...I just can't bring myself to take one. Hell, I rarely if ever take vacation time - did twice, the weekend I got married in May 2007 and then a week for the honeymoon. Yes, I admit, I'm disturbed.
Can't fault you for admitting it. The first part of the healing process is to be able to admit you have a problem.

All kidding aside, i use to be like you, then i realized that i was only robbing myself from mental health time.

traesin
09-24-2009, 03:50 AM
I've only called in sick to go to a game a couple of times in my life. I hate missing work, i need the money. One of my ex's actually took a phone call at work and told me and our boss that his grandma was sick and he had to leave. Since I was his ride i had to go too. It wasn't until we got to the car that the person on the phone was our gaming buddy and that we we're going to go play D&D. What could I say? He was the DM......

Arkhemedes
09-24-2009, 07:39 AM
I've called in sick on a slow day at work so I could stay at home and work on my campaign.

michael
09-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I have done it.

Thorn
10-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I never have, if I'm that ill or sick I don't need to cross comtaminate friends at work or play.:)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I never have, if I'm that ill or sick I don't need to cross comtaminate friends at work or play.:)
Great call. It has been proven that more work hours have been lost when a sick employee goes to work and contaminates the whole crowd.

tesral
10-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Thread necrophilia here. Thoth is excused, he can't help it. Spiders in the brain case I understand.

Banshee
10-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Back when I was a kid in high school, I actually got fired from an afterschool job for calling in sick too much in order to play D&D! LOL

Later in life, I learned a crucial lesson: call in sick, but stay within the limits of your allotted sick time!

kkriegg
10-09-2009, 01:10 AM
The company I used to work at simply had vacation and sick days rolled into "personal time" that you could take whenever. So I've never technically called in sick to play an RPG.

tesral
05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa/images/films/1999junaug/mummy.jpg

Law
05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
The company I used to work at simply had vacation and sick days rolled into "personal time" that you could take whenever. So I've never technically called in sick to play an RPG.
Until I started my new job (today), that was my situation too. I only had a certain number of "personal" days, regardless of the reason. But yes, I have missed work to RP. :D

tesral
09-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Called in sick? This thread was dead.

Otakar
09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Not since I've been an adult. I cut 12 days straight to game in grade school. I've surfed a lot of gaming at work and in my last job I actually spent hours working on my blog. It was a slow government job. :)

Mook
09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Many moons ago, I worked the overnight shift from midnight - 10am. The game I ran started at 7pm so we could stop around 11:30pm.

Yeah, that didn't always work out so great. Pretty sure I took a lot of sick days.

tesral
11-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Once again the thread fails to call in dead.

Snuffy
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Once again the thread fails to call in dead.
Funny, I've called in dead to my boss but he knows it to be a personal day and something I usually ask for days in advance.